Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,026 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. (12030 Views)

Non Religious Believers in god Come Here / How To Answer The Question "Where Did Jesus Say, 'I Am God, Worship Me''? / Best Answer For Asking A Silly Question Like This. Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by thehomer: 11:45pm On Jan 21, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

These videos can help .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQkFlzFJ3kA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvj87QCF0lg

They didn't help. They're just more confused. They say humans aren't supposed to understand a person or persons that they worship. In such a situation, how do they know such a person or persons even have good intentions towards them?

If you understand it, why don't you explain the concept in your own words? Show me the way you arrived at your understanding. if you don't understand it, maybe it is because it is actually nonsense.

1 Like

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by thehomer: 11:46pm On Jan 21, 2017
DeepSight:

It is the very point on which all existence rests.
The singular point which is the "necessary permanent something" that makes all existence possible, as opposed to nothingness.

Does this God of yours think? Does it make any decisions at all?
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by orisa37: 3:13am On Jan 22, 2017
God is Everywhere and Nowhere.

1 Like

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by johnw74: 6:05am On Jan 22, 2017
^^^
oxymoron

paradox

contradictory Statement
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by thehomer: 12:29am On Jan 23, 2017
orisa37:
God is Everywhere and Nowhere.

No he isn't.
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by Nobody: 7:11am On Jan 23, 2017
DeepSight:
^^^ By the way please tell me more about this:

"I shall Crush the Host of the swine. Hurl away their goblet of wine. Drink from the chalice of light. Consume this cosmic might. For those with eyes to see, let them behold.Those who refuse let them incur the mirth of saints."

Your signature.
Sorry, I just saw this.

"The Host of the Swine" refers to blinded, ignorant automata, who never understand the level of their stupidity, but revel in it rather arrogantly. They have mediaval minds and champion archaic, outdated, nauseating values, intent on dragging humanity back to the cave.

Those who're determined to transform society and propel humanity forward will have no choice but to "CRUSH" The Host of the Swine, tear open their throats and make them vomit all the toxins that make them cower in the darkness of their accepted ignorance, trample over every false icon they promote, or give them the chance to be bathed in living light or their own blood (Jihadists come to mind). Those among them "with eyes to see" will join HigherHumanity, while those of them who refuse will "incur the mirth of saints" (the movers and shakers), and be "cast in the void".

The dinosaurs will become extinct. Their fate is sealed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by Nobody: 7:15am On Jan 23, 2017
johnw74:

^^^
oxymoron

paradox

contradictory Statement

Not necessarily. A quantum particle can be everywhere and nowhere, which expresses NON-LOCALITY. It means it has no definite location.

Physically though, the claim is preposterous, since if something is in spacetime, it MUST, by definition, be located somewhere. But, what if it's outside space and time? There's no constraint, is there?

1 Like

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by orisa37: 8:13am On Jan 23, 2017
thehomer:

No he isn't.

Do you believe in yourself?
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by thehomer: 10:32am On Jan 23, 2017
orisa37:

Do you believe in yourself?

Yes.
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by orisa37: 12:43pm On Jan 23, 2017
thehomer:

Yes.

Very good! Only God is Good---Step one.
Believe in Others in their Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding----The Discernment of The Faithfuls---Then you're wise and better----Step two.
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by thehomer: 2:09pm On Jan 23, 2017
orisa37:

Very good! Only God is Good---Step one.
Believe in Others in their Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding----The Discernment of The Faithfuls---Then you're wise and better----Step two.

The Christian God is not good. I accept the wisdom of others after they demonstrate such wisdom. The faithful aren't very discerning. If they were, they won't be faithful.

1 Like

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by 4kings: 2:13am On Feb 03, 2017
Nice thread. smiley
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by Joshthefirst(m): 4:40pm On Feb 07, 2017
JackBizzle:

So this eternal being just existed?

Why assume that there is only one eternal being?

