Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,700 members, 7,809,653 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:32 PM

Trump’s Plan For Iphone Production Is A Bad One - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Trump’s Plan For Iphone Production Is A Bad One (1174 Views)

What's The Best Data Plan For Heavy Users? / Best Internet Plan For Heavy Users / White Guy Compares A Bad Phone Review To Nigeria. (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trump’s Plan For Iphone Production Is A Bad One by johnson74: 8:16pm On Jan 20, 2017
At a fancy dinner in 2011, President Barack Obama asked Steve Jobs: What would it take to convince Apple to make the iPhone in the United States?

Jobs’ response: Those jobs aren’t coming back.

Fast forward six years, and a new president is asking the same question — and possibly finding a different answer.

President-elect Donald Trump reportedly said in an interview with Axis that Apple CEO Tim Cook has “his eyes open” to the possibility of a U.S.-made iPhone, adding that Cook wants to “do something major here.”

Trump has referenced a desire to bring iPhone production back to the U.S. since June 2016, part of his broad stance against companies...

READ MORE:HERE

Re: Trump’s Plan For Iphone Production Is A Bad One by LILGWANZ(m): 8:25pm On Jan 20, 2017
But is it really possible?lots of workers would loose there jobs
Re: Trump’s Plan For Iphone Production Is A Bad One by Elparaiso(m): 9:08pm On Jan 20, 2017
LILGWANZ:
But is it really possible?lots of workers would loose there jobs

Actually, Chinese workers would lose their jobs. The reason why Apple took those jobs to China is because the labor over there is cheaper than in America.

From some of the analyses I have read, if Apple were to bring those jobs to the US, more Americans would have jobs.

However, the federal minimum wage in America is about $7.50 and I am pretty sure it's higher than that of China. This means Apple will pay more to produce iPhones. This extra amount would be recovered from the end consumer, you. So the iPhone you buy for #200,000 might now be sold for about #300,000 if not more. Trump is just shouting, "jobs jobs", he hasn't taken the time to find out the consequences.

3 Likes

Re: Trump’s Plan For Iphone Production Is A Bad One by simiolu1(m): 1:03am On Jan 21, 2017
Elparaiso:

Actually, Chinese workers would lose their jobs. The reason why Apple took those jobs to China is because the labor over there is cheaper than in America.

From some of the analyses I have read, if Apple were to bring those jobs to the US, more Americans would have jobs.

However, the federal minimum wage in America is about $7.50 and I pretty sure it's higher than that of China. This means Apple will pay more to produce iPhones. This extra amount would be recovered from the end consumer, you. So the iPhone you buy for #200,000 might now be sold for about #300,000 if not more. Trump is just shouting, "jobs jobs", he hasn't taken the time to find out the consequences.

Nice analysis. Cost is part of the reasons; not all. There's also expertise and efficiency of production. Ever since the Asians perfected the art of just-in-time production; Europeans and Americans have been trying to keep up.
Re: Trump’s Plan For Iphone Production Is A Bad One by Elparaiso(m): 1:08am On Jan 21, 2017
simiolu1:

Nice analysis. Cost is part of the reasons; not all. There's also expertise and efficiency of production. Ever since the Asians perfected the art of just-in-time production; Europeans and Americans have been trying to keep up.

Yea, that is true. But the part that consumers I.e you and I, would really feel is the price of iPhones.

Maybe you Sha. I'm a droid fan.

2 Likes

Re: Trump’s Plan For Iphone Production Is A Bad One by simiolu1(m): 1:15am On Jan 21, 2017
Elparaiso:

Yea, that is true. But the part that consumers I.e you and I, would really feel is the price of iPhones.

Maybe you Sha. I'm a droid fan.

I'm gonna buy apple products soon whether I like it or not. But I'm a droid fan too. uncle Sammy all the way

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

I Need Suggestions Concerning A Good Smart Phone Between 45 And 60 Thousand Nai / Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 / If Phone Companies Acted Like Lagos Babes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.