Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,755 members, 7,820,618 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:20 PM

The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks (40971 Views)

Sabon Gari Market In Kano, Before And After Lockdown / I Visited A Crowded Lagos Market In Ogba (Photos, Video) / Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by supereagle(m): 9:02pm On Jan 12, 2017
I just keep the links in email for future reference. Virus can't attack it there, no one will steal it from me there.
Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by Aliyu333: 9:19pm On Jan 12, 2017
yom2:
she is not, d south was robbed of those states
robbed? And how far is the closest southern state to Benue?? It is base on geopolitical zone incase u forgot geography nd not language or how they look like.
Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by yom2(m): 9:28pm On Jan 12, 2017
Aliyu333:
robbed? And how far is the closest southern state to Benue?? It is base on geopolitical zone incase u forgot geography nd not language or how they look like.
enugu villages shares proximity with idoma villages, d same hapens in kogi igala,yoruba okun and edo,ondo and delta. Likewise kwara and neighbouring southern states
Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by robosky02(m): 9:31pm On Jan 12, 2017
wow mamy joint ehhhh grin
Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by Teacher1776(m): 9:51pm On Jan 12, 2017
Thanks for this wonderful story.
Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by Souljaboi1: 9:52pm On Jan 12, 2017
baaayloe:
What is now known as "Mammy Market" in all barracks nationwide, came to be as a result of the industry of Mrs Anthony Ochefu. Thanks to an Idoma local brew called "enyi". Now, nobody remembers to recognise this history maker and accord the honour due to her.

Soon, other women in the barracks became inspired by her industrious nature and tapped into her industry and started selling other items like burukutu, pito, palm wine, kain-kain and other alcoholic beverages in addition to peppersoup and other delights for the relaxation of the rant and file in the evenings when they close from work and they are permitted to drink alcoholic beverages.

Former Comdt

Culled from Sunday Akoji wall

Na so angry
Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by Souljaboi1: 9:55pm On Jan 12, 2017
baaayloe:
What is now known as "Mammy Market" in all barracks nationwide, came to be as a result of the industry of Mrs Anthony Ochefu. Thanks to an Idoma local brew called "enyi". Now, nobody remembers to recognise this history maker and accord the honour due to her.

Soon, other women in the barracks became inspired by her industrious nature and tapped into her industry and started selling other items like burukutu, pito, palm wine, kain-kain and other alcoholic beverages in addition to peppersoup and other delights for the relaxation of the rant and file in the evenings when they close from work and they are permitted to drink alcoholic beverages.

Former Comdt

Na so angry

No wonder most Mammy and Alcohol na like ....

Who can help me with UncleZuma pic.
Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by StoneColdBiceps(m): 10:02pm On Jan 12, 2017
baaayloe:

In 1959, Mammy Ode, a young girl from Jericho-Ugboju in the present Otukpo Local Government Area of Benue State was married to Anthony Aboki Ochefu, a young Non-Commissioned military officer who had just been posted to Enugu from Abeokuta. They were quartered at the Army Barracks, Abakpa, Enugu. To beat idleness and perhaps earn some money to support her young family, Mrs. Mammy Ochefu established a business of selling soft drinks. She also prepared gruel, which is popularly called 'Umu or enyi' in Idoma, or kunu in Hausa, for sale to the soldiers in the barrack to help quench their thirst and energise them.

She soon became popular with selling "umu" as soldiers trooped to her house to buy the local brew made from guinea corn. Some of her customers were officers, who always send their batmen to buy the gruel for them, Monday through Friday and even during the weekend when they are not working.

Somehow, one of the Non-Commissioned Officers, the RSM, did not flow with the enthusiasm, which Mammy’s gruel generated among other military men in the barracks. He complained that the stuff was attracting flies into the barracks and ordered Mrs. Mammy Ochefu to stop its production and sale.

Though disappointed at the order of the RSM, she stopped the production and sale of "umu" in the barrack. For weeks, Mrs. Mammy Ochefu agonized over the fate of her business, just as officers and men of the Nigerian Army who enjoyed her brew because of its freshness and nutritional value lamented over the situation.

From several quarters, pressure mounted on the RSM for a reversal of the order. After a while, he succumbed to and directed that a section of the barrack be reserved for Mrs. Mammy Ochefu to produce and sell her "umu".

Her joy knew no bound few days after a section of the barracks was allocated to her for the purpose of selling the Idoma local brew within the barrack. She built a small stall for her business and soon, her business began to boom. Most of her customers booked far in advance for the quantity of "umu" they want to buy. Before noon, she would have finished selling the available "umu" for the day.

It was not long before that portion of the barracks became known as Mammy Market. It also became a policy to establish markets inside or near military barracks in the country, initially for the exclusive use of officers and men of the rank and file.

