Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,645 members, 7,823,830 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB (3687 Views)

Rivers Governorship Rerun: A Golden Opportunity To Shut The Mouth Of APC / Genuine Reasons South-south May Shut Down Nigeria If GEJ Loses. / Youths In Warri Shut Down Nigeria Ports Authority (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by owo(m): 1:28pm On Dec 06, 2005
Seems that this is how to shut down Nigeria and chase away these corrupt, immoral and tribalistics charlatans at the head of our government.

Socio-Economic activities in most parts of the South-East were grounded on Monday while passengers, especially those travelling to Lagos and Abuja were stranded, as the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra began a stay-at-home protest.

The shut down of the geopolitical zone is to protest the arrest and detention of MASSOB Leader, Chief Ralph Uwazurike, and to press for the group’s demand for an independent nation for the Igbo.

MASSOB called the protest after Uwazurike was arrested on October 25. He was charged with treason and the court remanded him in custody.

More on http://www.punchng.com/main/article02 ...todays' punch
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by omon(m): 5:15pm On Dec 06, 2005
Na who go loose?
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by Seun(m): 7:10pm On Dec 06, 2005
Thank you o, my sister.  When you shut down commercial activities, it is the poor people who live on the day-to-day proceeds of their small businesses that will lose the most.  Followed by the entrepreneurs who create jobs for others but earn no money when employees refuse to come to the work.  Government officials don't lose anything whatsoever.

Those who want to "shut down Nigeria" are either criminal elements and enemies of the masses.  I have absolutely no sympathy for such people, and I am calling on them to stop this nonsense.  The best way to defend the MASSOB leader is to contribute money and use it to hire a good lawyer.  You can send articles to news agencies worldwide explaining why this men should not be punished. If indeed they is innocent, the truth will prevail.
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by FLYBOY(m): 7:46pm On Dec 08, 2005
Sadly, we have no guts in this here country of ours.....
Everybody thinking " who go lose". WE all are, WE all will, while a select few reap the rewards of their HARD labour...
NO benefits without labour....I wonder where SA would be today without a GREAT sacrifice by a few who did not ask, 'who go lose'
We will continue to sit on our behinds and mumble, grumble and fumble while WE are stolen blind..WE wallow in mediocrity.

Anyway sha......"who go lose".........................................WE WE WE WE
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by omon(m): 10:00pm On Dec 08, 2005
The drums of war and bloodshed is not the same as fighting for freedom. If that is the kind of vision you have for Nigeria, I am sorry, you are on your own.
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by Seun(m): 10:27pm On Dec 08, 2005
Thank you my brother. The war-mongerers are on their own.

I wonder what they see in war torn countries like Somalia, Sierra-Leone, and Cot D'Ivoire that makes them think that the path of armed conflict is the way forward for Nigeria
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by owo(m): 1:09pm On Dec 09, 2005
For forty five years.... WE have allowed ourselves to be divided and ruled.
For forty five years.... WE have agreed to see how well a government performs based on the ethnicity of the leader at the material time
For forty five years.... WE have allowed our neighbors, friends, friend's father, uncle, cousin, brother, relation, village person etc to loot our common-wealth without raising an eyebrow.
For forty five years.... WE have refused to see that the road we are being led through is leading to hell on earth.
For forty five years we have allowed men who have never passed through the four walls of a university to bastardize whatever we call university education. thereby mortgaging the future of our yet un-born children.

If shutting down Nigeria in order to chase the current irresponsible leaders out of Government is war-mongering.... then, may we have more of it.

We agreed to be hired by Abacha .... while the Ukrainians chased out their corrupt leaders.

We agreed to keep quiet over the 300bn given to the ministry of works (in the first three years of this administration) for which we have not seen any project while the Georgians chased out the well respected Edward Shevardnadze due to non-performance.

We agreed to allow Bola Ige die without a trace of his killers while the Brits and American have showed us the pictures, names and every data of those that killed their fellow country-men.

May un-cowardly men rise up in our land. May we have women who will refuse to be appeased by the gods of human annihilation and decimation. May our children and grand Children rise and demand for their rights and inheritance from whoever is at the helm of affairs.

