Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,457 members, 7,770,134 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:19 AM

Things That Benefit The Dead - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Things That Benefit The Dead (15319 Views)

Things That Make A Man Happy And Things That Make Him Miserable / Saying Rest In Peace For The Dead. / Things That Do NOT Break The Fast - Ramadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things That Benefit The Dead by azygus11: 10:51am On Jan 10, 2017

The Qur'an established two general principles concerning the reward and punishment for deeds:

Each human will fundamentally only be benefited or harmed by the deeds which he or she actually did.

" ... humans will only have the result of their own actions." [Al-Qur'an 53:39]

No human can carry the sin of another.

" ... no one bearing sins can carry the sins of others." [Al-Qur'an 53:38]

Consequently, when a person dies, the opportunity for that person to do good ends with the person's death. However, the chance to harvest good from deeds which were done prior to death remains.

Du'a (Supplication)

The prayers of other Muslims on behalf of the dead will benefit the dead, by the permission of God. Had they done no good, no one would consider praying for them. If they were evil, the prayers of others will not benefit them. Allah praises the believers who pray for those who have passed away before their time:

"And those who came after them say: Our Lord, forgive us and our brothers who preceded us in faith, and do not put in our hearts any hatred against the believers. Our Lord, You are indeed full of kindness, Most Merciful." [Al-Qur'an 59:10]

Furthermore, the funeral prayer itself consists mostly of prayers for the dead.

Safwan [the narrator mentioned that Safwan ibn 'Abdillah ibn Safwan was married to ad-Darda] said, "I visited Abud-Darda's home in Syria, but did not find him there. Ummud-Darda asked [me], 'Are you going to make Hajj this year?' I said: 'Yes.' She said, 'Pray to Allah for good for us, for the Prophet, upon whom be peace, said:

"The prayer of Muslim for his Muslim brother in his absence will be answered. As long as he prays for the good of his brother, there is an angel assigned near his head who says: amen, and may the same be for you." '

I left and went to the marketplace where I met Abud-Darda and he related from the Prophet, peace be upon him, the same as that." [Sahih Muslim, vol. 4, p. 1429, no. 6590]

Fasting

Fasts missed by dead persons may be done on their behalf by their close relatives. The fasts may be from Ramadhan or from oaths (nathar). 'A'ishah quoted Allah's Messenger, peace be upon him, as saying:

"Whoever died owing fasts, his guardian should fast on his behalf." [Sahih al-Bukhari, vol. 3, p. 99, no. 173, and Sahih Muslim, vol. 2, p. 556, no. 2553]

Ibn 'Abbas related that a man came to the Prophet, upon whom be peace, and asked: O Messenger of Allah, my mother died owing one month of fasting. Should I do it for her? He replied:

"Yes, debts to Allah, have more right to be paid." [Sahih al-Bukhari, vol. 3, p. 99, no. 174, and Sahih Muslim, vol. 2, p. 556, no. 2554]

In another narration a woman asked about her mother’s debt of fasting and got the same reply. [Sahih Muslim, vol. 2, pp. 556-7, nos. 2554, 2557-61]

Paying Financial Debts

Anyone may cover the debts of a dead person, whether they are relatives or not. Furthermore, the payment of outstanding debts can benefit the dead by relieving them from some of the punishment due to them for their negligence in repaying them.

Jabir narrated that a man died and they washed him, perfumed him and shrouded him. Then he was brought to Allah's Messenger, peace be upon him, to lead the funeral prayer for him. They asked, "Could you pray for him?" He took a step forward then asked:

"Does he have any outstanding debts?"

It was answered: "Two dinar."

He said:

"Make the funeral prayer for your companion," and began to leave.

Abu Qatadah took responsibility for [paying] the debt, saying, "The two dinar are my responsibility." Allah's Messenger, peace be upon him, asked:

"Will the creditor be taken care of and will the dead person be absolved from them?"

He replied, "Yes," so the Prophet, upon whom be peace, led the funeral prayer for him. A day later he asked Abu Qatadah:

"What was done about the two dinar?"

He replied, "He only died yesterday!" The following day he returned to the Prophet and said, "I have paid them off." The Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, said:

"Now his skin has become cool." [Musnad Ahmad, vol. 3, p. 330; authenticated in Ahkamul-Jana'iz, p. 16]

The Charity of Children

Parents will benefit from whatever righteous deeds their children do, without decreasing the reward of their children's good deeds. A righteous child is considered to be part of the parent's earnings.

