Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,527 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? (26607 Views)

Netflix Finally Acquires Popular Nigerian Sitcom / What Comedy/sitcom/romantic Comedy TV Series Are You Watching Right Now? / Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by BraniacX(m): 8:17pm On Jan 04, 2017
Ishilove:

Do you remember the show about the fmily who travelled to their village but their vehicle. Broke down on the way and at the end witches feasted on them?
I remember it shocked
Walahi it was soooo scary shocked

Can't believe i scared so easily back then undecided

What is the name?

No!

Please don't say the name (no guarantees it still won't scare me shitless! embarassed )

Like what business did NTA have showing that in the morning on a saturday? angry WTF was that!

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Toluabigr8(m): 8:22pm On Jan 04, 2017
Sansa143:
come collect,i get one jerry can for house,i fit fetch one litre 4 u!

thank you ma beans don done
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Ishilove: 8:26pm On Jan 04, 2017
BraniacX:

I remember it shocked
Walahi it was soooo scary shocked

Can't believe i scared so easily back then undecided

What is the name?

No!

Please don't say the name (no guarantees it still won't scare me shitless! embarassed )

Like what business did NTA have showing that in the morning on a saturday? angry WTF was that!
I watched it on Saturdays, around 1pm grin
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Hanendez(m): 8:39pm On Jan 04, 2017
Lemonade01:
undecided
Do not take the name of the Lord in vain. Exodus 20:7
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by samuel051: 8:53pm On Jan 04, 2017
Richy4:
I remembered one Drama those days called the pot of Life...I think it was NTA Benin that usually show that...I know my mum due watch it but I do not even know what it was all about those days cause I was small...I have tried searching for it on You-tube...but got no luck....
its on YouTube,men that movie gave me chills for many years,it was about a sick oba,and the only thing that could revive him was the pot of life in the land of the dead,wen d villagers were ask who will go and get the pot,everyone stepped back except a young girl who spent 3 years,3months,3weeks and 3days to get it. men that movie was horror back den wen we used to watched it on our black and white president TV. later heard d girl died after d movie. good old days.
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by clemmonce(m): 9:04pm On Jan 04, 2017
Lemonade01:
undecided
it is becoming stall. If you didn't give a fuc.k why did you open the thread. Mumu them
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Richy4(m): 9:16pm On Jan 04, 2017
samuel051:
its on YouTube,men that movie gave me chills for many years,it was about a sick oba,and the only thing that could revive him was the pot of life in the land of the dead,wen d villagers were ask who will go and get the pot,everyone stepped back except a young girl who spent 3 years,3months,3weeks and 3days to get it. men that movie was horror back den wen we used to watched it on our black and white president TV. later heard d girl died after d movie. good old days.

Yea man...I have seen the 15mins clip of the pot of life on youtube......I know the black and white presidential TV bro....even the Black and white TV that got four legs and stuffs that looks like drawers you have to open it before you turn it on...though I can't remember the make of that TV grin
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by laudate: 10:10pm On Jan 04, 2017
Richy4:
Yea man...I have seen the 15mins clip of the pot of life on youtube......I know the black and white presidential TV bro....even the Black and white TV that got four legs and stuffs that looks like drawers you have to open it before you turn it on...though I can't remember the make of that TV grin

Bros, please how old are you if you don't mind my asking?? cheesy
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by PrettyGaby(f): 10:11pm On Jan 04, 2017
OMG! That was when NTA was still alive. jagua, my Belle o, my head o. Kai, I son old sha
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by samuel051: 10:39pm On Jan 04, 2017
Richy4:

now plasma HD and 3d ti take over. how time flies..
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by bignames(m): 11:32pm On Jan 04, 2017
plz where can I download d movie
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by bignames(m): 11:38pm On Jan 04, 2017
plz where can I download d video
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by jantavanta(m): 2:50am On Jan 05, 2017
bignames:
plz where can I download d video

I doubt if anybody has uploaded it. It will be in NTA archives in U-matic format.

Who remembers another comedian Aluwe?
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 2:52am On Jan 05, 2017
jantavanta:

I doubt if anybody has uploaded it. It will be in NTA archives in U-matic format.

Who remembers another comedian Aluwe?