1 Like

Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by Seun(m): 1:23pm On Dec 09, 2005
This is meaningless nonsense. The current administration's war on corruption is enough.

Don't you remember the reasons given by the military rules when they came into power? They said the politicians were corrupt and they wanted power in order to build a new and better Nigeria. But when they came into power, they became worse than the corrupt politicians that they deposed and murdered brutally.

So how are we to know that those who intend to shut down Nigeria are less corrupt than those in power? Who says that the common nigerian on the street are not corrupt? What about the 419ers who have tarnished our reputation internationally: are they not common men and women and children?

Example: Is Dokubo, Mr. Niger Delta, not already stealing crude oil to finance his operations? Is that not corruption? Will such a man really emancipate the masses or will he further bring them into ruin? What about Charles Taylor, the Liberian dictator who "liberated" the country from John Doe only to have to be sent to Nigeria before the country could enjoy a little peace.

No, my brothers and sisters, dialogue and diplomacy are the only ways forward. All other ways lead to ruin.
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by omon(m): 1:55pm On Dec 09, 2005
It is easy to see how people can be blinded by empty men who end up confusing their people. First of all, the Ukranians did not carry guns, abduct people and kill innocent lives to make their point. There was a genuine course for the fight. The likes of Asari and MASSOB should have come out during the evil reign of the Millitary of the supposedly rigged 2003 elections. Then, they would have had a legitimate fight and would have gotten the support of all. If you want Nigeria to end up like Sudan and Liberia, you can carry on the way you are doing right now. Only you and your people will suffer it and would tarnish the hopes of the youths in your region.
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by owo(m): 2:16pm On Dec 09, 2005
If Dokubo is Mr Niger Delta..... then Olabode George is Mr. South West, Mr Afolabi (of $242million national ID card scam) is Mr. Core south west and Mr. Tafa Balogun is Mr. Beautiful South West.

If dialog and diplomacy are the 'only way forward' then we should have gone about our normal business after June 12.

Apologetic souls and those that keep quiet in the face of obvious oppression and injustice cause the greatest ruin on earth.

If the current Government's 'corruption fight' is enough then Abacha's fight against banks and financial crime (through the failed banks tribunal)was "aided by God". Abacha had more results, jailed more offenders and recovered more money.

The reasons given by past military adventurists is the very same reason this militocratic cum genrontocratic leader is presenting for remaining in power... yet you buy it hook line and sinker.

All over the world, Governments that are aware that their societies are not dumb and cowardly always think twice before they act(or fail to act).

This is not a group/state/regional issue... it is what affects men daily. We have every right to expect to live like the best in the world. We will insist on it until we leave planet earth. You are free to wallow or accept the current level of mediocritic performance at your own risk.
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by mikebuddy(m): 2:18pm On Dec 09, 2005
WHAT! shut down kee,anyway he tried there best shaa,but that coused serious dilemma in onitsha,police guys where chasing them and firing  bullets in the air as if them dey for one action american movie in Hollywwod,then they got one womanand she died there,so sad cry
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by omon(m): 2:27pm On Dec 09, 2005
There is no questioning the fact that we have to fight for social and economic stability that is lacking in Nigeria right now. I wholeheartedly support you on that. My point however, is that it should not be done the 'MASSOB or Asari's ways'. There are more civilised ways to bring the kind of freedom we so earnestly seek.
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by Seun(m): 4:12pm On Dec 09, 2005
I agree with that

- We can 'fight' by dragging corrupt officials or parastatals to court, the way Gani Fawehinmi does it. Those who enjoy immunity can be 'fought' in the courts when they are impeached or after their terms run out.

- We can 'fight' by voting good people into the national assembly so that they can make changes - such as removing Governors' criminal immunity - that will create a less corrupt society.

- We can 'fight' by digging up the truth about various scandals and presenting them their the mass media and web forums like this so that the masses can be informed.

