Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,658 members, 7,955,375 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:04 AM

Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? (5894 Views)

Is Islam A Religion Of Violence? / Why Is Islam Afraid Of Atheism (and Apostasy)? / Is Islam The Religion Of Peace? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by Nobody: 12:38am On Jan 27, 2017
Islam is neither pacifist nor violent. Islam promotes practical justice. It also exhorts self defence in the face of oppression. Later, I cited some verses which are considered to be ground rules for when fighting is permitted. Please remember during our discussion that laws taken from the Quran, or the hadith, are not expected to contradict each other. If a verse commands us to fight and stops on that point, and another verse commands that we not start a fight, the understood methodology is to find harmony between the two verses, thereby concluding that we may fight those who fight us, but not start a fight. We may not obey a verse by disobeying another. Frequently, anti Islam pundits cite one aspect while ignoring its limitations. For us, all the Quran must be obeyed in its entirety, not just individual verses.

The following verses provide guidance on when we can fight...

[2:190] Fight in the cause of GOD against those who attack you, but do not aggress. GOD does not love the aggressors.

[2:191] ...Kill those who wage war against you, and evict them whence they evicted you. Oppression is worse than murder. Do not fight them at the Sacred Masjid, unless they attack you therein. If they attack you, you may kill them. This is the just retribution for those disbelievers.

[2:192] If they refrain, then GOD is the Forgiver, Most Merciful.

[2:193] Fight them to eliminate oppression, and until the faith is for Allah. But if they refrain, you shall not aggress; aggression is permitted only against the aggressors.

[5:87] O you who believe, do not prohibit good things that are made lawful by GOD, and do not aggress; GOD dislikes the aggressors.

[8:61] If they resort to peace, so shall you, and put your trust in GOD. He is the Hearer, the Omniscient.

[4:90] ... if they leave you alone, refrain from fighting you, and offer you peace, then GOD gives you no excuse to fight them.

[6:151] Say, "Come let me tell you what your Lord has really prohibited for you: You shall not set up idols besides Him. You shall honor your parents. You shall not kill your children from fear of poverty - we provide for you and for them. You shall not commit gross sins, obvious or hidden. You shall not kill - GOD has made life sacred - except in the course of justice. [/b]These are His commandments to you, that you may understand."

[17:33] [b]You shall not kill any person - for GOD has made life sacred - except in the course of justice
. If one is killed unjustly, then we give his heir authority to enforce justice. Thus, he shall not exceed the limits in avenging the murder; he will be helped.

[25:68] ...and those (the servants of the Merciful) who never worship beside GOD any other god, nor do they kill anyone - for GOD has made life sacred - except in the course of justice. Nor do they commit adultery. Those who commit these offenses will have to pay. The punishment will be multiplied for him on the Day of resurrection...

[60:8] ... Allah does not forbid you from those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes - from being righteous toward them and acting justly toward them. Indeed, Allah loves those who act justly.

These are just a few of the verses that limit us from aggressive attacks against others, or killing innocent people, and command us to act justly towards those who do not seek to attack us. Practically speaking, the prophet (ﷺ) never fought a battle in which he was the aggressor. He preferred peace treaties if it was possible, but his greatest crime in the eyes of non-Muslims is that he did not teach Muslims the impractical fallacy of 'turning the other cheek'.

So in a word, we do not seek war in any context, so we are peaceful, but we do not run away from it either.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by johnydon22(m): 8:58am On Jan 27, 2017
jcross19:
you too bring an evidence that prove that radical christians wrecking havoc in the community.
here is an appetizer https://www.nairaland.com/3594638/elderly-woman-accused-witchcraft-beaten

1 Like

Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:07am On Jan 27, 2017
Farmerforlife what about the alledged law of abrogation? Is surah 9 also on defensive wars?

1 Like

Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by jcross19: 9:23am On Jan 27, 2017
johnydon22:
here is an appetizer https://www.nairaland.com/3594638/elderly-woman-accused-witchcraft-beaten
I saw the post on the forum and am saying it now that any person can do that or bear christian name that does not make him, her or them a christian basic. A good christian will know that we are not wrestling against the flesh so!!!!. There is flaw in every religion on earth but for christianity rascarlity is not the dent . In india from 1993 to 2013, 10million young ladies have been killed for witchery and no atheist have seen or talked about it it. You can google it yourself sir.