Why also assume that such a being cannot die? For to live is to die. There is no life without death. If you never die, you were never alive in the first place.

Logically, this eternal mind being could never be alive
To reply the bolded, a boundless entity is not duplicated. As God is everything and eternity, there can be no other being taking up any extra reality apart from him, as he himself is reality. any other personality will be the same being from a different perspective. God has revealed hi self in three persons to us, one being a man, Christ Jesus. Take it like that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by Joshthefirst(m): 4:46pm On Feb 07, 2017
thehomer:

They didn't help. They're just more confused. They say humans aren't supposed to understand a person or persons that they worship. In such a situation, how do they know such a person or persons even have good intentions towards them?

If you understand it, why don't you explain the concept in your own words? Show me the way you arrived at your understanding. if you don't understand it, maybe it is because it is actually nonsense.
God is revealed as a community of three persons, yet one being. The very definition of God's nature shows that he is the sum total of all existence and all reality. This obviously means that every form of existence that is manifest in reality is a subunit of his boundless limitlessness.

There can't be any other being that exists as God, because this ultimate being(God) is the sum total of existence. Any other personality revealed will be the same being.
God has revealed himself as three persons, A Father, a Son, and a Spirit. Simple.
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by JackBizzle: 4:13am On Feb 08, 2017
Joshthefirst:

To reply the bolded, a boundless entity is not duplicated. As God is everything and eternity, there can be no other being taking up any extra reality apart from him, as he himself is reality. any other personality will be the same being from a different perspective. God has revealed hi self in three persons to us, one being a man, Christ Jesus. Take it like that.

A boundless entity is not duplicated? Who made that rule?

Simple logic even defeats that statement- numbers are boundless in to ways- they can be infinitely increased or decreased- you can keep adding up or subtracting down. To suggest that there can be only one boundless entity is myopic in thought.

Infinity, in theory, can be multiplied.

Ironically, I just finished watching Jet li's "The One" - a movie where there could only be one infinitely powerful chi master in the universe.
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by thehomer: 8:37am On Feb 17, 2017
Joshthefirst:
God is revealed as a community of three persons, yet one being. The very definition of God's nature shows that he is the sum total of all existence and all reality. This obviously means that every form of existence that is manifest in reality is a subunit of his boundless limitlessness.

You are confused. If your God is the sum total of all existence, then he is more than three persons since more than three persons exist in this reality.

Joshthefirst:

There can't be any other being that exists as God, because this ultimate being(God) is the sum total of existence. Any other personality revealed will be the same being.
God has revealed himself as three persons, A Father, a Son, and a Spirit. Simple.

You just said there were three beings that exist as God and that all human beings are a subset of your God. Humans are individual persons therefore we have more than three persons that are a part of your God.
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by Joshthefirst(m): 4:00pm On Feb 18, 2017
thehomer:

You are confused. If your God is the sum total of all existence, then he is more than three persons since more than three persons exist in this reality.
You misunderstand. God has revealed himself as three persons.
And when I say he is the sum total of all existence, I don't mean all fractions and niches of existent verities add up to him. I mean existence itself and everything in our reality is contained in him. He is boundless and everything. A being who is "everything" cannot be duplicated, as the very definition of his presence takes up limitless infinity.

thehomer:

You just said there were three beings that exist as God and that all human beings are a subset of your God. Humans are individual persons therefore we have more than three persons that are a part of your God.
As I have said, I don't mean our collective consciousness equals God. I mean God's limitlessness contains all of existence and reality.
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by JackBizzle: 4:37pm On Feb 18, 2017
Joshthefirst:

And when I say he is the sum total of all existence, I don't mean all fractions and niches of existent verities add up to him. I mean existence itself and everything in our reality is contained in him. He is boundless and everything. A being who is "everything" cannot be duplicated, as the very definition of his presence takes up limitless infinity.

As I have said, I don't mean our collective consciousness equals God. I mean God's limitlessness contains all of existence and reality.

