Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,666 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting (36385 Views)

I Have Lost Interest In Having Sex & It's Affecting My Wife / Re: Sexualization Of Children Is Not Cute. / See what Watching Parents Have Sex, Made This 5 Years Old Calabar Girl Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by MusingsOfALady: 3:36pm On Oct 06, 2015
As I waited in the departure lounge of a local airport, I noticed there were many children about but it was understandable since it was summer holiday. One other thing I noticed was the way most of the children were dressed. Most of them, especially the girls, were dressed in bum shorts, halter necks, cut off jeans, etc. The clothes in themselves weren't the issue per se; it was the overall look of the children that had me bothered. That was definitely not the first time I noticed it.

A few months before, I had taken my kids to a birthday party and found myself in what could easily have been a night club for kids. Scanty clothing such as tight or very short clothes, bum shorts, long weaves, etc, seemed to be the dress code. I noticed my daughter glancing around her, probably wondering, "What in God's world are these other children wearing?" Or something like that.

Not long after, the kids were called out to dance to the hit songs of the season - these songs in my opinion should be rated PG 13. 4-6 year olds trooped to the dance floor, miming the sexually explicit songs and gyrating their bodies in the most sensual manner. They could have given Beyounce a run for her money.

They ran their hands over their bodies, shook their booties hard while their parents cheered them on. The boys had their upper shirts unbuttoned and rapped along perfectly to gangsta raps while doing flawless break dance.

Those who danced like actual children where shooed off the dance floor while the lewd ones were cheered on. As I watched, my child stared out of this circle looking longingly at the others dancing. I knew it was time to leave. As we left, we went to a eatery where I bought them ice cream and gently explained to them the concept of decency and dancing with decorum.

Another time, at a game arcade for kids, I ran into a lady who had made-up her kids' faces like they were mannequins for Tara or Mac beauty products. Their skirts were so tight, that running up and down the slide was uncomfortable for them.

So the question is, why are we sexualizing our kids? Why does your 4, 6 or 9 year old girl have to look like a chick? Why does she have to be hot or sexy? Should your 8 year old son go around with a comb in his hair and his pants sagged almost to his ankles?

If your child wears bum shorts out of the house at age 3, why should she be expected to wear longer ones at 15? If she wears 2 rings and 12 bangles at 6, why won't she pierce a second ear hole at 17 and her bellybutton at 19?

Why won't your son pierce his own ear at 15? Are you setting your children up to be immodest and indecent? What trend are you starting them on? That all these are fashionable or trendy doesn't mean it's ok.

Some parents even dress their children like this to church. Church!

What are you teaching the child? What happened to children wearing dresses to church? Children can look very nice and decent, they can be well covered and still look good. In this age, when children are being abused, is it wise to make your child an object of anyone's sexual attention?

When I hear some children belt out sexually explicit lyrics, I ask myself how they became exposed to this songs! As a parent, you can't play the CD of such songs and not expect your children to pick them up; the same goes for watching Mtv Base, Channel O, etc with your children.

Studies have shown that children exposed to a high level of sexually explicit information tend to become sexually active early. Is that your goal as a parent?

Being a Parent involves sacrifice. You will need to avoid listening to such music where your children are.

Most of those lyrics demean women and teach your daughter that she's just a intimacy gadget and her body is for squeezing. It teaches the boys that money is everything and women are things to be used to satisfy their primal urges. These music introduces them to a degrading pop culture.

Our children have their lives ahead of them, let's set them on the right path by teaching them to dress decently and sing nice or age-appropriate songs. Let your children be children. Train up a child in the way that s/he should go and when s/he is old, s/he would not depart from it.

Do you agree that children are unnecessarily exposed to sexually explicit elements? Is it possible that some parents are victims themselves or is it that they don't know any better?

http://oluseyeigbafe..com.ng/2015/09/sexualization-of-children.html

284 Likes 41 Shares

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by nickishire: 3:50pm On Oct 06, 2015
I see nothing wrong with with kids wearing bum shorts but i dont approve of them watching such music channels cos of the high level of immorality in music videos.

6 Likes

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by jaymejate: 3:56pm On Oct 06, 2015
That bum short is what i hate most o. Why will a mother choose that kind of dressing for an innocent child? These causes R ape . These crazy jeans is now something else. I pray this modern parent will be able to control the dressing of their children. Charity begins at home.

