Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,958 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business (10453 Views)

3 Common Mistakes People Make When Starting A Business / 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business / 8 Mistakes I Made Starting An Online Business In Nigeria That You Should Avoid! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by importexpert(m): 4:35pm On Feb 02, 2017
Like I have said in my previous posts, in the light of the economic situation of the country, it is important to begin an online business now. If you have decided to join other Nigerians in enjoying the fruits of online business, there are certain mistakes that you should avoid.

1. Learning voraciously:

This is a very important mistake that most people make. It is what you know that will give you continued relevance in the online world. You need to therefore read wide on the niche that you have picked and stay up to date about current trends in the industry. The more you learn about your niche, the more you will be able to solve the problems of your audience and meet their needs which will give them a reason to come back for more. Don’t just rely on copy and paste, research and present your information to your audience.

2. Build something better:

A lot of times, the inspiration to do something comes from another person who is already doing it. The irony is that, doing what someone is already doing will not give you success irrespective of the efforts you put into it. The ideal thing to do is to research on those who are doing what you are about to do. Search for the secrets of their success and the areas they are failing. Then build on it and produce something better.

3. Don’t switch niches:

Pick one niche and stick to it. When you try to create your business as a brand, people need to be able to associate it with one thing. YouTube is known for videos. Instagram is known for pictures. On our own local scene, Linda is known for gossip blog, ImportExpert is known for Affiliate marketing/mini importation etc. Pick a niche that you have interest in and then become extremely good at it.

4. Invest in a coach/Mentor:

Online business is more than what you see on threads. For instance, there is more to blogging than knowing how to write a post. Every online business has intricate aspects that you may need to learn. Do not be in a haste to rush into it. Seek a coach or mentor or get their materials. It will give you precise information that you need and save you time you may have wasted trying to figure out what went wrong.

5. Start and email list from day One:

It is important that you build an email list from the start of your business. An email list helps you maintain contact with your audience and keeps you visible in their minds. To make them want to give you their email addresses, you need to have constant good content and promise to keep them informed of new content as well as exclusive offers.

6. Dismissing negative feedback:

When you are starting out, you are obviously in high spirits and enthusiastic about the prospects before you. There is therefore the temptation to listen to your fans and ignore your critics because their feedback is crushing. It will however be wise if you learn from their criticisms and use it to build something better. Rather than take criticisms personal, use them as tools for improvement. As bill gate has popularly said, "your best customers are those that are not satisfied with your products because they show you where you can improve".

7. Waiting too long to start:

This is one of the reasons why many people delay their launch of an online business. They keep waiting for the perfect moment. The fact is, every moment is perfect if you will only look at it from the right perspective. No time will ever be perfect enough for all the lights to be green. Decide to start something and go ahead with that decision irrespective of the seeming odds.

Conclusively

As a wise man has popularly said, those who wait will get only what those who act have left behind. a popular babylonian proverb says, "The goddess of good luck goes to the men who refuse to sit and wait for it but hustle while they wait".

if you are serious about profiting from online businesses, i will show few lucky people the simple secret i used to make N121, 500 in a single day from affiliate marketing. see the secret at www.affiliatejagaban.com/p/jagaban.html

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by Umarlulu: 5:13pm On Feb 02, 2017
importexpert:
Like I have said in my previous posts, in the light of the economic situation of the country, it is important to begin an online business now. If you have decided to join other Nigerians in enjoying the fruits of online business, there are certain mistakes that you should avoid.

1. Learning voraciously:

This is a very important mistake that most people make. It is what you know that will give you continued relevance in the online world. You need to therefore read wide on the niche that you have picked and stay up to date about current trends in the industry. The more you learn about your niche, the more you will be able to solve the problems of your audience and meet their needs which will give them a reason to come back for more. Don’t just rely on copy and paste, research and present your information to your audience.

A lot of times, the inspiration to do something comes from another person who is already doing it. The irony is that, doing what someone is already doing will not give you success irrespective of the efforts you put into it. The ideal thing to do is to research on those who are doing what you are about to do. Search for the secrets of their success and the areas they are failing. Then build on it and produce something better.

3. Don’t switch niches:

Pick one niche and stick to it. When you try to create your business as a brand, people need to be able to associate it with one thing. YouTube is known for videos. Instagram is known for pictures. On our own local scene, Linda is known for gossip blog, ImportExpert is known for Affiliate marketing/mini importation etc. Pick a niche that you have interest in and then become extremely good at it.

Online business is more than what you see on threads. For instance, there is more to blogging than knowing how to write a post. Every online business has intricate aspects that you may need to learn. Do not be in a haste to rush into it. Seek a coach or mentor or get their materials. It will give you precise information that you need and save you time you may have wasted trying to figure out what went wrong.

It is important that you build an email list from the start of your business. An email list helps you maintain contact with your audience and keeps you visible in their minds. To make them want to give you their email addresses, you need to have constant good content and promise to keep them informed of new content as well as exclusive offers.