So, you just act like my comment doesn't exist?

okay.
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by Joshthefirst(m): 8:19pm On Feb 18, 2017
JackBizzle:

So, you just act like my comment doesn't exist?

okay.
Sorry, thought I had already.

JackBizzle:

A boundless entity is not duplicated? Who made that rule?
It's logical reasoning.

Simple logic even defeats that statement- numbers are boundless in to ways- they can be infinitely increased or decreased- you can keep adding up or subtracting down. To suggest that there can be only one boundless entity is myopic in thought.
Numbers are not boundless. Every number has a definition, and can be quantified. That numbers increase is nothing special. With each increase there is a limit and quantification. Infinity itself, is not a number. And can numerically never be reached. A vital point.

JackBizzle:

Infinity, in theory, can be multiplied.
Here, you give me leverage for another vital point. Infinity multiplied is still infinity, from any perspective. You could say the same about Trinity. God may be revealed as multiple persons, but he remains God. Limitless

And when you think about it, limitless cannot increase, or be reduced. It simply is.

JackBizzle:

Ironically, I just finished watching Jet li's "The One" - a movie where there could only be one infinitely powerful chi master in the universe.
I like that movie.
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by JackBizzle: 8:45pm On Feb 18, 2017
Joshthefirst:

It's logical reasoning.

Numbers are not boundless. Every number has a definition, and can be quantified. That numbers increase is nothing special. With each increase there is a limit and quantification. Infinity itself, is not a number. And can numerically never be reached. A vital point.

You are not reasoning logically. You say numbers are not boundless and yet, you contradict yourself by saying that there is always an increase. There is no limit to numbers.

I would argue that infinity itself is a number. There is a symbol for it

To give you a practical example of inifinity being a number, just take the simple division of 22/7 or the symbol called "pi" π.

That "Pi" number is infinite because, equivalently, its decimal representation never ends and never settles into a permanent repeating pattern.

Joshthefirst:

Here, you give me leverage for another vital point. Infinity multiplied is still infinity, from any perspective. You could say the same about Trinity. God may be revealed as multiple persons, but he remains God. Limitless

And when you think about it, limitless cannot increase, or be reduced. It simply is.

Limitless can increase. You can multiply 2 infinites. For example, let us assume that the universe is infinite in all directions. If I try to travel to the top of the universe, I would not get there because it would take me an infinite time to get to the top of the universe which is infinite. If I then plan a second journey to the bottom of the universe, that would add an infinity to another infinity- it would take longer to go to the top and then backwards to the bottom.

The problem with this your infinite God is that infinity does not exist in the real world. It is a contradiction. Something can be infinitely big but can still be bigger. Can God make a God more powerful than himself? The apparent contradiction is soo clear. What if God gives birth to God 2.0? A self-refuting contradiction.

cc johnydon22, hahn.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by johnydon22(m): 8:54pm On Feb 18, 2017
JackBizzle:

You are not reasoning logically. You say numbers are not boundless and yet, you contradict yourself by saying that there is always an increase. There is no limit to numbers.

To give you a practical example of inifinity being a number, just take the simple division of 22/7 or the symbol called "pi" π.

That "Pi" number is infinite because, equivalently, its decimal representation never ends and never settles into a permanent repeating pattern.

Limitless can increase. You can multiply 2 infinites. For example, let us assume that the universe is infinite in all directions. If I try to travel to the top of the universe, I would not get there because it would take me an infinite time to get to the top of the universe which is infinite. If I then plan a second journey to the bottom of the universe, that would add an infinity to another infinity- it would take longer to go to the top and then backwards to the bottom.