96 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by bukatyne(f): 4:09pm On Oct 06, 2015
@OP:

100% on point.

Makeup/weaves/bum shorts/nail polish/dangling earrings etc etc are not for kids. I can't even wrap my head round the cr.az.y dance steps kids do in birthday parties and other gatherings undecided

Kids have this innocent beauty that should be preserved at ALL COSTS.

Kids here is the range 0 - 16 kiss

83 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by 5minsmadness: 4:12pm On Oct 06, 2015
Parents are dressing up their children in provocative clothes and allowing them to wear make-up and high heels because they lack traditional values, according to a leading headmistress.

Dr Helen Wright, president of the Girls' Schools Association, suggests there is something "intensely wrong" with society if some mothers and fathers can see no problem with allowing daughters to wear provocative clothing.
In a speech to the GSA's annual conference in Bristol tomorrow, she will raise concerns that many parents were failed by the education system at a young age – being brought up with no respect for their elders and little idea of how to raise a child.
Dr Wright, headmistress of St Mary's Calne, a private girls' boarding school in Wiltshire, also suggests many adults struggle to resist commercial pressures, meaning they overindulge their children.
The comments come just weeks after Sir Michael Wilshaw, the incoming head of Ofsted, warned that schools were being forced to act as “surrogate families” to some children because mothers and fathers lacked decent parenting skills.

Families in Middlesbrough, Camden and the High Peak in Derbyshire will be given tuition in areas such as communication and listening skills, managing conflict, discipline and setting boundaries for their children.
In her speech, Dr Wright will say: "I have a deep worry that some parents have been so deprived in their own lives of education and values, that they no longer know right from wrong and that they are as a result unwittingly 'indulging' children in some parallel universe where it is acceptable to let young children wear make-up and provocative clothing.

"I have no doubt that these are the parents who have been failed by the education system themselves.
"These are the parents without support, experience or networks. They have grown up without any respect for their elders or any idea of how to bring up a child.
"How can they bring up their own children correctly if they have been failed themselves? But how do we break the cycle? Education, of course - and the support of schools embedded in their communities."

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by Hannysmilez(f): 4:15pm On Oct 06, 2015
This issue don tire me. Gone are the days that parents dress daughters in tiaras and dresses. Kids no longer watch disney and the likes and it's the adults that encourage them. I recently discovered that my daughter was engrossed in a Bollywood soap because her teacher said she should watch it and 'gist' her.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by GHoJes: 6:11pm On Oct 06, 2015
Honestly i dont know what to make of the said parents. I think it is the wanting to be modern, allowing their kids make their own choice regardless of it been bad. Majority of the today parents are very laid back on discipline and morals, it is even worse that the spiritual leaders they look up to are not better. During this last summer break, i had a Sex talk with the pre-teens in a particular Church, all the kids where well dressed except for one girl with a killer bum short. I specifically cautioned her not to wear it outside her house again only to find out she is the pastor's daughter few days later.
Though not an excuse,some of raped children wore provocative dresses that triggered images in the mind of the paedophiles, sometimes, it is one wore days before the actual rape.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by lilmax(m): 7:10pm On Oct 06, 2015
Generation of moral degradation
These are the kinds of children that would become sluts and see nothing wrong with it, all in the name of "i can wear whatever i want its my body "

Mothers are not even helping matters by replacing children with career no time for discipline, all they think is work leaving their responsibility for a maid to handle these days

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by crackhaus: 7:33pm On Oct 06, 2015
Who or what do we blame for this now?

Someone help me out, I'm itching to type something... angry
Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by armyofone(m): 7:52pm On Oct 06, 2015
The parents....father and mother.

crackhaus:

7 Likes

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by MusingsOfALady: 9:44pm On Oct 06, 2015
jaymejate:
That bum short is what i hate most o. Why will a mother choose that kind of dressing for an innocent child? These causes R ape . These crazy jeans is now something else. I pray this modern parent will be able to control the dressing of their children. Charity begins at home.

Bum short is basically more of a beach wear or house wear.

2 Likes

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by MusingsOfALady: 9:45pm On Oct 06, 2015
bukatyne:
@OP:

100% on point.