Democracy gives us a lot of non-violent ways to fight the fight for progress.
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by conscience(m): 7:19pm On Dec 09, 2005
The Present Government is gradually laying out a framework for a police state.
The Government has brutally denied all dissent voices inalienable right to freedom of speech  or protection from arbitrary arrest.
Any one who hold contrary opinion to their  ''myopic'' thinking is declared an enemy plotting to overthrew the ''Government''
Its indeed a shame that '' tolerance'' is at its lowest ebb.
Those of you who cannot see the evil in this Government should hide your faces in shame.
IF YOU PLANT COCO YAM NA COCO YAM YOU GO HARVEST.
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by Seun(m): 7:57pm On Dec 09, 2005
If you keep calling "fire, fire" when there is no fire, then nobody will listen to you when there is fire. If you keep crying, "corruption corruption dictatorship" when there is a real anti-corruption drive and democracy on ground, then when the democracy is being taken away and you are crying "dictatorship" nobody will be interested in listening to you.

So let us applaud the government when they do something right and let's criticize them only when they are clearly wrong. This will encourage them to do better.
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by FLYBOY(m): 8:11pm On Dec 09, 2005
lets get things straight...not once has MASSOB used violence.period
do not group them with the ilks of asari and co.

may the ALMIGHTY grant us the strenght to change the things we can...

I see no answer to the point raised about a certain 300bn Naira.or do we too subscribe to selective anti-curruption
crusade? rolleyes

Gani Fawenhinmi..Mmmmmmm
uncountable cases.all trown out on technicalities due to one fault of his chambers or another...correct me if I am wrong...
show me one case he won on his crusade to help the masses......................talk about crying WOLF
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by kewe(f): 8:35pm On Dec 09, 2005
d thing is that d masses suffer when there is "fight" ( and its this masses that they say they r fighting 4) lets just find a way of coming 2gether in peace and unity.
TOGETHER WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by omon(m): 10:50pm On Dec 09, 2005
The purspose of a civil struggle is for freedom and equality of life. How can you achieve that when by your very actions like the those of MASSOB and Asari maim the lives they are supposed to protect and fight for. If MASSOB does not fall into the category of the Asaris, tell me who burnt Zik's house. How did 12 people dies in the the recent riots by MASSOB? Did the police shoot at demonstrators who behaved peacefully? There were several peaceful protests in Bayelsa recently, I did not hear of any police shooting..

Have you not seen how civilised protests are carried out? Do you need to burn tryes, smash car windscreens, burn houses and beat people? Business was paralysed in the east during the MASSOB strike because people belived they will be maimed if the dare go out for business. There is nothing peaceful about that!
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by goodguy(m): 11:14am On Dec 10, 2005
When two elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers.
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by Seun(m): 11:48am On Dec 10, 2005
And that is why we are begging the so-called elephants to please stop fighting so we can get on with our peaceful lives. I keep saying it, that all I need from the Government is security. I do not really understand what these various groups are fighting for, and why they are trying to cripple Nigeria.
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by owo(m): 2:38pm On Dec 10, 2005
There is always a strong temptation to react to the insinuations and false prejudices expressed on many posts here.

Who abducted the Governor of Anambra State and whose court held that it was right?
Who burnt down government house, radio station and ministries in Awka and who said that its a 'family matter'?Is the arson-contractor not a member of pdp board today?
Whose soldiers burnt down thousands of houses and killed thousands in Odi(Bayelsa) and Zaki Ibiam (Benue) and has refused to charge those responsible?
Who sent tanks and military machinery to intimidate the people of Yenegoa, finally shutting down their only radio station when it has done nothing for the people?...That town is not yet on the National electricity grid.

Can any Igbo-man/woman/child/infant at home, abroad, dead or alive burn down Zik's house? The person who does not know the perpetrators must be living in Planet Pluto.

Will this be the first time that the Nigerian Police Force (Note that it is not an ordinary police .... it is a force) ....have shot and killed innocent Nigerians? Who committed the recent Apo 6 murders and countless accidental discharges that have killed many? How many people are killed during world trade conferences (like the ones in Seattle and Cancun) where there are tens of thousand of protesters who are sometimes violent.

For the purpose of information, there were no peaceful protests in Yenegoa.... there were hired placard carriers who numbered slightly above hundred. Who does not know those that hired them?

This thread was not about the modus-operandi of MASSOB and the likes. However, only the deaf, willingly ignorant and those living in safe havens (which others fought to establish) do not know that the first creed of MASSOB is that it will accomplish its aims by non-violent means. Igbos in Lagos also locked up their shops.....were they threatened too?

