Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,522 members, 7,819,880 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ (34283 Views)

Drone Shot Of Adeleke University At Night And In The Day Time (photos) / Experiencing University Of Ibadan At Night (Pictures) / A Pupil Was Asked To Name 3 Animals That Move At Night. See The Answer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Spidermon: 11:30am On Jan 23, 2017
Nice thread.

Unlike the garbage we see regularly on the frontpage

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Nobody: 11:36am On Jan 23, 2017
bollify:

This is wrong.
'in' is the correct preposition
Yea, I was only highlighting the weakness in your formula
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by destiny4life: 11:36am On Jan 23, 2017
Get a mathematics home tutor for your child call 07033283584
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Danfuster(m): 11:39am On Jan 23, 2017
ademilan:
Are u d new English teacher? Yes I are

Lmao... That Teacher must be Yoda grin

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by thunderbabs: 11:43am On Jan 23, 2017
Phi001:
What about in Ikeja and At Ikeja? tongue

You no do verbal Reasoning for your primary school....

Just look at the examples of ''in the night'' and ''at night'' and apply sense.

Shikena
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Danfuster(m): 11:56am On Jan 23, 2017
Benyinka:
Ever been in a situation where both ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ seemed correct but you knew only one of them was appropriate? Or you knew which of them to use but couldn’t say why? Well, we’ve all been there at some point.

I have a Lil something for you OP. I've e always argued that English is a lot complex than Math but ain't no body listen. I'll choose Math anyday tho.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Phi001(m): 11:56am On Jan 23, 2017
thunderbabs:

You no do verbal Reasoning for your primary school....

Just look at the examples of ''in the night'' and ''at night'' and apply sense.

Shikena
The use of prepositions with time is different from their use with place...
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by bollify(m): 11:56am On Jan 23, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:

Yea, I was only highlighting the weakness in your formula

In my formula? Maybe you didn't read my submission.
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Nobody: 11:57am On Jan 23, 2017
I enter Iya Basira room at night

I enter Iya Basira room in the night

I enter Iya Basira room for night

All join

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Nobody: 11:59am On Jan 23, 2017
bollify:

In my formula? Maybe you didn't read my submission.
Not your formula. The guy I quoted
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by benileo: 11:59am On Jan 23, 2017
Please what about "On the bus" and "in the bus" which is correct?
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by zinny377(f): 12:05pm On Jan 23, 2017
Weldone op...we need more of threads like this and not celebrities in bikinis, snakes, mmm...etc

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by bollify(m): 12:05pm On Jan 23, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:

Not your formula. The guy I quoted

I get you now.
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Harwoyeez(m): 12:24pm On Jan 23, 2017
Yinka, include the link to your blog in your write ups.kudos man from your ASS friend
To recap, ‘in the night’ means ‘only for a short time during the night’, while ‘at night’ means ‘throughout the night’.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Emeskhalifa(m): 12:29pm On Jan 23, 2017
Thanks op. I really wish i would get someone to explain plain the difference between have and has to me.
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jan 23, 2017
tukdi:

You still have to work on your oral and verbal English sha!

undecided
lol
I don't miss those technicalities in exams. That was because i used "and" in my statement. wink

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Baba4dgals: 12:50pm On Jan 23, 2017
Phi001:
At ikeja means u reside there while In ikeja means mayb u go for a visit or spending a short period of time there
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Joettti: 12:51pm On Jan 23, 2017
Hmmmmmmm??

sKeetz:
Pls if you get to know of anyone selling his/her car. Any model and any color. In good condition with all the documents
valid and legal, and the price is between 750k and 1.500m Please let him/her sell it. I am not interested.
Thanks.
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by addizzle(f): 2:05pm On Jan 23, 2017
echike:

yawn, no wonder i am very tired this morning. lets repeat it again today.
grin repeat wat again??

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Benyinka(m): 2:13pm On Jan 23, 2017
Phi001:
When we talk about a larger area enclosing other specific locations, we use 'in'. 'In Ikeja' is appropriate.
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Benyinka(m): 2:16pm On Jan 23, 2017
Afam4eva:
is "On the night" correct?
It is not.
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Benyinka(m): 2:30pm On Jan 23, 2017
Adebanjids1:

Can someone help please is it "Ever been or Ever being?"
'Ever been' is correct. The complete expression would be 'Have you ever been'. 'Been' is used with have, has, had, while 'being' is used with is, was, are... Thank you.

You can check simplified explanation here: http://englishnaija.com/been-and-being/
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Benyinka(m): 2:33pm On Jan 23, 2017
grafixdon:

Can you please drop your email, I've something very important to discuss with you.
steup4mi@yahoo.com
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Benyinka(m): 2:38pm On Jan 23, 2017
benileo:
Please what about "On the bus" and "in the bus" which is correct?
'On the bus' is correct, but we say 'in the car'. We use 'on' for a larger form of transportation where there is room to move around (bus, train).

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by tukdi: 2:40pm On Jan 23, 2017
Sincere4u:
lol
cool
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Benyinka(m): 2:44pm On Jan 23, 2017
Emeskhalifa:
Thanks op. I really wish i would get someone to explain plain the difference between have and has to me.
'Has' is used with singular noun or pronoun (He has, Khalifa has, the teacher has) while 'have' is used with their plural forms (they have, the players have, you have).

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by femliany(m): 2:48pm On Jan 23, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:

Eg: I live at London. lol
good student....lol
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Benyinka(m): 2:50pm On Jan 23, 2017
Blacklister:
I sent u a pm, sir.
Sorry, not seen. My mail is steup4mi@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Benyinka(m): 2:52pm On Jan 23, 2017
Harwoyeez:
Yinka, include the link to your blog in your write ups.kudos man from your ASS friend
To recap, ‘in the night’ means ‘only for a short time during the night’, while ‘at night’ means ‘throughout the night’.
Respect! Thank you...
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Benyinka(m): 3:01pm On Jan 23, 2017
Benyinka:
Ever been in a situation where both ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ seemed correct but you knew only one of them was appropriate? Or you knew which of them to use but couldn’t say why? Well, we’ve all been there at some point.

For the record, ‘night’ in this context is the dark part of every 24-hour period.

Now, this is the simple answer we’ve tried to figure out:

In the night

We use ‘in the night’ when we refer to a particular point during the night—a short time, not throughout the night.

Examples:

1. He called me three times in the night just to make sure I was fine.
2. He let out a terrifying scream in the night.
3. We didn’t know what to do, so we decided to tell him in the night.
4. I watched two episodes of Strike Back in the night.

At night

This is the expression we use when we talk about something that happens all of the night, not for a short time.

Examples:

1. He slept during the day and guarded the castle at night.
2. Can the sun replace the moon at night?
3. I usually study at night when my exams are only two days away.
4. How difficult is it to sleep at night?

To recap, ‘in the night’ means ‘only for a short time during the night’, while ‘at night’ means ‘throughout the night’.

http://englishnaija.com/
Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by fosch: 3:55pm On Jan 23, 2017
Thanks for this. Pls Nairaland we need more of this than some non educative stuffs.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ by Emeskhalifa(m): 6:04pm On Jan 23, 2017
Benyinka:
'Has' is used with singular noun or pronoun (He has, Khalifa has, the teacher has) while 'have' is used with their plural forms (they have, the players have, you have).
Thanks.
But pls check this sentence for me.
1. He should had rehearsed before he came to the show.
2. He should have rehearsed before he comes to the show.
Pls wch of them is correct. Thanks in advance

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today / Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years / ABSU Lecturer Proposes To Student In Lecture Hall On Valentine's Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.