Makeup/weaves/bum shorts/nail polish/dangling earrings etc etc are not for kids. I can't even wrap my head round the cr.az.y dance steps kids do in birthday parties and other gatherings undecided

Kids have this innocent beauty that should be preserved at ALL COSTS.

Kids here is the range 0 - 16 kiss

The dance steps are just too bad. I agree that those things should be for kids.

2 Likes

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by MusingsOfALady: 9:47pm On Oct 06, 2015
Hannysmilez:
This issue don tire me. Gone are the days that parents dress daughters in tiaras and dresses. Kids no longer watch disney and the likes and it's the adults that encourage them. I recently discovered that my daughter was engrossed in a Bollywood soap because her teacher said she should watch it and 'gist' her.

Wow! Can you imagine a teacher saying that? That's just crazy. Children should watch things that are age appropriate.

1 Like

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by SAMBARRY: 4:45am On Oct 07, 2015
I don't see any thing wrong in wearing bum shorts and a tshirt for my daughter. The only issues I agree with is braiding or fixing their hair like adults. That's a no no for me

make up is also a no no.

If my daughter is going out she either wears all this cinderella ball gowns to kiddies party or church and or wear jeans and top.

Halter neck spaghetti and so on depends on the location

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by Roland17(m): 5:10am On Oct 07, 2015
The level of moral decadence all in the name of trendy fashion is absolutely deplorable, we have virtually succeeded in convicting our conscience of wrongdoing for thinking otherwise thus reel out excuses why these insane habits are termed normal and trendy.

There is absolutely no way toddlers, pre teenagers should parade the streets on bum shorts or any sort of revealing cloth, the short itself is reserved for the house or a beach wear and mostly for adults who are mature enough to understand the responsibility that comes along with exposure of body parts not an outing wear that exposes the kids to the consciousness of their sexuality and how the modern society filled with wolfs view it and sadly they have absolutely no idea what they are wearing, the pleasure is enjoyed by the guardian or parent(s) who derives satisfaction from looking at her toddler dressed "to kill".

Being an adult is about accepting and understanding responsibilities and not shunting them, all I see in today's supposed adults are people filled with excuses to be irresponsible and irrational in their actions especially in the presence of minors.

A female colleague at work often listened to songs with provocative and lewd languages and severally rants along, cursing along with the rappers, she swears she never uses such in the presence of her kids who are between 2-6, o well recently there was a summer get together organized for employees, family and friends of employees were invited..well the second son who is 4 got mad at the 6 year old sister over some candy and yelled "Bit...ch give me my candy" not once but thrice just to convince everyone we did not hear correctly, everyone's attention swung at them and the embarrassment was immense, suffice to say the shame was unbearable for her, she grabbed all three and they left through the back.

We can not continue to deny our actions and inactions directly influence young minds who innocently are receptive to their immediate environment...we have a responsibility to every kid and minor amongst us to consciously protect their innocence until they are mature enough to understand responsibility.

Being an adult is all about responsibility and sacrifice..

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by MusingsOfALady: 5:43am On Oct 07, 2015
SAMBARRY:
I don't see any thing wrong in wearing bum shorts and a tshirt for my daughter. The only issues I agree with is braiding or fixing their hair like adults. That's a no no for me

make up is also a no no.

If my daughter is going out she either wears all this cinderella ball gowns to kiddies party or church and or wear jeans and top.

Halter neck spaghetti and so on depends on the location

Bum shorts and halter neck in the house or to the beach is ok. I don't agree with anywhere else. Also if a child wears it when young, how do you know say its unacceptable later?

4 Likes

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by MusingsOfALady: 5:44am On Oct 07, 2015
Roland17:
The level of moral decadence all in the name of trendy fashion is absolutely deplorable, we have virtually succeeded in convicting our conscience of wrongdoing for thinking otherwise thus reel out excuses why these insane habits are termed normal and trendy.

There is absolutely no way toddlers, pre teenagers should parade the streets on bum shorts or any sort of revealing cloth, the short itself is reserved for the house or a beach wear and mostly for adults who are mature enough to understand the responsibility that comes along with exposure of body parts not an outing wear that exposes the kids to the consciousness of their sexuality and how the modern society filled with wolfs view it and sadly they have absolutely no idea what they are wearing, the pleasure is enjoyed by the guardian or parent(s) who derives satisfaction from looking at her toddler dressed "to kill".

