Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,401 members, 7,815,872 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:57 PM

Rahama Or Umuani? - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Rahama Or Umuani? (12978 Views)

Photo: Mavin Star Di’ja Visits Girl With No Limb Rahama Haruna In Kano / Rahama Sadau Gets A Rooftop Suprise Birthday Party. Daul Celebration. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rahama Or Umuani? by ponytail: 6:36am On Nov 29, 2009
tpia.:

Monogamy in Islam:

http://www.sistersinislam.org.my/index.php?Itemid=194&id=417&option=com_content&task=view

Very instructive, but it doesn't state that polygamy is not allowed unless the man 'fears' that he is unable to treat all wives equally (a very objective standard), and it merely suggests that polygamy is not a norm and encourages monogamy but does not outrightly outlaw polygamy which is what would give women better protection. But then again, its left to be seen that Mohammed is treating any of his wives unjustly, and if he is, well ---
Re: Rahama Or Umuani? by Nobody: 6:37am On Nov 29, 2009
sjeezy8:

she is her real name is ndidi

ndidi is her middle name
Re: Rahama Or Umuani? by Nobody: 6:40am On Nov 29, 2009
ponytail:

Very instructive, but it doesn't state that polygamy is not allowed unless the man 'fears' that he is unable to treat all wives equally (a very objective standard), and it merely suggests that polygamy is not a norm and encourages monogamy but does not outrightly outlaw polygamy which is what would give women better protection. But then again, its left to be seen that Mohammed is treating any of his wives unjustly, and if he is, well ---

well, like the site points out, going by Mohammed's example, he was monogamous for over 25 years, while he was married to his first wife.

I personally know some other muslims who only married one wife. Even there in Nigeria.

its just the Nigerian culture which makes them hang on to the four wife and many concubine thingy which as we all know is practiced by non-muslims as well.
Re: Rahama Or Umuani? by ponytail: 6:41am On Nov 29, 2009
Her maiden name was Ndidi Okogwu, she was supposed to be in a serious relationship to Bongos Ikwue before she met IBB when he was stationed in Asaba, she left Bongos, converted to Islam, married IBB and became known as Maryam Babangida
Re: Rahama Or Umuani? by Nobody: 6:42am On Nov 29, 2009
^^ I'm not sure she converted (ie that she wasnt muslim before), but if thats the official story then no problem.

You and sjeezy may be right.

btw I was reading somewhere that this Bongo Ikwe played music at her wedding.

Are you sure their relationship was that serious?
Re: Rahama Or Umuani? by ponytail: 6:53am On Nov 29, 2009
tpia.:

well, like the site points out, going by Mohammed's example, he was monogamous for over 25 years, while he was married to his first wife.

I personally know some other muslims who only married one wife. Even there in Nigeria.

its just the Nigerian culture which makes them hang on to the four wife and many concubine thingy which as we all know is practiced by non-muslims as well.

True and everything seems to point to personal choices and not to legality within the tenets of Islam. There is a difference in legal status between polygamous marriages under Muslim law and non Muslim law (especially when the marriage to the first wife was done in a licensed place of worship or Registry) so I'm not certain it boils down to culture. And if anything, the influence of Islam is so strong in the North, it's basically overshadowed custom. There haven't been a lot of purely Northern customs in practice for a long time, more especially now that most Northern states are governed by Sharia.

Anyway, I sympathize with Rahama, no woman would want to share a husband, but i doubt that it could have been such a curve ball given the circumstances (unless she was completely in the dark) - a man and a woman have been in love and fighting family influence to get married for several years, another woman is arranged for that man to marry - its just likely that the man would still have strong feelings for his first love, and take advantage of any permissibility to marry her subsequently.
Re: Rahama Or Umuani? by ponytail: 6:54am On Nov 29, 2009
tpia.:

I was reading somewhere that this Bongo Ikwe played music at her wedding.

Are you sure their relationship was that serious?

lol! that's anybody's guess
Re: Rahama Or Umuani? by Nobody: 6:56am On Nov 29, 2009
ponytail:

True and everything seems to point to personal choices and not to legality within the tenets of Islam. There is a difference in legal status between polygamous marriages under Muslim law and non Muslim law (especially when the marriage to the first wife was done in a licensed place of worship or Registry) so I'm not certain it boils down to culture. And if anything, the influence of Islam is so strong in the North, it's basically overshadowed custom. There haven't been a lot of purely Northern customs in practice for a long time, more especially now that most Northern states are governed by Sharia.

Anyway, I sympathize with Rahama, no woman would want to share a husband, but i doubt that it could have been such a curve ball given the circumstances (unless she was completely in the dark) - a man and a woman have been in love and fighting family influence to get married for several years, another woman is arranged for that man to marry - its just likely that the man would still have strong feelings for his first love, and take advantage of any permissibility to marry her subsequently.

not a good enough excuse, unfortunately.

I dont think the guy values marriage, thats all.

Not even this latest one, regardless which level of love rumor says it is.
Re: Rahama Or Umuani? by ponytail: 6:58am On Nov 29, 2009
Its left to be seen, but then again, that one is his personal brouhaha.
Re: Rahama Or Umuani? by ponytail: 7:07am On Nov 29, 2009
tpia.:

btw I was reading somewhere that this Bongo Ikwe played music at her wedding.

P.S Dude that played at IBB's wedding was Emma Ogosi (husband of Evi-Edna Ogoli of the 'Jealousy/Message to the Youths/I wish you Happy Birthday' fame) with his band - called 'the Expensives'. I don't think Bongos Ikwue was in that band though. Their music sounded the same though.
Re: Rahama Or Umuani? by AloyEmeka6: 7:57pm On Dec 02, 2009
How did you know who played in IBB's wedding that took place almost 40 years ago?
Re: Rahama Or Umuani? by ponytail: 10:51pm On May 05, 2010
It was common knowledge when he was in power Aloy Emeka
Re: Rahama Or Umuani? by Nobody: 12:51am On Oct 21, 2013
Aloy~Emeka:

Education and polygamy has no relationship but money and polygamy have a very strong relationship.

Well said Whole truth.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Falz Giving Out N1 Million To Support Any Creative Idea (Video) / Rare Pic Of Late Actor, Muna Obiekwe In His Casket / PHOTOS : Check Out Heavily Endowed Ex-girlfriend Of Davido And Ghana's "Kim K"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.