For the records, let it known that ; The demands/struggles/fights that you fail to make today.... are the things that you and your children will NOT enjoy tomorrow.

Who ever is applauding the current government with all its antics/failures and 'crimes', certainly, has not come to terms with the reality.

The elephants are already scheming, looting, killing and consequently denying us of our heritage. We 'the grasses' are just trying to protest against the decimation/annihilation that stares us in the face daily.
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by kelvin(m): 4:13pm On Dec 10, 2005
Certainly, we need people who will protest for a just democracy... But MASSOB is not just asking for that, they are asking to be cut off from Nigeria and be declared as a sovreign state... that is asking for too much... surely there are more civilised ways of getting good democracy...
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by omon(m): 4:21pm On Dec 10, 2005
@Owo, you are getting it all wrong! No body is saying Nigeria is a haven already and so we must celebrate and congratulate OBJ.  No! we are yet to get to the promised and we must strive to get there.

Hpw can you say the Govt is brutal with their police (force as you call it) and then turn around and carry the same guns and violent means to fight the government - it won't work!  Like I have said before and I will say it again, what Nigerian youths like you and me need is economic freedom - economic empowerement. That should be the focus of MASSOB and Asari.

The Igbos are very resourceful people and the Ijaws are well endowed.  Turn that into some form of synergy and see how much you will grow. That is geniune freedom. The fustration and poverty in the land is what is driving these youths to support the so called freedom fighter. Give the Igbos their land and sovereignity and they will still remain poor until they seek economic empowerement.
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by medube(m): 12:10am On Dec 11, 2005
@owo I truly agree with you on your claims of how we sit down and do nothing and complain while others remove their leaders when he or she messes up. One thing i want you to please remember in those facts you made about Georgia and Ukraine and others, is the people protested and took it to the government and not ask innocent fellow suffering people to stay at home so you can make a point to the government smiley
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by drbigdaddyg(m): 10:52am On Dec 12, 2005
It is very surprising why people have preferred ignorance to realities.
Firstly, I am surprised at your comments concerning the burning down of Zik's house; at this juncture, I will commend Owo's contribution.
Do you people need to be told that Zik's house was burnt by anti-MASSOB who used it as a strategy in dainting MASSOBS good ambition? The protest in Yenegoa should have been a lesson to you guys; a situation where the bayelsans even said those who carried placards where bought;>>> for this same reason. Why should they have shut down the radio station there? For what? Is this not human/social violence in a disguised form?
Omon was arguing how police would start shooting on a crowd but for violence: Don't you know the height of hatred FG have on MASSOB, maybe I should cite instances. During Uwazuruike's arrest, what happened to his lawyer who is legally authorized to ask questions pertaining to his arrest? He was arrested and detained too. Imagine the height of deprivation of one's human right!!! When the same MASSOB were going for a meeting in chartered buses, mobile policemen rendered bullets on their buses, killing people who were not carrying arms nor disturbing peace, (this happened in Owerri). I know very well you are aware of all these, but just trying to pull out defences.

You people are commending Obj. Well, I think there is improvement in his administration (LOL).
Maybe, his EFCC has brought a good remark to him. Does it mean I have been able know that Obj's son has powerful mansions in London before the EFCC, because they are yet to know, otherwise should have carried investigations that side? Maybe we are waiting for Obj to leave the office before casting him.

I want to know the development in Nigeria since Obj's ascendance, how many people have commended him on 3rd therm agenda? Look at prices of petroleum in Nigeria, very soon, diesel will get to N100. This is as a result of dictatorship being practiced in Nigeria despite the "claimed" democracy.
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by conscience(m): 3:36am On Dec 13, 2005
kelvin:

Certainly, we need people who will protest for a just democracy... But MASSOB is not just asking for that, they are asking to be cut off from Nigeria and be declared as a sovreign state... that is asking for too much... surely there are more civilised ways of getting good democracy...
That is SELF DETERMINATION.
It is by this principle that Nigeria and other Colonial States got their Independence.
Marriage in a ''bad relationship'' that has broken down irretrievably can not be forced on the
other party, no matter how weak He/She may seeem to be.
Na tire 'em don tire
Set them free to go their own way.
Haba! where lies the wahala?
Abi na by force or because of the oil for their back yard you want to strangle them to live with you.
If they want to go, let them go and those who want to stay, can stay
SHIKEENA!
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by owo(m): 10:26am On Dec 15, 2005
omon:

@Owo, you are getting it all wrong! No body is saying Nigeria is a haven already and so we must celebrate and congratulate OBJ. No! we are yet to get to the promised and we must strive to get there....
The Igbos are very resourceful people and the Ijaws are well endowed. Turn that into some form of synergy and see how much you will grow. That is geniune freedom. The fustration and poverty in the land is what is driving these youths to support the so called freedom fighter. Give the Igbos their land and sovereignity and they will still remain poor until they seek economic empowerement.

@Omon, the resourcefulness is what makes them to suceed where-ever they go. Indeed every tribe in this God-forsaken place is blessed with human resources.
But there is frustration.... as you have mentioned and much more. The same guy who is made to look like a fool here goes to another environment and becomes a superstar. What is the reason? The system is not designed for growth and development.
Therefore, having tried the same method at removing the causes if this syndrome, there must be a change in tactics.

If Togo can survive with less than what Edo state alone can muster.... then let us go our separate ways. Must God come down to prove to us that this union is meant for the under-development of each unit? As long as this parasitic 'marriage' exists... so long will we remain an unfulfilled people.

What we must go on to discuss are 1. how to organise the separation, 2. whether a very loose federation will not meet our needs and help each consituent member to become what they want to be.3. how each unit, confederate or sovereign member can be of assistance to the other 4. what to do with shared infrastructure.

1 Like

Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by omon(m): 2:11pm On Dec 15, 2005
Would it be wrong if we forget our differences and fight for a common course?
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by owo(m): 4:52pm On Dec 15, 2005
yes it would be wrong... because we have tried it for forty years and yet we have retrogressed. It is criminal to allow oneself to be killed by the evil that killed our parents.

If they are afraid of agreeing to discuss and alter (as required) the basis of unity, then what will happen at the implementation thereof.
Only foolishness and ignorance of our antecedents will make us to toe the line 'forgetting our difference'.

On the other hand, it is obvious to every discerning mind that we have failed to agree on a common course. that is why a we havenot been able to agree on getting at a basic thing like the constitution that reflects everybody's views.
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by bazx(m): 11:05pm On Dec 18, 2005
It shouldn't be a fight against the masses it should be against the power mungers, the only way is to ask God to shut down the crude flowing in Naija...asking for that is like denying or mercy killing Nigeria.

Or u could ask the papas and mamas to retire and make way for new moral ways e.t.c
Thinking of bringing Naija back cld run u down.
Will post something else later..If we(all Nigerians can do this then Nigeria would be the best land.)
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by pharrod(m): 12:07am On Dec 19, 2005
Owo ,your contribution are very great.Suen will never see anything good in MaSSOB that's not fair.About two billion dollars has been sunk into former NEPA still there is still some places without light for a year.National ID card scam .300billion naira allocated to ministry of works,PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARY.and EFCC double standard .they are only going after any one who is against OB J'S government .well few months ago America said that Nigeria will be a failed state in fifteen years to come.If other people from other tribe didn't acknowledge others plight there still be problems .When KEN Saro Wiwa was agitating for Niger Delta people because of the degrading of their environment .he reminded Nigeria government to remember that he helped to kill some Biafrian during the war.it happend that thesame Nigeria he helped killed him.what a double standard country.THE ghost and Darkness has enveloped Nigeria,until they are wiped away things will not be OK.
Re: How to shut down Nigeria - lessons from MASSOB by Chxta(m): 9:59am On Dec 21, 2005
I don't see anything good in MASSOB either, and unlike Seun I am Igbo. These people are living in 1967. Why should we be talking of division when it is ovbious that we stand to gain more by uniting?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Interesting Statistics From Jamb. / GEJ Congratulates Capt Wada On Winning Koji Gov'ship Election / NGIGE New Senate President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.