Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,905 members, 7,817,681 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 (11623 Views)

How To Increase Reach And Engagement On Your Linkedin Posts. / These 7 Mistakes On Your Linkedin Profile Are Killing Your Job Search / My Profile In Humanitarian Aids/assistance To Reduce Hunger/poverty In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by ayogabriel(m): 8:49am On Jan 02, 2017
Social media is ruling the world. In the professional aspect, you either have a LinkedIn profile or you don’t exist…

The vision of Jeff Weiner, the CEO of LinkedIn, is “We aspire to build the world’s first economic graph; in other words, a digital mapping of the global economy, including a profile for every one of the 3 billion members of the global workforce, including all of their skills and expertise…..”

LinkedIn has also caused a huge shift in the recruitment process. More and more companies and recruiters are using the solutions to search and recruit their talent. As a LinkedIn member yourself, you can build relationships that will enhance your career and your business. The message is clear: you simply cannot afford not to be on LinkedIn. You will be out of the game.

Tip #1: Have a great professional photo.

A great photo on LinkedIn is definitely a must-have and not a nice-to-have. It is proven that people are rarely clicking on profiles without photos. If you are on a thin budget and cannot afford a professional photo shoot, keep in mind that LinkedIn, unlike Facebook, is meant for professional purpose predominantly. Therefore, your picture should also reflect this purpose.

Here’s a couple of things you think about when it comes to your photo:

1. Your photo should be in color.

2. Your profile should be a headshot only.

3. Professional photo means no family or holiday pictures.

4. Your dress code should be in sync with the type of job you are after.

Tip #2: Master the right keywords.

The keywords on LinkedIn are the same things as search words on Google. These are the words that help others (recruiters, business partners, hiring managers, etc.) find YOU on LinkedIn.

So if a recruiter is looking for an Account Manager with experience in the oil and gas industry, that is what he or she is going to type in and search on LinkedIn. If your profile has those keywords, it will rank your profile (high) on the LinkedIn search result. The profiles that get on top of the list are the ones which have the highest density of keywords. Make sure that your LinkedIn profile has the right keywords that match your future job. Those keywords have to be sprinkled all over your profile including your headline, summary and experience sections.

Tip #3: Spend extra time on your headline.

The headline is your first message to the world about who you are and what you do. People often put their current job only. Don’t make this mistake! The headline is much broader than your current or last job only. You have 120 characters you can use in your headline. Use it!

Tip #4: Your summary is your pitch.

The summary section is where you should briefly introduce yourself to the person who is visiting your profile. It is also a place to make the first contact, grab the reader’s attention and draw the reder in to read further.

Show what you stand for, your bigger vision and your core qualities. Make it personal and don’t forget your keywords.

Tip #5: Add a call to action to your summary.

At the end of your summary, always include a call to action. In other words, invite others (for example, recruiters or hiring managers) to connect with you. Explain what you are looking for.

Tip #6: Always include your contact details.

When completing your profile, do not forget to include your contact details. This tells people how they can contact you. A small thing, but oh so important…

Tip #7: Add visual media to your profile.

To spice up your LinkedIn profile, consider including photos, videos, and PowerPoint presentations. This will make your profile more appealing and interesting to read.

Tip #8: Connect, connect and (one more time) connect.

The power of LinkedIn lies in the fact that in a few steps you can basically get connected to almost anyone in the world (who is obviously on LinkedIn). Your first-grade connections give you direct access to your 2nd-grade connections and your 2nd-grade connections to the 3rd-grade connections. The more connections you have, the more often and the higher in ranking you will appear in the search results.

This is the time to go social and master your LinkedIn skills regardless if you are looking for local job opportunities or considering a business partnership with somebody from the other side of the world. The beauty of global social networks is that, well that they are global.

30 Likes 10 Shares

Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by senboy204(m): 4:39pm On Jan 02, 2017
Thanks bro, this will really go a long way to help me redesign my LinkedIn page. #Godbless

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by Chinks(m): 4:46pm On Jan 03, 2017
Thank you very much @op.... I really need to edit my profile!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by Nobody: 7:01am On Jan 04, 2017
grin
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by Daslim180(m): 7:02am On Jan 04, 2017
ok
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by CaptainBomb(m): 7:03am On Jan 04, 2017
Na me first wake up
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by Nobody: 7:04am On Jan 04, 2017
LinkedIn, hmmm...don't know him from Adam
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by mohince(m): 7:06am On Jan 04, 2017
Did you mean lindaikeji?
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by UNIZIK1stSon(m): 7:14am On Jan 04, 2017
What is LinkedIN shocked
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by KillerBeauty(f): 7:16am On Jan 04, 2017
Linkedin is a great way to meet most hiring managers anywhere in the world. The calibre if people there is just top notch

3 Likes

Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by Alasi20(m): 7:17am On Jan 04, 2017
grin

1 Like

Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by psalmsjob: 7:18am On Jan 04, 2017
I think you killed it for most youth by suggesting they can only post headshot pictures as profile photo. They like to expose their bodies and swimming pool photos.

