Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,146 members, 7,821,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:37 PM

Achebe Remains Finest Nigerian Novelist - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Achebe Remains Finest Nigerian Novelist (554 Views)

Chinua Achebe With Sonia Sanchez In Throwback Photo / Google: Why We Honoured Chinua Achebe / Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Achebe Remains Finest Nigerian Novelist by obibc(m): 7:40pm On Jan 04, 2017
ACHEBE REMAINS FINEST NIGERIAN NOVELIST.

By Duru kizito.

Since last week, I Had been engaged in an intellectual argument, here on Facebook, with a friend from Lagos state, who did and is still doing everything possible to make me see reasons why Chinua Achebe shouldn't be honoured so greatly, According to this young mind, he was of the view that people like chimamanda Adiche, Onyeka Nwelu and others have written more 'better' books than the iconic Achebe.

He told me that Things fall apart was dwelling in past glory, but what my dear friend failed to understand is that Literature is judged or analysed based on its ability to capture the socio-cultural, political and economic stand, strength and trend of the period it was written. This, I think is one of the reasons why Things fall apart will always be in the highest ladder of Literature even in years to come.

Achebe succinctly captured the political nay Religious battle between the whites and Africans, using his igbo tribe of Nigeria as a point of contact, the book revealed alot of things Africans need to know, especially in drawing a line between Civilization and modernization. It was at a time when few had the privilege of attaining higher education and also a time when infinitesimal number of persons had the energy and mental Discipline to romance the pen and paper, there came things fall Apart to quench the literary and expository hunger of many, little wonder, the novel has been translated in many other national and international languages with many awards to his credit , it is not just a novel for African but also a novel of African.

I read things fall apart first as a post-primary school student,and two years ago as a literary student and I am still reading it, on each occasion, I saw creativity and ingenuity defined through the book.

Apart from the fame and acclaim it got like a chartburster movie among youths, I still relish a book with gripping stories and powerful narration.

I couldnt have imagined another author with such profound story-telling prowess,larvish analytical power,creativity and sense of details. It is a book with such depth and layered creativity that you will always find a level slightly higher than yours, whether as a teenage reader or a full-grown greying man.

The genius and originality of the book makes it stand out and you cant help it.I have read many books but I give credit to the man,Achebe for making Africa proud as a pioneer Author.

I must say that Chimamanda is a fine writer in her own rights.I have read many of her far voluminous books as against Achebe's 126-page 'things fall apart' novel and she has similar style of 'story-telling power' but one can easily see that the eagle is always an eagle.

Achebe is an all-time best and simply in a class of his own. Writing is a very difficult endeavour and trying to publish a work myself, I realise how tedious it is to write a novel and I give it up to those who have travelled that road.

Comparison does no good to literary world. Every writer has a unique style and it should be Respected.

1 Like

Re: Achebe Remains Finest Nigerian Novelist by Oba1ni(m): 7:55pm On Jan 04, 2017
Re: Achebe Remains Finest Nigerian Novelist by BermudaTriangle(m): 7:56pm On Jan 04, 2017
A poo

(1) (Reply)

The Girl In The Background (episode 1) / Baba Sati, The Brown-moustached Palmwine Loving Certificate Huzzler / Do You Need Heavy Naija/afro Dance Beats?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.