Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,176 members, 7,825,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:32 PM

Recipe:how To Cook Nigerian Ewa Agoyin. - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Recipe:how To Cook Nigerian Ewa Agoyin. (1807 Views)

How To Prepare Homemade Ewa Agonyin (Pictures) / Ewa Agoyin Stew: How To Prepare Nigerian Ewa Agoyin Stew / Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recipe:how To Cook Nigerian Ewa Agoyin. by bodeluke(m): 9:56pm On Feb 03, 2017
Ewa Agoyin simply means plain boiled beans eaten with a pepper sauce.

How to make Ewa Agoyin [Video]

This is the perfect way for those who do not like beans to enjoy it. I can tell you that yours truly does not like beans yet, I can never get enough of Ewa Agoyin. I don't know what it is about it that makes it taste so good. Maybe it is the caramelized onions. All I know is that I enjoy eating it.

Ingredients

2 cigar cups (approx. 500g) brown/black eyed beans
5 cooking spoons red palm oil
5 big plum tomatoes
1 handful crayfish
1 big onion
Pepper & Salt (to taste)
2 stock cubes
Before you cook Ewa Agoyin

Soak the beans in cold water for 5 hours. Boil the beans for 5 minutes and discard the water. Rinse the beans in cold water and set aside. This soaking and pre-cooking process will help reduce the gas inducing elements. For more on that visit: How to Reduce Beans Bloating.

Chop the onions, grind the crayfish and pound the pepper.

Blend the tomatoes and boil the tomato puree till all the water has dried from it.

Pre-cook the diced onions without any added water. The aim is to get it to caramelize a bit so that it will take less time to fully caramelize during frying.

Cooking Directions

Cook the beans till done. For Ewa Agoyin, the beans needs to be very soft.

Note: If you have a pressure cooker, beans is one of the staple foods you will want to use it for. It considerably reduces the cooking time.

When the beans is done, add salt, leave to dry up all the water and set aside.

To cook the Agoyin, pour the palm oil into a separate dry pot. Allow to heat up till the oil starts smoking and the red colour changes to clear. It is better to do this at medium heat so that the oil does not get too hot too quickly. Remember to turn off your smoke alarm before doing this. smiley
To keep the smoke to a minimum and still have the traditional taste of Ewa Agoyin, I use vegetable oil and when it is very hot, I add a small amount of palm oil. Watch the video below to see how I do that.

Now add the precooked onions and stir continuously till the onions is fully caramelized. It should be very dark in colour.

Add the parboiled tomato puree and stir continuously till you cannot tell the difference between the tomatoes and onions.

Add the pepper, crayfish, stock cubes and salt to taste. You can also add a little water at this point if your want.

Stir very well and bring to the boil. The Ewa Agoyin is ready!

Serve by dishing the beans into a plate and scoop some Agoyin stew on it. Ewa Agoyin can be eaten on its own, with soft and stretchy bread (known as Ewa ati Bread) or with Fried Plantains.

Source:https://vardgist..com.ng/2017/02/recipehow-to-cook-nigerian-ewa-agoyin.html?m=1

Lalasticlala, seun, Dominique, ijebabe

Re: Recipe:how To Cook Nigerian Ewa Agoyin. by Nobody: 5:13am On Feb 07, 2017
I love the idea of prevailing the onions. Nice write up op. But in place of tomatoes, dry pepper is the best for agoyin. You soak it for a little while in water to soften it, then grind/blend to taste. Pour blended/grinded pepper in a bowl, add a little of the almost done beans like two spoons, three spoons into the pepper and stir. Then you can go ahead and fry with your onions and red oil. Try this method, you will love it
Re: Recipe:how To Cook Nigerian Ewa Agoyin. by AllNaijaRecipes(f): 12:48pm On Feb 08, 2017
So you plagiarized a recipe from my website: http://www.allnigerianrecipes.com/beans/ewa-agoyin.html with my photo intact with watermark, posted it on your blog, came to Nairaland and posted it with source to your website? You go all these while blogging on Blogger where you know that once Google receives a report that you are doing such, Google will shut down the blog immediately?
I see other posts you also copied from my website. Please take down all my posts on your blog today.
Re: Recipe:how To Cook Nigerian Ewa Agoyin. by otipoju(m): 5:01am On Feb 09, 2017
Ha ha.... intellectual theft.a nd the boy carry Bible for hand

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Online Cook Off Show : Showcasing African Cuisine! / Food You Can Never Eat No Matter How Hungry You Get. / To Be Honest How Much Is This Fish In Your Area??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.