Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,214 members, 7,953,777 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:03 AM

Gambia: Yaya Jammeh Vows Not To Quit - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Gambia: Yaya Jammeh Vows Not To Quit (856 Views)

"Photos Of Luxury Vehicles Acquired By Jammeh In His Final Days" / Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case / Gambians Leaving Their Country Over Imminent War As Jammeh Refuses To Step Down (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gambia: Yaya Jammeh Vows Not To Quit by josephine123: 12:20am On Jan 13, 2017
[img]http://4.bp..com/-XdNOfvJe2Rg/WHgKN5LG5kI/AAAAAAAAXkI/fadZHn1FdKcAJS4BJkNatWsybaPp3GGJQCLcB/s640/Yahya-Jammeh-e1482056752469-1.jpg[/img]

Ahead of President Muhammadu Buhari’s mediatory visit to The Gambia on Friday, President Yahya Jammeh on Thursday defiantly reiterated his stand that he would not step down when his mandate ends next Wednesday....

The information ministry said in a statement read on national television that Jammeh was planning to remain in office until the Supreme Court decides on a petition he filed.

Jammeh is challenging the result of the Dec. 1 presidential election he lost to Adama Barrow.

Barrow, a former real estate agent who was little known before he announced his candidacy, meanwhile has also reiterated he is planning to take office on Jan. 19, as scheduled.

Earlier this week, Gambia’s dysfunctional Supreme Court adjourned hearing Jammeh’s petition till Monday, since only one of a required minimum of five judges were present.

Experts however believe it will be highly unlikely that four additional judges will be present on Monday.

This is because the Supreme Court has not been operational since Jammeh fired several of the court’s judges in mid-2016.

All other eligible Court of Appeal judges left the country after the December election.

Observers fear that delays to the planned handover of power could lead to violence as Gambia has been in a political lockdown since Jammeh refused to accept the result.

Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari, will lead some of his ECOWAS counterparts to Banjul Friday to convince Jammeh to respect the constitution and hand over the presidency.

The visit was initially scheduled for Wednesday, but Jammeh asked for the shift till Friday.

cc lalasticlala seun

SOURCE: http://www.nairanaijanews.com/2017/01/gambia-yaya-jammeh-vows-not-to-quit.html
Re: Gambia: Yaya Jammeh Vows Not To Quit by josephine123: 12:21am On Jan 13, 2017
Hmmmm.... too bad .. after 22yrs
Re: Gambia: Yaya Jammeh Vows Not To Quit by ManTiger(m): 12:34am On Jan 13, 2017
The name Laurent Gbagbo came to my mind.

1 Like

Re: Gambia: Yaya Jammeh Vows Not To Quit by Qmerit(m): 1:05am On Jan 13, 2017
Some so called leaders in Africa never learn.
Sorry would be his case soon. After 22yrs you still want to remain there when it is not king-ship!
Re: Gambia: Yaya Jammeh Vows Not To Quit by Nobody: 1:07am On Jan 13, 2017
I knew this guy wouldn't willingly relinquish power when he congratulated his opponent after election. Now that Trump doesn't give a fvck about what happens in other countries, he may wage ecomog war for a long time. We will see.
Re: Gambia: Yaya Jammeh Vows Not To Quit by mykeljosef: 1:18am On Jan 13, 2017
vows not to quit

operation roasted water from naija is coming for you

omo ale jatijati

power drunk foôl. ..you are not even in charge of as many people as oba of Lagos n u r claiming boss
Re: Gambia: Yaya Jammeh Vows Not To Quit by Blue3k(m): 1:21am On Jan 13, 2017
This guy a despotic low life. I still wouldnt agree to waste millitary resources irrelevant to Gambia. Let their system handle this. Supreme Court should take care of this or their National Assembly shold impeach him.

I feel ECOWAS has clear economic sway on them with simple sanctions. Ban his country from ecowas. If he turns into secruity threat tale him out. If he ends up causing civil war.

SirJeffry:
Now that Trump doesn't give a fvck about what happens in other countries, he may wage ecomog war for a long time. We will see.

I'm glad he doesnt why waste money and time on Gambia. Nobodies in terms of international politics and economics.

Re: Gambia: Yaya Jammeh Vows Not To Quit by Litmus: 2:01am On Jan 13, 2017
Nigeria should let Senegal handle this one. Or sit back for a while and watch as things develop. Intervening in Siera Leon and Liberia possibly plaid a part in the intensity and cost of our current battle with Bokoharam. Realpolitik is a two-mouthed creature. The very international powers that publicly proclaim their support for peace and stability in various regions of the world are the same ones that secretly benefit from those insecurities. In Liberia and Sierra Leon, Nigeria came of age as a stumbling block against money making and beneficial political instabilities in the region. Note how the Sudanese sat up and were all a flutter at the mention of Nigeria by the United Nations as part of possible peacekeeping force in those camps were the J.a.n.j.a.w.e.e.d.s roved, causing death, rapes and mayhem. When the time came, that we may or may not have performed to the level that justified the Sudanese apprehension at our presence is moot. The point is that our efforts in Liberia and Sierra leone signaled to the relevant external powers in the West and elsewhere that we had to be dismantled as a Nation or drastically cut down to manageable size and ego. Nigeria was the potential spoiler of the lovely and lucrative game of destabilization. Moreover, Nigeria posed the danger of becoming a unifying force in that area for the rest of Africa. So when the terrorists came, they fought us with Suspiciously more venom than they had any right to given their bedraggled appearance.

Am I therefore advocating a cowardly approach by suggesting that we take a back seat for a while to instability such as that unfolding in the Gambia? No, I'm not. I hope it is pragmatic to suggest that Nigeria, as a young Nation full of potential and possessing of citizens with hearts of gold not appreciated by those they make sacrifices for, Nigeria spends time building up her strength. At the local level, We civilians are already expecting quite a lot of our young when we demand our soldiers die for our security as they are doing in the NE let alone demand of them to go potentially die for highfalutin and ephemeral ideals or citizens of ungrateful nations.

1 Like

Re: Gambia: Yaya Jammeh Vows Not To Quit by WhoRUDeceiving: 2:06am On Jan 13, 2017
Useless African leaders and follow follow people
Re: Gambia: Yaya Jammeh Vows Not To Quit by Mynd44: 5:55am On Jan 13, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Top Sex Official Appointed As 'minister Of Sex' In Spain - Timeexpress.tv / What Are Hypersonic Weapons, Who Has Them And The Race To Acquire Them. / My Sister Called Me To Beg For N2k. I Feel Suicidal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.