Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,081 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

Have You Ever Been Victim Of A Uk School Tuition Deposit Fraud ? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Have You Ever Been Victim Of A Uk School Tuition Deposit Fraud ? (2720 Views)

Officer Returns 600,000 Naira To Accident Victim / FRSC Returns Kaduna Crash Victim’s N.4m To Family / Can Students Work To Pay Tuition In Australia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Been Victim Of A Uk School Tuition Deposit Fraud ? by pafun(m): 6:29pm On Nov 25, 2009
There is a growing concern about this fraud. Typically when students from visa countries apply to study in a UK college or university , they are asked to pay a deposit to the school after which they are issued an admission letter to enable them apply for a study visa . More than 80% of these visa applications fail though . For the student to get their deposit paid back by the school now becomes so difficult that most just stop trying after months of fruitless correspondence with the school. It is a real and growing scam and it is thought that many of these colleges and universities actually issue out admission letters to students whom they know have no hope of getting a visa just to collect a deposit which they have no intention of paying back.
Have you ever been a victim of such schools and how did you pursue the matter?

My nephew has an ungoing tussle with a school called   North West College London http://www.nwclondon.co.uk  which has put him to such misery over the past 6 months and he is now convinced that the school may not actually exist. Does anyone know this school ?.
Re: Have You Ever Been Victim Of A Uk School Tuition Deposit Fraud ? by justwise(m): 7:21pm On Nov 25, 2009
That school is in the list of Register of Sponsors Licensed Under the Points-Based System. Just checked it now.

But there are alot of bogus colleges in the UK defrauding foreign students. Its not new, Home Office has listed all Universities and Colleges licenced to Sponsor oversea students.

Pple should check the list b4 applying for any school in the UK.
Re: Have You Ever Been Victim Of A Uk School Tuition Deposit Fraud ? by pafun(m): 8:45pm On Nov 25, 2009
justwise:

That school is in the list of Register of Sponsors Licensed Under the Points-Based System. Just checked it now.

But there are alot of bogus colleges in the UK defrauding foreign students. Its not new, Home Office has listed all Universities and Colleges licenced to Sponsor oversea students.

Pple should check the list b4 applying for any school in the UK.

So it apears that even the real colleges are part of the fraud , or why have they kept silent and not returning my nephew's correspondences anymore. Even the ones that they replied before are not signed with anybody's name.
Re: Have You Ever Been Victim Of A Uk School Tuition Deposit Fraud ? by debosky(m): 8:49pm On Nov 25, 2009
pafun:

So it apears that even the real colleges are part of the fraud , or why have they kept silent and not returning my nephew's correspondences anymore. Even the ones that they replied before are not signed with anybody's name.

Was there any agreement regarding how funds would be returned in the event of a failed visa application? Some schools tell you upfront that any deposit paid is non-refundable, so you should always make sure you are clear on what recourse you have if the visa application falls through.
Re: Have You Ever Been Victim Of A Uk School Tuition Deposit Fraud ? by justwise(m): 8:52pm On Nov 25, 2009
pafun:

Don't give up, they will pay back, all they want to do is to fustrate your nephew.

yes some of the licenced Colleges are into it, Home Office will only take action when complains start puring in for the same school.
Write Home Office as well.
Re: Have You Ever Been Victim Of A Uk School Tuition Deposit Fraud ? by justwise(m): 8:57pm On Nov 25, 2009
debosky:

Was there any agreement regarding how funds would be returned in the event of a failed visa application? Some schools tell you upfront that any deposit paid is non-refundable, so you should always make sure you are clear on what recourse you have if the visa application falls through.

I never knew that some schools will take ur deposit if the admission did not go through, many do take the adminitrative cost then refund the rest.
Re: Have You Ever Been Victim Of A Uk School Tuition Deposit Fraud ? by pafun(m): 8:59pm On Nov 25, 2009
debosky:

Of course there was an agreement, we are not illiterate. Refund of deposit less administrative fee. They started by giving excuse that BHC has not given them OK to pay. We contacted BHC and then they said they have heard from BHC. Next they demanded payment account again and some very personal information which only a fraudster will be interested in . Then they finally agreed to pay and now for two months they have erected stonewall. No reply to correspondence anymore . Anyone can forward this page to them  at info@nwclondon.co.uk  if you think it will do anygood for them. They are behaving in a highly inethical way.
Re: Have You Ever Been Victim Of A Uk School Tuition Deposit Fraud ? by debosky(m): 9:01pm On Nov 25, 2009
pafun:

