Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,016 members, 7,814,467 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:23 PM

Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History (33868 Views)

MenzGold: 15 Persons Die As Ponzi Scheme Crashes In Ghana / SARS Arrest Woman Who Opened Ponzi Scheme In Awka After The Scheme Crashed(pics) / The Man: Charles Ponzi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by Smooyis(m): 12:03am On Mar 14, 2017
No wonder
Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by comradesoso: 12:03am On Mar 14, 2017
The greatest scam artist in history has made me some cool cash. grin
Wow a scammer made me a thousandnaire

1 Like

Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by masterP042(m): 12:04am On Mar 14, 2017
Mtcheew
Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by Adebayolove(m): 12:05am On Mar 14, 2017
Greed is as old as the human race.
Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by EWAagoyin(m): 12:05am On Mar 14, 2017
hmmmm

so no be today sef he start....
Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by Allylic(f): 12:05am On Mar 14, 2017
Hmmmm....
Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by pazienza(m): 12:33am On Mar 14, 2017
pansophist:
This reminds me of the movie called matrix. That people will fight and even defend a system that will destroy them at the end. Humans have proven to be idiots who learn from experience.

Reminds me of people defending a colonial entity like Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by yinkslinks(m): 12:36am On Mar 14, 2017
chuzydon:
Charles Ponzi, born Carlo Ponzi (March 3, 1882 – January 18, 1949), was an Italian swindler and con artist in the U.S. and Canada. His aliases include Charles Ponci, Carlo, and Charles P. Bianchi.Born and raised in Italy, he became known in the early 1920s as a swindler in North America for his money-making scheme. He promised clients a 50% profit within 45 days, or 100% profit within 90 days, by buying discounted postal reply coupons in other countries and redeeming them at face value in the United States as a form of arbitrage. In reality, Ponzi was paying early investors using the investments of later investors. While this swindle predated Ponzi by several years, it became so identified with him that it now bears his name. His scheme ran for over a year before it collapsed, costing his "investors" $20 million($220million in todays money).

Ponzi may have been inspired by the scheme of William F. Miller, a Brooklyn bookkeeper who in 1899 used the same scheme to take in $1 million.In addition, "The Man Who Broke the Bank at Monte Carlo", Charles Deville Wells, had operated a very similar scheme in France in 1910-11, when—under the alias ″Lucien Rivier″—he had set up a phony bank, to the detriment of his 6,000 victims.

Coming to America

The details of the infamous swindler Charles Ponzi's early life are difficult to verify. It is believed, however, that he was born Carlo Ponzi in Parma, Italy, and attended the University of Rome La Sapienza.

Ponzi arrived in Boston in November 1903 aboard the S.S. Vancouver. He later told the New York Times that he gambled away most of his money on the voyage to America. "I landed in this country with $2.50 in cash and $1 million in hopes, and those hopes never left me." The young immigrant’s charisma and confidence would help him pull off one of the greatest financial schemes in history.

Early Scams

Ponzi started out working odd jobs, including as a dishwasher in a restaurant. In 1907, he moved to Montreal, where he found a job as a teller at Bank Zarossi. The bank was formed to cater to the new Italian immigrant population, charging high interest rates.

When Bank Zarossi went bankrupt because of bad loans, Ponzi was left penniless. He was sentenced to three years in a Quebec prison after he was caught forging a bad check. Rather than tell his mother in Italy that he was in prison, he wrote to her in a letter that he was working at a Canadian prison.

When he was released from jail, Ponzi got involved in yet another criminal venture, smuggling Italian immigrants across the border into the United States. This too landed him in jail—he spent two years behind bars in Atlanta.
Do you and seun understand the difference btw ponzi and peer to peer donations? You guys don't sleep anymore cus of hate grin grin grin grin grin grin Jobless beings
Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by yinkslinks(m): 12:37am On Mar 14, 2017
pazienza:

Reminds me of people defending a colonial entity like Nigeria.
Isrealites are here

1 Like

Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by yinkslinks(m): 12:39am On Mar 14, 2017
comradesoso:
The greatest scam artist in history has made me some cool cash. grin
Wow a scammer made me a thousandnaire
Abi ooooooo! let seun keep hating.soon he will get what he deserved.
Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by pazienza(m): 12:40am On Mar 14, 2017
yinkslinks:
Isrealites are here

And here is one of them.

1 Like

Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by Idrismusty97(m): 12:43am On Mar 14, 2017
Abeg which new one don lauch? Forget all these people claiming smart, the real smart ones obviously are the ones making money.

