Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani (26443 Views)

Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / British Kids Fluently Speaking Igbo / Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Afam4eva(m): 3:49am On Jan 15, 2017
laudate:

You have just corroborated what I have been saying. The Yoruba guy learnt Igbo because he lived in Igbo land. I also gave you an example of my friend who learnt Ibibio from his neighbours, while living in Lagos. Are you telling me, there are no other ethnic groups that have citizens who migrate to other parts of Nigeria, and have learnt the language of their hosts? So why would Nnabros generalise by saying ONLY among the Igbo would you find people who can speak the 3 major languages? undecided
He has a point. It's not ONLY igbos but Igbos are most likely going to be able to speak different languages than other ethnic groups. It's just what i've noticed personally.

4 Likes

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by laudate: 3:53am On Jan 15, 2017
Afam4eva:
He has a point. It's not ONLY igbos but Igbos are most likely going to be able to speak different languages than other ethnic groups. It's just what i've noticed personally.

See, if he had said most likely and left it at that, there would have been no issue. But to go further and say that ONLY among the Igbo would you find people who speak all 3 major languages, is getting a little far-fetched. That is generalising. Like I stated in my previous posts, I have met people from other ethnic groups who speak all 3 languages. My point is simple - Polyglots exist in different ethnic groups, not just among the Igbo. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Nobody: 3:56am On Jan 15, 2017
laudate:

You have just corroborated what I have been saying. The Yoruba guy learnt Igbo because he lived in Igbo land. I also gave you an example of my friend who learnt Ibibio from his neighbours, while living in Lagos. Are you telling me, there are no other ethnic groups that have citizens who migrate to other parts of Nigeria, and have learnt the language of their hosts? So why would Nnabros generalise by saying ONLY among the Igbo would you find people who can speak the 3 major languages? undecided

but i wouldn't have taken him seriously because that was an exaggeration
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by bigfrancis21: 6:35am On Jan 15, 2017
laudate:

See, if he had said most likely and left it at that, there would have been no issue. But to go further and say that ONLY among the Igbo would you find people who speak all 3 major languages, is getting a little far-fetched. That is generalising. Like I stated in my previous posts, I have met people from other ethnic groups who speak all 3 languages. My point is simple - Polyglots exist in different ethnic groups, not just among the Igbo. undecided

You still do not get his point. He didn't say other tribes are not trilingual or bilingual as the case may be but the frequency of Igbos being able to speak other languages is the highest of all 3 major tribes of Nigeria. The Hausa tribe comes second and the Yoruba tribe comes third. That's just another interpretation of his point. It is not generalizing, he is just stating an observation which I myself have noticed to be true.

This parallel is similar to that of the Jews who are often speakers of many world languages, in addition to their native Hebrew and for this reason they make very good spies to other European countries as they blend in easily.

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by bigfrancis21: 6:46am On Jan 15, 2017
laudate:

Please go back and read the entire post Nnaabros made, to which I responded. I had to edit it, because it was rather long, just to highlight the part that I felt was rather incorrect. sad

This is part of what he said:

No one denies that the Igbo are highly mobile or migratory in nature. But to say that it is 'most likely' that you can find people who speak the 3 major languages ONLY among the Igbo is highly debatable. sad

Northerners are also migrants, and a lot of people across the nation are familiar with the 'mai-guard', or the 'suya man' who is most likely to be a northerner. So why does he feel that only those who can speak the 3 major languages are to be found ONLY among the Igbo? undecided People from other ethnic tribes also migrate to different places, but maybe not in the large numbers that the Igbo do. I know a friend who picked up the Ibibio language from his neighbours, who lived next door to him in Lagos. Today, he is a fluent speaker of that language, even though he is not a native of their town. wink

So did Nnabros conduct a survey or something, before he made his comments? Isn't his response a sweeping generalisation? shocked

I have read this post and to me this is just raising dust over nothing. If someone says tall people are most likely to be men. They did not say all tall people are men, but if you see a tall person, chances are high that the person is a man. It is just an observation being put into speech form. It does not say, however, that women are short or not tall. There are tall women too, but the ratio of tall men to tall women would probably be at 80:20. Most likely is English' own way of saying 'high probability' in math. I have seen people often make arguments out of nothing that is self-sufficient by itself. It is not generalizing, it is merely stating an observation. Truth be told, Igbos and Hausas migrate a lot and these 2 tribes, of the 3 major tribes, tend to be trilingual or bilingual as the case may be. They learn the languages of their hosts as it helps to boost their businesses. The Yorubas are not so keen at learning other languages especially Igbo, just a small percentage of them speak or understand Igbo fluently. It is not generalization, it is stating facts. Of course to every rule there is an exception, but the exception does not negate the 'rule' which represents the majority of obvious.