Ojo Ladipo Theatre /Awada Kerikeri.
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Sultty(m): 3:25am On Jan 05, 2017
Ishilove:

Do you remember the show about the fmily who travelled to their village but their vehicle. Broke down on the way and at the end witches feasted on them?
that should be behind the cloud late 80's but house all of u r old o, even my memory just rebooting lol grin
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by mytym(m): 3:54am On Jan 05, 2017
GoldCircle:
Was he Kunle Afolayan's father?

No, Kunle Afolayans father is Adeyemi Afolayan has a different stage name.and popular for his Songs/Dance-drama. He was an Actor/Director/Producer.

His stage name is Ade Love.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Nobody: 4:44am On Jan 05, 2017
MISSOPTIMIST:
Jagua my belle oh, my head oh.. Kaza dey garri.. After the Kaza episode I started looking forward to eating soaked garri with chicken.. Jagua also had a funny way of eating rice with bare hands.. his popular phrase was "Shege jagua"

This brings back lots of memories.. I was very small then.. can't remember the storyline but I remember the feeling.. coupled with those of Wili Wili (this made me get scared of darkness and shadows) tales by moonlight, mirror in the sun, village headmaster (giringory, ovuloria, clarus, jegede and zebrudaya).. good old days.. I am all grown up now.

I think you mixed up 2 popular sitcoms. Chief Zebrudaya, Ovularia, and Chief Jegede Shokoya are from the sitcom "New masquerade" while "Gringory" and Clarus are from the "New village headmaster.
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 6:11am On Jan 05, 2017
MISSOPTIMIST:
Jagua my belle oh, my head oh.. Kaza dey garri.. After the Kaza episode I started looking forward to eating soaked garri with chicken.. Jagua also had a funny way of eating rice with bare hands.. his popular phrase was "Shege jagua"

This brings back lots of memories.. I was very small then.. can't remember the storyline but I remember the feeling.. coupled with those of Wili Wili (this made me get scared of darkness and shadows) tales by moonlight, mirror in the sun, village headmaster (giringory, ovuloria, clarus, jegede and zebrudaya).. good old days.. I am all grown up now.

Timotee:

I think you mixed up 2 popular sitcoms. Chief Zebrudaya, Ovularia, and Chief Jegede Shokoya are from the sitcom "New masquerade" while "Gringory" and Clarus are from the "New village headmaster.

grin You also made the same mistake that she made. All the people she mentioned, including Gringory and Clarus, are actually from the New Masquerade.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Tokziby: 8:18am On Jan 05, 2017
naptu2:

grin You also made the same mistake that she made. All the people she mentioned, including Gringory and Clarus, are actually from the New Masquerade.

Village headmaster had kabiyesi, Gorimapa, Eleyimi (Later became a monach real life), Dagbolu, Balogun, Headmaster(Justus Esiri, (Dr. SID(mo hit) dad), and host of others.

The theme song of jagua -
Wazobia Wazobia (2x),
from cairo to Ame,
Thank God of Africa for Joining africa together and so so so.....

Tell me Where dem born u Nigeria
i say tell me where dem born u nigeria
Because of austerity u want to run away, replied: Oh no
Because of austerity u want to check, Oh no
I go do my best papa
i go try my best mama
for my papa land
lai lai i no go run away, lai lai i no go check out Nigeria is my one

Ha October 1st 1960 when Nigeria get independent some shouting haleluya Some shout Allahu Akbar
Alhaji Tafawa balewa was the prime minister and so on...

Nobody remember to add, Second Chance by late Funsho Alabi, with madam kofo and others
we had tales by moonlight 6.30pm sundays
8 pm on sundays were for Behind the cloud, with Efe, Nosa, Funmi, also Justus esiri once u see that Venus gold advert u know its the end
NTA was also airing their youruba series of Arelu, yanponyanri, Abija, koto orun, etc
NTA 5 had a rebranding in 89-90 and had contracts with contek movies to air action movies in the night
Before NET got burnt LTV was the best channel as it had best programs and by the weekend they transform to LWT (Lagos weekend telivision) from 8am to 2am with movies at eleven o clock. After their disaster they has a contract with clapper board studio to show movies as well iun the afternoon with all this yeye flying chinese people. Mind u i'm just above 35 but i own the first seat infront of the TV from 4pm with those rainbow screen and the boring 1hr Sesame street opening till 9.00 when this news woman(name forgotten) and John Momoh start their yeye NTA news and ruth Benamesia Opiah was still junior together with cyril stober. i can go on and on...lol it was a memory to treasure

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Ishilove: 9:35am On Jan 05, 2017
Sultty:
that should be behind the cloud late 80's but house all of u r old o, even my memory just rebooting lol grin
Behind the clouds was a series, not a movie
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 9:42am On Jan 05, 2017
Ishilove:

I have faint memories of what you are talking about. I think it was one of those telemovies from Jos. They were usually shown at ten pm on Saturdays.