1 Like

Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by lonelydora: 12:59am On Mar 14, 2017
So it's not today this thing started. Even in prison he was still lying to his mother.
Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by morganwizzy55(m): 1:30am On Mar 14, 2017
I thought we had these noise makers that use to defraud innocent people called yahoozee. only one Russian dude defrauded both the politicians, banker, pastors, yahoo boys, governor n uncountable business men. all these idiot that use to send me that my ATM has been block due to bvn problem that I should contact that useless pastor James. he should better wake up or go learn work from ponzi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by BlackOnassis(m): 1:33am On Mar 14, 2017
Somebory pls close d thread. Nigerians are already criminal-minded, they dont need more ideas.
Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by HyDef(m): 1:41am On Mar 14, 2017
You can read about George C. Parker as well. The genius con artist who was able to sell multiple people the Brooklyn Bridge, as well as other public property like Madison Square Garden and the freaking Statue of Liberty.
Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by ruggedtimi(m): 1:44am On Mar 14, 2017
I was sitting beside this lady in a bus...was able to spy on her phone why she was operating it, i saw like 8groups on her whatsapp with ponzi scheme tagged names like cashflow,money triangle...etc. Whats happening to us?

2 Likes

Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by iluvpomo(m): 2:09am On Mar 14, 2017
Charles Ponzi .... the OG yahoo yahoo boy!
Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by akigbemaru: 2:53am On Mar 14, 2017
C ponzi
Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by Nobody: 3:28am On Mar 14, 2017
Mavrodi dey learn work where this man dey
Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by uvalued(m): 3:34am On Mar 14, 2017

The details of the infamous swindler Charles Ponzi's early life are difficult to verify. It is believed, however, that he was born Carlo Ponzi in Parma, Italy, and attended the University of Rome La Sapienza.

we accept it even though its difficult, yet still believe what was assumed... but our tripartite nature ... spirit soul and body.. we cant believe the assumption ...
Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by chessguru(m): 3:39am On Mar 14, 2017
MMM is paying at the moment ..... Spare money things , participants are getting paid ... do not miss out this year ...... #istandwithmmm
Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by alldbest: 4:05am On Mar 14, 2017
yomi007k:

Bros free dem oo...
Anyone dt gets scammed deserves it....let dem die because we r already too many fighting for limited resources.

"Let dem die".... Just like that?? U sound like a killer
Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by yomi007k(m): 4:23am On Mar 14, 2017
alldbest:

"Let dem die".... Just like that?? U sound like a killer

Yes...n im coming for u next. Since u refuse to hv sense.

1 Like

Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by alldbest: 5:02am On Mar 14, 2017
yomi007k:

Yes...n im coming for u next. Since u refuse to hv sense.

Nawa for u, what's frustrating u bro? Put Ur trust in God and keep working hard u will succeed, this I pray, Amen.

You don't just wish people death for their own "stupidity" at least they are not robbers, they participate in the schemes with their own money, so why wish them death? What if Ur family member secretly participates in one? They shd die too?

1 Like

Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by djblue007(m): 5:15am On Mar 14, 2017
MMM is never a Ponzi scheme...... Check the image and see the difference.
Meanwhile MMM bitcoin now enables you to be provided help for by any member in any of the participating countries worldwide. So interesting. DM me to join. MMM has a cognitive objective which is to create a better financial world!

Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by DIKEnaWAR: 5:44am On Mar 14, 2017
Women are never loyal. Rose that he spent the money with while his Ponzi business thrived left him when he became penniless.

1 Like

Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by Nobody: 5:50am On Mar 14, 2017
Charles Ponzi is not the greatest...This guy is.

Bernard Madoff
, then add the Nigerian Government.

1 Like

Re: Charles Ponzi: The Greatest Scam Artist In History by Nobody: 6:09am On Mar 14, 2017
While Charles Ponzi may be famous for popularizing this sort of financial scam, it was Bernard Madoff that pulled off the greatest Ponzi scheme of all time. He was able to do this with some semblance of legitimacy because he was hedge fund manager and former non-executive chairman of NASDAQ stock exchange. With that kind of profile, even my shrewd self would invest in his company in a heartbeat, and besides, he never promised more than 11% return on investment. Long story short, estimated loss of investment was around $18b! Charles Ponzi na learner where Madoff dey. Madoff is still in jail.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Advice To Those Still Into MMM.. / Top 10 Lies That Mavrodians Told Themselves Before MMM Came Crashing Down / Naira Help Is A Scam

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.