Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,703 members, 7,955,652 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:01 PM

Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing (34148 Views)

Niger Deltan Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing / Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing / Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jan 25, 2017
Btruth:
.......no matter what, they are still my best friend.

grin

Gone are the days that says "Ijebu" like money. But today, my brothers from the east like & love money pass Ijebu people 10 times.

Lol

one thing is love for money

while another is

knowing how to make the money

1 Like

Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jan 25, 2017
Neddstark:
Igbos can kill their family members for money.
Igbos feel they are more special than other Nigerians

you mean rituals
Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jan 25, 2017
willibounce1:
Igbos love eating akpu!
By the way, what is the meaning of OTUMBA TUMBWO? Lol
meaning : Otu nne gi

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by RedboneSmith(m): 9:11pm On Jan 25, 2017
One Hausa guy in my masters' degree class in the Europe asked me what benefit a masters' degree would be to my shop business. He wasn't joking, and he wasn't being malicious. That was his earnest belief. Igbo people are all shopkeepers.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by stancod(m): 9:14pm On Jan 25, 2017
brainpulse:
The major problem fighting the igbo race is enormous but the major is complexity issue. Though they are hard working, beautiful and industrious but with all they still believe they are not measured up with society. This has led them into many crimes and social vices and also made them have mechanical pride and ego (seeing themselves better off even in foolishness).

The mechanical pride and ego had also created and made them artificial enemies to all other tribes, their kins men, neighbors, their family members and even to themselves. They want to oppress at all cost even at the detriment of their soul or life.

They easily form caucus any and everywhere with the sole of alienating others and the first to shout stigmatization, ostracisation and the rest.

They need to see beyond complexity and see others the way they want to be seen and take others as families and also ready to work with others.
Bros u talk true
Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by stancod(m): 9:16pm On Jan 25, 2017
brainpulse:
The major problem fighting the igbo race is enormous but the major is complexity issue. Though they are hard working, beautiful and industrious but with all they still believe they are not measured up with society. This has led them into many crimes and social vices and also made them have mechanical pride and ego (seeing themselves better off even in foolishness).

The mechanical pride and ego had also created and made them artificial enemies to all other tribes, their kins men, neighbors, their family members and even to themselves. They want to oppress at all cost even at the detriment of their soul or life.

They easily form caucus any and everywhere with the sole of alienating others and the first to shout stigmatization, ostracisation and the rest.

They need to see beyond complexity and see others the way they want to be seen and take others as families and also ready to work with others.
Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by kanayogod(m): 9:21pm On Jan 25, 2017
ednut1:
no mind dem, i served in a place called Amaogwugwu in abia state. most of the stereotypes were plain bullsh*t.
Wow! Thats my hometown mehn!

1 Like

Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by Btruth: 9:22pm On Jan 25, 2017
carmag:

one thing is love for money

while another is

knowing how to make money
meaning?
Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by willibounce1(m): 9:26pm On Jan 25, 2017
carmag:

meaning : Otu nne gi

Young man do me a favour. Before you sleep tonight, call your mother and sisters to a round table, look into their eyes and tell them "Otu nee gi ".... anoufia...

Any sensible igbo person out there should tell me the meaning of OTUMBA TUMBWO jare... maybe the spelling is not correct though... I heard it from my fav igbo actor chiwetalu agwu.....
Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by chekas111: 9:30pm On Jan 25, 2017
YourNemesis:
Their men also love wearing cheap necklace and color rioting attires. grin

Cheap what? I have a wristwatch that will buy you a 4 million Naira car in Nigeria as of today fool. Paste your account let me dash you small money.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by legendte(m): 9:32pm On Jan 25, 2017
Withambition:
[b]Brother calm down! Before you brag put your house in order. Accepted! Even if Nigeria breaks up Igbos will be the ones to suffer the least. However, this is at the initial stage because the Igbos will still have problem with themselves and finally go down the drainage. This means they will be overtaken by Yorubas and, if care is not taken, the Hausas. A typical Igbo man does not want to submit to anybody which is totally against human nature and characteristics; even divine law dictates that someone must lead at one poin in time while others follow. This shows will it is and may continue to be difficult for the Igbos to produce a President in Nigeria. There is nothing Pride can add to you or your tribe, put your house in order! Shall I give you an example? It is very difficult for a Yoruba boy to contest talk more of win the election for the Student Union Presidency of a University in the South-East while an Igbo boy can will the same position in the South-West. You think it is smartness and defending your territory? Have you ever heard of a King reigning in slavery in the quest to enforce his Kingly authority? That is the true picture of the Igbos.

