Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,792 members, 7,813,620 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:03 PM

Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF (22759 Views)

7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers / 8 Important Factor Nigeria Fresh Graduate Needs 2 Consider Before You Submit Cv / "Don't Ever Take No For An Answer" - Pretty Lady Says After Getting A Job.Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by brokenplate: 10:02pm On Jan 26, 2017
Don't do it.
I know PDF have better format but endeavor to resist every voice that convinces you to do so.

I worked as a talent acquisition personnel for close to a year and I came to understand why.

Most HR works with a database system that extracts CVs from their inbox and uploaded into the system.

The database only recognizes files in doc/docx format.

PDF files are reported as error files and end up being trashed.

With the workload no HR wi be chanced to start converting PDF file to doc file.

On some occasions it will be required that your CVs are profiled , Woking with PDF will render it almost impossible.

Who no go no know.

So even when you are given the option to send PDF files always opt for doc .

You will never go wrong sending your CVs in doc format.

Cheers

59 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by Lazypoet75(m): 10:34pm On Jan 26, 2017
God bless you bro! Gold bless you!

7 Likes

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by Sambest2(m): 10:47pm On Jan 26, 2017
True

1 Like

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by crackhouse(m): 11:17pm On Jan 26, 2017
What of if u type ur CV with microsoft word 2010 and the reader have 2003 in his or her computer. What do u think will happen to it when it's opened with 2003 edition.

31 Likes

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jan 26, 2017
Crap! Some recruiters request for PDF, some talent acquisition softwares provide options for PDF. Infact when you re done uploading in word, it's saved in a PDF format. Taleo.net most especially. Sometimes, the word version you created your Created your CV might not be available to the recruiter... i.e your CV is in 2017 version while the recruiter uses 2013. It's best to follow instructions, don't mislead people!

126 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by Airoflaw(m): 11:28pm On Jan 26, 2017
confusion everywhere...don't do this, don't do that...I had better send both

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by dingbang(m): 12:13am On Jan 27, 2017
Nigerian HR staff are the most confused set of people on earth..

35 Likes

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by igorekpengmail: 1:47am On Jan 27, 2017
You are not correct.
You would have just said ur HR system dosnt support the file extension .pdf but only supports .doc or .docx
Very simple.

I don't like that.

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by brokenplate: 2:05am On Jan 27, 2017
majekdom2:
Crap! Some recruiters request for PDF, some talent acquisition softwares provides options for PDF. Infact when you re done uploading in word, it's saved in a PDF format. Taleo.net most especially. Sometimes, the word version you created your Created your CV might not be available to the recruiter... i.e your CV is in 2017 version while the recruiter uses 2013. It's best to follow instructions, don't mislead people!

If you want to ask question you better do. Your statement appears you know it all so I am afraid needs no response.

3 Likes

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by brokenplate: 2:30am On Jan 27, 2017
dingbang:
Nigerian HR staff are the most confused set of people on earth..

Hi, just like I said the system used in processing your CVs are called ATS (Applicant Tracking System).

This system helps HR to do keyword search and store CVs for central access.
ATS have always had difficult times reading PDFs .

Through modern version of ATS might accept PDFs(as used abroad) errors are being encountered still.

Pls visit this link by a foreign HR. You probably get better understanding.

Resume vs ATS System
https://www./strong-resume-vs-job-application-samuel-nelson

3 Likes

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by brokenplate: 2:31am On Jan 27, 2017
igorekpengmail:
You are not correct.
You would have just said ur HR system dosnt support the file extension .pdf but only supports .doc or .docx
Very simple.

I don't like that.

Hi, just like I said the system used in processing your CVs are called ATS (Applicant Tracking System).

Through modern version of ATS might accept PDFs(as used abroad) errors are being encountered still.

Resume vs ATS System
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)

1 Like

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by brokenplate: 2:33am On Jan 27, 2017
Airoflaw:
confusion everywhere...don't do this, don't do that...I had better send both

Sending both is better than sending in just PDF.
But it could strike some HR as indecision

4 Likes

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by brokenplate: 2:35am On Jan 27, 2017
crackhouse:
What of if u type ur CV with microsoft word 2010 and the reader have 2003 in his or her computer. What do u think will happen to it when it's opened with 2003 edition.

After wording your CV , you have an option to save it in a mode that's readable by virtully all versions of Mword.
Save in compatibility mode.
That solves it.

4 Likes

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by dingbang(m): 6:36am On Jan 27, 2017
brokenplate:

Resume vs ATS System

I need to really give u a serious konk... Aren't they the same people who request CVS are better sent in PDF format? Dammit. Nigerians sef

2 Likes

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by napoleon77(m): 7:13am On Jan 27, 2017
brokenplate:

Resume vs ATS System

Very untrue! Modern ATS accepts PDF without errors!
Recruiters usually specify the format that they want for your CV whether it's word (doc or docx) or PDF. So simply follow instructions. Don't just rule out PDF!
What's the relevance of quoting a "foreign" HR? See my attachment.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by sipsip(m): 7:21am On Jan 27, 2017
Sir, I've been a HR Executive for two years and five months now and I must say, this is the most misleading assertion I've heard. That's just not true. The format you submit depends on what the recruiter requests for. Simply follow instructions. Wonder why some of you just talk anyhow just to gain likes... Regards, Sipsip.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by brokenplate: 7:35am On Jan 27, 2017
sipsip:
Sit, I've been a HR Executive for two years and five months now and I must say, this is the most misleading assertion I've heard. That's just not true. The format you submit depends on what the recruiter requests for. Simply follow instructions. Wonder why done of you just talk anyhow just to gain likes... Regards, Sipsip.

