Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:50 AM

Gambia: Jammeh Will Not Step Down – Information Minister Insists - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Gambia: Jammeh Will Not Step Down – Information Minister Insists (423 Views)

I Will Not Step Down Nor Die - 93-year-old Zimbabwean President, Mugabe Boast / Jammeh Gives Conditions To Step Down / "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gambia: Jammeh Will Not Step Down – Information Minister Insists by Fogman(m): 9:29am On Jan 20, 2017
Gambia’s Minister of Information, Sidie Njie, has insisted that Yahya Jammeh will not step down as President.

Njie is the only Minister still in support of Jammeh, after six of his colleagues resigned two days earlier.

He has now told the BBC that his principal was still in control of the West African nation, despite Adama Barrow being sworn-in on Thursday .
Barrow defeated Jammeh in the December 1 presidential election and although he initially conceded defeat, Jammeh went on to reject the result of the polls. He is also refusing to vacate office amid regional and international pressure.
In his inaugural speech, Barrow urged the Gambian armed forces to remain loyal to the constitution.

“As commander-in-chief, I call on all personnel of the armed forces and other security agencies to be loyal to the Constitution and the Republic,” he said.

“As their commander-in-chief, I command all members of the armed forces to remain in the barracks and those found wanting or in possession of firearms without my command shall be considered rebels.”

He added that his administration had developed a think tank to put in place inclusive development, and urged all Gambians to “join hands to effect the change that will bring liberty and prosperity to everyone”.

The inauguration ceremony was attended by Marcel de Souza, ECOWAS commission president; Moustapha Cisse Lo, ECOWAS parliament president; and Alima Ahmed, ECOWAS commissioner, political affairs, peace and security.

http://dailypost.ng/2017/01/20/gambia-jammeh-will-not-step-information-minister-insists/?utm_source=dlvr.it_dp1&utm_medium=facebook

Re: Gambia: Jammeh Will Not Step Down – Information Minister Insists by madridguy(m): 9:30am On Jan 20, 2017
grin
Re: Gambia: Jammeh Will Not Step Down – Information Minister Insists by Nobody: 9:30am On Jan 20, 2017
Mad men
Re: Gambia: Jammeh Will Not Step Down – Information Minister Insists by Rapwiz(m): 9:31am On Jan 20, 2017
3rd cheesy
Re: Gambia: Jammeh Will Not Step Down – Information Minister Insists by darkenkach(m): 9:39am On Jan 20, 2017
I feel for him(yahya). I really wish I can smuggle him out of that mess.

(1) (Reply)

Tinubu’s Private Plane Flies Jammeh Into Exile / Germany To Abolish Law On Insulting Foreign Heads Of States / Muslim Ban: Merkel Blasts Trump, Say Fight Against Terrorism No Excuse For Ban

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.