Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,099 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) (41933 Views)

Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know / Ridiculous Car Price On Jiji And Olx / #2.20kobo: First Driving Licence My Dad Acquired In 1975(Photos). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by Rilwayne001: 8:50pm On Jan 29, 2017
That was when N2 = 1 dollars. It isn't so today.
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by hucienda: 8:50pm On Jan 29, 2017
When the naira was money.

No be now wey even Washington go soon overtake Azikiwe.

1 Like

Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by billyG(m): 8:54pm On Jan 29, 2017
gbosaa:

N3000 was a lot of money back then if he was earning N70 per month. In one year, he would've earned N840 !! That wasn't even up to a thousand naira. He would've worked like mad for four years without spending a kobo to get up to N3000 which is impossible even with promotion and salary increase.
Cars were for rich people back then. I believe lots of people would be going to work in their bicycles, motor bikes or leggedes benz.

Things weren't cheap then. A friend told me his dad bought a Peugeot 505 in 1984 for around N25000.
Are telling us his dad is corrupt?
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by EvangelistEmmaO: 8:56pm On Jan 29, 2017
with god all things are possible
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by nurey(m): 8:56pm On Jan 29, 2017
gbosaa:

How many people had that privilege like your dad who was sponsored by the govt to travel and develop his career. How many people could afford VW beetles or even CD 175 motorcycles back then?

My uncle was paying N250 per month living in a three bedroom flat in Enugu in 1989.
How much was plane ticket from Ph to Lagos in 1994?
How much was a bag of cement back then?
St. Louis sugar was 25k in 1981. Ill search for the receipts in my archive as I like keeping such things and post them here.

With N7 you could buy a two kg worth of beef in 1982. I think things are much better today.
How many people could afford or have access to phones and I mean the old type with circular disc in front of it you'll stick your index finger to dial. You'd send a letter with lots of stamps and wait weeks to receive reply from parents to send you pocket money grin

I'm not sure even Seun's parents dreamt there would be a day like this when you'd type something and send it online within secs or mins... grin

Well you are saying two different things, am not as old as you think, I just know prices due to receipts I also found as my dad and mum (especially) keeps those things. Things were cheaper those days but we could say life wasn't as easy but things are expensive nowadays but we have things that made life easier.

How much was cat fish in the late nineties, sardine was 50naira, Maggi was cheap, Maggi 2 minutes noodles was 5naira and it came with its own plate and spoon, how much was milo and bournvita, we practically had this regularly on the table. How much was cabin biscuit. Derica of rice was 35naira, beans was 20naira.

My mum cooked confirm 1 week soup for 500naira, am talking of soup with 5 lives. We ate moimoi every Sunday morning with sardine virtually swimming inside. Grinding pepper then was 10 for petrol use and 5 naira for Nepa use.

We paid 1000 monthly as Nepa bill in Ikoyi, our lister gen was bought 30k very powerful old soldier. If I tell you the price of this things I listed now, my brother, you will know things were cheap then and available to the poor.

1 Like

Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by diva90: 8:59pm On Jan 29, 2017
LordHiffy:
Bro getting 500 then no be beans o. My dad earned 70naira as his first salary then working for state government, bought his first car for 3k or so. At that time they don't sell tokumbo cars.

True! 3k was worth N3m then

1 Like

Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by nijanigga: 8:59pm On Jan 29, 2017
gbosaa:

N3000 was a lot of money back then if he was earning N70 per month. In one year, he would've earned N840 !! That wasn't even up to a thousand naira. He would've worked like mad for four years without spending a kobo to get up to N3000 which is impossible even with promotion and salary increase.
Cars were for rich people back then. I believe lots of people would be going to work in their bicycles, motor bikes or leggedes benz.

Things weren't cheap then. A friend told me his dad bought a Peugeot 505 in 1984 for around N25000.
Peugeot station wagon chassis in 1979 was 7,000 naira cash
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by AlphaStyles(m): 9:00pm On Jan 29, 2017
that was then bfre Dem swear for us and d swear start to follow us
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by anonymuz(m): 9:01pm On Jan 29, 2017
nurey:

Well you are saying two different things, am not as old as you think, I just know prices due to receipts I also found as my dad and mum (especially) keeps those things. Things were cheaper those days but we could say life wasn't as easy but things are expensive nowadays but we have things that made life easier.

How much was cat fish in the late nineties, sardine was 50naira, Maggi was cheap, Maggi 2 minutes noodles was 5naira and it came with its own plate and spoon, how much was milo and bournvita, we practically had this regularly on the table. How much was cabin biscuit. Derica of rice was 35naira, beans was 20naira.

My mum cooked confirm 1 week soup for 500naira, am talking of soup with 5 lives. We ate moimoi every Sunday morning with sardine virtually swimming inside. Grinding pepper then was 10 for petrol use and 5 naira for Nepa use.

We paid 1000 monthly as Nepa bill in Ikoyi, our lister gen was bought 30k very powerful old soldier. If I tell you the price of this things I listed now, my brother, you will know things were cheap then and available to the poor.
Nigeria is gone bro... how many dinning table can you find beverages today?

1 Like

Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by Kondomatic(m): 9:03pm On Jan 29, 2017
N500 then can buy a village now.
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by Rainmaker69(m): 9:03pm On Jan 29, 2017
These were new cars... God dey oh.
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by EvangelistEmmaO: 9:04pm On Jan 29, 2017
hahaha my bros they said Satan is causing all, but we are not even truthful to our self
kenzysmith:
Tunder fire civizalatiƶn and democrazy
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jan 29, 2017
kenzysmith:
Tunder fire civizalatiƶn and democrazy
This is nonsense undecided
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by nurey(m): 9:08pm On Jan 29, 2017
anonymuz:
Nigeria is gone bro... how many dinning table can you find beverages today?