LinkedIn is the best for job seekers and networking for professional. Just love it!
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by nonjebose(m): 7:18am On Jan 04, 2017
Thanks. Just checked mine this morning, and I got a number of links. I need to follow these tips for something more desirable than what I am getting
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by Nobody: 7:24am On Jan 04, 2017
Tip #9.. Upload your publications both international and local.
Tip #10.. Join LinkedIn.com groups and forums
Tip #11..write articles.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by Benjom(m): 7:31am On Jan 04, 2017
The power of Linkedin is invaluable. I just don't know why most job applicants ignore it.
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by Gee001: 7:33am On Jan 04, 2017
I have to edit my profile then. Thanks for the tips.
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by Princelegacylemoha(m): 7:41am On Jan 04, 2017
Nice one .
LinkedIn is A great idea for business.
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by Obinnau(m): 7:43am On Jan 04, 2017
I so much love the freedom LinkedIn gives you. I was able to gain access to a big-time professor in my school and a vice chancellor in another school, something face to face contact would never have given me. As a student never underestimate the power of LinkedIn to your academic race.
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by BABSIN(m): 7:47am On Jan 04, 2017
mohince:
Did you mean lindaikeji?

hmmm LindaIkeji ko... Linda iketa niii

I am an advocate of LinkedIn with over 6K Followers and I have also mandated my Staffs to have a LinkedIn Page which for now is the World renowned Professional Page. It is like having your Cv Online for intending recruiters. How do you have tens of social media pages without a single Professional Page and still complain of no Job.

I get an average of 1 job request in 2 months in LinkedIn from Head Hunters. The emerging trend is that Recruiter no longer send out Job Vacancy but outsourced them to Head Hunters (Usually Individual HR expert in Recruitment). The head Hunter goes on LinkedIn, filters the candidates base on their Job Requirements and only wanted Individual are contacted. This save company the trouble of going through thousand CV's and Interview session.

I have also discovered of recently that Covenant University is Very active on LinkedIn, In fact all the school community, right from the Vice Chancellor AAA. Atayero to the Registrar, Lecturers and thousand of Students are on LinkedIn. May be it is a requirement by the School. All in all it is very commendable to expose student to Professionalism at the early stage.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by ItzHoludex(m): 7:47am On Jan 04, 2017
okay
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by townplanner(m): 7:50am On Jan 04, 2017
All your estate solutions pm me.
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by daeujo: 8:01am On Jan 04, 2017
Thanks op. Good info.
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by Nobody: 8:27am On Jan 04, 2017
Thank you op, lemme goan redesign my profile.
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by Guru9ja(m): 9:28am On Jan 04, 2017
LinkedIn is so dope I can't stop liking it. Have met so many professors commending me for my great work in assisting student. I believe through LinkedIn am gonna succeed.
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by Bizibi(m): 9:47am On Jan 04, 2017
LinkedIn is good now but great in the past......
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by xyoung: 9:55am On Jan 04, 2017
KillerBeauty:
Linkedin is a great way to meet most hiring managers anywhere in the world. The calibre if people there is just top notch
Forget big grammer girl. Someone hardly get job offer from LinkedIn. That site is a scam
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by KillerBeauty(f): 12:48pm On Jan 04, 2017
xyoung:

Forget big grammer girl. Someone hardly get job offer from LinkedIn. That site is a scam

People get headhunted alot by hiring managers through LinkedIn. It all depends on what you have to offer
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by qiubee(m): 3:30pm On Jan 04, 2017
Good one
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by amicable212(f): 7:27pm On Jan 04, 2017
this will go a long way in helping me. Thanks op

1 Like

Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by Hemanwel(m): 9:03pm On Jan 04, 2017
ok
Re: How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 by southernbelle(f): 11:13am On Jan 05, 2017
Nice writeup.

(1) (Reply)

Tobi Boshoro Joins The Renmoney Team As Ceo, Set Make Great Impact / How Can These Interview Questions Be Answered / Rescue Me From My Job!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.