Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,391 members, 7,958,117 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 09:03 AM

Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage (3627 Views)

What Are The Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage? / Inter-tribal Marraiges / The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by TashaGirl: 2:56pm On Dec 31, 2016
Hello guys, how do you cope please? I mean with the food and the language barrier?

Share your experience and let's see how to over come little little things that make others to run away from the love of their life.

Edakun epp us cry cry
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by Splinz(m): 3:18pm On Dec 31, 2016
Well... I think being in a relationship with a Calabar person for instance, is not that much of a problem except the language barrier. Of course even the language barrier can be easily broken in no time as you get used to it. Meanwhile, you can communicate in English or pidgin with your in-laws or would-be.

Talking of our food, I think Calabar dishes are the most acceptable foods in Nigeria. I mean, there's hardly any Nigerian who doesn't like one or two Calabar food. So I don't think food will pose any problem here.
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by TashaGirl: 3:32pm On Dec 31, 2016
Splinz:
Well... I think being in a relationship with a Calabar person for instance, is not that much of a problem except the language barrier. Of course even the language barrier can be easily broken in no time as you get used to it. Meanwhile, you can communicate in English or pidgin with your in-laws or would-be.

Talking of our food, I think Calabar dishes are the most acceptable foods in Nigeria. I mean, there's hardly any Nigerian who doesn't like one or two Calabar food. So I don't think food will pose any problem here.
ever dated somebody out of your tribe?
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by Nutase: 3:44pm On Dec 31, 2016
Books space
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by Splinz(m): 3:53pm On Dec 31, 2016
TashaGirl:
ever dated somebody out of your tribe?

Yeah, sure. The three major tribes.
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by Nobody: 4:04pm On Dec 31, 2016
If the couple involved don't have village mentality, then I see nothing wrong in it. Language is never a problem cos English bridges it as our official language, nevertheless, you may learn your partner's language at your own pace.

What you really need to watch out for are your partner's relatives, to make sure they don't inflict him with tribal mentality... cos I know some tribes in this Nigeria that would rather die than marry people from other tribes. . . just saying.

3 Likes

Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by TashaGirl: 5:06pm On Dec 31, 2016
Splinz:

Yeah, sure. The three major tribes.
That's good. Will like to know your experience
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by TashaGirl: 5:10pm On Dec 31, 2016
blackberlin:
If the couple involved don't have village mentality, then I see nothing wrong in it. Language is never a problem cos English bridges it as our official language, nevertheless, you may learn your partner's language at your own pace.

What you really need to watch out for are your partner's relatives, to make sure they don't inflict him with tribal mentality... cos I know some tribes in this Nigeria that would rather die than marry people from other tribes. . . just saying.
yeah, I think I know the tribe you are talking about.....Their mothers influence their life and they don't allow strangers in their Family. I'm kind of facing that kind of Ish but I will give up now.
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by Nobody: 5:55pm On Dec 31, 2016
TashaGirl:
yeah, I think I know the tribe you are talking about.....Their mothers influence their life and they don't allow strangers in their Family. I'm kind of facing that kind of Ish but I will give up now.

If you really love him, you can hold on. You can't be too sure it's the mother who's influencing him. If the guy in question likes you enough, kilode, let him also fight for u naw. . . Don't conclude that it's the mother yet, tell him to man up or free you.
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by Ngokafor(f): 6:04pm On Dec 31, 2016
Splinz:

...With all due respect,if this thread was an examination and you give this comment as an answer to the op's question ,i can assure you of at least an F because your response was way off the expected response lipsrsealed embarassed...

4 Likes

Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by Splinz(m): 6:18pm On Dec 31, 2016
Ngokafor:

...With all due respect,if this thread was an examination and you give this comment as an answer to the op's question ,i can assure you of at least an F because your response was way off the expected response lipsrsealed embarassed...

Get your lousy busybody self outta here! How many of your on point and expertise contributions have you offered the op

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by Splinz(m): 6:36pm On Dec 31, 2016
TashaGirl:

Personally, dealing with those outside my tribe hasn't really been a problem to either me or family.

