Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,835 members, 7,813,788 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:27 PM

From BUDDING To MEGA F.M.C.G DISTRIBUTORSHIP Status (Upcountry Only) - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / From BUDDING To MEGA F.M.C.G DISTRIBUTORSHIP Status (Upcountry Only) (14886 Views)

Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) / Very Rewarding F.M.C.G Distributorship Opportuniies (Lagos Only) / Distributors Wanted Nationwide For Go-clean F.M.C.G Brand Products (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: From BUDDING To MEGA F.M.C.G DISTRIBUTORSHIP Status (Upcountry Only) by Karin001(f): 1:28pm On Mar 16, 2017
The concept of distributorship at least in the context of this group is apparently not very clear to us at the moment. Some of us have exhibited some inexperience in the discharge of this responsibility. You must understand the dynamics of distribution before you embark on this effort.

Too many variables come into play when embarking on a project like this. The first and most important one is providing an answer to that apparently very easy question.

Who constitutes my target market?
The natural and spontaneous response to that question is the customer; that is the person who buys directly from us. But are they really the target. Quite frankly, the answer is no.
Re: From BUDDING To MEGA F.M.C.G DISTRIBUTORSHIP Status (Upcountry Only) by ibizgirl(f): 5:32pm On Mar 16, 2017
I just resent from ois***y@gmail.com

Karin001:

You may wish to resend.

I have attended to all mails in my inbox and I don't remember yours being among them unless I got it wrong.
Re: From BUDDING To MEGA F.M.C.G DISTRIBUTORSHIP Status (Upcountry Only) by newness12: 1:50am On Mar 17, 2017
Karin001:
So I arrived H.E Shop and there she was as cold as codfish.

After introducing myself to her and explaining my mission she just looks at me as if I am something the cat just dragged in.

She indicates again coldly that I sit on a chair just by her. And I do just that.
She takes her time dealing with customers first and then starts counting her money and wrapping them in elastic bands. This she does quite noisily and without any recourse to me. I cough, I sneeze and make other sounds just to remind her of my presence, for where. The lady will not budge. Finally she asks me about the chin-chin and after doing a very detailed verbal description of the product and marketing strategy, she then asks me what my role in the company is? I then tell her that I am a Distributor based in Port Harcourt but that I could supply her if we agreed. Her questions and her facial expression when I provide answers was already enough indication for me that I was up an alley. Nothing was going to come out from here. One of the most humiliating episodes I have ever had since selling this product. Questions like; what makes me consider myself a distributor, do I know what it means to be a distributor, Distributors can only be labelled as such if they are recognized by so, so and so company adding for effect that it is the frustration of the berserk economy that is bringing young people into trading and who have the audacity to describe themselves as distributors.

At this point I say a mental prayer for patience. I needed to get out fast.

Anyway, she goes on and on and on and finally she asks me how much she can give me as transportation back to Port Harcourt since she wasn't willing to buy and at any rate she would only buy from an established company and then through their staff and not some supposed distributor who was probably still job seeking on the side. I had had enough and was going to give it back to her. But then I events changed in my favour surprisingly. Just as about to spew the venom that had accumulated another trader apparently from a neighbouring shop walked into her shop and in one glance noticed the products that I had displayed on the desk for her. He practically screamed in surprise asking if she had secured the distributorship for the product already and that he had been trying to get it for over six months but they kept referring him to a certain lady in Port Harcourt or another gentleman in Aba.

The discomfort radiating from Her Excellency was palpable. And I did not disappoint. I just gathered while she just looked at me in shock. Then she blurted out 'how much is the distributorship?'' to which I responded 3 Million Naira and she asked if I could recommend her and I told her that is what brought me from Port Harcourt in the first place but I wasnt going to recommend her again after what transpired between us.
Greed and selfishness walk hand in hand. I made to leave and she blocked me begging me initially and then threatening me with all sorts including the fact that I couldnt sell in her market and after all she could buy direct from the company. I just asked her to suit herself and walked out heading to the Okada ramp by the market entrance. She has called me over fifty times since then and has called my national Sales manager repeatedly and that one is on my side and has told her that only I can install her as a Distributor in that market.