1 Like

Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by johnydon22(m): 9:56am On Jan 27, 2017
jcross19:
I saw the post on the forum and am saying it now that any person can do that or bear christian name that does not make him, her or them a christian basic. A good christian will know that we are not wrestling against the flesh so!!!!. There is flaw in every religion on earth but for christianity rascarlity is not the dent . In india from 1993 to 2013, 10million young ladies have been killed for witchery and no atheist have seen or talked about it it. You can google it yourself sir.
this is called the true scots man fallacy... Trying to redefine the meaning of a christian when stumped...
Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by annunaki2(m): 10:35am On Jan 27, 2017
johnydon22:
this is called the true scots man fallacy... Trying to redefine the meaning of a christian when stumped...

When you show pure christian teachings from christ himself that justifies beating the alleged witch, we will start taking your bigotry seriously.

3 Likes

Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by johnydon22(m): 10:40am On Jan 27, 2017
annunaki2:

When you show pure christian teachings from christ himself that justifies beating the alleged witch, we will start taking your bigotry seriously.

Go play with your mates. I dont have time to waste on you.

2 Likes

Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by annunaki2(m): 10:43am On Jan 27, 2017
johnydon22:

Go play with your mates. I dont have time to waste on you.

2 Likes

Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by Ubenedictus(m): 4:42pm On Jan 27, 2017
[quote author=annunaki2 post=53172374][/quote] u and johnydon are off topic.
Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by annunaki2(m): 5:18pm On Jan 27, 2017
Ubenedictus:
u and johnydon are off topic.

It's johnydunce that keeps dragging Christianity into strictly islamic threads.

3 Likes

Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by Ubenedictus(m): 5:45pm On Jan 27, 2017
annunaki2:

It's johnydunce that keeps dragging Christianity into strictly islamic threads.
Then dont indulge him and try not to insult him.
Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by alBHAGDADI: 7:02pm On Jan 27, 2017
johnydon22:

i am not here to start quoting the scriptures with you, i am here to condemn acts of terrorism both religions has poured on the world due to the 'dominate the world' ideology both possess.

i judge a person based on their action not what your scripture says because i am sure none of you holds to 40% of what the scriptures says.

Jesus and Muhammed are two different dead indviduals, i am not here to argue which of them is better than the other rather i am here to castigate the actions of their so-called followers whose actions certainly affects even me.
Your hatred for Christianity will one day lead to your doom.

Thus thread was clearly about Islam. I wonder why anyone would want to drag Christianity into it, if not for hatred. The worse part is that you have stylishly neglected Islam and focused on Christianity even when you can't back your claims up with Bible verses.

Your last paragraph: As long as nobody says he does crime or terror act in the name of Christianity, you have no right to blame such a person's religion for his actions when you clearly know that the author of such religion preached against such and never did such. He even prayed for those that inflicted evil in him.

Can you now see why you shouldn't have brought Christianity into the matter?

5 Likes

Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jan 29, 2017
Ubenedictus:
Farmerforlife what about the alledged law of abrogation? Is surah 9 also on defensive wars?

We understand all verses of the Quran in the context in which the prophet (ﷺ) applied them. The abrogated verses are clear (from the explanatory hadith), what verses abrogated them is also clear. We cannot just declare a verse abrogated because it does not agree with our desires. There must be backing evidence.
Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by Kay17: 4:23pm On Jan 29, 2017
In order to judge Islam solely on its merits we require a deep understanding and insight of the historical background of the religion as well as the competing theologies and perspectives within the religion.

For me there is hardly the expertise within this forum to judge Islam or a united perspective within Islam to form the basis of a criticism against it.

1 Like

Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by Ubenedictus(m): 4:44pm On Jan 29, 2017
Farmerforlife:

We understand all verses of the Quran in the context in which the prophet (ﷺ) applied them. The abrogated verses are clear (from the explanatory hadith), what verses abrogated them is also clear. We cannot just declare a verse abrogated because it does not agree with our desires. There must be backing evidence.
OK, lets see.

surah 2 says there is no compulsion in religion while surah3:83) - "Are they seeking a religion other than Allah's, when every soul in the
heavens and the earth has submitted to Him, willingly or by
compulsion?

Hope u can see? one verse says no compulsion another says every soul must submit willingly or by compulsion. How do u reconcile them without abrogateing the earlier for the later?

