Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,212 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates (29054 Views)

Asisat Oshoala's Mother Poses Proudly With Her Daughter's Glo CAF Award. Photos / Asisat Oshoala Wins Glo CAF Women Footballer Of The Year 2016(photos) / Aubameyang Lost His Luggage & Wore T-shirt And Cap To The Glo Caf Awards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by femi4: 11:19pm On Jan 05, 2017
enemmo:

He's not even a Nigerian Artiste fully...he's more of an International Artiste.Most times he's is USA and they value his songs more. Personally I'm not a fan of afrobeat but he's good.
abi o
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by rabzy: 11:20pm On Jan 05, 2017
enemmo:

He's not even a Nigerian Artiste fully...he's more of an International Artiste.Most times he's is USA and they value his songs more. Personally I'm not a fan of afrobeat but he's good.

His jazz is good, his afro beat is poor.
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by nurish(m): 11:20pm On Jan 05, 2017
enemmo:

You're wicked!LOL

na money he pursued go europe not fame
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by pmc01(m): 11:22pm On Jan 05, 2017
femi4:
silly excuse

E maa binu sir, but what makes it a silly excuse?
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by rabzy: 11:24pm On Jan 05, 2017
femi4:
Some of you were not born in that era.....how would you know. You think say name beans to get Grammy nominations?

The first song I remember watching of him then was the one he sang against smoking, drinking and drugs.... Which was a decent song. World music nomination na award. That one is just a throw away award to ease their conscience. Like I said he is a good jazz man and an energetic performer. But his songs don't cut it. Asa even sang a better afrobeat song than him.
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by nurish(m): 11:25pm On Jan 05, 2017
enemmo:
Chai Psquare Don miss this one o!

their mouth don big
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by femi4: 11:25pm On Jan 05, 2017
pmc01:

E maa binu sir, but what makes it a silly excuse?
Go figure
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by cue64: 11:27pm On Jan 05, 2017
enemmo:
Aubameyang what are you feeling. Like now with that ya teeshirt?
thanks to lufthansa is luggage was misplaced..
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by femi4: 11:28pm On Jan 05, 2017
rabzy:

The first song I remember watching of him then was the one he sang against smoking, drinking and drugs.... Which was a decent song. Like I said he is a good jazz man and an energetic performer. But his songs don't cut it. Asa even sang a better afrobeat song than him.
Now you are confuse
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by enemmo(f): 11:29pm On Jan 05, 2017
cue64:
thanks to lufthansa is luggage was misplaced..

Thanks I just found out,Now I feel bad for yabbing him
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by enemmo(f): 11:29pm On Jan 05, 2017
rabzy:

His jazz is good, his afro beat is poor.

Okay...
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by Maxcollins042(m): 11:29pm On Jan 05, 2017
koma1:

He can't most especially now that he has signed with a Chinese club.instead of him to remain in Europe he decided to choose money above career
Which career? The one wey don dey finish?

He should use his last days in football and make good money biko.
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by nurish(m): 11:31pm On Jan 05, 2017
best of mesut

dont mind me
i just wanted to remind his fans out dere

Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by suco01(m): 11:32pm On Jan 05, 2017
[quote author=zopaks post=52568506]
He knows he can't win it again so decided to dress that way [/quote
Not like dat. lufthansa airline misplaced his luggage
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by cue64: 11:32pm On Jan 05, 2017
enemmo:

Thanks I just found out,Now I feel bad for yabbing him
no thanks dearie sometimes we all need to be informed..
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by Ogunsesan: 11:34pm On Jan 05, 2017
zopaks:

He knows he can't win it again so decided to dress that way
actually Lufthansa misplaced his luggage. that's why he's dressed like that... Get facts before u judge...#peace

Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by chelseaboi(m): 11:39pm On Jan 05, 2017
Flavour. ... Slay niggar....always killing it.the ijele 1 of africa

Below is my own masquerade

Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by jayrock(m): 12:16am On Jan 06, 2017
optional1:
why is Lagos Nigeria alwayz hosting this award?

Abeg na weytin concern RMD and sport biko.
becos globacom is the sponsor and a Nigerian own glo... I hope I answered it correctly. thank me lata if I did
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by daveP(m): 12:31am On Jan 06, 2017
Segadem:

abeg who dhey pursue u grin
...u turned CAF to Can and Iheanacho to I headache
grin
I dey drive then jare.... grin; grin

One hand style.
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by daveP(m): 12:47am On Jan 06, 2017
femi4:
silly excuse
not silly. Airlines's fault, cos the luggage is for both for both for both for both Afcon.

He must have dressed from Germany, but that won't be ideal since I wasn't a late flight. Lufthansa's fault.
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by robosky02(m): 3:47am On Jan 06, 2017
Riyad Mahrez crowned Africa's best player:

Algeria forward Riyad Mahrez was Thursday voted CAF African Footballer of the Year 2016 after he inspired Leicester City to do the impossible by winning the Premier League last season.

Mahrez,25, beat Gabon skipper Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who scooped the prestigious accolade last year, and Senegal star Sadio Mane, who features for Liverpool.

The France-born forward said it was an honour to be named the best African player for the past year.

“It’s a huge honour, I am happy and pleased. I thank all my teammates at Leicester and Algeria,” Mahrez said after he received the award.

“I dedicate this to my family and all those who support me every day.”

He polled 361 votes, Aubameyang earned 313 votes, while Mane was a distant third on 186 votes.

