Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,591 members, 7,809,144 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:11 AM

Are New Year Resolutions Pointless? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are New Year Resolutions Pointless? (458 Views)

Joy At Mahin Kingdom, Ilaje As They Are New King Elect Emerg / How Do I Achieve My New Year Resolutions / Drop Yournew Year Resolutions Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are New Year Resolutions Pointless? by RosaConsidine: 1:07am On Dec 31, 2016
So….here we are…the final day of the year 2016. Some of us have already started looking back at the year and planning for the coming year. Some of us just want to forget the whole year happened and just move on to the coming year (let’s face it, it’s been a pretty shitty year).

Either way, you’ll be hearing a lot about new year resolutions.

C’mon, let’s face it, there’s some things we’re not satisfied about ourselves over the past year and we wouldn’t like to carry over into the new. Even those of you that roll your eyes at the mention of new year resolutions have one or two things you plan to do differently this coming year.

Bad thing? Not by a stretch.

Here’s the thing; while most of us would break our new year resolutions before the first week is up (put a stopwatch and start counting), it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have new year resolutions at all. The great thing about new year resolutions is the fact that you’ve identified something about yourself that you’re not satisfied with – something you want to change. While it’s not necessarily something you have to wait till the end of the year to change (I mean, if you break it in the first week of 2017, would you wait again till 2018 to try again?), it’s good you’ve figured out what you want to change and you’ve resolved to actually change it. Where there would be a problem is if, after breaking it, you think “ah well, I’ve broken it. Might as well return to the old life”. Every day, every moment, every second is a new year. How do I know this? Because in 365 days, you would come back to that particular second on that particular date – just in a different year.

Don’t give up trying to get better just because you don’t believe in new year resolutions or you’ve broken yours. Let the beginning of the year be like a check mark for a start point not the edge of a cliff. If you fail to keep it, get up, dust yourself and start again from that moment. Remember, every second begins a new year – so you have a new opportunity every day to start on your new year resolution.

Get better. You deserve it if you work for it.

https://completelytier./2016/12/31/are-new-year-resolutions-pointless/

(1) (Reply)

Baale Of Idumota Is The Correct title / Secret Cults / Let's Stop This Madness Before Its Too Late

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.