1 Like

Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by Ubenedictus(m): 4:50pm On Jan 29, 2017
Ubenedictus:
OK, lets see.

surah 2 says there is no compulsion in religion while surah3:83) - "Are they seeking a religion other than Allah's, when every soul in the
heavens and the earth has submitted to Him, willingly or by
compulsion?

Hope u can see? one verse says no compulsion another says every soul must submit willingly or by compulsion. How do u reconcile them without abrogateing the earlier for the later?
Here we see the compulsion verses been observed
Sahih Bukhari (2:24) - "Allah's Apostle said: "I have been ordered (by Allah) to fight against the people until they testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and that Muhammad is Allah's Apostle, and offer the prayers perfectly and give the
obligatory charity, so if they perform a that, then they save their lives and property from me except for Islamic laws and then their reckoning (accounts) will be done by Allah."
Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by Ubenedictus(m): 4:53pm On Jan 29, 2017
Kay17:
In order to judge Islam solely on its merits we require a deep understanding and insight of the historical background of the religion as well as the competing theologies and perspectives within the religion.

For me there is hardly the expertise within this forum to judge Islam or a united perspective within Islam to form the basis of a criticism against it.
Are there competing theologies as regards the use of violence? is there any school that advocates non violence?
Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by Ubenedictus(m): 5:07pm On Jan 29, 2017
Farmerforlife:

I did a little play around muslim literature, see what i found:

Ibn Ishaq/Hisham 959 - Then the apostle sent Khalid bin Walid…
to the Banu al-Harith and ordered him to invite them to Islam three days before he
attacked them. If they
accepted then he was to accept it from them, and if they declined he was to fight them.
So Khalid set out and came to them, and sent out riders in all
directions inviting the people to Islam, saying, “If you accept Islam you will be safe.” So the men accepted Islam as they were invited.
Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by analice107: 6:56pm On Jan 29, 2017
johnydon22:

i am not here to start quoting the scriptures with you, i am here to condemn acts of terrorism both religions has poured on the world due to the 'dominate the world' ideology both possess.

i judge a person based on their action not what your scripture says because i am sure none of you holds to 40% of what the scriptures says.

Jesus and Muhammed are two different dead indviduals, i am not here to argue which of them is better than the other rather i am here to castigate the actions of their so-called followers whose actions certainly affects even me.
My dear, a question was asked, why not just answer the question and stop compounding issues? You just can't come rightly to defend Islam, so you merge all together.

The Op is about Islam, why not face it? Na waooo.

4 Likes

Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by analice107: 6:59pm On Jan 29, 2017
MrMontella:

this is nonsense...

Ive seen muslims on this forum pick out verses in the quran by muhammed himself...condemning terroristic acts..

And your statement about jesus would be arguable.....had it been the christian bible had only the four gospels..
Call them up to quote the koran again lets see. They only tell you that the prophet instructed them to kill only during war or self defence. But ask yourself this, who is fighting war with Muslims now for them to defend themselves by killing 1000 Christians?

If you can't answer the up why not just pass.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 29, 2017
Ubenedictus:

I did a little play around muslim literature, see what i found:

Ibn Ishaq/Hisham 959 - Then the apostle sent Khalid bin Walid…
to the Banu al-Harith and ordered him to invite them to Islam three days before he
attacked them. If they
accepted then he was to accept it from them, and if they declined he was to fight them.
So Khalid set out and came to them, and sent out riders in all
directions inviting the people to Islam, saying, “If you accept Islam you will be safe.” So the men accepted Islam as they were invited.

This incident is not authenticated. Scholars have long had issues with the stories of historians that have dubious chains of narrators. In most cases historians themselves have stated that all the stories they have narrated are not authentic (such as atTabari, who also related this incident). This is why Muslim scholars have differentiated between stories from historians and hadith from compilers of narrations. Also, in extracting religious rulings, only hadith narrations are relied upon in interpreting Quranic verses, historical stories are not.

As a by-the-way, even if we accept the story as true, we realise even from ibn Hisham himself that the prophet (ﷺ) was not very happy with the actions of Khalid ibn alWaleed (رضي الله عنه).

"News of bloodshed reached the Prophet Muhammad. He was deeply grieved and raised his hands towards the heaven, uttering these words: "O Allâh! I am innocent of what Khalid has done," twice. He immediately sent ‘Ali to make every possible reparation to the tribes who had been wronged. After a careful inquiry, ‘Ali paid the blood-money to all those who suffered loss. The remaining portion was also distributed amongst the members of the tribe in order to alleviate their suffering."