'Umarah ibn 'Umayr's aunt asked 'A'ishah, "I have an orphan under my guardianship. May I consume some of his wealth?" She replied that she had heard Allah's Messenger, peace be upon him, say:

"Among the most pleasant things a man consumes is what comes from his own earnings, and his child is from his earnings." [Sunan Abu Dawud, vol. 2, p. 1002, no. 3521; authenticated in Sahih Sunan Abi Dawud, vol. 2, p. 674, no. 3013]

'A'ishah related that a man asked the Prophet: My mother died suddenly, and I think that if she had spoken [before dying], she would have given something in charity. If I give charity on her behalf, will she get the reward? He replied:

"Yes." [Sahih al-Bukhari, vol. 2, p. 266, no. 470, Sahih Muslim, vol. 3, p. 866, no. 4002, and Sunan Abu Dawud, vol. 2., p. 812, no. 2875]

Abu Hurayrah quoted the Messenger of Allah, upon whom be peace, as saying:

"When a man dies, his acts come to an end, except in three cases: an ongoing charity, knowledge from which people continue to benefit, and a righteous child who prays for him." [Sahih Muslim, vol. 3, p. 867, no. 4005, and Sunan Abu Dawud, vol. 2, p. 812, no. 2874]

May Allah reward the author

Read more beautiful articles in: www.knowledgeofmydeen.bolgspot.com

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things That Benefit The Dead by stockbear: 12:26pm On Jan 13, 2017
Have you died before..How do you know things that benefit the dead...smh

1 Like

Re: Things That Benefit The Dead by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jan 13, 2017
op kindly expatiate on the last point ie "ongoing charity"
Re: Things That Benefit The Dead by Mustapha111888(m): 12:31pm On Jan 13, 2017
IbrahimEazi:
Jazakallah Khair
Re: Things That Benefit The Dead by Salex007(m): 12:31pm On Jan 13, 2017
Asalamualaikum OP !!! But i was told that if a muslim kills another person that all the sins of that person killed would be transfered to the killer...
Re: Things That Benefit The Dead by hismerhill(m): 12:40pm On Jan 13, 2017
Very insightful thanks OP baraka lahu fihi
Re: Things That Benefit The Dead by KayodeAjani: 12:42pm On Jan 13, 2017
I disbelive pls convince me.how will prayer of the saints or my fellow muslims safe a dead being in AlJonah?
Re: Things That Benefit The Dead by bash4us(m): 12:42pm On Jan 13, 2017
May Allah (SWT) forgive our dead and make our ending too easy and to His favour. ameen

1 Like

Re: Things That Benefit The Dead by goingape: 12:48pm On Jan 13, 2017
have you been dead before? undecided or have you gone to the place of the dead?
how did you know those things will benefit the dead?
Re: Things That Benefit The Dead by arma: 12:53pm On Jan 13, 2017
Jazaakallaahu khayr

1 Like

Re: Things That Benefit The Dead by bash4us(m): 1:19pm On Jan 13, 2017
goingape:
have you been dead before? undecided
or have you gone to the place of the dead?

how did you know those things will benefit the dead?

I wanted saying something but your DP said it all

1 Like

Re: Things That Benefit The Dead by crowther15(m): 1:24pm On Jan 13, 2017
This post will only makes pple to continue their evil deeds knowing that some pple will pray for them after dealth. if u ar dead there is no repentance in burial ground. u beta accept jesus and start living right. no prayer can change ur destiny after dealth.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things That Benefit The Dead by goingape: 1:29pm On Jan 13, 2017
bash4us:

I wanted saying something but your DP said it all
so in other words to benefit from the dead it to kill the living!

no wonder your good book always talk on benefit of jihad

3 Likes

Re: Things That Benefit The Dead by Bsmartt(m): 1:33pm On Jan 13, 2017
Jazakumullah khairan. For the people asking if the OP has died before. The OP explained to us according to the Quran and the Hadith the holy prophet Muhammad (PBUH). I true Muslim will understand this wonderful piece. May Allah(SWT) increase the OP in knowledge as well as the Muslim Ummah. Aamin

2 Likes

Re: Things That Benefit The Dead by olaztek(m): 4:17pm On Jan 13, 2017
crowther15:
This post will only makes pple to continue their evil deeds knowing that some pple will pray for them after dealth. if u ar dead there is no repentance in burial ground. u beta accept jesus and start living right. no prayer can change ur destiny after dealth.
dat's d benefit of being a muslim. A muslim who believe in the oneness of Allah, follows the Prophet's path & died as a muslim has the opportunity of his sins being forgiven.D only sin dat cannot b forgiven is d worship of somtin/someone else with Allah.

4 Likes

Re: Things That Benefit The Dead by adedehinbo(m): 11:04pm On Jan 13, 2017
olaztek:

dat's d benefit of being a muslim. A muslim who believe in the oneness of Allah, follows the Prophet's path & died as a muslim has the opportunity of his sins being forgiven.D only sin dat cannot b forgiven is d worship of somtin/someone else with Allah.
that's shirk

1 Like

Re: Things That Benefit The Dead by Kazrem(m): 11:33pm On Jan 13, 2017
Jazaakumullah
Re: Things That Benefit The Dead by oomar69: 11:37pm On Jan 13, 2017
Allahu Akbar... Victory to the Muslims Insha Allahu
Re: Things That Benefit The Dead by dantori(m): 12:15am On Jan 15, 2017
stockbear:
Have you died before..How do you know things that benefit the dead...smh

kindly go through the videos on www.acadip.net

(1) (Reply)

Hajj 1997: The Great Fire In Minna / How Do We Allocate Inheritance To A Hermaphrodite? / 10 Signs Of Good Manners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.