Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,271 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:35 PM

How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? (14588 Views)

Ladies Breastfeeding Baby In Public. Right Or Wrong? / Man Pictured Breastfeeding His Newborn Baby. Is This Healthy? / "My Husband Smells My Panties Anytime I Come Back From A Journey" — Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by airminem(f): 11:39am On Jan 11, 2017
I found it excruciatingly painful to breastfeed my baby even though they told me I was doing everything right and my baby was latching on correctly. After a few weeks of crying more than my baby, I finally switched to formula. But now I'm consumed with guilt. Everywhere I look, even on formula packages, breastfeeding is touted as best.
Have i made peace with my decision?
Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by Abiagirl777(f): 11:49am On Jan 11, 2017
our experiences forces us to make certain decisions .breastfeeding is the best if only you can do it and your body allows you to do it.
really had it painful with my first so much that each time he cried for food i cried too of the pains,finally i went to hospital and was given injections,also told to keep putting the whole areola into his mouth gradually it healed.my case was worse because my son would never suck frm morning till nightime/food time because of thumbsucking,my breasts were always engorged .
nobody can judge you cos of it,na yoiu get breast, na you get baby,na you still get money to buy formulae.

12 Likes

Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by thorpido(m): 12:12pm On Jan 11, 2017
What really is the problem with the breas.tfeeding?Why is sucking so painful?
You need to find a solution to that first or maybe extract as an option.
Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by thorpido(m): 12:18pm On Jan 11, 2017
Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by preciousan(f): 1:52pm On Jan 11, 2017
how old is your baby? is this your first baby? of course there's a point during brestfeeding you can have sore nipples,just endure,it's one of the pains and joy of motherhood. you can use blue seal vasline on the sore nipple. kpele! you'll get through it.
airminem:
I found it excruciatingly painful to breastfeed my baby even though they told me I was doing everything right and my baby was latching on correctly. After a few weeks of crying more than my baby, I finally switched to formula. But now I'm consumed with guilt. Everywhere I look, even on formula packages, breastfeeding is touted as best.

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by eyinjuege: 2:15pm On Jan 11, 2017
Get an electric breast pump and use to express milk. You can always express in a bottle and give the baby.

14 Likes

Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jan 11, 2017
airminem:

Bfeeding is always very painful at the beginning. Some women (like me) suffer severely bruised nipples which even bleed sometimes, but the key here is perseverance. Eventually the pain wears off and the bruising stops and you no longer feel the way you used to.

I know it's tempting to give up at the beginning, but if you really want to breastfeed your infant you need to steel yourself against that initial pain.

How old is you LO now and how long did you endure the pain before deciding to give up? Maybe yours is am extreme case though. But 2 weeks is enough time.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jan 11, 2017
thorpido:

I think it's actually normal and most women experience it. You don't get sucked on relentlessly for days without bruising. undecided

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by Abiagirl777(f): 2:59pm On Jan 11, 2017
thorpido:

most mothers experience it but won't complain because ''they r supposed to bear it",its as a result of dry/cracked nipples.the pain is nerve racking.
in ANC we were taugt to clean it with warm water and cotton wool everyday and apply oil it later so it becomes soft to withstand any forthcoming pressure.

4 Likes

Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by inemani: 4:48pm On Jan 11, 2017
I feel you my sister. The mere thought of breastfeeding your baby during these painful moments can eliminate whatever joys of motherhood you were enjoying initially. You can use breast pump(even that is painful), but I wouldn't advise discontinue of breastfeeding. After each feeding session use Blue Seal Vaseline on the tips, be sure to wipe clean when baby calls. You should be healed before two weeks. Sorry uyeah?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by thorpido(m): 4:56pm On Jan 11, 2017
Abiagirl777:

most mothers experience it but won't complain because ''they r supposed to bear it",its as a result of dry/cracked nipples.the pain is nerve racking.
in ANC we were taugt to clean it with warm water and cotton wool everyday and apply oil it later so it becomes soft to withstand any forthcoming pressure.
Ujoan:

I think it's actually normal and most women experience it. You don't get bucked on relentlessly for days without bruising. undecided
Op,seems you're giving up too early.You need to steel yourself and follow the tips given by these mothers.
Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by pocohantas(f): 5:46pm On Jan 11, 2017
One week one trouble.
The other time, you were complaining your man doesn't suck you boobs...now baby is sucking it, you're complaining of bruises.
Considering that you said your baby was biting your nipples, this should be a relief.

The baby is 8mths+ , some mothers don't go that far. I pray I have the patience to go this far. Rub vaseline on it, heard it helps.

Being a good mum transcends beyond breastfeeding, don't feel bad.

4 Likes

Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 11, 2017
is breast pump an option
These are the things that scare me about childbirth.
Joys of motherhood indeed!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by blank(f): 8:43am On Jan 12, 2017
Oh, you reached 8months, you have tried. You can take a bow. However, if you are not constrained by work, express and put in a bottle for him.

I remember the first week of breastfeeding, I cried every time until it finally healed. Now, I am the one begging him to suck because I have so much milk to give.

Breastfeeding is overrated. But breast milk is not. Use a pump that you can manage the pressure and express for him. It's time consuming but it will reduce the feelings of inadequacy.