“What Mahrez achieved with Leicester City last season gave him the edge. He has now joined his other illustrious countrymen Lakhdar Belloumi and Rabah Madjer in this exclusive club,” remarked 1997 African Footballer of the Year Victor Ikpeba.

Leicester City caused a major shock when as 5,000-1 outsiders they went on to win the Premier League last season.

Mahrez played a key role in the stunning run of ‘The Foxes’ – 17 goals, 10 assists in 37 appearances.

He was the first Algerian to win a Premier League winners’ medal and spark a massive following back home in Algeria for the club, who he had first thought was a rugby club when he was contacted to join them four years ago.

All three players who made the short list for the African Footballer of the Year were also picked in CAF XI that also feature Ivory Coast defender Eric Bailly from Manchester United.

Goalkeeper Denis Onyango was picked for the African Player of the Year Based in Africa ahead of Mamelodi Sundowns teammate Khama Billiat and Zambia’s Rainford Kalaba.

Onyango was outstanding when seven-time South African champions Sundowns won an historic CAF Champions League and also when Uganda qualified for this year’s Africa Cup of Nations after a long absence.

Nigeria’s Asisat Oshoala grabbed her second African Women’s Player of the Year award on the back of her goals and five-star displays as Nigeria retained their continental crown in Cameroon.

The Arsenal Ladies star won her first when she also helped the Super Falcons emerge African champions in 2014.

Nigeria youngsters Kelechi Iheanacho and Alex Iwobi won the Most Promising Talent and Youth Player of the Year awards, respectively.

Gambian referee Bakary Papa Gassama won the Best Referee Award for the third straight year.

List of award winners:

AFRICAN PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Riyad Mahrez (Algeria & Leicester City)

AFRICAN PLAYER OF THE YEAR-BASED IN AFRICA

Denis Onyango (Uganda & Mamelodi Sundowns)

WOMEN’S PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Asisat Oshoala (Nigeria & Arsenal Ladies)

MOST PROMISING TALENT

Kelechi Iheanacho (Nigeria & Manchester City)

YOUTH PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Alex Iwobi

COACH OF THE YEAR

Pitso Mosimane (Mamelodi Sundowns)

CLUB OF THE YEAR

Mamelodi Sundowns

NATIONAL TEAM OF THE YEAR

Uganda

WOMEN’S NATIONAL TEAM OF THE YEAR

Nigeria

REFEREE OF THE YEAR

Bakary Papa Gassama

The CAF African XI for 2016

Goalkeeper: Denis Onyango (Uganda & Mamelodi Sundowns)

Defenders: Serge Aurier (Cote d’Ivoire & PSG), Aymen Abdenour (Tunisia & Valencia), Eric Bailly (Cote d’Ivoire & Manchester United), Joyce Lomalisa (DRC &AS Vita)

Midfielders: Khama Billiat (Zimbabwe & Mamelodi Sundowns), Rainford Kalaba (Zambia & TP Mazembe),Keegan Dolly (South Africa & Mamelodi Sundowns)

Forwards:Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Gabon & Borussia Dortmund), Sadio Mane (Senegal & Liverpool), Riyad Mahrez (Algeria & Leicester City)

Subs: Aymen Mathlouthi (Tunisia & Etoile du Sahel), Kalidou Koulibaly (Senegal & Napoli), Salif Coulibaly (Mali & TP Mazembe), Islam Slimani (Algeria & Leicester City), Mohamed Salah (Egypt & Roma), Kelechi Iheanacho (Nigeria & Manchester City), Alex Iwobi (Nigeria & Arsenal)
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by robosky02(m): 3:53am On Jan 06, 2017

Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by robosky02(m): 3:58am On Jan 06, 2017
no kidding but Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, outfit to the event show he know he has lost out ...since grin

Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by capphil: 4:26am On Jan 06, 2017
s
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by wristbangle: 4:40am On Jan 06, 2017
optional1:

Ok but why is Nigeria alwayz hosting it.

Becos glo is the major sponsor
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by aishmuhd(f): 6:31am On Jan 06, 2017
Whoever the CAP fit let him or she wear.. ..
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by Nnwannsukka(m): 7:19am On Jan 06, 2017
So the last time Nigeria won it was 1999 and so all this mikels and co no sabi at all
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by optional1(f): 7:24am On Jan 06, 2017
jayrock:

becos globacom is the sponsor and a Nigerian own glo... I hope I answered it correctly. thank me lata if I did

thank u, u right.

Happy New Year.
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by daveP(m): 1:27pm On Jan 06, 2017
wristbangle:

Becos glo is the major sponsor
Glo must arise to tap some sense abeg.

Can't they use style to 'colonize' another African mega city and spread the Glo network to that place?

Cost? That's not a problem.
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by Nostradamus: 2:26pm On Jan 06, 2017
femi4:
he was second in 1998 , abi wetin be the meaning of close
no vex baba,but second,that was how far he could go?itz well sha
Re: 2016 GLO-CAF Awards: Live Updates by Nostradamus: 2:29pm On Jan 06, 2017
tbaba1234:

Never came close? He was second runner -up to Mustafa Hadji in 1998.
second place??that one too dey o.k sha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

It Was A Clumsy Joke: Puyol Apologises Over Tweet On Casillas Gay 'stunt' / FIFA: Ahmed Musa Has 98 Official Caps, Not 100 / Griezmann Ranked 6th In Most Expensive Transfers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.