4 Likes

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Okeikpu(m): 7:39am On Jan 15, 2017
Nice 1
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by 49cents(m): 7:43am On Jan 15, 2017
Ishilove:

It's not Igbo o. It is Igbira and my native name is Oiza grin

So you are Ahuoiza!!!
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Ishilove: 8:46am On Jan 15, 2017
49cents:

So you are Ahuoiza!!!

Yas cheesy
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by 49cents(m): 8:50am On Jan 15, 2017
Ishilove:

Yas cheesy

Thought as much!!!!
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by uzolexis(f): 9:00am On Jan 15, 2017
cstr55:

I am not wrong na.
The igbo language would be the first to disintegrate. Evey indices points to it. The UN even made a study about it.
Go to lagos and see thousands of igbo children speaking ngbatii-ngbatii. Igbo parents nowadays wants their kids speaking the queen's english like a deranged lunatic and detest any mention of the igbo language in the home.
While igbo single men and women who are increasingly getting to married to other ethnics fail to impress their culture on their kids and so lose their children to the other culture. It is rampant nowadays.
An example that can you relate to is that of peter okoye's kids. The kids attended a cultural day in their school in yoruba agbada while their surname clearly spells okoye.
Everybody shrugged it off like it is nothing, but i know it is a growing phenomenon that can be very dangerous. It is a subtle psychological attack on igbo consciousness.
It is a shame, i know , but it is the truth. And i love the truth.

But Peter Okoye's wife is yoruba and mother's have more influence on their kids in relation to culture than fathers. There are yoruba men married to igbo women whose kids will wear Igbo attire to a cultural day.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Afam4eva(m): 9:14am On Jan 15, 2017
uzolexis:

But Peter Okoye's wife is yoruba and mother's have more influence on their kids in relation to culture than fathers. Their are yoruba men married to igbo women whose kids will wear Igbo attire to a cultural day.
Infact there are most Yoruba men married to Igbo women than vice versa.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by laudate: 9:46am On Jan 15, 2017
bigfrancis21:
You still do not get his point. He didn't say other tribes are not trilingual or bilingual as the case may be but the frequency of Igbos being able to speak other languages is the highest of all 3 major tribes of Nigeria. The Hausa tribe comes second and the Yoruba tribe comes third. That's just another interpretation of his point. It is not generalizing, he is just stating an observation which I myself have noticed to be true.

This parallel is similar to that of the Jews who are often speakers of many world languages, in addition to their native Hebrew and for this reason they make very good spies to other European countries as they blend in easily.

I get his point clearly. He was generalising.

bigfrancis21:
I have read this post and to me this is just raising dust over nothing. If someone says tall people are most likely to be men. They did not say all tall people are men, but if you see a tall person, chances are high that the person is a man. It is just an observation being put into speech form. It does not say, however, that women are short or not tall. There are tall women too, but the ratio of tall men to tall women would probably be at 80:20. Most likely is English' own way of saying 'high probability' in math. I have seen people often make arguments out of nothing that is self-sufficient by itself. It is not generalizing, it is merely stating an observation. Truth be told, Igbos and Hausas migrate a lot and these 2 tribes, of the 3 major tribes, tend to be trilingual or bilingual as the case may be. They learn the languages of their hosts as it helps to boost their businesses. The Yorubas are not so keen at learning other languages especially Igbo, just a small percentage of them speak or understand Igbo fluently. It is not generalization, it is stating facts. Of course to every rule there is an exception, but the exception does not negate the 'rule' which represents the majority of obvious.

Sorry, I disagree. You are just playing with words. All that talk about tall people & what not, is just semantics. Go back & read his post again. Like I stated earlier, his submission that ONLY among the Igbo would speakers of the 3 major languages be found, is a sweeping generalisation. Polyglots are found in other ethnic groups. If they didn't exist in other tribes, then Nnabros' would have a case.
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by DrogoG(m): 5:45pm On Jan 15, 2017
I hate seeing people who hate their own language. That's why many rich Nigerian languages have gone extinct!
Yorubas don't f*uck with their language, they make sure their kids learn it, while Igbos are gradually losing their own!

1 Like

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Ugosample(m): 7:32pm On Jan 15, 2017
bigfrancis21:

You know many Israelis /Jews cannot speak Jewish right?
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Ugosample(m): 7:34pm On Jan 15, 2017
DrogoG:
I hate seeing people who hate their own language. That's why many rich Nigerian languages have gone extinct!
Yorubas don't f*uck with their language, they make sure their kids learns it, while Igbos gradually losing their own!

I know MANY Yoruba people who cannot speak Yoruba o

The ones now likely to know Yoruba are the ones who grew up in the hood.
That has been my experience growing up in Lagos.

