Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,998 members, 7,835,355 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:09 AM

Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF (22814 Views)

7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers / 8 Important Factor Nigeria Fresh Graduate Needs 2 Consider Before You Submit Cv / "Don't Ever Take No For An Answer" - Pretty Lady Says After Getting A Job.Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by Nobody: 10:24am On Jan 27, 2017
Some jobs may demand otherwise so its not all encompassing

Thanks though
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by shevchenko(m): 10:24am On Jan 27, 2017
This is trash
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by davidque007(m): 10:25am On Jan 27, 2017
submit in whatever format you are asked to submit, and if not specified, submit an MS. Word document
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by Solmax(m): 10:30am On Jan 27, 2017
I have submitted my CV as PDF when it was specified and got my opportunity .
Also there are automatic database systems that scan for keywords from PDF or any other text format documents so please don't miss inform others.

1 Like

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by chloedogie(m): 10:32am On Jan 27, 2017
The kind of wrong unconfirmed info that makes front page on Nairaland these days makes me loose interest opening this website. Sincerely I was telling a colleague two days ago that very soon, I will delete my account on nairaland and never visit the site again. If one keep reading and digesting all these false news and info, before you know it you become a custodian of garbage. Think this forum is loosing credibility and sanity. My kobo observation sha. Have a lot of executives complaining about opening this website. You guys need to redraw your scopes and operations. You push just anything to the front page. Just anything.

4 Likes

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by AndyMolarAllwel(m): 10:40am On Jan 27, 2017
brokenplate:
Don't do it.
I know PDF have better format but endeavor to resist every voice that convinces you to do so.

I worked as a talent acquisition personnel for close to a year and I came to understand why.

Most HR works with a database system that extracts CVs from their inbox and uploaded into the system.

The database only recognizes files in doc/docx format.

PDF files are reported as error files and end up being trashed.

With the workload no HR wi be chanced to start converting PDF file to doc file.

On some occasions it will be required that your CVs are profiled , Woking with PDF will render it almost impossible.

Who no go no know.

So even when you are given the option to send PDF files always opt for doc .

You will never go wrong sending your CVs in doc format.

Cheers

Why did u post this rubbish here, since I hv been on NL, this is worst post I hv ever read. Atleast I have 6yrs experience in this field till date in 2 diff countries

1 Like

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by BigIyanga: 10:44am On Jan 27, 2017
brokenplate:
Don't do it.
I know PDF have better format but endeavor to resist every voice that convinces you to do so.

I worked as a talent acquisition personnel for close to a year and I came to understand why.

Most HR works with a database system that extracts CVs from their inbox and uploaded into the system.

On some occasions it will be required that your CVs are profiled , Woking with PDF will render it almost impossible.

Who no go no know.

Cheers
Your grammatical construction sucks!!
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by emsco(m): 10:46am On Jan 27, 2017
Dont do this,dont do that? Keep misleading people
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by femi4: 11:13am On Jan 27, 2017
brokenplate:
Don't do it.

Who no go no know.

Cheers
Crap! Some recruiters do request for pdf format only.

Infact, in those days of looking for job.....some asked for your CV in excel format.

When it comes to job hunting, there are no permanent rules.

He that pays the piper dictates its tune.

1 Like

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by Elin: 11:14am On Jan 27, 2017
What if u send ur CV in Corel draw X3 will it work grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by crownbryan(m): 11:20am On Jan 27, 2017
Op is right.

Meanwhile, should-schools-expel-teenagers-who-get-pregnant; what-can-a-parent-do? join the discussion

http://www.allaboutschoolsng.com/discussion-forum/school-matters/2-should-schools-expel-teenagers-who-get-pregnant-what-can-a-parent-do
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by harmbhrosz(m): 11:36am On Jan 27, 2017
brokenplate:

Hi, just like I said the system used in processing your CVs are called ATS (Applicant Tracking System).

This system helps HR to do keyword search and store CVs for central access.
ATS have always had difficult times reading PDFs .

Through modern version of ATS might accept PDFs(as used abroad) errors are being encountered still.

Pls visit this link by a foreign HR. You probably get better understanding.

Resume vs ATS System
https://www./strong-resume-vs-job-application-samuel-nelson

Kindly tell your firm to update their applications... This is 2017

1 Like

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by texazzpete(m): 11:41am On Jan 27, 2017
brokenplate:

Hey bro who's here to compete how long we held the HR role?
What happens when you request a Doc and get all PDFs ?
If you want to be sincere what format are candidates most likely to send CVs and what format is mostly requested ?

At this point you're rapidly losing credibility. Don't be ridiculous.

1 Like

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jan 27, 2017
crackhouse:
What of if u type ur CV with microsoft word 2010 and the reader have 2003 in his or her computer. What do u think will happen to it when it's opened with 2003 edition.
Save your document in compatibility mode
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by brokenplate: 12:22pm On Jan 27, 2017
BigIyanga:

Your grammatical construction sucks!!

Congrats Tracy Chapman. Your English teacher deserves a medal.
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by Omonigeriarere: 12:40pm On Jan 27, 2017
majekdom2:
Crap! Some recruiters request for PDF, some talent acquisition softwares provide options for PDF. Infact when you re done uploading in word, it's saved in a PDF format. Taleo.net most especially. Sometimes, the word version you created your Created your CV might not be available to the recruiter... i.e your CV is in 2017 version while the recruiter uses 2013. It's best to follow instructions, don't mislead people!