As you've already pointed out, the two major barriers in inter-cultural relationships are language and food. And to me, there're no threats at all.

For example, my Yoruba friends. I don't think there's any of their food I've not eaten. And then the language... well, I know a bit of it but still learning sha.

So, these things are not really much of a problem on my side o, I know to some people it's a no no no... But all the same you can cope if you want to go into or you're already into one. In no time you'll get used to the ways...
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by xynerise: 6:44pm On Dec 31, 2016
Me wey no sabi speak my language well.

We are doing real well

1 Like

Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by maggilove(f): 5:44am On Jan 01, 2017
Its cool because u tend to learn a lot of things if u are not a strong headed person. The language barrier is not a problem for me because he interpretes for me sometimes(I know he can't tell me evrytin), and as for the food I must confess that's d best part, u learn how to eat it first and gradually learn how to cook it, no big deal if u understand eachother.
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by TashaGirl: 7:54am On Jan 01, 2017
maggilove:
Its cool because u tend to learn a lot of things if u are not a strong headed person. The language barrier is not a problem for me because he interpretes for me sometimes(I know he can't tell me evrytin), and as for the food I must confess that's d best part, u learn how to eat it first and gradually learn how to cook it, no big deal if u understand eachother.
woah. I love this.
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by Nobody: 9:59am On Jan 01, 2017
TashaGirl:
woah. I love this.
Not advising you to quit but please do have an honest talk.

You are a lady and for you to enjoy an inter tribal marriage or relationship, the corresponding families must be willing to buy into the idea. I understand families are more mobile and detached but notwithstanding, extended families have much more clout over a marriage than we choose to accept.

You have little say as regards things as you are going to be one and you should be ready to forget wherever you are coming from. Not saying you would lose your identity but be ready to let go of your tribal callings and doings.

Your discussion should centre on this;
Things like where would you guys want to settle back after working and retirement?

What are the differences between both cultures that may cause disagreements?

You may come from a tribe where respect is not that pronounced. Using words like Aunty for someone you are age mates with or older than sef just because they are from your spouse's family might be alien tl you byt maybe integral to his culture.

Most issues bother on human to human relationship and if you are a good human manager you should be able to maneuver well.

Never talk about things or make statements like "this is how we do it in our own tribe" or such. It brings much more strife than you can imagine except you are trying to explain a concept.

Above all be flexible. It is something needed in all relationships.

I am in one and can be a bit confusing even as a guy. I just learn to overlook most things and try and give her warnings ahead of time about pitfalls around my people she shoud try and avoid. Dealing with relatives is my most issue. Visited once and was treated like a "kid" , no respect, no special greetings like i was used to where i was coming from. Felt very bad and i wanted to even cut it out at that point. You can imagine looking into the future and imagining this is the people i have to deal with for eternity? Scary isn't it?

Don't let those butterfly feelings cloud your judgement. Yeah love is real but be logical and think about what it takes. The people around your partner are the most important ish, not the tribe. If they are good, no matter what tribe they are, you would enjoy it and if they are otherwise. I am sorry, the tribe differences would amplify it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by TashaGirl: 10:25am On Jan 01, 2017
x240:
Not advising you to quit but please do have an honest talk.

You are a lady and for you to enjoy an inter tribal marriage or relationship, the corresponding families must be willing to buy into the idea. I understand families are more mobile and detached but notwithstanding, extended families have much more clout over a marriage than we choose to accept.

You have little say as regards things as you are going to be one and you should be ready to forget wherever you are coming from. Not saying you would lose your identity but be ready to let go of your tribal callings and doings.

Your discussion should centre on this;
Things like where would you guys want to settle back after working and retirement?

What are the differences between both cultures that may cause disagreements?

You may come from a tribe where respect is not that pronounced. Using words like Aunty for someone you are age mates with or older than sef just because they are from your spouse's family might be alien tl you byt maybe integral to his culture.

Most issues bother on human to human relationship and if you are a good human manager you should be able to maneuver well.

