Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:41 AM

Troubleshooting A Smoky Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Troubleshooting A Smoky Engine (962 Views)

Brake Troubleshooting And What To Check On / Let's Play A Troubleshooting Game / The Mercedes Benz Transmission Troubleshooting Tips... Limp Mode And No Shifting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Troubleshooting A Smoky Engine by isdore66(m): 6:33pm On Jan 14, 2017
Engine is the life of a car and must be taken care of , one must take note every little change in his engine be it sound or the kind of smoke it brings out.
When a smoky engine is detected ,you don't have to get all worked up because you might not have to spend much to bring the car back to a sound state.

STEPS TO TROUBLESHOOTING A SMOKY ENGINE
1. Check the colour of the smoke being emitted by the engine.
a. Blue smoke; blue smoke implies the engine oil is entering into the combustion chamber.
b. Black smoke; This implies that the fuel entering into the combustion chamber is too much and there is incomplete combustion of fuel in the engine.
c. White smoke; This implies that coolant is entering the combustion chamber. The white smoke is actually steam.
Take note; Its normal to see a white smoke when you turn on your engine in the morning.

2. Check the oil to see if it is contaminated by water or fuel. smell it to check if it has a hard fuel smell , if it does off your engine and call a professional.

3. If it is a white smoke, allow the engine to cool down and check the level of the coolant. If there is reduction in it level then its obvious that the water is entering into the combustion chamber . Check the head gasket or check to see a crack on the cylinder block.

4. If it is a blue smoke , check the pistons , gasket, O- rings and the head cylinder and replace bad parts.

5. If it is a black smoke ; check the fuel pump, check for leaky injectors, bad carburettor adjustment. This can also be caused by failing engine computer and it must be changed.
Visit www.mekkanics..com for more car talks.

1 Like

Re: Troubleshooting A Smoky Engine by 3kay945(m): 12:25am On Jan 18, 2017
I saw an unusual smoke like grey or so , am sure it wasn't vapour ,. I was like 'what the hell is this about',.. I never knew my car is about to over heat in the next five mins or so. Thank God I stopped to greet a friend , then I noticed vibration on the brake.

So,.. Unusual smoke might be upcoming over heating Issue.
Re: Troubleshooting A Smoky Engine by isdore66(m): 10:13pm On Jan 24, 2017
Yea dats because ur top gasket got blown during the overheating, hope UV fixed it...
Re: Troubleshooting A Smoky Engine by kingreign(m): 8:06am On Jan 25, 2017
isdore66:
Yea dats because ur top gasket got blown during the overheating, hope UV fixed it...
Dude! angry

He didn't say white smoke. Grey smoke undecided
Re: Troubleshooting A Smoky Engine by isdore66(m): 8:44pm On Jan 25, 2017
Ok... Grey or blue smoke appears when oil finds its way into d combustion chamber

(1) (Reply)

Recommend Automotive Services / Mercedes-benz Takes Voice Control To Another Level With The New E-class By Naija / In Need Of Kia Cerato 2006 Tokunbo Engine And Gear

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.