The only telemovie that I remember very well was Lynx, but I also remember bits and pieces of the others and I think this was one of them.
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Ishilove: 9:56am On Jan 05, 2017
naptu2:

I have faint memories of what you are talking about. I think it was one of those telemovies from Jos. They were usually shown at ten pm on Saturdays.

The only telemovie that I remember very well was Lynx, but I also remember bits and pieces of the others and I think this was one of them.
Do you have a Youtube link?
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 10:03am On Jan 05, 2017
Ishilove:

Do you have a Youtube link?

No. I've been searching for videos of Telemovies since forever, but I haven't found any.
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Arielle: 11:28am On Jan 05, 2017
This was just the funniest thing on telly. That song used to crack me up! They all dance around in a circle rubbing their bellies and clutching their heads! cheesy cheesy
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by laudate: 2:06pm On Jan 05, 2017
Tokziby:
Village headmaster had kabiyesi, Gorimapa, Eleyimi (Later became a monach real life), Dagbolu, Balogun, Headmaster(Justus Esiri, (Dr. SID(mo hit) dad), and host of others.

Wazobia Wazobia (2x),
from cairo to Ame,

I go do my best papa
i go try my best mama
for my papa land

Ha October 1st 1960 when Nigeria get independent some shouting haleluya Some shout Allahu Akbar

Nobody remember to add, Second Chance by late Funsho Alabi, with madam kofo and others
8 pm on sundays were for Behind the cloud, with Efe, Nosa, Funmi, also Justus esiri once u see that Venus gold advert u know its the end
NTA was also airing their youruba series of Arelu, yanponyanri, Abija, koto orun, etc
NTA 5 had a rebranding in 89-90 and had contracts with contek movies to air action movies in the night
Before NET got burnt LTV was the best channel as it had best programs and by the weekend they transform to LWT (Lagos weekend telivision) from 8am to 2am with movies at eleven o clock. After their disaster they has a contract with clapper board studio to show movies as well iun the afternoon with all this yeye flying chinese people. Mind u i'm just above 35 but i own the first seat infront of the TV from 4pm with those rainbow screen and the boring 1hr Sesame street opening till 9.00 when this news woman(name forgotten) and John Momoh start their yeye NTA news and ruth Benamesia Opiah was still junior together with cyril stober. i can go on and on...lol it was a memory to treasure

Bros, I don't believe you!! wink You can't be 35. You are definitely over 40!! cheesy Even me wey be say na my bed dey beside the TV for our house dat time, I cannot remember most of these shows and lyrics you have reeled out here!! grin

I think the news caster that used to read the news with John Momoh was called Funmi Odubekun. Another one was Sola Adelehin who later became his wife. Siene All-Well Brown was also among them, as well as Tokunbo Ajayi and Ruth Benamaisia.

The reason I remember their names, was because these women were fashion icons in those days. Any outfit they wore on screen was bound to be copied the following week by the fashionistas of Lagos. cool My older aunties loved their outfits, and would always do a rough sketch of their clothes, for their tailors to cut and sew. cheesy We were too young to understand it all then, but I remember that my job was to find paper & pencil for my aunty to use in drawing these outfits, whenever these newscasters appeared on air. That my aunty, she broke all my 2B pencils in those days.... angry
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 2:36pm On Jan 05, 2017
Tokziby:

Wazobia Wazobia (2x),
from cairo to Ame,

I go do my best papa
i go try my best mama
for my papa land

It wasn't because NET got burnt that LTV stopped LWT transmission.

NET got burnt in 1983 (I was actually on Broad Street on that day). LWT ran from c1981-1985 when the LWT studios got burnt.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 2:44pm On Jan 05, 2017
laudate:

Bros, I don't believe you!! wink You can't be 35. You are definitely over 40!! cheesy Even me wey be say na my bed dey beside the TV for our house dat time, I cannot remember most of these shows and lyrics you have reeled out here!! grin

I think the news caster that used to read the news with John Momoh was called Funmi Odubekun. Another one was Sola Adelehin who later became his wife. Siene All-Well Brown was also among them, as well as Tokunbo Ajayi.

