Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,722 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:55 PM

Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ (34256 Views)

Drone Shot Of Adeleke University At Night And In The Day Time (photos) / Experiencing University Of Ibadan At Night (Pictures) / A Pupil Was Asked To Name 3 Animals That Move At Night. See The Answer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by doskie(m): 9:40am On Jan 23, 2017
What about for night? As in... Omamiro jump backyard fence take escape house for night.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by femliany(m): 9:42am On Jan 23, 2017
Phi001:
What about in Ikeja and At Ikeja? tongue
AT is used for a city or town but IN is used for a country or a state

8 Likes

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by kido24(m): 9:44am On Jan 23, 2017
Nice one
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Osheku: 9:44am On Jan 23, 2017
Great, I learnt something new today.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by busar(m): 9:46am On Jan 23, 2017
This will be of benefits

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by chelseabmw(m): 9:48am On Jan 23, 2017
Lovely piece

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Nobody: 9:50am On Jan 23, 2017
ademilan:
Are u d new English teacher? Yes I are
Hahahahaha, the fate of his students in external exams will be pathetic.

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Tolupage(m): 9:55am On Jan 23, 2017
kinda looks true but will u say "I'll see u at night fall " is wrong?
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by chiefojiji(m): 9:59am On Jan 23, 2017
English inventor is a bastard!

imagine a classmate received a phone call ;
caller; where are you?
classmate : I am at. class.
#iwept

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by vanhut2020(m): 10:03am On Jan 23, 2017
Please help me check if there is light in the oza room.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by uju22(f): 10:06am On Jan 23, 2017
Thank you nice one

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Austin234(m): 10:09am On Jan 23, 2017
Well understood. Thank u, my English teacher

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by freddurst: 10:09am On Jan 23, 2017
Benyinka:
Ever been in a situation where both ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ seemed correct but you knew only one of them was appropriate? Or you knew which of them to use but couldn’t say why? Well, we’ve all been there at some point.

For the record, ‘night’ in this context is the dark part of every 24-hour period.

Now, this is the simple answer we’ve tried to figure out:

In the night

We use ‘in the night’ when we refer to a particular point during the night—a short time, not throughout the night.

Examples:

1. He called me three times in the night just to make sure I was fine.
2. He let out a terrifying scream in the night.
3. We didn’t know what to do, so we decided to tell him in the night.
4. I watched two episodes of Strike Back in the night.

At night

This is the expression we use when we talk about something that happens all of the night, not for a short time.

Examples:

1. He slept during the day and guarded the castle at night.
2. Can the sun replace the moon at night?
3. I usually study at night when my exams are only two days away.
4. How difficult is it to sleep at night?

To recap, ‘in the night’ means ‘only for a short time during the night’, while ‘at night’ means ‘throughout the night’.
Thanks Sire, Nice 1

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Adebanjids1(m): 10:11am On Jan 23, 2017
Benyinka:
Ever been in...as used by OP

Can someone help please is it "Ever been or Ever being?"

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Andrew2016(m): 10:13am On Jan 23, 2017
Now i know. Thanks alot.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by rebirthiix: 10:21am On Jan 23, 2017
Nice one Op

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by professore(m): 10:23am On Jan 23, 2017
Thanks op

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by rebirthiix: 10:23am On Jan 23, 2017
deepwater:
What about "FOR NIGHT"

Example: The babe come my house for might

grin
lol

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by docjuli(m): 10:25am On Jan 23, 2017
sKeetz:
Pls if you get to know of anyone selling his/her car. Any model and any color. In good condition with all the documents valid and legal, and the price is between 750k and 1.500m Please let him/her sell it. I am not interested.
Thanks.

lol
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Nobody: 10:27am On Jan 23, 2017
Benyinka:
Ever been in a situation where both ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ seemed correct but you knew only one of them was appropriate? Or you knew which of them to use but couldn’t say why? Well, we’ve all been there at some point.

For the record, ‘night’ in this context is the dark part of every 24-hour period.

In the night

We use ‘in the night’ when we refer to a particular point during the night—a short time, not throughout the night.

Examples:

At night

This is the expression we use when we talk about something that happens all of the night, not for a short time.

Examples:

To recap, ‘in the night’ means ‘only for a short time during the night’, while ‘at night’ means ‘throughout the night’.
I sent u a pm, sir.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by echike(m): 10:39am On Jan 23, 2017
addizzle:
Nice one...learnt something new....I ate at nyt....ate u?? grin

yawn, no wonder i am very tired this morning. lets repeat it again today.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by THANKSGIVING17: 10:41am On Jan 23, 2017
Adebanjids1:

Can someone help please is it "Ever been or Ever being?"

Ever been used by op is actually correct
Note :u use 'been' with have and has buh u make use of 'being' with 'is'

The op meant "Have u ever been in a situation ................"

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by grafixdon: 10:45am On Jan 23, 2017
Benyinka:

In the night

Examples:

At night

Examples:

Can you please drop your email, I've something very important to discuss with you.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by slysteel: 11:04am On Jan 23, 2017
sKeetz:
Pls if you get to know of anyone selling his/her car. Any model and any color. In good condition with all the documents valid and legal, and the price is between 750k and 1.500m Please let him/her sell it. I am not interested.
Thanks.
Mumu children everywhere.
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Adek15(m): 11:06am On Jan 23, 2017
This is why I joined nairaland...

Thanks op

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by femi4: 11:13am On Jan 23, 2017
Phi001:

Wait... Lemme rephrase my question.

What's the answer to 'Where are you (at)?'

(A) I'm in Ikeja (B) I'm at Ikeja
The difference between 'at' and 'in' is that you use "in" when entering a physical location. E.g

In the building
In the mall
In classroom.

So you can have: I m IN the office AT Ikeja

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by femi4: 11:15am On Jan 23, 2017
deepwater:
What about "FOR NIGHT"

Example: The babe come my house for might

grin
babe....I want you tonight

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Danfuster(m): 11:21am On Jan 23, 2017
Tastemoney:

"In Ikeja" is the correct phrase

So then it's safe to inquire Phi001 coordinate by saying "where are you in?"... Right!

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Nobody: 11:23am On Jan 23, 2017
femliany:
AT is used for a city or town but IN is used for a country or a state
Eg: I live at London. lol
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by bollify(m): 11:25am On Jan 23, 2017
Phi001:

Wait... Lemme rephrase my question.

What's the answer to 'Where are you (at)?'

(A) I'm in Ikeja (B) I'm at Ikeja

In your case, 'in' is the correct preposition. Because Ikeja is a popular city.

'in' is used when you refer to a country or a popular city. Whereas, when referring to a less known place, you use at.
An exemption to this rule however, is, if you were going to a particular place and you take a stop at another, even if it's a country, you use 'at'. For example, on my way to Benin, we stopped at Ibadan for lunch.
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by tukdi: 11:25am On Jan 23, 2017
Sincere4u:
Thanks a lot for this OP.
English and maths used to be two of my favourite subjects as a student.
Whereas i practised maths regularly to maintain an A+, i hardly pick any book to study English in preparing for any Exam yet it often tops my scores among other subjects.
These days, many years since graduation, the story has changed so drastically as both my spoken and written English has have nosedived!.
Today spelling mistakes no be here.

You still have to work on your oral and verbal English sha!

undecided

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by bollify(m): 11:28am On Jan 23, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:

Eg: I live at London. lol

This is wrong.

'in' is the correct preposition

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years / 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today / Jamb Utme Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.