Hey bro who's here to compete how long we held the HR role?
What happens when you request a Doc and get all PDFs ?
If you want to be sincere what format are candidates most likely to send CVs and what format is mostly requested ?

2 Likes

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by Sambest2(m): 7:36am On Jan 27, 2017
Unless specifically told to upload a .PDF CV, it is always advisable to upload a .doc or .docx CV. Simple!.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by Nobody: 7:42am On Jan 27, 2017
Thank God say na Ms Excel I take dey save my CV. At least I dey receive plenty GNLD job invites.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by brokenplate: 7:43am On Jan 27, 2017
napoleon77:

Recruiters usually specify the format that want for your CV whether it's word (doc or docx) or PDF. So simply follow instructions. Don't just rule out PDF!

I am not ruling out PDF actually. I can categorically tell you that most of our HR systems have not being upgraded to process PDF.

The painful aspect about it all is that it will be vividly stated that " all CVs should be submitted in word " but Ok will still get over 30% response in PDF.
And guess what? Most of the PDF profile are so perfect for the role .
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by brokenplate: 7:46am On Jan 27, 2017
napoleon77:

Recruiters usually specify the format that want for your CV whether it's word (doc or docx) or PDF. So simply follow instructions. Don't just rule out PDF!

People don't use the rule bro!
PDF is more conducive for the candidate and more work for the HR.

That's why doc is always preferable. It is still easier to convert from Doc to PDF than PDF to Word.
I guess you can attest
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by napoleon77(m): 7:48am On Jan 27, 2017
brokenplate:

I am not ruling out PDF actually. I can categorically tell you that most of our HR systems have not being upgraded to process PDF. How do you know?

The painful aspect about it all is that it will be vividly stated that " all CVs should be submitted in word " but Ok will still get over 30% response in PDF.
If you can't follow instructions then you shouldn't get a role!

4 Likes

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by brokenplate: 7:48am On Jan 27, 2017
Sambest2:
Unless specifically told to upload a .PDF CV, it is always advisable to upload a .doc or .docx CV. Simple!.

You nailed it bro.

1 Like

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by brokenplate: 7:52am On Jan 27, 2017
My job helped me to communicate with tons of HR professionals. So believe my assertion.

napoleon77:
If you can't follow instructions then you shouldn't get a role!

That's not fair! That's why I have taken the pain to educate them. I had PDF as my default format when applying for jobs prior to my said role. Never again.
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by sipsip(m): 7:53am On Jan 27, 2017
brokenplate:

Hey bro who's here to compete how long we held the HR role?
What happens when you request a Doc and get all PDFs ?
If you want to be sincere what format are candidates most likely to send CVs and what format is mostly requested ?

Hey Bro, who's here to answer all your questions?
Do i look like i care about your attempt at being smart?
I just said what is applicable so others are not mislead.
For the answers to your questions, read your second question again. Follow instructions.
Hey bro, good day. Its too early in the day.

8 Likes

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by brokenplate: 8:11am On Jan 27, 2017
sipsip:

Hey Bro, who's here to answer all your questions?
Do i look like i care about your attempt at being smart?
I just said what is applicable so others are not mislead.
For the answers to your questions, read your second question again. Follow instructions.
Hey bro, good day. Its too early in the day.

Aii good day

1 Like

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by brokenplate: 8:12am On Jan 27, 2017
LastMumu:
Thank God say na Ms Excel I take dey save my CV. At least I dey receive plenty GNLD job invites.

Smh

grin grin
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by lollmaolol(m): 8:14am On Jan 27, 2017
majekdom2:
Crap! Some recruiters request for PDF, some talent acquisition softwares provides options for PDF. Infact when you re done uploading in word, it's saved in a PDF format. Taleo.net most especially. Sometimes, the word version you created your Created your CV might not be available to the recruiter... i.e your CV is in 2017 version while the recruiter uses 2013. It's best to follow instructions, don't mislead people!

Tra tra trash!! PDF all the way!
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by Nobody: 9:26am On Jan 27, 2017
brokenplate:

If you want to ask question you better do. Your statement appears you know it all so I am afraid needs no response.
I just put up what I know. How does it appear like I know it all. Speak what you know. Have you used all HCM softwares? Speak for yourself, simple!

2 Likes

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by Nobody: 9:32am On Jan 27, 2017
brokenplate:

I am not ruling out PDF actually. I can categorically tell you that most of our HR systems have not being upgraded to process PDF.

Oga, some ask for PDF. Do you want me to show you examples. Put simply, follow instructions instead of misleading people.

2 Likes

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by geostrata(m): 10:23am On Jan 27, 2017
angry
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by miqos02(m): 10:23am On Jan 27, 2017
k

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sumeru Nigeria Limited Recruitment / Mass Recruitment: Federal University Of Petroleum Resources (fupre), Nigeria / Please I Need More Information About Workforce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.