But like I said, the story has no authentic chain of narrators, so it is not a source of Islamic law.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:37pm On Jan 30, 2017
Farmerforlife:

This incident is not authenticated. Scholars have long had issues with the stories of historians that have dubious chains of narrators. In most cases historians themselves have stated that all the stories they have narrated are not authentic (such as atTabari, who also related this incident). This is why Muslim scholars have differentiated between stories from historians and hadith from compilers of narrations. Also, in extracting religious rulings, only hadith narrations are relied upon in interpreting Quranic verses, historical stories are not.

As a by-the-way, even if we accept the story as true, we realise even from ibn Hisham himself that the prophet (ﷺ) was not very happy with the actions of Khalid ibn alWaleed
it is ok if u reject that story as untrue and claim muhamed never sent someone to compel people to islam but that isnt the only story even in d hadith. can u reject all of them?

what about surah 3:83 that seems to allow compulsion?

1 Like

Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by Kay17: 7:20am On Feb 01, 2017
Ubenedictus:
Are there competing theologies as regards the use of violence? is there any school that advocates non violence?

There are Sufis that reject violence absolutely.
Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Feb 01, 2017
Ubenedictus:
it is ok if u reject that story as untrue and claim muhamed never sent someone to compel people to islam but that isnt the only story even in d hadith. can u reject all of them?

Give them to me on a story by story basis, I cannot respond to a general accusation. Bear in mind however, that historians are not considered as sharii evidence, and most of their stories are weak, if not downright fabricated. You can read up on the opinions of scholars concerning the early historians like alWaqidi, ibn Hisham, atTabarani etc if you want to be sure that I am not just denying these stories on my own. That the early historians mixed weak and authentic stories without differentiation is general knowledge.

As for 3:83, I do not see any way in which it encourages Muslims to compel conversion to Islam. The whole tone of the verse is reported speech, and most scholars (like Qatada) have either interpreted it to refer to the fact that either we will willingly submit to God in this world, or unwillingly in the hereafter when all things become clear. In fact, the verse puts 'those on earth and in the heavens' as submitting to God willingly or by compulsion, how can it be taken to mean conversion, is there conversion in the heavens, or are we being commanded to fight there? Interpreting that verse to imply a command to convert people by force leads to an absurdity.

In any case, I have already pointed out verses which tell us not to fight unless we are attacked first etc. Any verse commanding us to fight must be understood in that context. We do not ignore parts of the Quran and implement other parts, all parts must be analysed before making a ruling. The ruling therefore is that we must fight when opressed, but only then. We are prohibited from oppressing others or being the aggressors.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by alfarouq(m): 7:04am On Feb 02, 2017
Ubenedictus:

In addition to what Farmer 4life has said, scholars explained that the statement submitting willingly or by force to mean
Allah has the power to enforce all humans to obey and always follow his commands like he did with the angels but he decided to allow man to chose whether to willingly submit or not.
But there are instances he has also forced man to obey his will which include forcing all to eat, sleep, excrete, drink, etc whether such person is theist or atheist, old or young, rich or poor.
Those that willingly submitted are the Muslims.
Islam encourages peace and order but it does not support pacifism.
Sometimes to establish peace and order, you need both the stick and carrot approach.
Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:13am On Feb 02, 2017
alfarouq:

In addition to what Farmer 4life has said, scholars explained that the statement submitting willingly or by force to mean
Allah has the power to enforce all humans to obey and always follow his commands like he did with the angels but he decided to allow man to chose whether to willingly submit or not.
But there are instances he has also forced man to obey his will which include forcing all to eat, sleep, excrete, drink, etc whether such person is theist or atheist, old or young, rich or poor.
Those that willingly submitted are the Muslims.
Islam encourages peace and order but it does not support pacifism.
Sometimes to establish peace and order, you need both the stick and carrot approach.
So u mean sumtimes it is ok to kill people just so they submit to allah even when they dont want to, is that not the definition of violent?

1 Like

Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:27am On Feb 02, 2017
Kay17:

There are Sufis that reject violence absolutely.
Hmmm, yes, the sufis.
Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:28am On Feb 02, 2017
farmerforlife Sahih Muslim (1:33) The Messenger of Allah said: "I have been commanded to fight against people till they testify that there is no god but Allah, that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah, and they establish prayer and pay zakat.

