Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,408 members, 7,843,206 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

2017: May Your Year Be Tough - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2017: May Your Year Be Tough (706 Views)

Meet Justice Adebukola Banjoko, Tough Female Judge That Jailed Nyame & Dariye / Buhari Talks Tough; Attacks Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, National Assembly / Tough Looking Bouncers At Zahra Buhari's Wedding (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2017: May Your Year Be Tough by FestusOgun: 11:47am On Jan 01, 2017
2017: May Your Year be Tough

By Festus Ogun

At time like this, it is not very uncommon to see those who claim to be men of God making prophecies about national affairs. And experience has shown that much of those prophecies are pure guess-work or calculative predictions. However, I will not join the bandwagon of these ‘businessmen’ disguising as God’s men, to give prophesies about this New Year. Yet, as a person that has been following national occurrences very closely, I will prefer to rather make my own predictions.

2017 will be a very tough year for Nigerians. Things as we’ve seen last year will get much harder and tougher. This is a year where many will be killed by hunger. This is a year where political rebellions will take over the show. This is a year where many will run away from this country since many may find it very hard to live in it. This is a year where getting a daily bread will be synonymous to obtaining a PHD.

This is the year where this acclaimed economic recession will bite very harder. We have not experience ‘anything’ in 2016 – that is just a tip of the iceberg. In 2017 Nigeria, death rate will increase. Many will die of minor infections and the government will appear very helpless. This 2017 is the year where many will be forced to drop out of school. This is the year that the rate of divorce we be very high. A year that will inflate the numbers of criminal activities.

Yes! On that criminal activities, many Nigerians will unavoidably turn criminals. Burglary, armed robbery, kidnapping, hire-killing, mob lynching and other criminal activities will overtake the show. See, the rate at which ethnical and religious agitations will take-over everywhere will be suprising. Nigeria will be faced with serious treath of secession – not only from the Igbos this time. Plethora cases of suicidal death will be recorded. Getting a token of #1000 naira will be very hard for an average Nigerian. And, as a general truth, the gap between naira and dollar will be affectuously wide.

And all these does not mean that the normal or usual Nigerian issues – unemployment, non-payment of workers, et al – will not persist. Infact, this year, everything will get worse.

In essence, this year 2017 is going to be both very dense and fibrous. All of us, as a people, must tighten our belts to surmount this serious challenge. There is no way one can escape the lashes of the toughness – though it can be minimized – so, we must just ensure that we double our hustle.

Additionally, we must not jubilate much as we begin this New Year. Well, maybe we can only jubilate for God’s protection over us. However, don’t waste your resources over the arrival of the New Year. New Year will come-and-go but you will remain to face the consequences of a very reckless government. This New Year should be a time all of us get into the corner of our room and make sober reflections.

Let me quickly state here that: the reason for all these predictions is not farfetched since I’m not one of those ‘businessmen’ that claimed to see national revelations. The God I am serving hasn’t revealed anything to me yet. But, I have only drawn my conclusion from my keen observation of the way and manner this government performed in 2016.

It is a truism that the yesterday of a man will in a way or the other affects his tomorrow – same thing with Nigeria. As such, I have discovered that with the way this government has (mis)handled 2016, the country might never get out of this ‘peculiar mess’ it has found herself this New Year - it is no curse. Why? It is simply because this government hasn’t not taken any fruitful, convincing or responsible step which will signal an end to this harsh situation. And since ‘nothing’ has been done, the suffering and rigmarole will continue. Simple!

However, I have been taught in my classes that presumptions can be rebutted. The same way, all what I have predicted here can be rebutted if and only if this government changes its direction and pursue other fine ways to achieve this end. This government is in dare need of leafs to detonate the effect of its intellectual arrogance; and that is what is killing us. Why can’t the government get other better economic advisers?

We cannot just continue to deceive ourselves. The monkey in Idanre had encountered its death for a very long time. As many will call me unprintable names, I wish to inform them in advance that I may not be too concerned about their comments. The truth is very bitter and many of us are too shy to face the bitter truth. Call me a pessimist, no problem. But, the fact remains that: even when the truth spoken is in the negative, we must not shy away from it. Not shying away from it, thus, should not be mistaken for been a pessimist.

We cannot continue to give ourselves baseless hopes like the other day when we hoped that these men will bring about change. Tell me today, where is the change?

Lastly, the New Year is here and we are obliged to live by it. We are left with no choice. But, the jubilation must not be too much since we are entering into a year of perpetual hardship and storm.

I wish you a very rough and tough year ahead.

---------
Contact Festus Ogun vai festusoguntv@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: 2017: May Your Year Be Tough by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jan 01, 2017
how did you get time to type this nonsense from your crude mind
Re: 2017: May Your Year Be Tough by laudate: 11:38pm On Jan 02, 2017
MAY YOUR ROAD BE ROUGH | By Tai Solarin, Jan. 1, 1964 |

I am not cursing you; I am wishing you what I wish myself every year. I therefore repeat, may you have a hard time this year, may there be plenty of troubles for you this year! wink If you are not so sure what you should say back, why not just say, ‘Same to you’? I ask for no more. wink

Our successes are conditioned by the amount of risk we are ready to take. Earlier on today I visited a local farmer about three miles from where I live. He could not have been more than fifty-five, but he said he was already too old to farm vigorously. He still suffered, he said, from the physical energy he displayed as a farmer in his younger days. Around his hut were two pepper bushes. There were kokoyams growing round him. There were snail shells which had given him meat. There must have been more around the banana trees I saw. He hardly ever went to town to buy things. He was self-sufficient. undecided

The car or the bus, the television or the telephone, the newspaper, Vietnam or Red China were nothing to him. He had no ambitions whatsoever, he told me. I am not sure if you are already envious of him, but were we all to revert to such a life, we would be practically driven back to cave dwelling.