The problem with this your infinite God is that infinity does not exist in the real world. It is a contradiction. Something can be infinitely big but can still be bigger. Can God make a God more powerful than himself? The apparent contradiction is soo clear. What if God gives birth to God 2.0? A self-refuting contradiction.

cc johnydon22, hahn.

infinity can be greater than infinity contrary to Joshthefirst thoughts. there is an infinite number of values in between 0 and 1 and 1 to 2 but still one is still greater than 0 and 2 greater than 1 even though in the real numerical sense all are infinite - so yes infinity can always increase.

so the omni paradox holds, because it literally contradicts itself

1 Like 1 Share

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by JackBizzle: 9:10pm On Feb 18, 2017
johnydon22:

infinity can be greater than infinity contrary to Joshthefirst thoughts. there is an infinite number of values in between 0 and 1 and 1 to 2 but still one is still greater than 0 and 2 greater than 1 even though in the real numerical sense all are infinite - so yes infinity can always increase.

Well said.

r
The problem with many relgious people is that they only see the world half-backed through their religion
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by hahn(m): 11:09pm On Feb 18, 2017
JackBizzle:

cc johnydon22, hahn.

Where intelligence ends, delusion begins. When reality does not suffice, god is the next best thing.

Dumping god in the trash needs no long talk. It is already a waste

1 Like 1 Share

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by sonmvayina(m): 8:26am On Feb 19, 2017
lele007:
God came from God. He is the beginning without beginning. He has no beginning. Whats so hard to understand there?

But which one?.,is it the Roman one, the greek one, the mexican one, the yoruba one, the benin one or the ibo one?.,,,,
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by thehomer: 9:35am On Feb 19, 2017
Joshthefirst:

Is your God one person or three people?

Joshthefirst:

Do you mean that your God is the Cosmos?

Joshthefirst:

So your God is the Cosmos. How then can it actually have coherent thoughts and ideas?
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:04pm On Feb 19, 2017
johnydon22:

It is logically impossible for God to create a better version of Itself - a better version of God cannot exist ; in short , there is no such thing . Joshthefirst is right .

God is the appellation of the First Cause and It's attributes include : beginless , uncaused , spaceless , eternal , immaterial , necessarily existing , non- contingent , immutable etc . Now this "God 2.0 " , as JackBizzle calls it , has to be caused , and since it is caused it has a beginning and it is contingent ; is it possible for God 2.0 not to exist ? Yes , therefore it is not necessarily existing(existing because of the necessity of its own nature ) - God 2.0 depends on God Himself for its existence since God is the source of existence . Since God is an omniscient being , can one have more knowledge than an omniscient being ? In short , can a contingent being be greater than a non-contingent being ? Mbanu !!!

So , you can see that such is simply impossible , just like creating a square-circle or defeating oneself in arm wrestling .

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:10pm On Feb 19, 2017
sonmvayina:

But which one?.,is it the Roman one, the greek one, the mexican one, the yoruba one, the benin one or the ibo one?.,,,,

This is specious - on the first look at this statement , it looks sound and reasonable ; on the second look , it is based on ignorance . What different cultures and religions have are just conceptions of this maximally great being .

1 Like

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:06pm On Feb 19, 2017
thehomer:

Does this God of yours think? Does it make any decisions at all?

An omniscient being does not need to think . A prescient being only needs to act not to decide . Making a decision entails acting out your thoughts due to uncertainty of the future .

But is God really omniscient? God is actually beyond omniscient : God has all propositional knowledge and the appropriate non propositional knowledge. Having all propositional knowledge means God knows all truths , that is the knowledge of everything ; and having the appropriate non propositional knowledge is like God knowing He is omnipotent , immutable , eternal . But does God know that he is the thehomer ? Of course not . You can say I am thehomer , but God can't say that . God does not know what it feels like to be a sinner but he knows that a sinner feels guilty . So God cannot have all non propositional knowledge but can have only the appropriate non propositional knowledge .

There are three characteristics of God's knowledge : natural knowledge , free knowledge and middle knowledge . Natural knowledge are necessary truths , free knowledge are contingent truths , middle knowledge is like the middle . Natural knowledge things that could be , middle knowledge things that would be and free knowledge things that will be .