Karin, I respect your endurance & tolerance gauge but there's something I want to add. After such a profound show of higher integrity & culture you threw everything away to reduce yourself to her level. I expected you to have sealed that deal after educating her not to judge the quality of the container but the content. The greater approach would have been to maintain your higher character & integrity. You may look at it differently but note this.
Martin Luther King Jr.is the only American, black or white that has a holiday to himself. Of course I know you know he led the fight for the equality of blacks but that's not what stands him out. He refused to use the weapon the enemy used to fight against him to fight his enemy. While the whites used violence he used nonviolence because he said if you use the same weapon with the enemy then you're not better than him. So while whites were killing blacks he refused blacks to retaliate. He lost his life in the process but he taught America a big lesson. That's why he has that honour.

1 Like

Re: From BUDDING To MEGA F.M.C.G DISTRIBUTORSHIP Status (Upcountry Only) by Karin001(f): 7:43am On Mar 20, 2017
newness12:

Karin, I respect your endurance & tolerance gauge but there's something I want to add. After such a profound show of higher integrity & culture you threw everything away to reduce yourself to her level. I expected you to have sealed that deal after educating her not to judge the quality of the container but the content. The greater approach would have been to maintain your higher character & integrity. You may look at it differently but note this.
Martin Luther King Jr.is the only American, black or white that has a holiday to himself. Of course I know you know he led the fight for the equality of blacks but that's not what stands him out. He refused to use the weapon the enemy used to fight against him to fight his enemy. While the whites used violence he used nonviolence because he said if you use the same weapon with the enemy then you're not better than him. So while whites were killing blacks he refused blacks to retaliate. He lost his life in the process but he taught America a big lesson. That's why he has that honour.

Newness, I thank you for your advice. When I got home and recounted my experience to my husband, he held the same position with you and insisted that I should go back and to the proper thing. So with my tail in between my legs I crawled back(seething inside though) and helped facilitate her purchase. the most wonderful lesson here is the fact that on getting to know her better I discovered that she was not such a golliwog after all. Its just the traders thing and I also made a fundamental mistake which my husband had identified without even being there. The mistake was that I arrived there speaking my regular Queens quality English and I must have smacked of a certain snootiness albeit unknowingly. My second visit was definitely better. By the time we got to the third visit, we could even pass for friends. We had become reasonably close that I introduced her and guided her in setting up and using whatsapp.

Once again, thank you Newness.

3 Likes

Re: From BUDDING To MEGA F.M.C.G DISTRIBUTORSHIP Status (Upcountry Only) by newness12: 5:05pm On Mar 22, 2017
I'm glad it ended that way. You're blessed to have such a husband. And you must learn to reduce your 'alabeke' syndrome!!!

1 Like

Re: From BUDDING To MEGA F.M.C.G DISTRIBUTORSHIP Status (Upcountry Only) by DoyenExchange: 6:46pm On Mar 22, 2017
Go to www.doyenexchange.com/invest_opps.php to see businesses you can start in Nigeria and their cost estimates.
Re: From BUDDING To MEGA F.M.C.G DISTRIBUTORSHIP Status (Upcountry Only) by DoyenExchange: 6:46pm On Mar 22, 2017
DoyenExchange:
Go to www.doyenexchange.com/invest_opps.php to see businesses you can start in Nigeria and their cost estimates.
Re: From BUDDING To MEGA F.M.C.G DISTRIBUTORSHIP Status (Upcountry Only) by God4memi: 8:37pm On Mar 22, 2017
Good idea Karin and I advise we take it serious and to the next level, to the extent that we will have to call for stakeholders meetings
I am Grace representing Portharcourt, Rumuodara, rukpoku,Rumuokoro, rumuosi

Good work Karin
Re: From BUDDING To MEGA F.M.C.G DISTRIBUTORSHIP Status (Upcountry Only) by God4memi: 8:54pm On Mar 22, 2017
Good work Karin, Portharcourt rumuodara, rumuokoro , Rukpokwu, Rumuodara, rumuosi
Good work Karin.
Grace
Re: From BUDDING To MEGA F.M.C.G DISTRIBUTORSHIP Status (Upcountry Only) by Karin001(f): 4:24pm On Apr 09, 2017
This journey started at the beginning of the year. So far we have expended about 90 days pushing it as much as possible. I am really happy and grateful for all the testimonies that have come my way via emails and whatsapp messages.