Being an adult is about accepting and understanding responsibilities and not shunting them, all I see in today's supposed adults are people filled with excuses to be irresponsible and irrational in their actions especially in the presence of minors.

A female colleague at works often listened to songs with provocative and leud languages and severally rants along, cursing along with the rappers, she swears she never uses such in the presence of her kids who are between 2-6, o well recently there was a summer get together organized for employees, family and friends of employees were invited..well the second son who is 4 got mad at the 6 year old sister over some candy and yelled "Bit...ch give me my candy" not once but thrice just to convince everyone we did not hear correctly, everyone's attention swung at them and the embarrassment was immense, suffice to say the shame was unbearable for her, she grabbed all three and they left through the back.

We can not continue to deny our actions and inactions directly influence young minds who innocently are receptive to their immediate environment...we have a responsibility to every kid and minor amongst us to consciously protect their innocence until they are mature enough to understand responsibility.

Great post, can't agree more.

12 Likes

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by SAMBARRY: 6:50am On Oct 07, 2015
MusingsOfALady:

Bum shorts and halter neck in the house or to the beach is ok. I don't agree with anywhere else. Also if a child wears it when young, how do you know say its unacceptable later?
I said it depends on the location
Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by SAMBARRY: 6:55am On Oct 07, 2015
shocked

you mean that young lad called his sister b.tch shocked

chaiiii the mother is in trouble shocked
Roland17:

A female colleague at works often listened to songs with provocative and leud languages and severally rants along, cursing along with the rappers, she swears she never uses such in the presence of her kids who are between 2-6, o well recently there was a summer get together organized for employees, family and friends of employees were invited..well the second son who is 4 got mad at the 6 year old sister over some candy and yelled "Bit...ch give me my candy" not once but thrice just to convince everyone we did not hear correctly, everyone's attention swung at them and the embarrassment was immense, suffice to say the shame was unbearable for her, she grabbed all three and they left through the back.

6 Likes

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by Nobody: 12:38pm On Oct 07, 2015
It's a shame really . . .

I think we are trying too hard to copy the westerners.

I recently went to my daughter's graduation and the way the children (Kindergarten) dressed was just unbelievable. It was like everybody was trying to out-shine each other in a silent indecency competition.

The hairstyle on the girls were unebleivabel. For God's sake these children are btw 3 and 5. Don't they know how uncomfortable those weaves must be for them angry

People often ask me why I shave my daughters' hair . . . as if putting on brads will make them more successful in life undecided undecided undecided I'd like to keep them young and innocent for as long as I can. In any case, a well cut hair makes a child look prettier than those outrageous colured weaves. If only they knew. undecided

Morals are lost in this country. I shiver to think of what the future holds for our children. May God keep me alive to protect mine . . . Amen!

35 Likes

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by freecocoa(f): 4:24pm On Oct 07, 2015
While I agree that it's less than ideal to dress up kids in the manner presented, let us refrain from saying it's "provocative" there is nothing provocative about kids when it comes to pedophiles for feck's sakes, a peadophile is already sick, will strike at any opportunity he/she gets, so how a kid is dressed has absolutely nothing to do with it.

We shouldn't dress kids as adults because they are kids and should be treated as such, it is that simple.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by coogar: 5:17pm On Oct 07, 2015
crackhaus:

who else would you blame other than the idïotic mothers dressing them up like hoodrats. women can be very silly with the way they train their kids. there has to be a law that prevents some women from having/training kids. no father would dress up his daughter in bumshorts with lewd make-up on her face. this has the signature of irresponsible mothers all over it!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by Nobody: 5:54pm On Oct 07, 2015
This is an example of what happens when a slut decides to have a child for someone like her, cos i cnt even imagine how kids would be dressed that way!! Our African nature is slowly dieing down, babymama everywhere, and the society even celebrates that.
Who born me well to dress scantily even as an adult? grin my daddy had 10girls and we know what it means to have 10GiRLS, he brought us all up in modesty, my roomate still calls me S.U even tho i wear trouser and do a litttle makeup, i wouldnt even be comfortable exposing sensitive parts of my body, not to talk of small kids.
The problem lies with mothers especially cos they feel like they own the kids and they know whats best for them.

