Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,117 members, 7,821,829 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:42 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 - Travel (214) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (697530 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) ... (409) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 19, 2017
Sweet interview, congratulations.
drhopeful:
Visa approved this morning at Lagos Consulate by the purportedly mean Chinese-looking guy. After dishing out blue papers, it finally got to my turn.

VO: Good morning Ma'am
Me: Good morning
VO: What are you going to do in the US?
Me: I am going to study for a PhD in Materials Engineering at the University of Virginia, Charlottesville
VO: Cool. Pass me your documents
Me: [Obliged]
VO: [Critically peruses my I-20 while I stare at him like one mumu girl and then he exclaims...] Wow! You got a full package from UVA! UVA is a great school. I am so excited for you and I can imagine you can't wait to start! Wow! This is nice! Are you excited?
Me: Yes, I am. Thank you. [At this point, I was just too shocked because it was not kind of interview I have been hearing about on here. I expected those their standard questions, which I had ready answers for]
VO: When last were you in the US?
Me: February last year, on vacation
VO: I am still so excited for you!
Me: Thank you
VO: Where is your husband?
Me: He is outside
VO: [Types and stares at his screen...] Honestly, everything looks perfect..... [Hands me white paper]. Enjoy Your studies!

End of interview that did not feel like interview. After all my prepped-up answers sad wink grin

Anyways, thanks guys and ladies. You guys have been of immense help on this thread and on the GRE thread. I try my best to help out to the best of my ability. I wish everyone success in their interviews.

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Mayflowa(m): 3:54pm On May 19, 2017
drhopeful:
Visa approved this morning at Lagos Consulate by the purportedly mean Chinese-looking guy. After dishing out blue papers, it finally got to my turn.

Me: I am going to study for a PhD in Materials Engineering at the University of Virginia, Charlottesville
VO: [Critically peruses my I-20 while I stare at him like one mumu girl and then he exclaims...] Wow! You got a full package from UVA! UVA is a great school. I am so excited for you and I can imagine you can't wait to start! Wow! This is nice! Are you excited?
Me: Yes, I am. Thank you. [At this point, I was just too shocked because it was not kind of interview I have been hearing about on here. I expected those their standard questions, which I had ready answers for]
VO: [Types and stares at his screen...] Honestly, everything looks perfect..... [Hands me white paper]. Enjoy Your studies!

End of interview that did not feel like interview. After all my prepped-up answers sad wink grin

Anyways, thanks guys and ladies. You guys have been of immense help on this thread and on the GRE thread. I try my best to help out to the best of my ability. I wish everyone success in their interviews.

VOs are stunned by great schools. Sometimes those low ranking schools are escape route for people. So he was truly impressed as I am too. I guess you must be lecturing in a University. Congratulations and goodluck.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by 234ng44uk(m): 3:54pm On May 19, 2017
Congratulations drhopeful. But I'm not surprised. You secured a fully funded admission to a highly ranked university, a feat even the VO couldn't achieve. Abeg it's not beans.
Btw, I'm looking at PhD Materials Engineering for Fall 2018. I've sent you a PM.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by ToluexCA(m): 3:55pm On May 19, 2017
gaviria:

So you're saying I should just answer the first question without the story. And I can put the other part when I'm asked "Why this school?".

exactly bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Mac2016(m): 3:58pm On May 19, 2017
If I secure F-1 visa using an I20 given to me by a school but I want to opt for another school now because there is no funding from the first school. Would my visa still be valid to enter the US?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 3:59pm On May 19, 2017
Congratulations maa'm
drhopeful:
I am for real oh! I no be ghost. Lol. Thanks!

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Tunnyz(m): 4:05pm On May 19, 2017
Mac2016:
If I secure F-1 visa using an I20 given to me by a school but I want to opt for another school now because there is no funding from the first school. Would my visa still be valid to enter the US?
To avoid story that touches it's best you enter the US with the i20 of the school stamped on ur visa and when u get to the US you can transfer to another school. My 2cent!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by drhopeful: 4:17pm On May 19, 2017
Time2Smile:

Congratulations, but it was never in doubt, was it?
This my friend has come again oh! What name will you give me now? If visa approval was never in doubt, I no for go interview. grin tongue

Anyway, I am still praying for you and scholastica. Thanks for your support and encouragement.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by sobastical: 4:19pm On May 19, 2017
drhopeful:
I no sabi oh my brother. I guess it was my lucky day. Lol. Thanks.

That man can be so mean, I was once his victim too... God bless your new adventure

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by obaxlove(m): 4:24pm On May 19, 2017
Can anyone help with schools in USA that come with funding either MSc or PhD
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by happyday: 4:33pm On May 19, 2017
You already passed the interviews while applying to schools. Getting a fully-funded offer from a prestigious program is no beans. Congrats Ma.

drhopeful:

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by joeluv: 4:35pm On May 19, 2017
Wow. Congrats. That's a very good school.
drhopeful:

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by electronic(m): 4:47pm On May 19, 2017
mecigr8s:
Firstly, I want to appreciate the Almighty GOD for giving an individual, Seun Osewa, a thought to create an informative forum like this,Nairaland. My big thank you also goes to GUNTHER6 for opening my eyes to the schooling opportunities in the U.S. I never knew until I met him ,through Nairaland. We later met at Iyana-Ipaja in July last year when he was to help me with a GRE voucher. Actually, I wanted to write the GRE in order to meet up with the requirement of FH Aachen, a university in Germany. I had the intention of schooling in Germany before GUNTHER6 made me to understand I could spend less , in U.S, if offered a Graduate Assistantship with a monthly stipend. ). GRE score is 301( Q 152, Verb 149, AWA 3.5) after I wrote it again; while I had a score of 87 in my TOEFL .
Please, pardon me; an epistle it is!

