Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,821 members, 7,817,395 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:29 AM

Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online (27317 Views)

Never Put These 5 Things On Your CV When Applying For A Job In Nigeria / I Mistakenly Sent An Unupdated CV When Applying For A Job (Advice Needed) / Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by EvangelistNdudi(m): 7:12am On Jan 24, 2017
maxwell767:
@ Op.. Nice write up

But let me draw ur attention to Number 9.

Am sure u are fully aware that the age u gained admission into tertiary education may not be the expected age u came out..

E.g gaining admission at the age of 20 year
Expecting to graduate after ur four years course at the age of 24, but came out at the age of 28 due to the Economic situation.

You talked about experience, let me ask u, how will one get experience if people like u don't give them the opportunity..

There are thousands of people who graduate from universities only to waste their skill which they acquired to some linier jobs...

E.g a doctor decided to go into petty trade

I read ur thread and I have to tell u that I am disappointed, why? Cause u make boast of ur self especially the one you threw cv's into the bin..

Has it ever occurred to u that those people might have a good potentials of which u can help them to find it.

And how are u sure that those ones that got it right wrote the CV's and cover letter themselves, and at the end of the interview u will be amazed by what u see.

Please don't be deceived by those so called great professionally written CV, what matters most is how the employees DELIVER!

this is a good point for those who can see beyond VC

Many of those CV are writing by professionals (that is where their income comes from)
So don't be deceive by a design CV that cannot bring development to your company
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by dingbang(m): 7:17am On Jan 24, 2017
I have a passion... My passion is to shame Nigerian hr staff..
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by olayinkaj2(m): 7:22am On Jan 24, 2017
maxwell767:
@ Op.. Nice write up

Am sure u are fully aware that the age u gained admission into tertiary education may not be the expected age u came out..

Expecting to graduate after ur four years course at the age of 24, but came out at the age of 28 due to the Economic situation.

You talked about experience, let me ask u, how will one get experience if people like u don't give them the opportunity..

There are thousands of people who graduate from universities only to waste their skill which they acquired to some linier jobs...

I read ur thread and I have to tell u that I am disappointed, why? Cause u make boast of ur self especially the one you threw cv's into the bin..

Has it ever occurred to u that those people might have a good potentials of which u can help them to find it.

And how are u sure that those ones that got it right wrote the CV's and cover letter themselves, and at the end of the interview u will be amazed by what u see.

Please don't be deceived by those so called great professionally written CV, what matters most is how the employees DELIVER!

. I agree with the point raised.

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Rank50: 7:23am On Jan 24, 2017
Thanks Op.. This is really enlightening,, can u tell me how a killer linkedln profile boost your chance & at which point in sending an email do u include it. "as an attached link or what?
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by fragilebeing: 7:24am On Jan 24, 2017
Jchi9876:
Please I have a very important question;

Can I write how many nairaland girls I have scatter their yanssssh in my resume when applying for jobs online?

How old are you?
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Georgeisco2007: 7:38am On Jan 24, 2017
maxwell767:
@ Op.. Nice write up

You have just made my day today, I don't know what is actually wrong with employers of nowadays. How can you throw someone's CV into the Bin without giving him or her chance to prove what he wrote there? We were told when we were growing up that the height of a man starts from the neck upwards and that every other thing is useless; therefore use your brain and we did. And now the brain is no longer in use to test someone's ability, it's now in CVs

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Jchi9876: 7:43am On Jan 24, 2017
fragilebeing:

How old are you?

Just 15years only
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by timilehin007(m): 8:05am On Jan 24, 2017
maxwell767:
@ Op.. Nice write up

respect

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by SwiftNation: 8:20am On Jan 24, 2017
maxwell767:
@ Op.. Nice write up

@bold, but something has to attract the employer. Employers no be God
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by charlesucheh(m): 8:23am On Jan 24, 2017
Instead of you to say you're looking for excuses to disqualify candidates, you're here preaching rubbish!!! Which one is don't forward CV's from previous mails"? Is the CV not want you want? Your central focus is suppose to be the CV and if you're not satisfied with the person's CV you can then do otherwise! WOBI! All you in advantaged positions looking for ways or allowing the devil to use you spoil another man's hope, all I can say to you is that, THERE's GOD!! HR OMO OLOSHI!!!
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by ebuclassic18(m): 8:32am On Jan 24, 2017
maxwell767:
@ Op.. Nice write up

bless you
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by ebuclassic18(m): 8:56am On Jan 24, 2017
Dharkchild:

Here is the thing. A cv is an advert telling the recruiter these are the skills you have and you have achieved this and that with it. Where you have not achieved anything, you must convince the recruiter you can full achieve their job role.