Never talk about things or make statements like "this is how we do it in our own tribe" or such. It brings much more strife than you can imagine except you are trying to explain a concept.

Above all be flexible. It is something needed in all relationships.

I am in one and can be a bit confusing even as a guy. I just learn to overlook most things and try and give her warnings ahead of time about pitfalls around my people she shoud try and avoid. Dealing with relatives is my most issue. Visited once and was treated like a "kid" , no respect, no special greetings like i was used to where i was coming from. Felt very bad and i wanted to even cut it out at that point. You can imagine looking into the future and imagining this is the people i have to deal with for eternity? Scary isn't it?

Don't let those butterfly feelings cloud your judgement. Yeah love is real but be logical and think about what it takes. The people around your partner are the most important ish, not the tribe. If they are good, no matter what tribe they are, you would enjoy it and if they are otherwise. I am sorry, the tribe differences would amplify it.

exactly what I need. Thanks so much for this. I guess you are yoruna because of that 'respect' and treated like a kid stuff. Lol. We Yorubas are just too addicted to respect and it's strange if we don't get it.
I really appreciate you

1 Like

Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by sisisioge: 10:35am On Jan 01, 2017
Hmmmmm...

Them just bite me.
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by Nobody: 10:49am On Jan 01, 2017
TashaGirl:
exactly what I need. Thanks so much for this. I guess you are yoruna because of that 'respect' and treated like a kid stuff. Lol. We Yorubas are just too addicted to respect and it's strange if we don't get it.
I really appreciate you

Lol. . Not our fault. It is something you grew up with. Nuture and environment.

Although i have installed a Yoruba virus in her now and she can greet people much more than me and respect is something that is easily shown by her to the point that i was stunned when i heard her call me by my name few weeks back which was very suprising as i have not heard her call that name in like 7months only for her to tell me she avoids calling me by my name because of the "cultivatition of respect that the Yorubas require". Wow!

I have had to tell her in a funny way to cut the BS when i call and the first thing i hear is "Good evening".

Thise little things we gloss over are actually things that build up and in the end may impact a relationship in a positive or negative way. I am not the rigid or cultural type but sometimes you can't outplay the subconscious in somethings.

So, please learn about his culture and see if it's something you can live with. Culture is a way of life of a group of people. You can't do without certain aspects but you can always work your way around them.

To me...the kids are the ones that enjoy inter tribal marriages the most. That blend and culture mix does them a lot of good. Like mixture of two different entities embedded in one.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by honeychild(f): 10:54am On Jan 01, 2017
@OP, believe me it's really challenging getting married to someone from another tribe. The main thing you have to do is look at your in laws. Are they tribalistic? How do they sound when they talk about people from other tribes? Especially your MIL. In most families, the moral character of the family is set by the mother. If she is horrible, you can almost be certain that your sisters in law will be worse lol.

Then you need to objectively look at your partner. If he is the type that can stand up to his folks when the shit hits the fan. Or is he the type that likes to sweep stuff under the carpet and never confronts issues?

Basically it boils down to individual families. I have had horrible experiences with my inlaws from another tribe. But i have friends who are in inter tribal marriages and didnt go through the same.

On your own part, You also have to be willing to adapt to a totally different culture. If you are yoruba planning to marry an igbo person, just forget about all that formal respect we have. Then be ready to have a lot of relatives flocking in and out of your home and acting like they own the place. Basically don't approach it with the mindset that there's a right way to do things and a wrong way (culture wise). Just accept that things can be done differently to what you are used to and still be alright.

Basically flexibility on your part is very important.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by Nobody: 11:00am On Jan 01, 2017
sisisioge:
Hmmmmm...

Them just bite me.
Why did you have to edit it out.

Just wanted to ask if you found the bobo at last?
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by sisisioge: 11:00am On Jan 01, 2017
x240:
Why dod you have to wdit it out.

Just wanted to ask if you found the bobo at last?

Which Bobo?
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by Berbierklaus(f): 11:03am On Jan 01, 2017
Intertribal relationships and marriage is not any different from the daily interaction with people from other tribe,the only difference is inculcating the way of life of your spouse and getting assimilated into their way of reasoning and operating.