In my secondary school back then, MANY couldn't speak, because of the level of the school maybe, but for the razz public schools, they speak it well

1 Like

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by bigfrancis21: 7:37pm On Jan 15, 2017
Ugosample:

You know many Israelis /Jews cannot speak Jewish right?

Ya about 40% of them, especially those born and raised outside Israel often can't speak Hebrew.
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by DrogoG(m): 8:24pm On Jan 15, 2017
Oh my Oh my! I've seen these pics before. These were taken in the early 80s! I know this family personally. They're from my village in Umuahia. Adaobi was a little kid the first and last time I saw her. Her father shielded them from the public.

This family isolated itself and didn't mingle much with outsiders, except the man himself who visited us few times. My father was among the very few people he allowed in his home. This family's way of life was the opposite of mine. Our home was always open to everyone. Our gate was usually left unlocked in the day but locked at night. My father was a very generous man who helped a lot of his people to succeed.

I remember that Volvo. He used that car for many decades and it was the most well maintained car I knew. I don't know if the car still exists today. It would a world record if it does.

The man (a.k.a. Ete, youths called him De Ete) was once a friend to my father. They both partnered to bring electricity to our village. But their relationship ended when my father stopped this man from changing our village's name, and majority of the villagers backed my father.

His reason was that the name contains the name of an ancient god the villagers used to worship, and that it hinders the sons and daughters of the village from progress. The man is the type that believed in diabolic nonsense. But my father (a staunch christian) asked him, "if what you said was true, how come both of us are successful? How come we have many successful people both at home and abroad? My Dad then said, "leave the name alone if you don't have a better thing to do to help the youths. There are many ways we can help our people, name change is not one of them. The name has no negative effect whatsoever on anyone and your claim doesn't support the reality!".

The man did everything to intimidate my father to join him but failed, including vandalizing our property and suing my father to court which my father won. My brother and I stormed the village and enforced a curfew for 10 hours, beat the crap out of some of his followers (to set an example) and sent the man and his followers a stern warning against any threat to our father or any of our family members and vandalize any our properties. The news of this spread far and wide. A respected elderly man begged us to end the siege.

When we left the village, the man and his dumb followers calmed and stopped the harassment. The chaos happened in early 90s. Fast-forward today, the controversial name change dispute is history and totally forgotten. I don't even know if the man is still alive today. I don't go home often.

My beloved father and brother are Late. I miss them so much.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Ugosample(m): 8:32pm On Jan 15, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Ya about 40% of them, especially those born and raised outside Israel often can't speak Hebrew.

And the fact that they cannot speak Hebrew does not make them less Jewish than others who can.
Just saying tho...

What is most important is for cultural groups to make their mark on the world, like the way the Jews, and Chinese have done
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by WhiteNoise(m): 9:17pm On Jan 15, 2017
Not good. Teach your kids as many languages as possible. They'll learn & it will help their mental acuity
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by DrogoG(m): 10:06pm On Jan 15, 2017
Ugosample:

I know MANY Yoruba people who cannot speak Yoruba o

The ones now likely to know Yoruba are the ones who grew up in the hood.
That has been my experience growing up in Lagos.

In my secondary school back then, MANY couldn't speak, because of the level of the school maybe, but for the razz public schools, they speak it well

You're right but most Yoruba kids can speak their language both home and abroad compared to Igbos (I'm Igbo by the way). Yorubas are always keen to keep their culture alive and I envy that.
Nigerian cultures and languages are rich but our society doesn't encourage their preservation!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jan 15, 2017
laudate:

Please go back and read the entire post Nnaabros made, to which I responded. I had to edit it, because it was rather long, just to highlight the part that I felt was rather incorrect. sad

This is part of what he said:

No one denies that the Igbo are highly mobile or migratory in nature. But to say that it is 'most likely' that you can find people who speak the 3 major languages ONLY among the Igbo is highly debatable. sad

Northerners are also migrants, and a lot of people across the nation are familiar with the 'mai-guard', or the 'suya man' who is most likely to be a northerner. So why does he feel that only those who can speak the 3 major languages are to be found ONLY among the Igbo? undecided People from other ethnic tribes also migrate to different places, but maybe not in the large numbers that the Igbo do. I know a friend who picked up the Ibibio language from his neighbours, who lived next door to him in Lagos. Today, he is a fluent speaker of that language, even though he is not a native of their town. wink

So did Nnabros conduct a survey or something, before he made his comments? Isn't his response a sweeping generalisation? shocked

Oh my bad, I just saw the ONLY now. That's a wrong notion though.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by viewflux(m): 10:47am On Jan 16, 2017
swazpedro:
if only i could spare more than a minute to read i would have understood what u wrote

I do not mean to halt you on the above statement but it is sad that this generation of youths do not border to read books again other than very short stories which is synonymous to chatting lingua. if you are into reading of books, you will not have any stress in reading through the personal narratives of the writer and appreciating her effort in not been left out of her mother tongue. however, if you can not spare time to read then do not border to open such a topic, let alone comment..