Also, as industrious as Igbos can be and which I quite appreciate them for, an Igbo man can go to any extent because of money if we are not to deceive ourselves. I quite commend the fact that it's vary rear to see an Igbo man begging for alms. However, it is sardonic that quite a number can wear wear clothes of lawlessness in the name of money must be made. By the nature of my profession, I'm sure of my fact!

I can go on and on and on but my advice is that you do a re-orientation among yourselves. I feel if the federal allocation is withdrawn, Igbos will be very competitive against themselves and this will MOST LIKELY be a clog in the wheel of their progress.

Once again, your bragging is of no relevance if you can't put your house in order![/b]
Well I appreciate your advice on putting our house in order but I would like to point out another stereotype from your assertions.
Igbos have regards for constituted authorities and I would like you to prove me wrong with facts.
The kingship has been a tool of governance in Igboland till date. We elect people to lead in every corner of the world we find ourselves. That is why you hear things like Eze ndigbo in Lagos, Texas etc. Under Ojukwu's command, we fought the war to show you our level of fellowship. The peaceful demonstration of Nnamdi Kanu's arrest proved most people wrong. Some were saying that we can't close shops for protest. We still have governors that we only unseat by democratic process. Why do you think that this would change if we are to govern ourselves? An average Igbo man only hates any form of intimidation no matter where it is coming from.

Now on your example of a student contesting in the east, I have a question for you. How many tribes have followed the Igbos in national integration by living in every corner of the country. I tell people that we act more Nigerian than any other tribe. We go to the west, live peacefully and build mansions there which is actually robbing us of economic growth in our region. How many yorubas have houses in Igboland. The stereotype has made them to believe that we are bad. Have you heard that Igbos killed a yoruba man before? Just look at Lagos for example and see how we have contributed to the growth of the state. I had a yoruba friend while I was in the university. He was even getting more love than majority of us. We are not violent in nature but we are always bold in fighting off any form of deliberate attack on us.

8 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jan 25, 2017
MufasaRebirth:
I'm a yoruba Guy, buh I swear to God, I love the igbos!!!

Don't mind the Igbo haters jor..

you know when you are industrious and successful those who are jealous of your success will find a way to paint you black

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by Skmoda360(m): 9:37pm On Jan 25, 2017
Neddstark:
Many yiibo ladies are involved in lesbianism
gbam!!! chiefu you just landed.
Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by WOCKHARDI(m): 9:44pm On Jan 25, 2017
"Igbos love money ". Okay.
This then means that those that stereotype them don't love /need money. And it's only fools that don't know the value of money. "And a fool and his money are soon parted".
So, Igbos, if you see any fools, collect all their money.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by ogwucheveekee(f): 9:44pm On Jan 25, 2017
yes! all tribes and everybody likes money but an igbo likes money to a fault.. they LOVE it at the expense of any other thing.
Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by MufasaRebirth: 9:50pm On Jan 25, 2017
carmag:

Don't mind the Igbo haters jor..

you know when you are industrious and successful those who are jealous of your success will find a way to paint you black
I just like "never quit" spirit in them... I have so many igbo friends and they have been good guys to me!!!

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by DRskyman: 9:51pm On Jan 25, 2017
godquality:
And how is that stereotypical when it's fact? You forget drug pushers by the way...
*forgot*
Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jan 25, 2017
Opakan2:
Trash..

yorubas have been into trading even before the white men came, igbos are learners near yorubas

They "sell" their daughters.. it's common knowledge love is for the highest bidder there

They love money, we all know they can go any length just to get that ego as their whole world revolves around money
They must have say in their family meetings and become chieftains. all na money

As regards respect, omo no go there, they use sliding kick to wake their fathers, some go to the extent of using dirty slaps or punch (na dem sabi)

no tribe is perfect but these guys own too much abeg

Don't you think it will make sense if you open a thread to enlightened us more on your submission
Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by Inova(m): 9:56pm On Jan 25, 2017
brainpulse:

BRILLIANT ANALYSIS THERE. WELL DONE
Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by SycophanticGoat: 10:02pm On Jan 25, 2017
godquality:
And how is that stereotypical when it's fact? You forget drug pushers by the way...

What do we then say about a tribe that invented terrorism in Nigeria? And the ones that practice incense in their homes and are leading in ritualism? Are we to stereotype the whole two tribes based on the crime doers?

Too many senseless and stupid Nigerians online tho!
Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by JuneOctober(f): 10:18pm On Jan 25, 2017
Hehehe. Funny comments all over. Lemme put down my opinion. grin
1. Igbos love money: I have been hearing that statement for quite a long time. I think it's because of their entrepreneurial spirit. Damn! Everyone likes money. So tell me The politicians that steal our money daily are all Ibos? You'd definitely see traces of other tribes among those thieves in high places.