13 Likes

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by Nobody: 5:56pm On Oct 07, 2015
coogar:

who else would you blame other than the idïotic mothers dressing them up like hoodrats. women can be very silly with the way they train their kids. there has to be a law that prevents some women from having/training kids. no father would dress up his daughter in bumshorts with lewd make-up on her face. this has the signature of irresponsible mothers all over it!
You're so correct, and if you check am well it either they are single mother or babymama
They want their kids to look fabulous from their tender age.

3 Likes

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by freecocoa(f): 6:19pm On Oct 07, 2015
coogar:

Doesn't the father get any blame?grin

6 Likes

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by coogar: 6:23pm On Oct 07, 2015
freecocoa:
Doesn't the father get any blame?grin

nigerian father painting the face of his daughters for a party?

4 Likes

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by freecocoa(f): 6:29pm On Oct 07, 2015
coogar:

nigerian father painting the face of his daughters for a party?
Not painting the face ofcourse, not doing anything about it.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by coogar: 6:36pm On Oct 07, 2015
freecocoa:
Not painting the face ofcourse, not doing anything about it.

the fathers are normally at work at these party hours. don't shift the blame.....he cannot provide the money for clothing, food, shelter, etc and still be held responsible for the kinda clothes the wife buys for the kids.

classicB:
This is an example of what happens when a slut decides to have a child for someone like her, cos i cnt even imagine how kids would be dressed that way!! Our African nature is slowly dieing down, babymama everywhere, and the society even celebrates that.
Who born me well to dress scantily even as an adult? grin my daddy had 10girls and we know what it means to have 10GiRLS, he brought us all up in modesty, my roomate still calls me S.U even tho i wear trouser and do a litttle makeup, i wouldnt even be comfortable exposing sensitive parts of my body, not to talk of small kids.
The problem lies with mothers especially cos they feel like they own the kids and they know whats best for them.

classicB:

You're so correct, and if you check am well it either they are single mother or babymama
They want their kids to look fabulous from their tender age.

you wicked small o!

1 Like

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by freecocoa(f): 6:43pm On Oct 07, 2015
coogar:

the fathers are normally at work at these party hours. don't shift the blame.....he cannot provide the money for clothing, food, shelter, etc and still be held responsible for the kinda clothes the wife buys for the kids.

Haha! You don't know zilch about naija parties then, they even have 'daddies corners' at these parties.tongue

I'm not trying to shift blame, I just want you to know you can't blame mothers alone, I know a man that buys clothes for his kids, and he buys lots of bumshorts, boots, tops, etc for them(his wife included) whenever he travels out of the country.

6 Likes

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by MusingsOfALady: 6:44pm On Oct 07, 2015
You can't totally absolve the Fathers, someone just commented on how her father brought her up. While the father dosent usually buy the clothes or applies the makeup, his responsibilty is not limited to providing. He should set the tone for what is acceptable and on his his children should be brought up.

The reason some women don't do it is because of their husbands.

15 Likes

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by freecocoa(f): 6:50pm On Oct 07, 2015
MusingsOfALady:
You can't totally absolve the Fathers, someone just commented on how her father brought her up. While the father dosent usually buy the clothes or applies the makeup, his responsibilty is not limited to providing. He should set the tone for what is acceptable and on his his children should be brought up.

I also believe the husbands are the reasons why some women do it. It's really sad.

1 Like

Re: Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting by coogar: 7:03pm On Oct 07, 2015
freecocoa:
Haha! You don't know zilch about naija parties then, they even have 'daddies corners' at these parties.tongue

daddies corners? grin

I'm not trying to shift blame, I just want you to know you can't blame mothers alone, I know a man that buys clothes for his kids, and he buys lots of bumshorts, boots, tops, etc for them(his wife included) whenever he travels out of the country.

you know a man that buys such for his daughters? i refuse to believe this. the average nigerian man is super-protective when it comes to his daughters. bum-shorts? you gotta be kidding me!

MusingsOfALady:

i can totally absolve the fathers.
if we are talking about kids not going to school cos of fees, kids not getting well-fed, etc then fathers should shoulder that blame. however, on this subject, the fathers have no blame at all.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

When Your Presence Is Ruining The Show / "My Father Is Dead" - Darren Idongesit Rejoices Over 'Wonderful' News / How Can I Stop My Husband's Phone Addiction?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.