5 Likes

Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by sisisioge: 10:27am On Jan 12, 2017
You have tried. E don do. Baby is quite old enough to eat other things by far, some babies didn't even get breastfeed at all. Enjoy.
Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by airminem(f): 11:22am On Jan 12, 2017
sisisioge:
You have tried. E don do. Baby is quite old enough to eat other things by far, some babies didn't even get breastfeed at all. Enjoy.
Yes oo
Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by airminem(f): 11:27am On Jan 12, 2017
blank:
Oh, you reached 8months, you have tried. You can take a bow. However, if you are not constrained by work, express and put in a bottle for him.

I remember the first week of breastfeeding, I cried every time until it finally healed. Now, I am the one begging him to suck because I have so much milk to give.

Breastfeeding is overrated. But breast milk is not. Use a pump that you can manage the pressure and express for him. It's time consuming but it will reduce the feelings of inadequacy.
Thanks
Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by destiny4life: 10:11am On Jan 23, 2017
Get a home tutor for your kids. Contact me on 07033283584
Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by Olufemiolaolu(m): 11:09pm On Jan 28, 2017
airminem:
How old is ur baby?

Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by ademoladeji(m): 11:46pm On Jan 29, 2017
Abiagirl777:
our experiences forces us to make certain decisions .breastfeeding is the best if only you can do it and your body allows you to do it.
really had it painful with my first so much that each time he cried for food i cried too of the pains,finally i went to hospital and was given injections,also told to keep putting the whole areola into his mouth gradually it healed.my case was worse because my son would never suck frm morning till nightime/food time because of thumbsucking,my breasts were always engorged .
nobody can judge you cos of it,na yoiu get breast, na you get baby,na you still get money to buy formulae.

Na wa ooooooo
Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by ademoladeji(m): 11:50pm On Jan 29, 2017
blank:

Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by mostyg(m): 12:41am On Jan 30, 2017
Your husband should have been of help. Sucking shouldn't be for sexual pleasure only. He should help you to open it up for the milk to come out seasily for your baby.
Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by Abiagirl777(f): 8:12am On Jan 30, 2017
mostyg:
Your husband should have been of help. Sucking shouldn't be for sexual pleasure only. He should help you to open it up for the milk to come out seasily for your baby.

lol,really,unopened tips isn't the problem,an inexperienced tiny mouth not latching properly to the aereola is ?breastducts don't work like a tap,if you don't suck it properly,it blocks in the breast which is painful.
childbirth is better experienced than told,Joys of motherhood indeed.
Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by airminem(f): 3:51pm On Jan 31, 2017
Abiagirl777:

lol,really,unopened tips isn't the problem,an inexperienced tiny mouth not latching properly to the aereola is ?breastducts don't work like a tap,if you don't suck it properly,it blocks in the breast which is painful.
childbirth is better experienced than told,Joys of motherhood indeed.

Appreciate.
Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by lonelydora: 4:18pm On Jan 31, 2017
Breastfeeding of first issues is always a problem for some women. Some women even say it turns them 'on' whenever their baby breastfeeds

I remembered how my wife always cry whenever she breastfeeds our first son. I will be singing "Sorry" like a hymn until she finishes.

Just keep trying, the baby will latch properly to the tip later.

Joy of parenthood shaa.

4 Likes

Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jan 31, 2017
Feminists on the other thread who attacked me for promoting exclusive breastfeeding, y'all don't know wosup, you really don't. Perhaps you think the breasts are just decorative body parts only meant for sexual pleasure.
@op, visit the nearest hospital and talk to your doctor. Your case isn't without a solution.
Follow your gut feel, breastfeeding is indeed the way to go.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by LecciGucci: 4:19pm On Jan 31, 2017
Hm! Madam ooooo.. is ur baby a boy if yes abeg allow dat little man enjoy ooh.

Else ur boy will start jumping from one borbi to another befor he reach 18 grin inorder to recover everthin he missed.. U know say we like dat thin tongue...Hey heeeeeh heh!.. i don talk am oooh

To be fore warned is to be fore armed

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by onyeezeigbo: 4:21pm On Jan 31, 2017
Join me and say this prayer, every Nigeria that is wishing our president death it is their president that will die in Jesus... Amen

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by olapluto(m): 4:21pm On Jan 31, 2017
Islamically, you should breastfeed for 2 years. Keep trying, even though your child is taking formula. It helps. Nothing stops your baby taking formula and breast milk, even if 5% of your baby's food is breast milk, then it is something.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by evansjeff(m): 4:22pm On Jan 31, 2017
Just here to read comments and learn

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by iamawara(m): 4:25pm On Jan 31, 2017
Your village people are at it again. Why can't dey leave u at peace? That's not proper,..... Abi u no wan make them fall yakata after feeding?
Re: How Can I Come To Terms With My Guilty Feelings About Quitting Breastfeeding? by Virginkpekus(f): 4:25pm On Jan 31, 2017
olapluto:
Islamically, you should breastfeed for 2 years. Keep trying, even though your child is taking formula. It helps. Nothing stops your baby taking formula and breast milk, even if 5% of your baby's food is breast milk, then it is something.
Did she state to you that she is a Muslim? Na wa o

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are you feeling angry right now? Let-off steam here! / Single Parenting: My Success Story / 5 Movies You Shouldn't Allow Your Children Watch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.