Potentials you mentioned on the contrary is what is within you. The recruiter had no internal Google search to see your spirit man and ascertain that you can fulfil the required duties.

It seems therefore your responsibility as a job seekers to convince the recruiter that you are indeed capable of handling the job citing were you have handled related roles or how and where you have gained skills that can help you handle the job.

Your cv is an important marketing tool. Sell yourself properly

Ps. It is not the job of the recruiter to help people find their skill, his wok is to hire people who can DELIVER or who have proven that when given a chance they would deliver

So your all about the paper's no wonder people lie, practical investigation is better than all this list, give people the chance to prove themselves what if your type of person is in every other organization or companies how do we get the experience to even add to our cv i think your juz practicing wickedness with the opportunity you have, becos people are begging for jobs these days if not you do your work yourself.
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Nobody: 8:57am On Jan 24, 2017
Op, I've worked in a gamehouse in the past. Can I also include dat in my CV? Like...

Success Game Centre

Thanks!
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Ezionye(f): 8:57am On Jan 24, 2017
dingbang:
I have a passion... My passion is to shame Nigerian hr staff..
cheesy

How do u want to to that?
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by ebuclassic18(m): 8:59am On Jan 24, 2017
So your all about the paper's no wonder people lie, practical investigation is better than all this list, give people the chance to prove themselves what if your type of person is in every other organization or companies how do we get the experience to even add to our cv i think your juz practicing wickedness with the opportunity you have, becos people are begging for jobs these days if not you do your work yourself.
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:06am On Jan 24, 2017
op your post is bigoted.
in naija they dont read CV & cover letter
they dont have time for that only have time to frolic bosses
you get employed in naija based on your physical appearance
if they dont like your face, you are strictly OYO
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by dingbang(m): 9:12am On Jan 24, 2017
Ezionye:
cheesy

How do u want to to that?
by having a meeting with all ceos in nigeria showing them videos of how recruitments are done globally...

Nigerian HR staff Are just too myopic... Not every recruitment should be conducted using exams... Telling people to travel all d wah down from pH to sambisa... For crying out loud advanced countries even handle recruitment through Skype!!!!!!!!! Damnnit.... For a job role let's say sales, its normally done by referral.... Not exam.. What are u testing? Are dey solving mathematics when selling? Nigerian Hr sha...
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by KhadLokun: 9:18am On Jan 24, 2017
The OP's make some point but rubbish the thread with his/her unnecessary pride and ego. HR are the laziest set of people on the employer payroll now a days. There were times in the past and still practice in developed country where the real HR will go to tertiary institutions to beg potential students to come and work for their organization, there at their school they even make enquires about their potentials trait and leadership skills.
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by cutestPat: 9:33am On Jan 24, 2017
Jchi9876:
Please I have a very important question;

Can I write how many nairaland girls I have scatter their yanssssh in my resume when applying for jobs online?

Mumu...Why are you here if I may asked.
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Dharkchild: 9:51am On Jan 24, 2017
ebuclassic18:

The thing is we have to be practical. You can't prove yourself unless you are given a chance. Your CV is your marketing tool to get that chance (inteview).

Then you can go ahead and show what you've got at the interview stage or on the job. But if you don't get the job how would you prove that you know what you know.

The truth is most people have more experience than they think they have. You don't have to lie. Example... Say I have been home for a year job hunting but in the process you go to my mums shop to help her sell tomatoes. I have to market, sell, resolve conflit, communicate. If her sales are higher as a result of my presence there, I can quantify it. Those skills are valuable and goes into our cv. Presentation matters a lot. Get yourself the interview and spill these numbers and stats when necessary and see if you wouldn't be called.

The truth is that you have a thousand people applying for the role of 5 people and your cv is your representative there. Make sure it represents you well.