We started out by discussing the nature of distributorships and then looked at many variables and then reviewed what could make us start small and yet retain some measure of control over areas we had begun selling in without interlopers displacing us now or in the near future.

A whatsapp group was created and that led to a more detailed analysis of distribution as a concept. Several prolific and experienced salespersons came on board and made it exceedingly worthwhile. It has been such a humbling experience and very fulfilling too but definitely not without its fair share of disappointments and surprises.

So far we have quite a few people in the group who have mesmerized us with their performance even as newbies, we have those who are still struggling to overcome the initial hurdles that will come with venturing into a totally new terrain, we have another set of participants who have started really small and have experimented with two different brands of the product and are now analyzing the path to tread. Some of us in all honesty are yet to start for some reason or the other but we encourage you to do something by way of ACTION.

Its a great time to be alive and we have to take the advantage presented by the imperfections in our environment and circumstances and convert them into whta it really is; OPPORTUNITIES.
Re: From BUDDING To MEGA F.M.C.G DISTRIBUTORSHIP Status (Upcountry Only) by Amazingg: 8:06am On May 03, 2017
Karin001:
This journey started at the beginning of the year. So far we have expended about 90 days pushing it as much as possible. I am really happy and grateful for all the testimonies that have come my way via emails and whatsapp messages.

We started out by discussing the nature of distributorships and then looked at many variables and then reviewed what could make us start small and yet retain some measure of control over areas we had begun selling in without interlopers displacing us now or in the near future.

A whatsapp group was created and that led to a more detailed analysis of distribution as a concept. Several prolific and experienced salespersons came on board and made it exceedingly worthwhile. It has been such a humbling experience and very fulfilling too but definitely not without its fair share of disappointments and surprises.

So far we have quite a few people in the group who have mesmerized us with their performance even as newbies, we have those who are still struggling to overcome the initial hurdles that will come with venturing into a totally new terrain, we have another set of participants who have started really small and have experimented with two different brands of the product and are now analyzing the path to tread. Some of us in all honesty are yet to start for some reason or the other but we encourage you to do something by way of ACTION.

Its a great time to be alive and we have to take the advantage presented by the imperfections in our environment and circumstances and convert them into whta it really is; OPPORTUNITIES.
Can I still join?
Re: From BUDDING To MEGA F.M.C.G DISTRIBUTORSHIP Status (Upcountry Only) by Karin001(f): 10:03am On Oct 03, 2017
Another great thread by the Maestro on FMCG. Very impressive madam. I wish more of the unemployed youths could take a cue from here and turn around their lives for the better.

Thanks Madam Karine.
Re: From BUDDING To MEGA F.M.C.G DISTRIBUTORSHIP Status (Upcountry Only) by Onyeara: 2:02pm On Nov 11, 2018
@karinio
Kindly add me to the group
Re: From BUDDING To MEGA F.M.C.G DISTRIBUTORSHIP Status (Upcountry Only) by glowzy: 8:33am On Dec 28, 2018
Good job you are doing here madam Karin001, its been more than a year this thread was updated last, can I still join
Karin001:
Another great thread by the Maestro on FMCG. Very impressive madam. I wish more of the unemployed youths could take a cue from here and turn around their lives for the better.

Thanks Madam Karine.
Re: From BUDDING To MEGA F.M.C.G DISTRIBUTORSHIP Status (Upcountry Only) by 2cicily: 1:37am On Feb 17, 2019
Please I also wish to join
08037893609 portharcourt
justobymo@yahoo.com

Please can I also get the conversation history from the group
Re: From BUDDING To MEGA F.M.C.G DISTRIBUTORSHIP Status (Upcountry Only) by Kaymercury(m): 1:41pm On Jul 14, 2019
Seems I arrived so late

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

$500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri / Payment Of Royalty To Comandclem Patentees / 100 Ways To Make Cash Online FREE INFO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.