Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

Classiest vs. Bushiest Dialect in Your Language - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Classiest vs. Bushiest Dialect in Your Language (1316 Views)

What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? / How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? / Say Good Morning In Your Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Classiest vs. Bushiest Dialect in Your Language by Probz(m): 9:45pm On Jan 31, 2017
As the title says, what's the most urban-sounding/upmarket vs. the most unrefined, rural-sounding dialect in your native tongue?

For me, Igbo - Onitsha (classiest), Nsukka/Ebonyi (bushiest). I no sabi which one is bushier between the Izzi-Ezza cluster of Ebonyi and the Waawa of rural Enugu. They both sound horrible and both are equally unintelligible to mainstream Igboland.

1 Like

Re: Classiest vs. Bushiest Dialect in Your Language by RedboneSmith(m): 12:56am On Feb 01, 2017
Wawu.

1 Like

Re: Classiest vs. Bushiest Dialect in Your Language by bigfrancis21: 10:08am On Feb 01, 2017
Yoruba: Oyo/Ibadan - classiest
Ijebu - bushiest

I stand to be corrected.

1 Like

Re: Classiest vs. Bushiest Dialect in Your Language by bigfrancis21: 10:09am On Feb 01, 2017
RedboneSmith:
Wawu.

Na your style to grab first to comment abi? cheesy
Re: Classiest vs. Bushiest Dialect in Your Language by iSlayer: 11:05am On Feb 01, 2017
Probz:
As the title says, what's the most urban-sounding/upmarket vs. the most unrefined, rural-sounding dialect in your native tongue?

For me, Igbo - Onitsha (classiest), Nsukka/Ebonyi (bushiest). I no sabi which one is bushier between the Izzi-Ezza cluster of Ebonyi and the Waawa of rural Enugu. They both sound horrible and both are equally unintelligible to mainstream Igboland.

For me,I think Nsukka always gets the hard end in issues like this. Their dialect is miles ahead of what you get in Ebonyi(Abakiliki). Then again some dialects in Southern Igboland make me go like...

Re: Classiest vs. Bushiest Dialect in Your Language by bigfrancis21: 6:49am On Feb 02, 2017
iSlayer:

For me,I think Nsukka always gets the hard end in issues like this. Their dialect is miles ahead of what you get in Ebonyi(Abakiliki). Then again some dialects in Southern Igboland make me go like...

I spent 5 years in Nsukka, funny enough I didn't find the dialect too hard to understand. As a fresh person to the Nsukka area in 2007, my comprehension ability was at about 75% to 80%. Also, the Nsukka dialect spoken in the township tends to be less 'concentrated' or a lil centralized compared to the dialects of the interior, this I guess is due to the presence and convergence of other Igbo speakers in the town.

Someone once said here before, as a nwafor born and bred in the east, you'd be able to understand, at least, other Igbo dialects to a satisfactory extent. He may be right.
Re: Classiest vs. Bushiest Dialect in Your Language by iSlayer: 7:31am On Feb 02, 2017
bigfrancis21:

I spent 5 years in Nsukka, funny enough I didn't find the dialect too hard to understand. As a fresh person to the Nsukka area in 2007, my comprehension ability was at about 75% to 80%. Also, the Nsukka dialect spoken in the township tends to be less 'concentrated' or a lil centralized compared to the dialects of the interior, this I guess is due to the presence and convergence of other Igbo speakers in the town.

Someone once said here before, as a nwafor born and bred in the east, you'd be able to understand, at least, other Igbo dialects to a satisfactory extent. He may be right.

I'll have to concur with that. On many occasions,dialects I found difficult with my comprehension as low as 30% was still somewhat clear to my uncles and aunts. It was and is still a mystery how they understand what is being said.

1 Like

Re: Classiest vs. Bushiest Dialect in Your Language by Probz(m): 3:05am On Apr 18, 2017
iSlayer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z61yLauy7U

Abakaleke and Nsukka sound nearly alike. I can barely tell which is which.

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Installation Ceremony Of Chief Gani Adams As Aare Ona Kakanfo / Pls Help Me Supply The Names Of These Things In Lgbo / 20 Things You Do Not Know About Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.