Most people crying "Ibos love money too much" can even agree to swin across the Mediterranean sea for money. We all have our ambitions. Not everyone wants to a 'shopkeeper' or 'boyboy'. Most of these guys doing such didn't have opportunity to go to school or for some, financial probs. Same way everyone hustles to make ends meet. Do you expect an illiterate to be the CEO of a company? Our bus conductors that scream "oshodi oke" every morning are also hustling for themselves. If you have a problem about that, give them a better job. Some of them are even educated, just that they are battling with one challenge or the other.

Second. Hygiene is a personal decision. It is never a tribal decision. Your tribe can't tell you to be neat or dirty, can they? Associating unhygienic characters to a tribe is not an intelligent thing to do. Laziness brings about lack of hygiene. So stop crying "Yoruba girls are dirty" or "IBO girls are dirty"
And ensure to evaluate yourself if your hygiene level is commendable before castigating anyone.

Not all Igbo girls are fair. Perhaps a large number of them are fair in complexion hence the generalization.

That's my opinion...
Thank you. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jan 25, 2017
John902:
how about drug pushing
you forgot yahoo.yahoo
Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by Zirah: 10:19pm On Jan 25, 2017
But still sells gala on the streets anyway.

legendte:
Remove assistance from federal government, no tribe can beat Igbo in any human endeavour.

Just mention that sector you think. Unless the Igbos are not into it. It's not bragging. People do have some inherent characteristics and NEVER GIVE UP is one undeniable characteristics of the Igbos.
[b]
The Igbo boy selling gala on the street h[/b]as a strong will to own gala factory. He puts his energy into whatever he believes in.

That's who we are.
Igbo ndi oma kwenu

1 Like

Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jan 25, 2017
brainpulse:

Gbam!
Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by JuneOctober(f): 10:23pm On Jan 25, 2017
Opakan2:
Trash..

yorubas have been into trading even before the white men came, igbos are learners near yorubas

They "sell" their daughters.. it's common knowledge love is for the highest bidder there

They love money, we all know they can go any length just to get that ego as their whole world revolves around money
They must have say in their family meetings and become chieftains. all na money

As regards respect, omo no go there, they use sliding kick to wake their fathers, some go to the extent of using dirty slaps or punch (na dem sabi)

no tribe is perfect but these guys own too much abeg

Sliding what? Just visit any of your Igbo friends and tell them to use that 'sliding kick' to wake their parents. Wait patiently for the response.
Lol. Your exaggeration tho'. grin Dirty slaps or punch? That got me laughing.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by ednut1(m): 10:23pm On Jan 25, 2017
kanayogod:

Wow! Thats my hometown mehn!
d village dry sha o. if not for umuagu heheheh

1 Like

Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jan 25, 2017
RedboneSmith:
One Hausa guy in my masters' degree class in the Europe asked me what benefit a masters' degree would be to my shop business. He wasn't joking, and he wasn't being malicious. That was his earnest belief. Igbo people are all shopkeepers.

in as much as it pays your bills that's what matters

some masters degree holders in Nigeria still reaming the streets
Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by Ogbulaba(m): 10:32pm On Jan 25, 2017
OXCUBA:
IGBOS LOVE NET SINGLET grin cheesy
burst my brain
Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jan 25, 2017
Btruth:
meaning?
see jamb questions
Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by Odkosh: 10:38pm On Jan 25, 2017
tankara1010:
The fair skin thing is not a generalization but a fact. If I come across a fair skinned person in Nigeria or abroad who is a Nigerian, he is either Igbo or from Akwa Ibom, and some from Cross River. I have never ever come across a light skinned Yoruba man or hausa man( not fulani) in my life...not once except they are mixed! But I have across countless of light skinned Igbo men and some Ibibios. I use Igbo men as a minimum barometer since Igbo women are more light skinned on average than the men.
how many places have you been to
Re: Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing by voicelez: 10:39pm On Jan 25, 2017
I am proud you
legendte:
Remove assistance from federal government, no tribe can beat Igbo in any human endeavour.

Just mention that sector you think. Unless the Igbos are not into it. It's not bragging. People do have some inherent characteristics and NEVER GIVE UP is one undeniable characteristics of the Igbos.

The Igbo boy selling gala on the street has a strong will to own gala factory. He puts his energy into whatever he believes in.

That's who we are.
Igbo ndi oma kwenu

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Abiriba Kingdom In Abia Holds 600-Year-Old ‘Itu Eye’ Ceremony In Grand Style / Oba Akintunde Akinyemi Threatens To Release ‘Warriors’ Against Herdsmen / High Chief, Fatai Olumegbon Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.