Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,176 members, 7,815,110 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

Help Needed- Toyota 2004 4runner Driveshaft And Xreas Shock Absorber Problem - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help Needed- Toyota 2004 4runner Driveshaft And Xreas Shock Absorber Problem (1083 Views)

6 Tell-tale Signs To Know When To Replace Shock Absorber / Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? / My Driveshaft Pulls Out Frequently! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Needed- Toyota 2004 4runner Driveshaft And Xreas Shock Absorber Problem by afope: 9:04pm On Jan 24, 2017
Hello everyone,

Please I have an issue with my 4runner. The rear shock absorber was bad and leaking oil. I took it to Ladipo to change but since that time, my car has been bouncing like a ball anytime I hit a bump. I read that my car came with X-reas and before one can change the shocks, the car has to be suspended in the air and shocks fully extended and then disconnected at a designated place.

My question now is this, now that I have removed the stock shocks and x-reas compromised, what can I do? is it because the x-reas is compromised that the car is bouncing or because the second-hand shocks i fixed is bad?

Also, the front passenger side drive shaft is bad, it makes some kind of cranking noise when I turn the steering wheel when cornering.. I searched everywhere in Ladipo before I was able to get replacement but the replacement I even fixed is bad, its still making the noise. A mechanic advised me to buy a brand new one as Toks is not reliable, is this true?
Re: Help Needed- Toyota 2004 4runner Driveshaft And Xreas Shock Absorber Problem by mayor2013: 6:59am On Jan 25, 2017
afope:
Hello everyone,

Please I have an issue with my 4runner. The rear shock absorber was bad and leaking oil. I took it to Ladipo to change but since that time, my car has been bouncing like a ball anytime I hit a bump. I read that my car came with X-reas and before one can change the shocks, the car has to be suspended in the air and shocks fully extended and then disconnected at a designated place.

My question now is this, now that I have removed the stock shocks and x-reas compromised, what can I do? is it because the x-reas is compromised that the car is bouncing or because the second-hand shocks i fixed is bad?

Also, the front passenger side drive shaft is bad, it makes some kind of cranking noise when I turn the steering wheel when cornering.. I searched everywhere in Ladipo before I was able to get replacement but the replacement I even fixed is bad, its still making the noise. A mechanic advised me to buy a brand new one as Toks is not reliable, is this true?

What year is your 4 runner. Most likely a wrong spring has been used along side wih the shocks or you have a bad shocks absorber. Best take on this is to buy a brand new shocks. Was your old spring retained? Or it was also changed
Re: Help Needed- Toyota 2004 4runner Driveshaft And Xreas Shock Absorber Problem by kingreign(m): 7:58am On Jan 25, 2017
afope:
Hello everyone,

You use a 2003-2009 4runner Sports (they films standard with x-reas), you need not disconnect anything, all that was needed was to open the pressure relief valve for the X-reas Theron drain the AHC fluid, then disconnect the bad shock's fluid hose and finally remove the shock. Well, deed's been done, you don buy market-an expensive one at that. To fix that problem ladipo incompetent guys did would cost you a good amount. No matter the shocks you install, you'd get a rolly poley ride compared to the firm planted secure ride with the x-reas.
Re: Help Needed- Toyota 2004 4runner Driveshaft And Xreas Shock Absorber Problem by afope: 8:26am On Jan 25, 2017
mayor2013:

What year is your 4 runner. Most likely a wrong spring has been used along side wih the shocks or you have a bad shocks absorber. Best take on this is to buy a brand new shocks. Was your old spring retained? Or it was also changed

The spring was not changed. Just the shock absorber.. If i buy the brand new absorber, what about the x-reas that have been compromised? what do i need to do to fix that? i understand the xreas and the absorber is single system and once one is compromised, u cannot just put the absorber the ride quality will still be bad
Re: Help Needed- Toyota 2004 4runner Driveshaft And Xreas Shock Absorber Problem by afope: 8:29am On Jan 25, 2017
kingreign:

You use a 2003-2009 4runner Sports (they films standard with x-reas), you need not disconnect anything, all that was needed was to open the pressure relief valve for the X-reas Theron drain the AHC fluid, then disconnect the bad shock's fluid hose and finally remove the shock. Well, deed's been done, you don buy market-an expensive one at that. To fix that problem ladipo incompetent guys did would cost you a good amount. No matter the shocks you install, you'd get a rolly poley ride compared to the firm planted secure ride with the x-reas.

U are right, the model year is 2004. I should have taken it to Mandillas to do the repairs but then those guys are quite expensive.. are u saying there is no solution to it?

I read on 4runner.org that one can use bilstein shocks. some guys on that forum even decided to disconnect the xreas to install bilstein shocks for higher ground clearance and stability but only God knows where to get that in Nigeria.
Re: Help Needed- Toyota 2004 4runner Driveshaft And Xreas Shock Absorber Problem by kingreign(m): 9:47am On Jan 25, 2017
afope:

U are right, the model year is 2004. I should have taken it to Mandillas to do the repairs but then those guys are quite expensive.. are u saying there is no solution to it?

I read on 4runner.org that one can use bilstein shocks. some guys on that forum even decided to disconnect the xreas to install bilstein shocks for higher ground clearance and stability but only God knows where to get that in Nigeria.
Place order on eBay or ask any reliable folks that imports from USA/Canada to assist you get them.

(1) (Reply)

BMW M550i Display Key.. The Most Advanced Keyfob Ever / BEWARE OF VEHICLES COMING FROM THE USA THIS TIME AROUND. / Great Deal : Toyota Camry Muscle Upgraded 2007 - 09- 1.4M -LAGOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.