Summary. Do what you have to do to get the opportunity to show the world that you know what you claim you know. A good CV is a starting point.
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by 1k001(m): 10:06am On Jan 24, 2017
I was surprised to see my post make front page. I'm glad more people will get to see it and hopefully improve their chances. I've read the negative responses to it and go respond to them individually. Let me first make some general points.

For virtually every job in Nigeria today there are at least 100 CV's that go in for it, often more. HR has to pick one person from 100. So make no mistake about it, they are looking for every reason to disqualify you. HR is not your father or mother, they have a job to do and don't have all the time in the world. So it's not about pride it's just fact. If your CV is bad, you don't give yourself a chance. Get a professional CV writer if you have to. Give yourself a chance.

Regarding hiring via CV's. Hiring itself is an imperfect act. You will never know if you got it right until months after. The hiring process is to reduce risks of getting it wrong. Which is why I personally prefer to hire from my network but people will say that is nepotism or preferential treatment. Employers just can't win.

For experience, I like to hire inexperienced people. But I don't like to hire lazy people. So if you spent 7 years in school instead of 4. What did you do with the extra 3 years? If i see someone who tried to be productive in that time I will take them over you who was sitting on your hands waiting for manna to fall from heaven.

So please see what hiring actually is, a lottery. Try and weight the odds in your favour by not giving the employer any reason to disqualify you. Ever wonder why they ask you sometimes to use a particular colour pen to fill a form. It is so they can disqualify the idiots or ITK that can't follow simple instruction.

Interviews are another kettle of fish altogether but stop doing yourself a disservice by having poor CV's. It's so easy to have a great CV if you put in a bit of effort. That's what a good CV signals, that you put in good effort to anything you do.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by sircrabo: 10:08am On Jan 24, 2017
It has become an offence for one to get an invite for an interview in Nigeria once you pass the age of 30. Let's say you graduated at 25, served your country for one year and later found yourself job hunting for up to 3 years. Does that mean the person's chance of ever being employed is slim ?considering the fact that employers of labor are on the search for people with up to 5 -10 yrs experience.

In the west, its skill/expertise and nothing else. In Nigeria, we think we know but actually, know little.

We hate ourselves more than the government hates us. A lot of graduates above the age of 30 ends as teachers, GNLD marketers ...

The senate needs to look into all these
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by oluspicy: 10:26am On Jan 24, 2017
Thanks bro for the info.

But let me tell you that some of those things you pointed out are based on your assumptions.

I've worked with an HR Manager who doesn't know how to use the correct Tenses in English or make a simple construction when sending emails to clients. I must be called to check and correct whatever she's sending.

Besides, I have seen university graduates with good grades who cannot defend their certificates. Imagine someone with Bsc. in English who cannot identify Modal Auxiliary Verbs or a graduate of Accountancy who cannot identify a Ledger or different Source Documents.

Someone can have a very good CV, but he or she productivity may be nothing good to write about.

Enough of this CVs brouhaha!

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by sirbiolee(m): 10:29am On Jan 24, 2017
Good or Bad C.V... We all knw dat All Blessing is frm God.. #..Alubarika lo'ju
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Airee: 10:51am On Jan 24, 2017
No 5 I don't get it!
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by mack111(m): 3:14pm On Jan 24, 2017
10. Be looking for connection as well...

Please post how do I write a cv to apply for connection.

Do people still get jobs of a very fat salary based on a well written cv in Nigeria? Cos I don't know of anyone who has. My cousin who works in grand oak ltd; connection, my friend serving in Nigeria custom; connection, my friend working in a bank; Bsc in mcb, connection. My friend working as a PA to a LGA chairman; connection. My friend working in NNPC as a security man gate man; connection.............. Mtcheeeew, Cv indeed!

Anyway nice write up.

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jan 24, 2017
taken sir
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by kunleben1: 3:54pm On Jan 24, 2017
maxwell767:
@ Op.. Nice write up

Don't mind this mumu hr who is rather happier throwing cvs to the bin. He is such a lazy one. I'm an advocate of a good cv but ds guys shd just stop painting it as if it's an end in itself.
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by 1k001(m): 6:46pm On Jan 24, 2017
maxwell767:
@ Op.. Nice write up

I see this post has gotten over 100 likes so it should be responded to.

