Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,244 members, 7,818,835 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

Mr. Fayemi, stop whinning too. Nigeria Owes her youths one very important thing. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mr. Fayemi, stop whinning too. Nigeria Owes her youths one very important thing. (560 Views)

congratulations to our elected governor...mr fayemi / Kayode Fayemi Wears Bullet Proof Vest Under His Buba For Campaign. Photos / Nigeria Owes NNPC N170b In Subsidy Payments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mr. Fayemi, stop whinning too. Nigeria Owes her youths one very important thing. by drsugar: 5:00pm On Jan 24, 2017
Reading through the comments section on a thread earlier. A lot of Nigerian youths supported Mr Fayemi for opening his mouth wide and submitting that Nigeria owes her youths nothing for them to succeed and thrive in this country.
What about an opportunity to survive and succeed?
What about an enabling environment for their success?

Poor Educational system, failed Financial market regulations and policies, health and social security, protection against criminal elements, poor infrastructure to support manufacturing (e.g. Electricity), rigging of the employment system against those with good qualifications but without connections.

The problem with Nigerian youth is not all their fault at all.

In a country where hard work and good deeds are no longer rewarded but you see criminals and drug dealers being celebrated on national TV, vagabonds and touts with nothing to offer holding high political offices without any sense of responsibility or remorse that the people they claim to represent, who also voted for them are wallowing in abject poverty and disease.

The system has failed the youths of today, it's not their fault but that of failed leadership.
A lot of Nigerian youths are smarter than those incompetent politicians in power.
Re: Mr. Fayemi, stop whinning too. Nigeria Owes her youths one very important thing. by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jan 24, 2017
J

Re: Mr. Fayemi, stop whinning too. Nigeria Owes her youths one very important thing. by LORDOFAFONJAS: 6:01pm On Jan 24, 2017
Help us tell them ....
Re: Mr. Fayemi, stop whinning too. Nigeria Owes her youths one very important thing. by Rollsnjaguar(m): 7:43pm On Jan 24, 2017
Wow
Re: Mr. Fayemi, stop whinning too. Nigeria Owes her youths one very important thing. by NCP: 7:50pm On Jan 24, 2017
I never expected this from a Yoruba man. This amounts to "Kicking The Ladder" after reaching the top.

I want to believe that the schools he attended like the Christ's School Ado Ekiti from 1975-1980 and the degrees he obtained in
History, Politics and International Relations
from the Universities of Lagos and Ife in Nigeria were made possible because somebody out there saw today's potentials in you.
Re: Mr. Fayemi, stop whinning too. Nigeria Owes her youths one very important thing. by Sibrah: 8:21pm On Jan 24, 2017
Retærded leaders everywhere?
That's why nobody is taking power problem serious. The leader don't owe us even infrastructure. . .
Re: Mr. Fayemi, stop whinning too. Nigeria Owes her youths one very important thing. by Jackjones: 3:24pm On Jan 25, 2017
6. Quit Whining – No One Owes You Anything

The last lesson I want to talk about is the debilitating entitlement mentality that is commonplace among young people today. The earlier we realize that no one owes us anything, the better for us, and the more prepared we would be to face life’s challenges.

Don’t think you are entitled to a job, just because of your parents’ influence or what they have. Don’t think things would be all rosy because you graduated from UNILAG with good grades. Be prepared for surprises and disappointments because life is bound to hand you a couple. The only guarantees you have in this life is what you do for yourself with the grace God has bestowed on us all.

You have to be prepared to bend backwards and do what you might consider to be beneath you, because of the bigger picture. When you consider my resume today, you might see the prestigious organizations I have been privileged to work with. What you need to know however, is that as a UNILAG graduate and a post-graduate student in the United Kingdom, I have also driven taxis and worked as a security guard, amongst several other menial jobs I did in the past to survive.

We need to get off our high horses, quit whining and start doing – for ourselves and for our country. If something angers you so much, instead of whining, think hard about possible solutions and do something about it, because anger in and of itself is not a strategy. Doers have a way of finding each other out, and before you know it, you are in good company with progressive minded people that exude positive energy – comrades with whom you can challenge the status quo, fight together, and succeed together. Some of the closest friendships I have kept to this day are from my UNILAG days – people I can actually trust to surmount challenges and get things done.

So also, complainers have a way of finding each other out, to indulge in very depressing rhetoric about why things can’t work and who is at fault. From their comfort zones they criticize without offering any solutions and always end up frustrated – run away from such people.

Henrik Edberg said, “… if you change yourself you will change your world. If you change how you think then you will change how you feel and what actions you take. And so the world around you will change. Not only because you are now viewing your environment through new lenses of thoughts and emotions but also because the change within can allow you to take action in ways you wouldn’t have – or maybe even have thought about – while stuck in your old thought patterns.”
The world has always depended on those that believe they owe themselves the duty to leave a lasting impact on the world. Are you one of them? You owe it to the world to leave a lasting legacy – the world owes you nothing.
Conclusion

Ladies and gentlemen, as I conclude my remarks, I hope you have benefitted from my sharing with you these key lessons UNILAG taught me. They are, of course, not exhaustive, there are other lessons you will pile up in your journey of life. For those that have similarly learnt these lessons, and can therefore relate with me – good for you – I hope my words served the reinforcement of these lessons in your hearts and in your minds, and continue to guide you in life. For those that missed these lessons as students of UNILAG, I offer my assurances to you that there is the opportunity to imbibe these key values from today, and start practicing them. This is what would differentiate those that are merely ‘certificated’ from those that are truly ‘educated’ UNILAG graduates.

Once again, I congratulate you on attaining this major milestone, and pray that you would always remember this day as the beginning of great and mighty things in your life. I am extremely delighted to be here with other alumni, to join your loved ones to witness your convocation. It is a rare honour to see you celebrated, and join others to receive you into one of the most vibrant university alumni communities in the world. I hope our paths cross again on your way to greatness, and your life counts in the universal quest for a more just, safer, and prosperous world.

Remember to remain humble, compassionate and courageous. May God bless and keep you and grant you good success and fulfillment in your years ahead.

Thank you for listening.

Dr. Kayode Fayemi, CON
Lagos, Nigeria | Monday, January 23, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Moves To Islamize Nigeria. My Response / I Am Nigeria Awards 2017 / Haruna Maitala Goofed On If Buhari Dies Nigeria Will ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.