Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,239 members, 7,815,322 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC (9845 Views)

Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation / Buhari Appoints James Momoh As NERC Chairman / Saraki Visits Berlin Germany To Improve Power Supply In Nigeria (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by energywatchng: 7:25am On Jan 26, 2017
The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission on Wednesday declared that without an increase in electricity tariff payable by consumers or an intervention in form of subsidy from the Federal Government to the power firms, the country would not be able to get the steady power supply.

But NERC’s position was rejected by members of the Senate Committee on Privatisation, who were at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja on an oversight visit.

The committee also called for the investors in order to break the monopoly of the current operators, and insisted that the government should not provide any form of subsidy to the sector.

In his presentation to the committee, the Acting Chairman/Chief Executive of NERC, Dr. Tony Akah, said there was no miracle that the commission could do to ensure steady power supply, stressing that this was particularly due to the liquidity problem in the sector.

To address the financial shortfall, he said a cost-reflective tariff or subsidy must be provided for operators in the power business.

Citing an instance, Akah stated that the power regulator in Ghana increased the country’s electricity tariff after a new technology was acquired and that since then, the power situation there had improved.

He said, “So, the challenge we have as regulator here is that we don’t know which other miracle to do, because in the absence of subsidy coming in, in the absence of other mechanism coming in, we are bound under the law to provide a tariff that will recover the cost of investments.

“And in the absence of that, there is no incentive for the players in the market to come up and give you power.”

He stated that the destruction of gas pipelines was also causing a huge loss to the power sector, as the financial performances of many electricity firms had been badly affected due to this menace.

The NERC boss said, “I always say that private players are there to provide services and at the same time make a fair return on investment. This is fair return on investment either via the right tariff, or tariff that is highly subsidised by the government, or through other incentives that can reduce the cost of investment.

“This can be through gas, tax holidays and many more. But I know that the Federal Government at this point in time is considering various options to see how it can mitigate any possible rate hike.”

Akah stated that the petroleum sector was still enjoying subsidy and that it would not be out of place if an all-important industry like power was allowed to enjoy similar benefits from the government.

“If we can have subsidy in the petroleum sector even up till today why can’t we figure out a mechanism to support the power sector?” he said.

He noted that the major trigger to the liquidity problem in the power sector was foreign exchange scarcity occasioned by the fall in the value of the naira against the United States dollar.

The NERC boss said most of the facilities in the power sector were imported, adding that the current tariff was no longer suitable for the industry.

Akah advocated cheap bonds to be provided for the power firms in order to forestall the passage of high electricity bills to consumers, particularly when the firms borrowed high interest loans from Deposit Money Banks.

He, however, noted that the commission would always protect the interest of consumers and that it had commenced work on policies that would ensure the sale of electricity to willing customers as a result of complaints that some power distribution companies were rejecting electricity load allocated to them.

Rejecting calls for increased tariff and subsidy, the Chairman, Senate Committee on Privatisation, Senator Ben Murray-Bruce, said most salary earners in Nigeria had not had their wages increased in the past one year, yet the power firms were calling for 200 per cent hike in rates because of forex challenges and inflation.

“But the same factors affect me as a businessman; they are not exclusive to the power sector. I’ve not been able to increase my rates but I’ve been able to survive. So also many other businesses in Nigeria,” he said.

http://www.energywatchng.com/tariff-increase-solution-improve-power-supply-nerc/

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by Gariki: 7:28am On Jan 26, 2017
Said it

1 Like

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by Afriifa(m): 7:31am On Jan 26, 2017
Curse be on anyone who intend to increase the sufferings of Nigerians

and all Nairalanders shall say Amen!!

81 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by softMarket(m): 7:31am On Jan 26, 2017
Nobody is surprised again in this buhari regime.

We will still survive high tariff!________

2face should plan and fix a date for that protest abeg! NO TIME!!!

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by chuose2: 7:32am On Jan 26, 2017
THIS GOVT WAN KILL PERSON OH WITH THIS DEM CHANGE!

Meanwhile what has happened to Pharaoh?

Exodus 5:1
Go unto Pharaoh, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord,
Let my people go, that they may serve me.

6 Likes

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by harmbhrosz(m): 7:32am On Jan 26, 2017
This people will do anything just to hurt us

11 Likes

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by BackToLife: 7:32am On Jan 26, 2017
Some Nigerians can be very funny. I saw these abbreviations somewhere and it caught my attention.
Look at them .......
PHCN - Problem Has Changed Name
HAUSA - House Animals Using Seat of Authority
APC - Association of Past Criminals
NYSC - Now Your Struggles Continue
PDP - People Deceiving People.
MTN - Maintain Total Nonsense
ABACHA - After Babangida Another Criminal Has Arrived
NEPA - Never Expect Power Always
NAIRA - Never Allow Igbos Rule Again (why na?!)
BUHARI - Brought Unnecessary Hardship Among Reasonable Individuals.
Laughing, I promise it won't kill.

grin grin grin

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by PapaBrowne(m): 7:32am On Jan 26, 2017
Increase the tariff. You guys are about to be booted out!!! 2019 is too far!