The real problem is when you have a big fight/quarel/issue with your spouse,especially when it involves his or her family.
Happened to me recently,then you will start seeing the potholes in the different cultural background.

So had a big fight with boo,called his dad to report and his dad said OK,then told boo to handle the situation, it hurt me coz I know if it was my own dad that he reported to,he would want to know what went wring,chastise me where necessary etc.

So I think that's basically one of the many challenges to expect when venturing into one

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by Nobody: 11:04am On Jan 01, 2017
sisisioge:

Which Bobo?
same yoruba demon we have always been looking out for.
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by sisisioge: 11:13am On Jan 01, 2017
x240:

same yoruba demon we have always been looking out for.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin no babes...Hmmmmm, I'm kinda gonna relax my search for him until after the first quarter. Wanna face other things wink
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by Acidosis(m): 11:26am On Jan 01, 2017
TashaGirl:

there is nothing to learn about dating. Anybody can date anything.
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by TashaGirl: 11:51am On Jan 01, 2017
x240:

Lol. . Not our fault. It is something you grew up with. Nuture and environment.

Although i have installed a Yoruba virus in her now and she can greet people much more than me and respect is something that is easily shown by her to the point that i was stunned when i heard her call me by my name few weeks back which was very suprising as i have not heard her call that name in like 7months only for her to tell me she avoids calling me by my name because of the "cultivatition of respect that the Yorubas require". Wow!

I have had to tell her in a funny way to cut the BS when i call and the first thing i hear is "Good evening".

Thise little things we gloss over are actually things that build up and in the end may impact a relationship in a positive or negative way. I am not the rigid or cultural type but sometimes you can't outplay the subconscious in somethings.

So, please learn about his culture and see if it's something you can live with. Culture is a way of life of a group of people. You can't do without certain aspects but you can always work your way around them.

To me...the kids are the ones that enjoy inter tribal marriages the most. That blend and culture mix does them a lot of good. Like mixture of two different entities embedded in one.
I'm happy to learn from you bro. Thanks so much for your time.
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by TashaGirl: 11:52am On Jan 01, 2017
Acidosis:

there is nothing to learn about dating. Anybody can date anything.
you think so?
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by TashaGirl: 11:55am On Jan 01, 2017
honeychild:
@OP, believe me it's really challenging getting married to someone from another tribe. The main thing you have to do is look at your in laws. Are they tribalistic? How do they sound when they talk about people from other tribes? Especially your MIL. In most families, the moral character of the family is set by the mother. If she is horrible, you can almost be certain that your sisters in law will be worse lol.

Then you need to objectively look at your partner. If he is the type that can stand up to his folks when the shit hits the fan. Or is he the type that likes to sweep stuff under the carpet and never confronts issues?

Basically it boils down to individual families. I have had horrible experiences with my inlaws from another tribe. But i have friends who are in inter tribal marriages and didnt go through the same.

On your own part, You also have to be willing to adapt to a totally different culture. If you are yoruba planning to marry an igbo person, just forget about all that formal respect we have. Then be ready to have a lot of relatives flocking in and out of your home and acting like they own the place. Basically don't approach it with the mindset that there's a right way to do things and a wrong way (culture wise). Just accept that things can be done differently to what you are used to and still be alright.

Basically flexibility on your part is very important
At the bolded, I have lots of work to do then. Thanks for this
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by mysticgal(f): 12:41pm On Jan 01, 2017
sad shocked
honeychild:

Basically flexibility on your part is very important.