Today, no visit to Abuja, the Federal Capital City, is complete without a taste of fresh fish in one of the Mammy Markets, especially the one attached to Abacha Barrack. Similar markets attached to paramilitary barracks are also called Mammy Markets.

After General Yakubu Gowon was overthrown in a Military putsch, Anthony Aboki Ochefu, then a Colonel, was posted to East Central State as Military Governor. So Mrs. Mammy Ochefu and her husband returned to Enugu as the First Family. As First Lady Mammy Ochefu visits the site where Mammy Market started about sixteen years earlier.

It must also be stressed too that in retirement, Colonel Anthony Aboki Ochefu and his wife incorporated a company called Mammy Markets, which was into haulage and trading.

Mrs. Mammy Ochefu is alive and lives at Otukpo as one of the prized legends of our time.

Source: Major General Kaleosho (Rtd),

Former Comdt

@Op you dont know what you have just done for me! You just solved a curiousity that i have lived with me since i was a child living in Dodan Barracks Obalende.

I'm so proud to know that this mystry originated from my roots, Idoma! Wow! No wonder i always see one "mammy market" business place at Ahmadu Bello road opposite Omateyi night market. I understand late Col. Ochefu has a business therer, wow!

Had i seen these post earlier in december when i traveled for the holiday to Otukpo i would have payed her a visit and be fulfilled, history making. smiley

Thanx mods for pushing this post to the front page.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jan 12, 2017
sugardad1:
Idoma Oladam! The taste of that liquid is wao!
Okpani nma ine.Hope you r fine
Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by amerimex(m): 10:32pm On Jan 12, 2017
This op self, your head dey dr. Nice article, inspiring story. All hail d sme legend, God bless d idoma race. Wshing mrs mammy more celebrated years in good health.
Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by Dbrainiac1(m): 11:04pm On Jan 12, 2017
grin

Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by Revolva(m): 11:21pm On Jan 12, 2017
ummm now i have learnt something
Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by Sheguama: 11:30pm On Jan 12, 2017
kllinxman:
Who else knew about this ?

Didn't know about it. But I know the writer of the story. Bolaji Koleosho Maj. Gen Rtd.
Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by ogwucheveekee(f): 11:58pm On Jan 12, 2017
shes not a northerner chairman.
Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by Soljaboi44(m): 2:20am On Jan 13, 2017
81 mammy, Sudan in New barracks mammy and NDA Mammy... Na we getam!

Smellymouth can testify cool
abi i lie?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by xtremeTall(m): 6:17am On Jan 13, 2017
Wow....so dis woman pioneer my drinking of 'kunu' whenever i visits barracks as an applicant,every applicant benefit of your creative idea. U quench our thirst whenever soldier leave us to our faith under the intense heat of the SUN...stay blessed ma.
Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by wink2015(m): 6:34am On Jan 13, 2017
To we bloody civilian like myself ( that is what the nigerian force people ( army,navy,airforce,police,nigerian civil defence,custom immigration etc ) that is the insultive name military people use to describe us in Nigeria.

As a fresh graduate from my school, I want to say I first heard of the word "mammy market" during my nysc days in the Nysc camp when I was posted to the far north. Mammy market was attach to our Nysc camp site.

This is where all nysc camper buy what they need for the during the one month orientation training. Corpers are not allowed to leave the camp during the physical training period.

It was fun during those days during the training but was very stressful.

Conclusively, from what I learnt the military that championed the Nysc program in Nigeria also carried along the mammy market culture to the NYSC programme.
Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by jantavanta(m): 6:38am On Jan 13, 2017
We should make a drama film on this. We have so much to learn about our military history.

https://www.businessdayonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/76-m0vie-464x390.jpg
Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by Nobody: 6:39am On Jan 13, 2017
Souljaboi1:

Na so angry

No wonder most Mammy and Alcohol na like ....

Who can help me with UncleZuma pic.

Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by tk4rd: 7:08am On Jan 13, 2017
That means,, this woman followed all of us to our various NYSC Camps....
Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by calyto: 8:30am On Jan 13, 2017
Credits to Nats Onoja Agbo

baaayloe:

In 1959, Mammy Ode, a young girl from Jericho-Ugboju in the present Otukpo Local Government Area of Benue State was married to Anthony Aboki Ochefu, a young Non-Commissioned military officer who had just been posted to Enugu from Abeokuta. They were quartered at the Army Barracks, Abakpa, Enugu. To beat idleness and perhaps earn some money to support her young family, Mrs. Mammy Ochefu established a business of selling soft drinks. She also prepared gruel, which is popularly called 'Umu or enyi' in Idoma, or kunu in Hausa, for sale to the soldiers in the barrack to help quench their thirst and energise them.

She soon became popular with selling "umu" as soldiers trooped to her house to buy the local brew made from guinea corn. Some of her customers were officers, who always send their batmen to buy the gruel for them, Monday through Friday and even during the weekend when they are not working.