There are many philosophers and theologians that believe that God made a descision but in my opinion , he just acted out his foreknowledge.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by sonmvayina(m): 8:33pm On Feb 19, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

This is specious - on the first look at this statement , it looks sound and reasonable ; on the second look , it is based on ignorance . What different cultures and religions have are just conceptions of this maximally great being .

so all the same, but different. nomenclature...
i can relate to that..
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by thehomer: 9:50pm On Feb 19, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

An omniscient being does not need to think . A prescient being only needs to act not to decide . Making a decision entails acting out your thoughts due to uncertainty of the future .

But God has been known to change his mind based on what someone did. Isn't that due to making a decision?

KingEbukasBlog:

But is God really omniscient? God is actually beyond omniscient : God has all propositional knowledge and the appropriate non propositional knowledge. Having all propositional knowledge means God knows all truths , that is the knowledge of everything ; and having the appropriate non propositional knowledge is like God knowing He is omnipotent , immutable , eternal . But does God know that he is the thehomer ? Of course not . You can say I am thehomer , but God can't say that . God does not know what it feels like to be a sinner but he knows that a sinner feels guilty . So God cannot have all non propositional knowledge but can have only the appropriate non propositional knowledge .

Does God know what will make thehomer start believing in him?

KingEbukasBlog:

There are three characteristics of God's knowledge : natural knowledge , free knowledge and middle knowledge . Natural knowledge are necessary truths , free knowledge are contingent truths , middle knowledge is like the middle . Natural knowledge things that could be , middle knowledge things that would be and free knowledge things that will be .

Sure.

KingEbukasBlog:

There are many philosophers and theologians that believe that God made a descision but in my opinion , he just acted out his foreknowledge.

If that is the case, why did he need sacrifices in the past? If your God knows via his foreknowledge which serial killers are about to start killing, why doesn't he act? When ordinary human police officers have such information, they try to prevent it, why not God?
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:39pm On Feb 19, 2017
thehomer:

But God has been known to change his mind based on what someone did. Isn't that due to making a decision?

Changing his mind does not mean he actually made a poor decision at first , it just means he has changed course to achieve a particular goal . God can have a thousand and one ways to achieve a goal . He already knows that a particular point or instance he would switch courses as a prescient being .

Does God know what will make thehomer start believing in him?

Of course . If you need a certain experience to could possibly make you believe in God , then he could let you experience it .

If that is the case, why did he need sacrifices in the past? If your God knows via his foreknowledge which serial killers are about to start killing, why doesn't he act? When ordinary human police officers have such information, they try to prevent it, why not God?

FREEWILL .

Plus , Only God Himself knows why he does not intervene in every situation ; I don't know as a human , my knowledge is limited . Also , remember that God has His own freedom of will as a personal God , so he expresses anytime he wants to
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by thehomer: 11:58pm On Feb 19, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Changing his mind does not mean he actually made a poor decision at first , it just means he has changed course to achieve a particular goal . God can have a thousand and one ways to achieve a goal . He already knows that a particular point or instance he would switch courses as a prescient being .

Changing his mind means he made a decision. Why would he have to change course if he already knows everything that will happen?

KingEbukasBlog:

Of course . If you need a certain experience to could possibly make you believe in God , then he could let you experience it .

Why doesn't he? Doesn't he want me in heaven?

KingEbukasBlog:

FREEWILL .

Not good enough. We as ordinary humans want to inhibit the freewill of criminals. Does God think so little of victims of brutal crimes?

KingEbukasBlog:

Plus , Only God Himself knows why he does not intervene in every situation ; I don't know as a human , my knowledge is limited . Also , remember that God has His own freedom of will as a personal God , so he expresses anytime he wants to

Sure only God knows why but why should someone like me think it is a good reason? Is that really the best way for an omnipotent and omniscient entity to make a good world?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Many Times Do They Collect Tithes And Offering In Your Church? / What Is Your Favourite Christmas Carol Song? / Scientist Confirm That Hell Is Real

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.