When you are starting out, you are obviously in high spirits and enthusiastic about the prospects before you. There is therefore the temptation to listen to your fans and ignore your critics because their feedback is crushing. It will however be wise if you learn from their criticisms and use it to build something better. Rather than take criticisms personal, use them as tools for improvement. As bill gate has popularly said, "your best customers are those that are not satisfied with your products because they show you where you can improve".

This is one of the reasons why many people delay their launch of an online business. They keep waiting for the perfect moment. The fact is, every moment is perfect if you will only look at it from the right perspective. No time will ever be perfect enough for all the lights to be green. Decide to start something and go ahead with that decision irrespective of the seeming odds.

Conclusively

As a wise man has popularly said, those who wait will get only what those who act have left behind. a popular babylonian proverb says, "The goddess of good luck goes to the men who refuse to sit and wait for it but hustle while they wait".

if you are serious about profiting from online businesses, i will show few lucky people the simple secret i used to make N121, 500 in a single day from affiliate marketing. see the secret at www.affiliatejagaban.com/p/jagaban.html
you are into import and export alone?miye sirrin abun?
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by importexpert(m): 5:22pm On Feb 02, 2017
Umarlulu:
you are into import and export alone?miye sirrin abun?

bro sirrin da zirfi. yanzu am more of into affiliate marketing. affiliate marketing is the goldmine of the internet.
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by Umarlulu: 5:24pm On Feb 02, 2017
importexpert:

bro sirrin da zirfi. yanzu am more of into affiliate marketing. affiliate marketing is the goldmine of the internet.
can I be involved what's it all about
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by Umarlulu: 5:55pm On Feb 02, 2017
importexpert:

teach a brother the affiliate marketing mana
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by importexpert(m): 7:00pm On Feb 02, 2017
Umarlulu:
teach a brother the affiliate marketing mana

i have written extensively about affiliate marketing. you can see the details at www.affiliatejagaban.com/p/jagaban.html just give me a call once you go through the page.
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by opalu: 7:36pm On Feb 02, 2017
Good

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by Realdeals(m): 7:37pm On Feb 02, 2017
I see!
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by importexpert(m): 7:37pm On Feb 02, 2017
feel free to ask your affiliate marketing related questions.
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by importexpert(m): 7:38pm On Feb 02, 2017
opalu:
Good

thanks.
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by importexpert(m): 7:40pm On Feb 02, 2017
Realdeals:
I see!

what cheesy?
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by JimloveTM(m): 7:40pm On Feb 02, 2017
nice info. thanks
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by hayPizzle(m): 7:40pm On Feb 02, 2017
importexpert:

i have written extensively about affiliate marketing. you can see the details at www.affiliatejagaban.com/p/jagaban.html just give me a call once you go through the page.
I need ur importation biz manual.how can I get it
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by echobazz: 7:40pm On Feb 02, 2017
Nice one op
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by wizkidblogger(f): 7:43pm On Feb 02, 2017
yea. nice share.

some people think they can start online biz without investing in knowledge. smh*
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by importexpert(m): 7:43pm On Feb 02, 2017
JimloveTM:
nice info. thanks

thanks.
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by importexpert(m): 7:44pm On Feb 02, 2017
hayPizzle:
I need ur importation biz manual.how can I get it

it is not currently on stock. it will be available by end of this month.
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by importexpert(m): 7:46pm On Feb 02, 2017
echobazz:
Nice one op

thanks bro.
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by importexpert(m): 7:50pm On Feb 02, 2017
wizkidblogger:
yea. nice share.

some people think they can start online biz without investing in knowledge. smh*

it will take a lot of Nigerians forever to realize that they cant get what they want in the places they are searching currently.
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by importexpert(m): 8:25pm On Feb 02, 2017
feel free to ask your affiliate marketing related questions
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by Nobody: 8:28pm On Feb 02, 2017
importexpert:

what happened to ur importation biz ebook? no more customers? see as u disavowed the first business u started on nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by importexpert(m): 8:45pm On Feb 02, 2017
everyone is entitled to his/her views wink
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by wman(m): 8:49pm On Feb 02, 2017
How much did this guy pay Seun?

The same thing entering front page over and over.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by GreatManBee: 9:13pm On Feb 02, 2017
importexpert:

1. Learning voraciously:

3. Don’t switch niches:

Conclusively

Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by horlarlorwor(m): 9:20pm On Feb 02, 2017
I just fell into one of the online marketers trap. I look forward to him to return my #25000 if not... I don't believe most of u...
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by Fribery: 9:51pm On Feb 02, 2017
oga mi. i need that your ebook
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by tectonotimes: 10:16pm On Feb 02, 2017
Folks, do not take this write-up as one of the numerous ones you have been reading. The time to start online business is now.
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by importexpert(m): 10:29pm On Feb 02, 2017
Fribery:
oga mi. i need that your ebook

kindly refer to www.affiliatejagaban.com/p/jagaban.html
Re: 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business by Umarlulu: 12:52am On Feb 03, 2017
importexpert:

nayi maka magana a whatsapp baka answer ni ba.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Does Moneybookers Accept Nigeria? / Can I Use A Payoneer Master Card On A Nigerian ATM Machine? / Naira Climbs To N360.55/$ As CBN Injects $210 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.