Somehow, one of the Non-Commissioned Officers, the RSM, did not flow with the enthusiasm, which Mammy’s gruel generated among other military men in the barracks. He complained that the stuff was attracting flies into the barracks and ordered Mrs. Mammy Ochefu to stop its production and sale.

Though disappointed at the order of the RSM, she stopped the production and sale of "umu" in the barrack. For weeks, Mrs. Mammy Ochefu agonized over the fate of her business, just as officers and men of the Nigerian Army who enjoyed her brew because of its freshness and nutritional value lamented over the situation.

From several quarters, pressure mounted on the RSM for a reversal of the order. After a while, he succumbed to and directed that a section of the barrack be reserved for Mrs. Mammy Ochefu to produce and sell her "umu".

Her joy knew no bound few days after a section of the barracks was allocated to her for the purpose of selling the Idoma local brew within the barrack. She built a small stall for her business and soon, her business began to boom. Most of her customers booked far in advance for the quantity of "umu" they want to buy. Before noon, she would have finished selling the available "umu" for the day.

It was not long before that portion of the barracks became known as Mammy Market. It also became a policy to establish markets inside or near military barracks in the country, initially for the exclusive use of officers and men of the rank and file.

Today, no visit to Abuja, the Federal Capital City, is complete without a taste of fresh fish in one of the Mammy Markets, especially the one attached to Abacha Barrack. Similar markets attached to paramilitary barracks are also called Mammy Markets.

After General Yakubu Gowon was overthrown in a Military putsch, Anthony Aboki Ochefu, then a Colonel, was posted to East Central State as Military Governor. So Mrs. Mammy Ochefu and her husband returned to Enugu as the First Family. As First Lady Mammy Ochefu visits the site where Mammy Market started about sixteen years earlier.

It must also be stressed too that in retirement, Colonel Anthony Aboki Ochefu and his wife incorporated a company called Mammy Markets, which was into haulage and trading.

Mrs. Mammy Ochefu is alive and lives at Otukpo as one of the prized legends of our time.

Source: Major General Kaleosho (Rtd),

Former Comdt

Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by aeronot(m): 10:58am On Jan 13, 2017
iDOMA'S are yery good with inventions in relation to alcoholic beverages grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by NAVYdogg: 11:11am On Jan 13, 2017
Reading this thread with a plate of patey + kunu in front of me here in Mogadishu cantonment (Abacha barracks) mammy market. After this will be heading to container 70 for some bottle of HERO grin
Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by Smellingmouth: 2:03pm On Jan 13, 2017
Soljaboi44:
81 mammy, Sudan in New barracks mammy and NDA Mammy... Na we getam!

Smellymouth can testify cool
abi i lie?

Yessah!!!

Life of a Barrack kid.. grin

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by monlawal(m): 11:47pm On Jan 13, 2017
StoneColdBiceps:

@Op you dont know what you have just done for me! You just solved a curiousity that i have lived with me since i was a child living in Dodan Barracks Obalende.

I'm so proud to know that this mystry originated from my roots, Idoma! Wow! No wonder i always see one "mammy market" business place at Ahmadu Bello road opposite Omateyi night market. I understand late Col. Ochefu has a business therer, wow!

Had i seen these post earlier in december when i traveled for the holiday to Otukpo i would have payed her a visit and be fulfilled, history making. smiley

Thanx mods for pushing this post to the front page.

Please can you sacrifice a little of your time and go get us some current pictures and videos of this woman giving us a narrative of how it all started. Do it for nairaland and curious Nigerians like me
Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by StoneColdBiceps(m): 2:02pm On Jan 14, 2017
monlawal:

Please can you sacrifice a little of your time and go get us some current pictures and videos of this woman giving us a narrative of how it all started. Do it for nairaland and curious Nigerians like me

Would really loved to do that bro, unfortunately iv left Otukpo after going for the holiday. I base in Lagos. God willing when next i travel will make sure i visit her and televise the history.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by StoneColdBiceps(m): 2:07pm On Jan 14, 2017
VanLucius:
Okpani nma ine.Hope you r fine

Oyi, abole!
Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by monlawal(m): 11:26pm On Jan 14, 2017
StoneColdBiceps:

Would really loved to do that bro, unfortunately iv left Otukpo after going for the holiday. I base in Lagos. God willing when next i travel will make sure i visit her and televise the history.
no wahala. May God keep her alive
Re: The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks by AlexI1: 9:55pm On Jan 29, 2017
Please credit should be given to the real author of this article...Nats Agbo

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi / Ghanaians On The Streets Of Port Harcourt Dancing And Selling Adonko Bitters / SEC Disowns MBA FOREX Investment, Calls It A Ponzi Scheme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.