Of course there was an agreement, we are not illiterate. Refund of deposit less administrative fee. They started by giving excuse that BHC has not given them OK to pay. We contacted BHC and then they said they have heard from BHC. Next they demanded payment account again and some very personal information which only a fraudster will be interested in . Then they finally agreed to pay and now for two months they have erected stonewall. No reply to correspondence anymore . Anyone can forward this page to them  at info@nwclondon.co.uk  if you think it will do anygood for them. They are behaving in a highly inethical way.

That is really bad of them. Do you have access to a solicitor? You might need to bring a threat of prosecution against them if this continues. I doubt if it is fraud as such, the organisation might be having financial difficulties as well. All the same that doesn't make it right but I think you should bring in a lawyer to put more pressure on them - this is highly unbecoming behaviour.
Re: Have You Ever Been Victim Of A Uk School Tuition Deposit Fraud ? by justwise(m): 9:04pm On Nov 25, 2009
debosky:

That is really bad of them. Do you have access to a solicitor? You might need to bring a threat of prosecution against them if this continues. I doubt if it is fraud as such, the organisation might be having financial difficulties as well. All the same that doesn't make it right but I think you should bring in a lawyer to put more pressure on them - this is highly unbecoming behaviour.

That is what u should do, they may end up paying for the legal cost + ur money
Re: Have You Ever Been Victim Of A Uk School Tuition Deposit Fraud ? by pafun(m): 9:12pm On Nov 25, 2009
justwise:

That is what u should do, they may end up paying for the legal cost + your money
Good idea . We will try that one too. Tief-tief oyinbo.
Re: Have You Ever Been Victim Of A Uk School Tuition Deposit Fraud ? by justwise(m): 11:20pm On Nov 25, 2009
pafun:

Good idea . We will try that one too. Tief-tief oyinbo.

The moment ur solicitor gets intouch with them by writing they will know that they game is up.
Do it asap, is either they pay up or they see u in court
Re: Have You Ever Been Victim Of A Uk School Tuition Deposit Fraud ? by skfa1: 11:35pm On Nov 25, 2009
Not only naija people scam, white men scam aswell, they might even use a legal way to carry out the scam. For example what you have just stated above. Another example, few years back, to renew Visa in UK is free now you have to pay hundreds of pound and all this money goes into benefit to support their citizen. So what can we call that? that is called scamming legally.

Another is Home student (Citizen) fee and International student fee where international student will pay times three of the home student fee.

Lots of examples like that. I pray for Nigeria to become a better place.
Re: Have You Ever Been Victim Of A Uk School Tuition Deposit Fraud ? by Afam4eva(m): 1:36pm On Nov 26, 2009
How will i apply to a school that parades such mediocre website. Even if it's in Nigeria sef, it's to sub-standard to be a UK university website.
Re: Have You Ever Been Victim Of A Uk School Tuition Deposit Fraud ? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Nov 26, 2009
I think it's every where

When tuition fee is paid, most schools find it difficult to return the fund back to you

Pressure them if the tuition is huge

SOUTH CHELSEA COLLEGE is still owing me 400 Pounds since 2006 WTF?

According to their agreement, 150GBP will be charged so I think I have 250GBP left over with them, whenever I visit UK, I'm going to that school to collect my MONEY

Ole dem!! Hold dem!!! ITT - International Theif Theif
Re: Have You Ever Been Victim Of A Uk School Tuition Deposit Fraud ? by iwefactria: 4:33pm On Nov 26, 2009
I don't think is a FRAUD per say.I had the same problem as well and at the end of the day i found out that i have not given them all the required document for them to process my refund.And i think they want to be sure the money get to the right person and more so now that Naija is involve grin i think you should call them and ask what is causing the delay in processing your money.

(1) (Reply)

Japanese Street Gutters Are NOT This Clean! / Aviation Unions Warn International Affiliates Not To Fly Into Nigeria / Please Help Convert This Time And Time Zone To Local Lagos Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.