You just spoke my mind. For numerous reasons I don't have time to be mentioning here, PDF format still remains the best option.
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by lakesider(m): 12:47pm On Jan 27, 2017
Naira land and confusion na 5nf 6
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by juanmiguel: 12:50pm On Jan 27, 2017
crackhouse:
What of if u type ur CV with microsoft word 2010 and the reader have 2003 in his or her computer. What do u think will happen to it when it's opened with 2003 edition.
Save it with a lower version format like 97-2003 document. with that, the person can open it.
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by Rainmaker69(m): 1:10pm On Jan 27, 2017
This is very bad advice. The security implications of using a .doc or .docx file are too many. Pdf remains the standard for secure communication in the corporate world. Don't hand your details over to data thieves who can rob your personality with ctrl + c and ctrl + v.

1 Like

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by Hiccups: 1:28pm On Jan 27, 2017
This is very misleading, I would say your ATS needs upgrade. PDF is more of acceptable standard format. However, where ATS of any Organization is not PDF compatible, its the HR business to emphasize word (version if necessary) format
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by Sambest2(m): 2:14pm On Jan 27, 2017
Rainmaker69:
This is very bad advice. The security implications of using a .doc or .docx file are too many. Pdf remains the standard for secure communication in the corporate world. Don't hand your details over to data thieves who can rob your personality with ctrl + c and ctrl + v.

And you think same can't be done with PDF file .

1 Like

Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by akokaite(m): 3:14pm On Jan 27, 2017
crackhouse:

save ur doc low version and open with any higher veraions.

Whenever ure typing ur doc, make sure u save with lower version i.e 1997 Microsoft office. The option is always there.
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by Pinkieblue(f): 3:17pm On Jan 27, 2017
Cornerstone insurance plc, is seeking to recruit energetic, strong-willed and focused individuals to join it's team of professionals in line with its growth and expansion plan.

Our organization was established to conduct insurance business in a customer focused manner.

Job title: Financial planner/Marketing Executive

How to Apply:

Interested and qualified candidates should send their cv to sahimolowo@cornerstone.com.ng
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by Yaasir(m): 6:15pm On Jan 27, 2017
Honestly the op is very correct to a very large extent. Follow what the op said to be on a safe side.
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by bamasite2: 7:27pm On Jan 27, 2017
Pinkieblue:
Cornerstone insurance plc, is seeking to recruit energetic, strong-willed and focused individuals to join it's team of professionals in line with its growth and expansion plan.

Our organization was established to conduct insurance business in a customer focused manner.

Job title: Financial planner/Marketing Executive

How to Apply:

Interested and qualified candidates should send their cv to sahimolowo@cornerstone.com.ng
Have you people started paying basic or still recruiting slaves on 100% commission so that their shoes can wear out faster? undecided undecided undecided
FREE & EXCITING BRAIN TRAINING PUZZLES HERE
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by Rainmaker69(m): 7:38pm On Jan 27, 2017
Sambest2:

And you think same can't be done with PDF file .
Thats not the issue my friend.
Pdfs have higher security features. Simple.
If you're to travel to Calabar from Lagos, You can choose to walk, travel by road or travel by air. All 3 methods will take you there. Choose wisely.
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by Sambest2(m): 8:01pm On Jan 27, 2017
Rainmaker69:

Thats not the issue my friend.
Pdfs have higher security features. Simple.
If you're to travel to Calabar from Lagos, You can choose to walk, travel by road or travel by air. All 3 methods will take you there. Choose wisely.

In terms of security, PDF are getting more insecure if you don't know because of its apparent acceptability using embedded macros and JavaScript, especially when PDF files are downloaded over the internet.

I personally like PDF because of its rendering, it won't scatter your document more like WYSIWYG unlike doc.
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by kpolli(m): 8:15pm On Jan 27, 2017
brokenplate:
Don't do it.

Who no go no know.

Cheers

Please do not confuse people, it is suggested you submit your CV or resume in PDF because it can't be edited.... The software that you use is way out of date, please call your former employers to update it......

I don't even reply recruiters or companies that as for word format anymore because one of them edited my contact details and put his and submitted to another company and I lost the opportunity because the interested company couldn't reach me directly
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jan 27, 2017
unless stated otherwise, it is best to share your cv in pdf format

i have always used the latest version of microsoft word, and i have experienced weird formatting glitches when sharing documents with people using lower versions

one could have spent 15 minutes cramming a document into a single page, only to sen to someone using word 2010 and find the document as two pages.
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by mytym(m): 9:43pm On Jan 27, 2017
brokenplate:

Hey bro who's here to compete how long we held the HR role?
What happens when you request a Doc and get all PDFs ?
If you want to be sincere what format are candidates most likely to send CVs and what format is mostly requested ?

Those who saw doc in advert instructions and sent in PDF are the culprits and deserve whatever consequences.... Whether deliberately or oversight or omissions...They disobeyed simple instructions. One major quality expected of a potential employee is obedience.

Apparently you assumed and concluded that they'd rather send in PDF than .doc so you rushed to WARN them based on a very unstable scenario.

You have created a topic by pre-empting what applicants would or wouldn't do even under specific instructions....to what end?

Worse-off you're defending your very flawed opinion. That is ignorance.

@femi4 Pls loud it!
femi4:
Crap! Some recruiters do request for pdf format only.

Infact, in those days of looking for job.....some asked for your CV in excel format.

When it comes to job hunting, there are no permanent rules.

He that pays the piper dictates its tune.
Re: Don't Ever Submit CV In PDF by litaninja(m): 9:05am On Jan 28, 2017
Ladies and gentlemen...the OP is your standard confused Nigerian HR personnel.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Best Do I Answer A Query? (Photo) / Portal Shut As Kwara Garment Factory Gets Over 8,000 Applications In 48 Hours / A Friend Got This Message To Come For An Interview Can Someone Verify It For Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.