Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,134 members, 7,814,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

Secrets Of Smart Parenting & Child Discipline - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Secrets Of Smart Parenting & Child Discipline (854 Views)

Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting / Sex Secrets Of Nigerian Wife In The US Uploaded To Youtube / Does Flogging A Child = Discipline Or Abuse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Secrets Of Smart Parenting & Child Discipline by Healthyman(m): 4:29pm On Nov 20, 2009
Child discipline is used by parents to teach children the difference between right and wrong. Looking back at their own experience of growing up, parents want to make sure their children avoid the mistakes that they made. Parents use discipline to help their children not to make mistakes that they will look back on as adults and regret.
There are different methods that parents use to can implement child discipline. Whatever methods parents use for disciplining child behavior problems, need to be fair and reasonable. Most parents avoid spanking as a method of child discipline, because of the legal ramifications of child abuse. Spanking as a method of dealing with child behavior can be used, but really only as a last resort , and then with caution.
Here are some ways for implementing child discipline without the use of spanking.
When dealing with a child behavior problem, parents should sit down and talk with their children calmly. It is essential to clearly explain the consequences of bad child behavior should it occur. If parents start to feel angry or frustrated it is important that they take a moment to calm down before discussing the bad behavior with their children. By doing this, parents can avoid reacting to their children with their emotions and can implement consequences calmly.
A discipline technique such as temporarily removing favorite toys, restricting them from watching   television whenever they misbehave  or grounding a child would be a more effective consequence than spanking. An alternative child discipline technique is to give a 'time out'. This works well if children are angry or upset as it helps them to calm down as well.
Prevention of child behavior problems is part of any child discipline strategy. Parents often discover that by spending more quality time with their children, child behavior problems are less frequent. The reason for this is that bad child behavior is a way of getting parents attention. Parents who spend quality time with their children usually can prevent frequently resorting to child discipline methods as their children behave better.
However, don't confuse giving quality time to your child with spoiling them . Parents spoil their children by letting them do whatever they want to do whenever they want, and letting them have their own way to stop them getting upset. Spoiled children respond very negatively when parents do say "No"
These child discipline strategies should be adapted to suit your child's personality. You will soon discover which particular methods are more effective for your child. Prevention is better than reaction for unacceptable child behavior. However when bad behavior does occur, parents need to respond to that with consequences to teach the child that bad behaviour is unacceptable.
You can visit the infoebookresources link below for your family life transforming resources and other helpful tips on smart parenting and child discipline.

Re: Secrets Of Smart Parenting & Child Discipline by einitiative: 5:45pm On Dec 03, 2009
hey, is that the only ebook on parenting available on that site?

wouldnt mind if u can provide any other ebook(s) on smart parenting.

I have actually gone through that same smart parenting book before

and it exposed me and my wife to a lot on how to bring up a child, and its working for us real good

Infact, i will advise parents here or potential parents to try and get the ebbok, its invest worthy!
Re: Secrets Of Smart Parenting & Child Discipline by iice(f): 4:55pm On Dec 04, 2009
[s]I would have died if they'd taken away my TV rights[/s] grin

(1) (Reply)

Poor Couples Should Not Be Allowed To Have Children Until: / Nairalanders Need Ur Help To Win This For My Mom-in-law! / Man Gives Son Permission To Sleep With His Wife In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.