1 Like

Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:32am On Feb 02, 2017
Ubenedictus:
farmerforlife Sahih Muslim (1:33) The Messenger of Allah said: "I have been commanded to fight against people till they testify that there is no god but Allah, that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah, and they establish prayer and pay zakat.
Sahih Muslim (19:4294) - "When you meet your enemies who are polytheists, invite them to three courses of action. If they respond to any one of these, you also accept it and withhold
yourself from doing them any harm. Invite them to (accept) Islam; if they respond to you, accept it from them and desist from fighting against them ... If they refuse to accept Islam, demand from them the Jizya. If
they agree to pay, accept it from them and hold off your hands. If they refuse to pay the tax, seek Allah's help and fight them.
Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Feb 02, 2017
Sorry if I do not respond on time. Sometimes I do not see your mentions until later.

Ubenedictus:
farmerforlife Sahih Muslim (1:33) The Messenger of Allah said: "I
have been commanded to fight
against people till they testify
that there is no god but Allah,
that Muhammad is the
messenger of Allah, and they establish prayer and pay
zakat.

Again it is in the context of responding to aggression. The verse forbidding being initial aggressors is always hanging over our heads. Any other evidence we present, must fall under its purview because it specifies and limits the precise condition under which we may slay, fight, kill etc

Ubenedictus:
Sahih Muslim (19:4294) - "When you meet your enemies who are polytheists, invite them to three courses of action. If they respond to any one of these, you also accept it and withhold
yourself from doing them any harm. Invite them to (accept) Islam; if they respond to you, accept it from them and desist from fighting against them ... If they refuse to accept Islam, demand from them the Jizya. If
they agree to pay, accept it from them and hold off your hands. If they refuse to pay the tax, seek Allah's help and fight them.

Ah I have bolded the operative word in the cited hadith. Interprete accordingly.
Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by alfarouq(m): 6:06pm On Feb 02, 2017
Ubenedictus:
So u mean sumtimes it is ok to kill people just so they submit to allah even when they dont want to, is that not the definition of violent?
I am sorry for responding late, I am currently serving my fatherland in a where network access is a luxury.
Please kindly reread what I posted, I said sometimes the only way to restore law and order might require the use of force.
I will like you while you are at it to learn more about true Islamic history not those written by Muslim haters. You will find out that apart from the companions of the prophet, most of the people that have always work and serve as protectors of the Islamic faith and Muslims were not arabs, were not born Muslims but they are people that conquer Muslim lands, enslave its people but later learnt about the truth and justice of Islam and then accepted Islam and end up as its soldiers and protectors.
You might have heard of salahudeen ayyub a Kurd. His mentor nuraddin zengi who defended Islam and Muslims against the aggression of crusaders. There are also the Seljuk turks, mamluks ( warrior slaves) used in battle which today is the origin of private armies, the Tatars whose descendants are found in eastern Europe particularly, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, the Kahn's of India, the Mongolian descendants of Genghis Kahn.
Most of this people are the descendants of people who conquer Islamic lands and later fall in love with the justice of Islam. They lead the expansion of Islam into Europe.
It is very unreasonable to think that people that have conquered and have the control of Islamic world were been forcefully converted into Muslims.
It's very difficult to point at any descendants of the early Muslims who are Arabs military or diplomatic contribution towards the expansion of Islam.
I might not be able to respond to questions for reasons stated above but I will try whenever accorded that luxury.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Islam Inherently Peace Or Violent? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:16pm On Feb 09, 2017
Farmerforlife:
Sorry if I do not respond on time. Sometimes I do not see your mentions until later.

Again it is in the context of responding to aggression. The verse forbidding being initial aggressors is always hanging over our heads. Any other evidence we present, must fall under its purview because it specifies and limits the precise condition under which we may slay, fight, kill etc

i hope u are aware that muhammed pbuh spent the last yrs of his life expelling all non muslim frm d arabian penisula, that is d background of surah 9. he gave muslims d right to break all treaties 4 months after hajj.

farmerforlife Sahih Muslim (1:33)
The Messenger of Allah said: "I
have been commanded to fight
against people till they testify that
there is no god but Allah, that
Muhammad is the messenger of Allah, and they establish prayer
and pay zakat.

Ah I have bolded the operative word in the cited hadith. Interprete accordingly.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Happy Islamic New Year 1445 / Lets Analyze This Hadeeth / An Islamic View on Solar and Lunar Eclipse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.