Congrats
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by electronic(m): 4:49pm On May 19, 2017
drhopeful:

Congrats!!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by temmitats(f): 5:13pm On May 19, 2017
drhopeful:

Congratulations Ma, I've been following your story from the Gre thread, I'm so happy for you smiley

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Teedawg: 5:36pm On May 19, 2017
visa approvals man everywhere man !!! I feel like canceling my own and reapply again grin congrats to you all !! wish other applicants well!!

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by sobastical: 5:53pm On May 19, 2017
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Abeg oo
Teedawg:
visa approvals man everywhere man !!! I feel like canceling my own and reapply again grin congrats to you all !! wish other applicants well!!

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by djmakson(m): 5:58pm On May 19, 2017
@ okusi: Your verification response was received by WES yesterday and your transcript is currently under review. You should hear from them pretty soon.

@ gboroko: WES sent both email and a regular mail to your school registrar on April 25th. Ask whoever is in charge to check and respond to any email from WES on that date. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Bukiemarian: 6:03pm On May 19, 2017
Good evening my people,
please, I need input from you and a sincere one.
last August, I was at the embassy with MS admit from Devry university but was delayed, same in october 13th. My detail is, HND Electrical Engineering and Bsc. Physics, I was 32 then and single, working in a commercial bank as information technology officer and the course is Masters in Network and Communication Management with focus on project management. My transcript goes thus...
August 30th

a chinese lady (VO): good morning
me: good morning
VO: pass me your passport and i20
me: obliged
VO: where do you work?
me: Bleep bank,
VO: what is your job role
me: Information technology analyst, supervising the activities of 3 states.
VO: who is your sponsor?
me: my uncle
VO: sorry, I wont be approving your visa.

October 13th

Me- good morning
VO- good morning, can i have your i20?
I passed it across
VO- I can see you were here before, do you know about the course?
Me- I told him its Master's in Network and Communication Management
VO- I won't be approving your visa, you may reapply.
I then asked him what is the problem exactly since I'm being refused on the same ground with the first time, he told me all the reasons are contained in the blue sheet of paper handled to me
Now, I have admission at WIU to pursue MS in Physics, my uncle died last November and I have my mom as my sponsor on my i20 from Western Illinois University I'm single at 33, the course is not related with my work experience, what advise can i get please? Classes start this august. I will so appreciate whoever can give a candid advise and guide. Thank you in anticipation

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Teedawg: 6:19pm On May 19, 2017
Bukiemarian:
Good evening my people,
last August, I was at the embassy with MS admit from Devry university but was delayed, same in october 13th. My detail is, HND Electrical Engineering and Bsc. Physics, I was 32 then and single, working in a commercial bank as information technology officer and the course is Masters in Network and Communication Management with focus on project management. My transcript goes thus...
August 30th

October 13th

Me- good morning
I passed it across
I then asked him what is the problem exactly since I'm being refused on the same ground with the first time, he told me all the reasons are contained in the blue sheet of paper handled to me
Now, I have admission at WIU to pursue MS in Physics, my uncle died last November and I have my mom as my sponsor on my i20 from Western Illinois University I'm single at 33, the course is not related with my work experience, what advise can i get please? Classes start this august. I will so appreciate whoever can give a candid advise and guide. Thank you in anticipation
which of the devry campuses first because there was a time I knew devry to be having some issues with accreditations or something or was it debt sef but they really had terrible ratings and reviews so It must have been a red flag school .
also now you're going for a different major and shows inconsistencies ( so now you have to explain why the change of course but at least its in line with your undergrad, why you actually didn't get approved for previous schools, how much knowledge do you have about this new school, are you currently working and where, your position at work and why you're going for the msc now (but you said your work experience is not related with your studies so of what importance is this MSC to you then what do you need it for and as you said at Age 33 sponsored by your mom) those are the kind of things you'll have to think about
from My POv at least.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by texrem(m): 6:28pm On May 19, 2017
donanod:
Oga @texrem, pls I just sent you a pm

Replied
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by towbaynah(m): 7:17pm On May 19, 2017
drhopeful:

Wow. Congrats, ma'am!