My brother no be small thing, in 2015 to early 2016 I went to price elegant gen all those 5.5hp size, with tire, kick start and two plug mouth, it was 35-40k, fast forward December 2016 nah so I majestically enter market price same gen manual, no tire one socket mouth nah him I hear 90, I use cotton bud clean ear, the guy talk say 90k, and I pass my neighbor is now 35k from 10-15k, I just laugh and carry my 2 bow legs Waka go house
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 29, 2017
Na the era of original cars be dat no be now wey dem dey produce cartons on wheels
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by kayo80(m): 9:11pm On Jan 29, 2017
LordHiffy:
Bro getting 500 then no be beans o. My dad earned 70naira as his first salary then working for state government, bought his first car for 3k or so. At that time they don't sell tokumbo cars.

How did your dad get 3k to buy a car when he was earning 70 naira a month?

1 Like

Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by augustine: 9:14pm On Jan 29, 2017
CXLVII:
Remembered 1965 when I bought my first VW Beetle for 1500 Naira.
Nigeria started using Naira & Kobo in the early seventies.

2 Likes

Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by jjeeff(m): 9:14pm On Jan 29, 2017
U dey craz
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by jjeeff(m): 9:14pm On Jan 29, 2017
kenzysmith:
Buh my prick still dey scratch me sha
u dey craz
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jan 29, 2017
nurey:

You are conflating the quality of money with its quantity... The number of the denomination with its value.
It's an honest mistake but a wrong one.

How many people could afford #500 in those days too Remember people were spending kobo then.

How many people had the luxury to secure government jobs as your parents were fortunate to

In those days, a naira was gold BECAUSE of the value it possessed. It's a no-brainer that even 20 naira is finding it hard to be put in use in this country nowadays

1 Like

Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by Kiakia(m): 9:17pm On Jan 29, 2017
gbosaa:

Wrong. Your friend did not tell you the truth. In1984, a brand new Peugeot 505 sold for N7000 and not N25000. I know this for a fact.
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by metallisc(m): 9:18pm On Jan 29, 2017
nurey:

My brother no be small thing, in 2015 to early 2016 I went to price elegant gen all those 5.5hp size, with tire, kick start and two plug mouth, it was 35-40k, fast forward December 2016 nah so I majestically enter market price same gen manual, no tire one socket mouth nah him I hear 90, I use cotton bud clean ear, the guy talk say 90k, and I pass my neighbor is now 35k from 10-15k, I just laugh and carry my 2 bow legs Waka go house

so you get bow leg?

Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by balanceofterror1(m): 9:24pm On Jan 29, 2017
nurey:

Hmmm
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by Kiakia(m): 9:24pm On Jan 29, 2017
Omoakinsuyi:
How much is a dollar to a naira then?
Naira was about 70k to a dollar then. Nigeria's economy was strong at the time. Oil money was in abundance.
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by Bizibi(m): 9:27pm On Jan 29, 2017
nurey:

80's and 90's was really good,I still remember all the cars my father bought then,from p 505 to p 504 to land rover to Benz 230(rock this car) to Benz
25naira was enough fr feeding in sch,yesterday I went to buy a bottle of coke fr 120 naira and even during the days of abacha it was just 15 naira fr a bottle.
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by nurey(m): 9:29pm On Jan 29, 2017
metallisc:

so you get bow leg?
Na metaphor. Lol
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by Bizibi(m): 9:29pm On Jan 29, 2017
nurey:

80's and 90's was really good,I still remember all the cars my father bought then,from p 505 to p 504 to land rover to Benz 230(rock this car) to Benz
25naira was enough fr feeding in sch,yesterday I went to buy a bottle of coke fr 120 naira and even during the days of abacha it was just 15 naira fr a bottle.

That lister gen is strong,it is still in the compound.......
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 29, 2017
This thread reminds me when my dad bought my mum Santana car in either 1990 or 91 and my mum was dancing, making my headache then worse.

As little as I was and sick too, I angrily told said, "mum why are you dancing like this for this small car when your friend is driving a V Boot." grin

My dad looked at me as an agent of destruction. grin

1 Like

Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by basmur(m): 9:36pm On Jan 29, 2017
back then the value of naira is commendable..... much value is attached to naira as kobo too means alot
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by nurey(m): 9:38pm On Jan 29, 2017
SirWere:

You are conflating the quality of money with its quantity... The number of the denomination with its value.
It's an honest mistake but a wrong one.

How many people could afford #500 in those days too Remember people were spending kobo then.

How many people had the luxury to secure government jobs as your parents were fortunate to

In those days, a naira was gold BECAUSE of the value it possessed. It's a no-brainer that even 20 naira is finding it hard to be put in use in this country nowadays

My father retired in 1990 or 1991 my mum retired in fact may be 1970s or so, she didn't read pass class 5 and still made government job she went to market and started selling and her friends in government job even envy her till date.

life then was easy because corruption wasn't wide spread and the naira was strong because we had more farmers and industries then. In fact importation Was done by manufacturers themselves eg Sony, Panasonic, national the only imported appliances then was Kenwood.

Cars were cheap in the nineties and Toyota wasn't da bomb then any way, we had 505 evolution as King, Benz V boot, Mazda, Datsun naira had respect not now.
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by basmur(m): 9:38pm On Jan 29, 2017
Rilwayne001:
That was when N2 = 1 dollars. It isn't so today.
it not even dollar....its pounds

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Direct Connection Of Radiator Fan Is Harmful!!!! / My Experience With Check VSC System Warning Indication On My 2007 Camryxle V6 / Made-In-Nigeria Hybrid Electric Car Unveiled In Abuja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.