i want to categorically state that chatting lingua has really kill the creative mind of out young generation as this has made any write-up that is not close to chatting lingua so stressful to read through. no wonder we are seeing a larger generation of younger graduates that do not listen to NATIONAL NEWS REGULERLY even though we know we are been feed with lies but at least if we do listen, we will know that the president of Nigeria is Gen. MOHAMMADU BUHARA and not DR. Buraha., we will knw that the first lady of Nigeria is not Stelle Obasanjo (these are the answers given by suppose graduates when they where asked those question.).

please do not allow your chatting lingua affect both your quantitative and cognitive reasoning.
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Afam4eva(m): 11:09am On Jan 16, 2017
DrogoG:
Oh my Oh my! I've seen these pics before. These were taken in the early 80s! I know this family personally. They're from my village in Umuahia. Adaobi was a little kid the first and last time I saw her. Her father shielded them from the public.

This family isolated itself and didn't mingle much with outsiders, except the man himself who visited us few times. My father was among the very few people he allowed in his home. This family's way of life was the opposite of mine. Our home was always open to everyone. Our gate was usually left unlocked in the day but locked at night. My father was a very generous man who helped a lot of his people to succeed.

I remember that Volvo. He used that car for many decades and it was the most well maintained car I knew. I don't know if the car still exists today. It would a world record if it does.

The man (a.k.a. Ete, youths called him De Ete) was once a friend to my father. They both partnered to bring electricity to our village. But their relationship ended when my father stopped this man from changing our village's name, and majority of the villagers backed my father.

His reason was that the name contains the name of an ancient god the villagers used to worship, and that it hinders the sons and daughters of the village from progress. The man is the type that believed in diabolic nonsense. But my father (a staunch christian) asked him, "if what you said was true, how come both of us are successful? How come we have many successful people both at home and abroad? My Dad then said, "leave the name alone if you don't have a better thing to do to help the youths. There are many ways we can help our people, name change is not one of them. The name has no negative effect whatsoever on anyone and your claim doesn't support the reality!".

The man did everything to intimidate my father to join him but failed, including vandalizing our property and suing my father to court which my father won. My brother and I stormed the village and enforced a curfew for 10 hours, beat the crap out of some of his followers (to set an example) and sent the man and his followers a stern warning against any threat to our father or any of our family members and vandalize any our properties. The news of this spread far and wide. A respected elderly man begged us to end the siege.

When we left the village, the man and his dumb followers calmed and stopped the harassment. The chaos happened in early 90s. Fast-forward today, the controversial name change dispute is history and totally forgotten. I don't even know if the man is still alive today. I don't go home often.

My beloved father and brother are Late. I miss them so much.
From your story, the man definitely seems like someone tat can ask his children not to speak Igbo.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by DrogoG(m): 2:41pm On Jan 16, 2017
Afam4eva:

From your story, the man definitely seems like someone tat can ask his children not to speak Igbo.

Yep. Nobody knew this was going in his home but I wasn't surprise. He was too secretive and mean-spirited.
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by esere826: 10:50am On Jan 17, 2017
Ishilove:

It's been quite a while smiley

I know the author, by the way. Her debut novel, 'I do not come to you by chance' is about 419 and it's a classic! cheesy

Esere826's wonderful gift to me smiley

smiley

1 Like

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Ishilove: 2:13pm On Jan 17, 2017
esere826:

smiley
And out he pops like a Jack in the Box cheesy
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by esere826: 4:13pm On Jan 17, 2017
Ishilove:

And out he pops like a Jack in the Box cheesy

grin
You awakened me from my rest, the way Prophet Samuel was awakened by Saul's sorceress
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Ishilove: 8:49pm On Jan 17, 2017
esere826:

grin
You awakened me from my rest, the way Prophet Samuel was awakened by Saul's sorceress
That's so morbid angry
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by esere826: 8:51pm On Jan 17, 2017
Ishilove:

That's so morbid angry
Ya grammer is too big for me
Pls use small ones .. bikonu smiley
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Ishilove: 8:54pm On Jan 17, 2017
esere826:

Ya grammer is too big for me
Pls use small ones .. bikonu smiley
How are you? You went AWOL

I've missed you smiley
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by esere826: 12:43pm On Jan 18, 2017
Ishilove:

How are you? You went AWOL

I've missed you smiley
missed you too deariee
i dey find money ooo ..
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Ishilove: 7:48pm On Jan 18, 2017
esere826:

missed you too deariee
i dey find money ooo ..
My dear when you find it pass on some to your girl Ishi wink smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... / My Boyfriend's Parents Don't Approve Me, And They Haven't Even Met Me Yet / Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.