10 Likes

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by adonbilivit: 7:32am On Jan 26, 2017
stabilize it first before increasing the tariff. nonsense!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by Mopolchi: 7:32am On Jan 26, 2017
NERC shtyp!
Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by Gten(m): 7:32am On Jan 26, 2017
Na wa for APC ooooo

1 Like

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by abitex577(m): 7:33am On Jan 26, 2017
How did we get to this point?

1 Like

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by IMASTEX: 7:33am On Jan 26, 2017
So paying more for invisible item is the best way of doing business abi. Nija still got a long way to go.
Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by Mopolchi: 7:33am On Jan 26, 2017
NERC shatap!

1 Like

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by TANKDESTROYER(m): 7:33am On Jan 26, 2017
Tariff hike? in this economic holocaust? I don't know how this folks reason sometimes
Light is now a scarce commodity......
Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by SmartMugu: 7:33am On Jan 26, 2017
As long as Nigerians enjoy salary increase, reduced cost of necessary items, employment opportunities and quality electricity service, an agreement can be met.
Who wants to keep paying for stale electricity they never had after spending half their income on petrol for their generators?

1 Like

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by fuckboys: 7:34am On Jan 26, 2017
Tariif wey this idiot don increase like kilode still no light,,, them still wan increase another one undecided

Nigeria is dead, lets just split up this country once and for all for the sake of our children embarassed
Even if we pay a million each, there can never be steady power supply in this country because some idiots up there are still filling their pockets with our money embarassed

7 Likes

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by gaetano: 7:34am On Jan 26, 2017
I seriously want a revolution in this country. To kill politicians dey hungry me

13 Likes

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by MVLOX(m): 7:34am On Jan 26, 2017
madpple.com
Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by tolexy05(m): 7:34am On Jan 26, 2017
Na today bastard son of a thousand fathers.............. For my area light na like please use me NW cuz u dnt knw wen u wil see me again
Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by ohosi4real(m): 7:34am On Jan 26, 2017
nigeria is in state of comma and full stop I don talk my own

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by Odkosh: 7:34am On Jan 26, 2017
Increase am make thunder fire you. Useless ppl.

1 Like

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by oluseyiforjesus(m): 7:34am On Jan 26, 2017
APC. Failed Nigerians
PDP. Mess up nigeria

1 Like

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by 989900: 7:35am On Jan 26, 2017
Provide the power first, then we will gladly pay.

2 Likes

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by Holatunde007(m): 7:35am On Jan 26, 2017
What's this rubbish

2 Likes

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by Young109(m): 7:35am On Jan 26, 2017
I'm just about giving up hope on this country
Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by Nobody: 7:36am On Jan 26, 2017
They increased it before, we didn't see any impact
Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by beejay247: 7:36am On Jan 26, 2017
I really don't know how this government thinks. All this price hike are only affecting the poor, this won't get us out of recession or provide any solution. It will only make people not to see anything good in this government.
Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by Nobody: 7:36am On Jan 26, 2017
and the APC scam is scamming the scam nowadays. patiently waiting for 2019.

1 Like

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by Akinz0126(m): 7:37am On Jan 26, 2017
Dem wan skin us alive oooooooo

Salary no gree increase and prices of comodities keep increasing on a daily basis Yet we kept Mum and . Now anoda tariff hike . For light wey we no even ma use

#Guystufacehasapoint # It's Now or never else we forever hold our Peace .
If youbelieve you still av somtyn to lose den we are doomed as for me I have notyn else to lose

If 9ja peme today those son of a bitch 'll flee to oversee living behind U and I

1 Like

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by Nobody: 7:37am On Jan 26, 2017
Someone will pay for prepaid meter, they will not give you your meter, every month they will be bringing estimated bills, the light is not constant, now they want to increase tariff, this country tire me o

7 Likes

Re: Tariff Increase, Solution To Improve Power Supply – NERC by Slimszy: 7:38am On Jan 26, 2017
God will punish this people for their evil deeds

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

APC Planning To Rig Abia By-election With Security - Ikpeazu Cries Out / How KPIs & Targets For Nigerian Ministers Failed Under Jonathan & Buhari / Labaran Maku: Best Minister Of Information Ever?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.