like that shii is quite scary. shocked
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by highbee02: 12:59pm On Jan 01, 2017
ADVICE NEEDED
I Received a slap Courtesy of Sister in Law
I married a lady from Ibadan (29yrs old) and after few months, I noticed some childish attitudes such as bathing inside the bedroom, pluging/connecting the electric pressing iron through AVR, she doesn't know how to use d rice cooker. She refused to change her ways.
To cut d long story short, we had a misunderstanding and she eventually packed out. I was invited, and I narrated everything to her mother and sisters. I was discombulated and devastated when they unanimouslly told me that my excuses were noADVICE NEEDED
I married a lady from Ibadan (29yrs old) and after few months, I noticed some childish attitudes such as bathing inside the bedroom, pluging/connecting the electric pressing iron through AVR, she doesn't know how to use d rice cooker. She refused to change her ways.
To cut d long story short, we had a misunderstanding and she eventually packed out. I was invited, and I narrated everything to her mother and sisters. I was discombulated and devastated when they unanimouslly told me that my excuses were no
ADVICE NEEDED
To cut d long story short, we had a misunderstanding and she eventually packed out. I was invited, and I narrated everything to her mother and sisters. I was discombulated and devastated when they unanimouslly told me that my excuses were not genuine, so I left immediately. The following day I picked my phone and thanked everybody but one of her sisters (Latifat) said to me on phone that " when u are coming back make sure u come with a wise and knowledgeable person in your family." I called her repeatedly but she did'nt answer my call, so I sent a text message telling her "we are all wise and knowledgeable in our family", she sent several text messages which I don't want to state here.
I went to Ajeigbe street via challenge, Ibadan, with my dad, it was raining and we were dretched. The woman capitalised on my text message and she did not disclosed her own messages and unfortunately for me I was not having any of her messages because I had formatted my phone, so I had no evidence to support my claim. She stood up and slap me and I was left with no option than to vacate d room. I reported to d family head at Barika, UI second gate, and to my supprise, all d family members are in support she did and I was even asked to send an apology which I did.
up till now my wife and my son are still in Ibadan, last time I checked on son (Dec), he has been enrolled in one of d private schools at Bodija, where they are teaching him CRS. I'm from Ilorin, we value arabic education-it's our custom.
ADVICE NEEDED
To cut d long story short, we had a misunderstanding and she eventually packed out. I was invited, and I narrated everything to her mother and sisters. I was discombulated and devastated when they unanimouslly told me that my excuses were no[size=8pt]ADVICE NEEDED
To cut d long story short, we had a misunderstanding and she eventually packed out. I was invited, and I narrated everything to her mother and sisters. I was discombulated and devastated when they unanimouslly told me that my excuses were no
ADVICE NEEDED
To cut d long story short, we had a misunderstanding and she eventually packed out. I was invited, and I narrated everything to her mother and sisters. I was discombulated and devastated when they unanimouslly told me that my excuses were not genuine, so I left immediately. The following day I picked my phone and thanked everybody but one of her sisters (Latifat) said to me on phone that " when u are coming back make sure u come with a wise and knowledgeable person in your family." I called her repeatedly but she did'nt answer my call, so I sent a text message telling her "we are all wise and knowledgeable in our family", she sent several text messages which I don't want to state here.
I went to Ajeigbe street via challenge, Ibadan, with my dad, it was raining and we were dretched. The woman capitalised on my text message and she did not disclosed her own messages and unfortunately for me I was not having any of her messages because I had formatted my phone, so I had no evidence to support my claim. She stood up and slap me and I was left with no option than to vacate d room. I reported to d family head at Barika, UI second gate, and to my supprise, all d family members are in support she did and I was even asked to send an apology which I did.
up till now my wife and my son are still in Ibadan, last time I checked on son (Dec), he has been enrolled in one of d private schools at Bodija, where they are teaching him CRS. I'm from Ilorin, we value arabic education-it's our custom.
[/size]ADVICE NEEDED
To cut d long story short, we had a misunderstanding and she eventually packed out. I was invited, and I narrated everything to her mother and sisters. I was discombulated and devastated when they unanimouslly told me that my excuses were noADVICE NEEDED
ADVICE NEEDED
pls, married men and women should advise me on what to do
@OP, pls move to d front page
Re: Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage by Acidosis(m): 1:54pm On Jan 01, 2017
mysticgal:
sad shocked
like that shii is quite scary. shocked
What shii?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Her Husband Has Changed Completely (front Page Pls / Igbo People Is This True?! / ....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.