The reason I remember their names, was because these women were fashion icons in those days. Any outfit they wore on screen was bound to be copied the following week by the fashionistas of Lagos. cool My older aunties loved their outfits, and would always do a rough sketch of their clothes, for their tailors to cut and sew. cheesy We were too young to understand it all then, but I remember that my job was to find paper & pencil for my aunty to use in drawing these outfits, whenever these newscasters appeared on air. That my aunty, she broke all my 2B pencils in those days.... angry

Funmi Odubekun, Joan O'Dwyer, Waheed Olagunju, Ronke Ayuba, John Momoh, Patrick Oke, Elizabeth Nze, Hauwa Baba-Ahmed, Ruth Benamesia, Sienne Allwel-Brown

And later, Donald Ovberedjo, Tokunboh Ajayi and Cyril Stober.

I remember when Cyril Stober was dating Efunsheke Merriman-Johnson of NTA2 Channel 5. Yinka Craig and Patrick Oke introduced him as "Cyril 'Your Reach Out' Stober".

I remember when Sienne Allwell-Brown got married. They introduced her as, "Sienne Allwell-Wed".
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by laudate: 2:48pm On Jan 05, 2017
naptu2:
Funmi Odubekun, Joan O'Dwyer, Waheed Olagunju, Ronke Ayuba, John Momoh, Patrick Oke, Elizabeth Nze, Hauwa Baba-Ahmed, Ruth Benamesia, Sienne Allwel-Brown

And later, Donald Ovberedjo, Tokunboh Ajayi and Cyril Stober.

I remember when Cyril Stober was dating Efunsheke Merriman-Johnson of NTA2 Channel 5. Yinka Craig and Patrick Oke introduced him as "Cyril 'Your Reach Out' Stober".

I remember when Sienne Allwell-Brown got married. They introduced her as, "Sienne Allwell-Wed".

Bros, I bow for you!! cheesy I dey hail, sir!! More respect!! cool May you live long! Something tells me that you are either a TV/Film producer, or a journalist. Which one?

May Yinka Craig's soul rest in perfect peace. May light perpetual shine on him... cry

Waheed Olagunju later went on to work for Bank of Industry (BOI) and became their Acting MD, I believe.

Was Taiwo Obileye not also one of the newscasters? Or was he an actor? Can't remember now...
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 3:44pm On Jan 05, 2017
laudate:

Bros, I bow for you!! cheesy I dey hail, sir!! More respect!! cool May you live long! Something tells me that you are either a TV/Film producer, or a journalist. Which one?

May Yinka Craig's soul rest in perfect peace. May light perpetual shine on him... cry

Waheed Olagunju later went on to work for Bank of Industry (BOI) and became their Acting MD, I believe.

Was Taiwo Obileye not also one of the newscasters? Or was he an actor? Can't remember now...

Yes, I think he was one of the newscasters, but he was better known as a commentator on state events like independence day, remembrance day, etc. He was a master of that kind of commentary.

He would tell you the name of the parade commander's horse, the number of times it had been used for similar ceremonies (this is important so that it is not frightened by the sound of the artillery guns and air force jets) and just about everything about the event.

He was also an actor and he played many roles on For Better, For Worse.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Sultty(m): 5:05pm On Jan 05, 2017
Ishilove:

but I do remember that movie it's just that I can't peg a name to it. We used to watch it on nta lagos 5 on Sunday evening and then I was freaked out
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 5:17pm On Jan 05, 2017
Ishilove:

Sultty:
but I do remember that movie it's just that I can't peg a name to it. We used to watch it on nta lagos 5 on Sunday evening and then I was freaked out

Sultty's response makes me even more convinced that it was a Telemovie.

Telemovie, just like Behind The Clouds, was produced in Jos and many of the people who later acted in Behind The Clouds also acted in the Telemovies.

The Telemovies were shown on either Saturday or Sunday night, while Behind The Clouds was shown on Sunday night.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Big Brother Africa: How Multichoice/dstv Is Under-developing Africa / Oge Okoye And Muna Ibekwe's Hot Scene In Blackberry Babes (Video) / 12 Year Old Nigerian, Zuriel Oduwole Is Youngest Film Maker In The World (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.