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 7:59pm On May 19, 2017
house good evening, when I was denied visa last year in the DS 160 form then my father was in Nigeria ,but he travelled February this year and he is still there cos he has a green card , but my confusion is that my parents are
not married so I know just little about him and the state he stays in USA , so am I still suppose to fill he is in Nigeria or USA pls I need help ?

secondly I learnt the VO don't grant Visa for students with nursing admission how true is this please ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by ToluexCA(m): 8:11pm On May 19, 2017
mamapee2017:
house good evening, when I was denied visa last year in the DS 160 form then my father was in Nigeria ,but he travelled February this year and he is still there cos he has a green card , but my confusion is that my parents are
not married so I know just little about him and the state he stays in USA , so am I still suppose to fill he is in Nigeria or USA pls I need help ?

secondly I learnt the VO don't grant Visa for students with nursing admission how true is this please ?

ask him which state he stays! he's in USA yet you want to fill Nigeria, it can cause a serious immigration problem for you.. and make sure you state that he's a Green card go holder.

And the VO can give visa for any course in as much as your intent is clear why not?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 8:12pm On May 19, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Regarding work . YES NYSC is work experience as well so if at the time of interview you are doing NYSC then where u are is the same as where you are working

Thanks a lot bro .. I appreciate
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Ardedaryor(m): 8:13pm On May 19, 2017
mecigr8s:
Firstly, I want to appreciate the Almighty GOD for giving an individual, Seun Osewa, a thought to create an informative forum like this,Nairaland
Happy. For you Bro smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by greenhill: 8:26pm On May 19, 2017
Hello... Please, I am going in for my interview in a week. Can I get some people who will be willing to offer mock interviews?
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by seeker88(m): 8:53pm On May 19, 2017
drhopeful:

Your Visa, Osinachi! Congrats dear....wishing u a safe trip to TrumpLand. grin

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by segunojo866: 9:03pm On May 19, 2017
Bukiemarian:
Good evening my people,
August 30th

October 13th

Me- good morning
I passed it across
Your case may be as a result of your school or maybe you make some contradicting mistakes on your ds_160 form. However, u stand a good chance now after applying to a new school but please i will strongly advice to attend d US Educationcenter orientation every wednesday at d US embassy. U will be able to talk 2 a US consular and your situation will address.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by damselnikky: 9:14pm On May 19, 2017
chimsimdindu:

Is it possible to get F1 Visa for community college?

Yes you can. But, there’s a trick to that. I will explain that with two examples.

In this article, you can read two F1 Visa interview experience for Community College. Then, you can read why one student got F1 visa, and other got rejected.

F1 Visa for Community College – Rejected

I was denied my F1 visa
Here’s my background:

I am a high school graduate, and I was accepted into Foothill College (2-year transfer community college) in California. The Visa Officer, during my interview, asked me two questions about the college. Here’re the questions and answers:

1) How did you hear about Foothill?

The college was mentioned during a college spotlight at school by my college counsellor.

2) Why Foothill College?

The fees are comparatively more economical as compared to the other college I was accepted into(i.e., Florida Inst. Of Tech.). Another reason is that Foothill has an excellent transfer program to the University of California schools.

3) Do you have anybody in the U.S?

No.

After the third question, visa officer denied my visa stating that he found me to be a non-credible student and issued me the 214(b).

F1 Visa for Community College – Approved
Here’s another student who got his F1 Visa sharing his experience.

I have received five years F1 visa for a community college (Pierce College) in Los Angeles. Here’s how?

I applied in January, but I got rejected.

Reason. I could not convince the VO why I am selecting a community college over a university. They need a solid proof.

I applied again in July of the same year, and I got my visa.

I took the course curriculum with me telling them what’s the main reason for community college and what exactly am gonna do. Same classes at university were at community college but at four times the price of community college.

So, I explained the VO why should I pay more for same classes when I can cover them at much affordable price plus how flexible is a community college.

I got my visa and I am typing this sitting from LA. I did some mistakes but not I am on track again. I am transferring to UCLA, and I would recommend everybody “stay honest to yourself” and “Be confident” good wishes from LA.

Visa officers expect students were going to community college to tell them their plans to transfer to 4-year college. You have to make this argument to get F1 Visa for attending the community college. If you can’t convince your visa officer, then you can’t get the visa.

Now, you know the trick. It’s time to save some money by studying first two years in a community college and then transfer to the 4-year university.
COPIED.

Thanks for this fantastic response. But what if i intend coming back to the country after the associate degree in a community school? Can i tell the interviewer dat? Maybe say i choose a community school because I can only apply for 2 years study leave in my work place, I intend to go back to my company afterwards then apply for a professional course in the same field. Do I have to tell him that i want to transfer when i dnt intend to? or talk bout the affordability?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by segunojo866: 9:18pm On May 19, 2017
damselnikky:

Thanks for this fantastic response. But what if i intend coming back to the country after the associate degree in a community school? Can i tell the interviewer dat? Maybe say i choose a community school because I can only apply for 2 years study leave in my work place, I intend to go back to my company afterwards then apply for a professional course in the same field. Do I have to tell him that i want to transfer when i dnt intend to? or talk bout the affordability?
apply to a top school and dnt waste your time with community college. Ur chances are less than 50 per cent
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by segunojo866: 9:22pm On May 19, 2017
damselnikky:

they so many top schools in america . Why settle for a community college. Apply to a top university and after getting ur visa transfer to any community college of your choice.

(1) (2) (3) ... (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) ... (409)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.