On the other hand, try to put yourself into the position of the Russian or the Americna astronaut. Any moment now the count, 3, 2, 1, is going to go, and you are going to be shot into the atmosphere and soon you will be whirling round our earth at the speed of six miles per second. If you get so fired into the atmosphere and you forget what to do to ensure return to earth, one of the things that might happen to you is that you could become forever satellite, going round the earth until you die of starvation and even then your body would continue the gyration! sad

When, therefore, you are being dressed up and padded to be shot into the sky, you know only too well that you are going on the roughest road man had ever trodden. The Americans and Russians who have gone were armed with the great belief that they would come back. But I cannot believe that they did not have some slight foreboding on the contingency of their non-return. It is their courage for going in spite of these apprehensions that makes the world hail them so loudly today.

The big fish is never caught in shallow waters. You have to go into the open sea for it. The biggest businessmen make decisions with lighting speed and carry them out with equal celerity. They do not dare delay or dally. Time would pass them by if they did. The biggest successes are preceded by the greatest of heart-burnings. You should read the stories of the bomber pilots of World War II. The Russian pilot, the German pilot, the American or the British pilot suffered exactly the same physical and mental tension the night before a raid on enemy territory. There were no alternative routes for those who most genuinely believed in victory for their side. shocked

You cannot make omelettes without breaking eggs, throughout the world, there is no paean without pain. Jawaharlal Nehru has put it so well. I am paraphrasing him. He wants to meet his troubles in a frontal attack. He wants to see himself tossed into the aperture between the two horns of the bull. Being there, he determines he is going to win and, therefore, such a fight requires all his faculties. undecided

When my sisters and I were young and we slept on our small mats round our mother, she always woke up at 6a.m. for morning prayers. She always said prayers on our behalf but always ended with something like this: ‘May we not enter into any dangers or get into any difficulties this day.’ It took me almost thirty years to dislodge the canker-worm in our mother’s sentiments. I found, by hard experience, that all that is noble and laudable was to be achieved only through difficulties and trials and tears and dangers. There are no other roads. undecided

If I was born into a royal family and should one day become a constitutional king, I am inclined to think I should go crazy. How could I, from day to day, go on smiling and nodding approval at somebody else’s successes for an entire lifetime? When Edward the Eighth (now Duke of Windsor) was a young, sprightly Prince of Wales, he went to Canada and shook so many hands that his right arm nearly got pulled out of its socket. It went into a sling and he shook hands thenceforth with his left hand. cheesy It would appear he was trying his utmost to make a serious job out of downright sinecurism.

Life, if it is going to be abundant, must have plenty of hills and vales. It must have plenty of sunshine and rough weather. It must be rich in obfuscation and perspicacity. It must be packed with days of danger and of apprehension. cry

When I walk into the dry but certainly cool morning air of every January 1st, I wish myself plenty of tears and of laughter, plenty of happiness and unhappiness, plenty of failures and successes. Plenty of abuse and praise. It is impossible to win ultimately without a rich measure of intermixture in such a menu. Life would be worthless without the lot. We do not achieve much in this country because we are all so scared of taking risks. We all want the smooth and well-paved roads. While the reason the Americans and others succeeded so well is that they took such great risks. cheesy

If, therefore, you are out in this New Year, to win any target you have set for yourself, please accept my prayers and your elixir. May your road be rough! cool
http://www.36ng.com.ng/2012/10/21/may-your-road-be-rough-by-tai-solarin-january-1st-1964/
Re: 2017: May Your Year Be Tough by Caseless: 12:57am On Jan 03, 2017
Make sure you read before you comment.

@laudate , thanks for sharing that Tai solarin piece.

1 Like

Re: 2017: May Your Year Be Tough by patchsk(f): 3:27am On Jan 03, 2017
Great masterpiece.

The broken/rotten eardrum idiott from Daura cannot even fathom the import of this piece due to his stark illiteracy.
Re: 2017: May Your Year Be Tough by laudate: 4:32pm On Jan 04, 2017
Caseless:
Make sure you read before you comment.

@laudate , thanks for sharing that Tai solarin piece.

You are most welcome. cheesy I first came across it, almost 10 years ago, but it resonated with me on a rather deep level.

I stumbled across this one too, and would like to share it.

Life - I am the new year.

I am an unspoiled page in your book of time.

I am your next chance at the art of living.

I am your opportunity to practice what you have learned about life during the last twelve months.

All that you sought and didn't find is hidden in me,
waiting for you to search it out with more determination.

All the good that you tried for and didn't achieve,
is mine to grant when you have fewer conflicting desires.

All that you dreamed but didn't dare to do,
all that you hoped but did not will,
all the faith that you claimed but did not have --
these slumber lightly, waiting to be awakened by the touch of a strong purpose.

I am your opportunity to renew your allegiance to Him who said, "behold, I make all things new."

I am the new year.

-- Author Unknown
http://www.celebrate-american-holidays.com/New-Years-Poems.html
Re: 2017: May Your Year Be Tough by Caseless: 10:16am On Jan 06, 2017
laudate:

You are most welcome. cheesy I first came across it, almost 10 years ago, but it resonated with me on a rather deep level.

I stumbled across this one too, and would like to share it.

thank you , once more.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Osun Judge: Drag National Judicial Council To Court For CTC, CJN Tells CSCEOS / 5th February Nationwide Protest / IYC To Shell: Relocate HQ To Lagos, Vacate Oilfields In N-delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.