Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,785 members, 7,831,537 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:19 PM

Ways To Avoid Becoming A Victim Of Fulani Herdsmen Attacks - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Ways To Avoid Becoming A Victim Of Fulani Herdsmen Attacks (652 Views)

Herdsmen Attacks Sweep Through South-West / Killers Of Fulani Man, Alhaji Moggogo, Arrested & Handcuffed To Hospital Bed / Mass Burial Of Fulani Herdsmen Killed In Numan, Adamawa (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ways To Avoid Becoming A Victim Of Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by poyet(m): 3:36pm On Jan 27, 2017
One of the major issues contributing to the precarious essential of Nigeria is the fact that attacks (allegedly) by the Fulani herdsmen on persons and properties, as well as farmlands have not only become widespread, but so alarming that communities having the presence these Fulanis live in perpetual panic for their lives and paraphernalia.

The attacks I'm referring to are not the kidnappings, armed robbery, or other forms of criminalities perpetrated by this same group of people; I am talking about those premeditated and coordinated assaults unleashed on unsuspecting communities that usually leave trails of dead bodies and torched buildings in their wake.

In recent times, these attacks have become subjects of discourse in different fora and calls have been made to authorities to put a halt to them immediately in order to forestall the degeneration of the issue into something much more sinister than it presently is.

However, before authorities wade fully into the matter, there are you can play for you, your household, and community to stay safe, knowing how slow government responses are addressing issues.

Below are some of them:

1. Relocate If Your Community Is Threatened

It doesn't make sense to continue to stay if the area you live has been attacked previously and feel there is the possibility of replication of same, as well as no action has been taken after the previous attacks either by the community or government to secure you. It's better to stay alive and start rebuilding your life again than to remain there and end up dead.

2. Organize Sentries In Your Community

Most communities in the country have made some form of arrangements to secure their homes from thieves and robbers by way of organizing vigilantes and arming them with machetes clubs and other form of weaponry. Replicating same in areas might not be perfect, but it will go a long way. After all its far better than nothing. If you have guys on sentry throughout the night (knowing that most of the attacks happen at night), they will raise alarm when things go amiss, and the number of casualties will be greatly reduced, if the attack is not utterly repelled.

3. Sleep Shallowly

There are ways to sleep in time of peace and ways to sleep in time of Insecurity. If you are a deep sleeper in an area that Fulani herdsmen are pronounced, I promise, if care is not taken, one day you'll sleep and wake up on the other side of life. Don't let down your guards completely because of sleep. Always be quick to respond to sounds and noises so that if it means you need to escape, you will do so, or if it means to fight, you'll not be found wanting.

4. Defend Yourself

Self defence is acceptable globally. Since guns are not permitted in Nigeria, ensure that you have some form of tools at home that will be used as a weapon, at least. Give your attacker a fight rather than run away. If you can be licenced to have a rifle, no one is saying you shouldn't possess one. No die mumu; die gallantly!

5. Report Suspicious Activities Of Fulani Herdsmen

The saying that in an unjust society silence is a crime can be applied in no better situation than this, considering how folks have been slew by this group of persons. If you see something wrong with the way these guys behave in your area or somewhere else, say something, otherwise something horrendous could happen, if not to you, it could be to your loved ones.

6. Avoid Having Rift With Herdsmen

Just the way you wouldn't want your loved ones hurt by someone, the same way the Fulani man wouldn't want anything to happen to his cattle. Anything that would warrant you to fight with these guys should be reported to authorities. Taking the laws into your hands will only aggravate issues rather than solve them.

7. Don't Go Alone To Farm

Even though majority of the attacks carried out by the Fulanis are done at night, there have been reports of people being assaulted in broad daylight at their farms. If your area has the presence of Fulani herdsmen, and you must go to your farm, don't go alone, especially if the farm is far away from the community.

I hope this writeup has been helpful!
Let me get your feedback.
Thank you!
https://mysecurityfirst..com.ng/2017/01/ways-to-avoid-becoming-victim-of-fulani.html?m=1
Re: Ways To Avoid Becoming A Victim Of Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by Reader1988: 5:25am On Jan 28, 2017
Yes o. And let you not be anti-terrorist. Even if their cows feed on your farm. Appreciate them

Give my FTC some likes, so that I can cook the likes and help me out of recession

(1) (Reply)

Boy Abandoned Over Witchcraft Allegations, Is Set To Begin School (Photos) / Photos Of Police Wife Shot Dead And The Children Left Behind / See The Spoilt Beans Allegedly Served To Idps In Borno State. (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.