Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,494 members, 7,770,212 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:36 AM

Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? (42489 Views)

Breadfruit / The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! / Do You Hate Or Love Locust Beans? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by SeanT21(f): 3:29am On Dec 01, 2009
I despise these things so much. very bitter. YUCK.

Am I alone on this
?

Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by mamagee3(f): 3:30am On Dec 01, 2009
I hate Breadfruits
They are the nastiest fruit/food ever
. tongue
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by mohawkchic(f): 4:15am On Dec 01, 2009
[size=13pt] ~The pic got me a lil bit confused! I was expecting to see a Tangerine look-a-like but bigger. . .The skin is usually Yellow,the insides Orange. . .tastes sour. . .Are we on about the same thing here?

~If we are,then its called "BretFruit" back home. . .it's usually fried into chips. . i cud be wrong . . prolly just similar names/different fruits. . . .

~Will be checking Google in a mo. . .
[/size]
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by OgidiBoy(m): 4:18am On Dec 01, 2009
Do we have this breadfruit in Nigeria ?
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by mohawkchic(f): 4:21am On Dec 01, 2009
[size=13pt] ~Erh. . seems like me got it confused w/ some other fruit. . inside out!  grin I suppose I'll have to try to know! What does it taste like?
[img]http://emshort.files./2009/10/ars_breadfruit49.jpg[/img]

~For a moment i'm left wondering the name of the Tangerine look-a-like fruit undecided  Grapefruit!  cheesy
I really need some Zzzzzz's to help shift my brain into gear. . . grin
[/size]
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by SeanT21(f): 6:21am On Dec 01, 2009
Freaking horrible. Disgusting. Its very bitter. My step-daddy(RIP) used to boil it and cook it with gravy almost every Saturday morning for breakfast. I used to starve myself those mornings..

OgidiBoy:

Do we have this breadfruit in Nigeria ?

Yes, U guys have it.

Recipes:Fry, boil or roast.
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by iice(f): 5:40pm On Dec 01, 2009
mohawkchic:

[size=13pt] ~The pic got me a lil bit confused! I was expecting to see a Tangerine look-a-like but bigger. . .The skin is usually Yellow,the insides Orange. . .tastes sour. . .Are we on about the same thing here?

~If we are,then its called "BretFruit" back home. . .it's usually fried into chips. . i cud be wrong . . prolly just similar names/different fruits. . . .

~Will be checking Google in a mo. . .
[/size]

MC. . .i think the one you're talking about is Jackfruit (Jaca). Same family as bread fruit and don't like it.
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by Epi: 8:59pm On Dec 01, 2009
A rather interesting thread. Affi, your breadfruit pic looks like a breadnut fruit to me.(lol) grin
So I googled Jackfruit (first time hearing about it) and it's similiar to breadnut fruit. Curious to know what's the difference between breadnut fruit and Jackfruit. I wonder if it's the breadnut fruit turns yellow when ripe and y'all call it Jackfrut. Hmm, I will definitely dig more into this

Nice thread Affi, see I learn something new today

Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by Epi: 9:30pm On Dec 01, 2009
@topic:

Yes, I love breadfruit but only when it's ripe.

»»▒▒▒

Ok, so Jackfruit is different from breadnut fruit. Amazing!!

Definition: Enormous and prickly on the outside, jackfruit looks somewhat like durian (though jackfruit is usually even larger). Once a jackfruit is cracked open, what you will find inside are pods or "bulbs". Often referred to as the seeds, these bulbs are actually a kind of fleshy covering for the true seeds or pits, which are round and dark like chesnuts. The fleshy part (the "bulb"wink can be eaten as is, or cut up and cooked. When unripe (green), it is remarkably similar in texture to chicken, making jackfruit an excellent vegetarian substitute for meat. In fact, canned jackfruit (in brine) is sometimes referred to as "vegetable meat".

http://thaifood.about.com/od/glossary/g/jackfruit.htm
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by mohawkchic(f): 5:10am On Dec 02, 2009
SeanT21:

Freaking horrible. Disgusting. Its very bitter. My step-daddy(RIP) used to boil it and cook it with gravy almost every Saturday morning for breakfast. I used to starve myself those mornings..

[size=13pt]~Whoah!! I take back wanting to try it! grin[/size]
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by mohawkchic(f): 5:12am On Dec 02, 2009
iice:

MC. . .i think the one you're talking about is Jackfruit (Jaca).  Same family as bread fruit and don't like it. 

[size=13pt]~Ah! I just added two more fruits to my "I Dont Eat" list. . . cheesy[/size]
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by queenesthr(f): 1:12pm On Dec 02, 2009
The fruit in the picture is jack fruit and not bread fruit. Bread fruit looks similar but is much bigger. Bread fruit cannot be eaten raw.
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by Epi: 2:05pm On Dec 02, 2009
SeanT21:

Freaking horrible. Disgusting. [b]Its very bitter. My step-daddy(RIP) used to boil it and cook it with gravy almost every Saturday morning for breakfast. I used to starve myself those mornings..[/b]
SeanT, are you sure it was Breadfruit because breadfruit is NOT bitter
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by Hauwa1: 3:09pm On Dec 02, 2009
breadfruit i know is not bitter, taste good on a hot summer night.
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by SeanT21(f): 4:16pm On Dec 02, 2009
Epi:

SeanT, are you sure it was Breadfruit because breadfruit is NOT bitter

Breadfruit, Jackfruit?? I am so lost now. I know we called it breadfruit in Liberia. Here is a better pic. Its the exact one we had back home. Never heard of jackfruit in my life.

Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by SeanT21(f): 4:17pm On Dec 02, 2009
queenesthr:

The fruit in the picture is jack fruit and not bread fruit. Bread fruit looks similar but is much bigger. Bread fruit cannot be eaten raw.

I know. We used to boil it and cook with gravy.
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by SeanT21(f): 4:23pm On Dec 02, 2009
I did a little research. Breadfruit and Breadnut differs. Breadfruit can not be eaten raw and Breadnut can. Here is a pic of breadnut. Breadnut is soft and has seeds.

Below is a pic of breadnut

Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by firestar(f): 4:31pm On Dec 02, 2009
Breadfruit is sweet! I don't know the variant you're eating though Sean. But that picture is definitely breadfruit not breadnut-- tastes like a cross between sweet potato and yam. . . There's another one called soursop. It's prickier.
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by SeanT21(f): 8:22pm On Dec 02, 2009
firestar:

Breadfruit is sweet! I don't know the variant you're eating though Sean. But that picture is definitely breadfruit not breadnut-- tastes like a cross between sweet potato and yam. . . There's another one called soursop. It's prickier.

what picture?? the 1st one??
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by Nobody: 2:15am On Dec 03, 2009
I've had it before but cant remember the taste.
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by Epi: 5:29am On Dec 03, 2009
SeanT21:

Breadfruit, Jackfruit?? I am so lost now. I know we called it breadfruit in Liberia. Here is a better pic. Its the exact one we had back home. Never heard of jackfruit in my life.
SeanT, I was told that the breadfruit only taste bitter if you don't cut out the heart (the inedible part in the middle with seed)
firestar:

Guanabana (soursop) a part of the breadfruit family too?  Ok, y'all confusing me now.

Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by firestar(f): 6:18am On Dec 03, 2009
Sean, I meant the first pix. And some else advised, cut out the heart. I remember grabbing alot of 'em when I was younger- My gramps would bring a whole basket full of 'em! Love it! Anyone got any more recipes apart from the usual boiling or frying?
Soursop is nice too.
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by SeanT21(f): 9:13am On Dec 03, 2009
Epi:

SeanT, I was told that the breadfruit only taste bitter if you don't cut out the heart (the inedible part in the middle with seed) Guanabana (soursop) a part of the breadfruit family too? Ok, y'all confusing me now.

firestar:

Sean, I meant the first pix. And some else advised, cut out the heart. I remember grabbing alot of 'em when I was younger- My gramps would bring a whole basket full of 'em! Love it! Anyone got any more recipes apart from the usual boiling or frying?
Soursop is nice too.

Cutting the heart is a new thing to me. No wonder I hated it. .
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by MrCrackles(m): 9:15am On Dec 03, 2009
I absolutely love breadfruit. . .The few times i tried it, was really nice. . .
I dont get to see it around often though sad
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by gozzilla(m): 5:46pm On Dec 03, 2009
The most expensive food in the market when compared to other food item.
It is not just nutritious, it is believed to have ability to increase your intelligence. Ask my grandma,
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by dani1luv: 8:26pm On Dec 03, 2009
eeeeeeeeeew embarassed
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by Epi: 11:39pm On Dec 03, 2009
dani1luv:

eeeeeeeeeew embarassed
you are missing out big time sah. Get a ripe breadfruit one and roast it on an open fire wink
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by mohawkchic(f): 1:33am On Dec 04, 2009
firestar:

Soursop is nice too.

[size=13pt]~When i read "Soursop",i knew the name was familiar. . so a quick look on google confirmed it's what we call back home "Sweety Sharp" i tasted it once many moons ago as a child. . wasnt too keen. . . grin[/size]
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by Akanniade(m): 3:25pm On Dec 06, 2009
I so love breadfruit. Slice it very thin and fry in ororo. Make sure u eat it while its warm.
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by InkedNerd(f): 6:19am On Sep 04, 2010
Mmmm bread fruit.
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by dominique(f): 1:59pm On Sep 04, 2010
Akanniade:

I so love breadfruit. Slice it very thin and fry in ororo. Make sure u eat it while its warm.

exactly the way i like it too!!! cheesy
i've never tasted it boiled and i have a feeling i won't like it tongue
Re: Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? by kandiikane(m): 8:36pm On Jul 07, 2011
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, when I saw the pic I thought it was jackfruit until I saw the insides. .I don't know if I have tried breadfruit before the insides looks familiar but I definitely jackfruit used to love that as a child but stopped having it around 10yrs ago since my grandfather's sister died. But it is delicious and we use to boiled the seeds, oh my gosh, I can still remember the taste and aroma smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rising Cost Of Food Items In Nigeria (See Photos) / Would You Give Up This Combo? (pictures) / See The Huge Python My Neighbour Was Roasting Yesterday....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.