First, let me preface this by saying I only ever employ young or fresh graduates. They are easier to train and eager to work, generally speaking.

When I refer to experience, I mean what did you do with your time when you didn't need to do anything. That is a key marker for a hard worker. For every fresh grad I employed, they either volunteered with their time or did a particular business. This needs to reflect in a CV. If it doesn't, those that reflect it in their CV will get the position before those that don't.

Regarding throwing CV's in the bin, that is just the reality, not pride or boasting. The main goal of a business is to make money, recruiting is a distraction, albeit a necessary one. So when I put up an ad for a position, and get over 100 CV's for one position, the fact is I don't have time. I need to find a way to quickly sort out the lazy and unserious people. The easiest way (not necessarily the most accurate) include some of the tips above. No recruiter will go through 100 CV's in depth just for one position. Recruiting is by its nature discriminatory as not everyone will end up with the job.

As regard potential, I'm open to cultivating promising people. However, if a CV cannot simply demonstrate why I should put the effort into them then why should I bother. I'm not their mother or father who is supposed to encourage them at every turn. A CV is the first step, then of course, there's an interview which is even more important. A CV, however, is the first impression, it needs to count otherwise no hope of an interview. No recruiter will interview 100 people for one position.

Even after a great hiring process, an employee may not deliver. It is always hard to predict who will. The CV, interview process is annoying and discriminatory but it's the best we have so everyone needs to learn how to optimize it for themselves. The purpose of writing this post in the first place was to help people be better. Many recruiters don't give feedback, I've tried to. Let who finds it useful use it accordingly.
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by 1k001(m): 6:50pm On Jan 24, 2017
bobo65:
OP ur criteria too much jare

After everythin, u guys will now be paying d graduate 40k

If these simple things are hard, how does the graduate hope to deliver in a demanding job?

Graduates are getting 40k because business and country is hard. When you prove your value to the business they will increase your salary or another company will see your value and snap you away quickly.

Sitting on one's hands waiting for 200k job while doing nothing will get the person nowhere.
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by 1k001(m): 6:55pm On Jan 24, 2017
KINGTELLER:
naa wao.. All these epistles because ofjob. That is why employers employ liars rather than skillful and gifted individuals, because someone wants to impress one lucky HR personnel who finds himself or herself in a position of authority, he twist his cv to get attention ... HR should champion their selective skills to fight for the good benefits of their employees rather than antagonize job seekers cv. The best HR dont look at your cv to invite you for interview take a good look at P&G company and other multinational firms. instead they send you a job related questionnaire/scenario and judge your performance based on your response (Your scores are automated)

I'm sorry this is not an epistle, it's actually quite simple really and plenty of people are doing it already. I know because I see it and I hire them. Not every company has big budgets for hiring like the multinationals and even they still get it wrong. Hiring is imperfect, we do what we can to try get the best candidates. That includes CV, aptitude testing, interview etc. People just need to know how to present themselves appropriately, not sell themselves short. I'm only trying to help.
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by 1k001(m): 7:00pm On Jan 24, 2017
eitch:
I could have wholly agreed with you but for a few reasons like:
Most online applications don't sound like doing all these

You really encouraging putting in pseudo skills? Those kind of things i believe could get you embarrassed if you're called for an interview and you're asked to defend your claims

and lastly, all these sound like theories. They really guarantee nothing, so why should i spin my already overworked brain due to being jobless after school on writing applications to (how sure am i it's not even gnld) companies i'm almost sure only advertised vacancies for doing sake

Your brain is overworked doing what? Please don't insult yourself. Your brain is capable of the most amazing things once a bit of will is applied.

I don't encourage pseudo-skills. What I said is create the perfect CV for your field and work towards it so that you will become the ideal candidate. When you eventually present the ideal CV you will have all the competencies within it.

Nothing is guaranteed in life but certain actions make certain outcomes more likely. I'm only trying to help so you may take it or leave it, it's entirely up to you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka / Can I Survive On CFA 90,000 Teaching Job In Cote D'ivoire? / Festus Keyamo Reveals Number Of Nigerians Employed Under APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.