Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,040 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State (1332 Views)

Trump Vows To Destroy Turkish Economy If ISIS Returns / Trump Vows To Terminate US Green Card Lottery Programme / Panic As Busy Highway Divides In Cameroon, Vehicles Almost Swallowed. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:34am On Feb 04, 2017
President Trump vows to 'totally destroy' 60 - year - old 'Johnson Amendment' that divides church & State

Trump pledges to end political limits on churches
CATHERINE LUCEY
Associated PressFebruary 3, 2017

WASHINGTON (AP) — Declaring that religious freedom is "under threat," President Donald Trump vowed Thursday to repeal a rarely enforced IRS rule that says pastors who endorse candidates from the pulpit risk losing their tax-exempt status.

"I will get rid of and totally destroy the Johnson Amendment and allow our representatives of faith to speak freely and without fear of retribution," Trump said at the National Prayer Breakfast, a high-profile event bringing together faith leaders, politicians and dignitaries.

Trump's pledge was a nod to his evangelical Christian supporters, who helped power his White House win. So far he has not detailed his plans for doing away with the rule, which he has previously promised to rescind. Named after then-Sen. Lyndon Johnson, the regulation has been in place since 1954 for tax-exempt charities, including churches, though it is very rare for a church to actually be penalized.

Abolishing the amendment would require action by Congress, though Trump could direct the IRS to disregard the rule. The tax code does allow a wide range of political activity by houses of worship, including speaking out on social issues and organizing congregants to vote. But churches cannot endorse a candidate or engage in partisan advocacy.

Lloyd Mayer, a law professor at the University of Notre Dame, said an IRS move could prompt lawsuits, if the rule was repealed for churches but not other charities.

Mayer also noted that a full repeal of the rule could open up churches to the possibility of spending their resources to openly try to influence elections — and for donors to get tax breaks for political contributions.

While some conservative Christians would like to see the rule abolished, others, especially the younger generation, support a clear separation of church and political endorsements. Many liberal churches are also active on policy issues, and could potentially get more involved in partisan politics.

Mayer noted that for some religious leaders, the IRS rule has given them a way to avoid political pressure for an endorsement.

"Now a church that wants to say no has an easy answer, it's illegal," Mayer said.

Repeal does not appear to have widespread public support. Eight in 10 Americans said it was inappropriate for pastors to endorse a candidate in church in a poll released last September by Lifeway Research, a religious survey firm based in Nashville.

For many religious conservatives, a more pressing issue they hope he will address is protection for faith-based charities, schools and ministries who object to same-sex marriage and abortion.

The president made no mention at the prayer breakfast of other steps he may take, saying only that religious freedom is a "sacred right."

Kelly Shackelford, head of First Liberty Institute, a non-profit legal group that specializes in religious freedom cases said that "there's a number of things he laid out that we expect we'll eventually see action on."

Trump also defended his recent executive order on immigration, decrying "generous" immigration policies and arguing that there are people who seek to enter the country "for the purpose of spreading violence or oppressing other people based upon their faith." He also pledged to take more immigration action in the name of religious liberty.

"In the coming days we will develop a system to help ensure that those admitted into our country fully embrace our values of religious and personal liberty and that they reject any form of oppression and discrimination," Trump said.

LGBTQ groups have been anxious that the president could use his executive powers to curb legal advances they have made. Emily Hecht-McGowan, chief policy officer for the Family Equality Council, said that she was "anticipating more to come," noting that some draft documents have been circulating, suggesting plans for a more sweeping order.

White House spokesman Sean Spicer said Thursday that "there's nothing new on that front."

Earlier this week, the Trump administration announced that the president would leave intact a 2014 executive order that protects workers for federal contractors from anti-LGBTQ discrimination, saying in a statement that Trump "continues to be respectful and supportive of LGBTQ rights, just as he was throughout the election."

Religious conservatives, who saw a series of defeats on same-sex marriage, abortion and other issues under former President Barack Obama, have been bolstered by Trump's win. In a letter last year to Roman Catholics, Trump pledged, "I will defend your religious liberties and the right to fully and freely practice your religion, as individuals, business owners and academic institutions."

Trump's Supreme Court pick this week was also considered a positive sign for conservatives.

A favorite of conservatives, Neil Gorsuch serves on the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, where he sided with Hobby Lobby and the Little Sisters of the Poor when they mounted religious objections to the Obama administration's requirement that employers provide health insurance that includes contraceptives.

During his remarks, Trump also took a dig at Arnold Schwarzenegger, the new host of "The Apprentice," the reality TV show Trump previously headlined. Trump said that since Schwarzenegger took over, the show's ratings have been down, and he asked the audience to "pray for Arnold." Schwarzenegger tweeted in response that he and Trump should switch jobs and Americans would sleep better.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/religious-looking-trump-protections-081209487--politics.html
Re: Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by falopey: 2:45am On Feb 04, 2017
But wait a minute. I think they said US is not a christian country. Well...maybe in the figment of their imagination.
Re: Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by passyhansome(m): 6:04am On Feb 04, 2017
Trump my Nigga

2 Likes

Re: Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by SIRmanjar(m): 11:18am On Feb 04, 2017
Evrybody blow ur trumpet...PARARAMPARA tongue
Re: Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:14pm On Feb 06, 2017
falopey:

But wait a minute. I think they said US is not a christian country. Well...maybe in the figment of their imagination.

It was Obama who in his effort to make the U.S. a Muslim nation among others, said that they were no longer a Christian nation as you can see in the videoclip below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOOrSAbU9z8
Re: Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by Lucasbalo(m): 10:46am On Feb 09, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

It was Obama who in his effort to make the U.S. a Muslim nation among others, said that they were no longer a Christian nation as you can see in the videoclip below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOOrSAbU9z8
Charlatan, US was never a Christian nation. Show me where in the US Constitution where any religion was mentioned as a State religion?. In fact, the founding fathers left England for the New World because of religious persecution. O boy, your ignorance is out of cyberspace.

2 Likes

Re: Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:31am On Feb 10, 2017
passyhansome:

Trump my Nigga

Really? cheesy
Re: Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:37am On Feb 10, 2017
Lucasbalo:

Charlatan, US was never a Christian nation. Show me where in the US Constitution where any religion was mentioned as a State religion?. In fact, the founding fathers left England for the New World because of religious persecution. O boy, your ignorance is out of cyberspace.

Yeah, the founding fathers where all Muslims who fled England because of persecution. shocked

2 Likes

Re: Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by Lucasbalo(m): 12:43am On Feb 10, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Yeah, the founding fathers where all Muslims who fled England because of persecution. shocked
Mr charlatan, why don't you show me in the US Constitution which you absolutely know nothing about where America is mentioned as a Christian Nation ?.
Re: Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:51am On Feb 10, 2017
Lucasbalo:

Mr charlatan, why don't you show me in the US Constitution which you absolutely know nothing about where America is mentioned as a Christian Nation ?.

You should take it up with your idol, Obama who said in that videoclip that "America is no longer a Christian nation." If it is no longer a Christian nation what was it before? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by Lucasbalo(m): 12:59am On Feb 10, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

You should take it up with your idol, Obama who said in that videoclip that "America is no longer a Christian nation." If it is no longer a Christian nation what was it before? undecided
Jobless charlatan, go and sleep to get ready for work morrow. You are suffering from Obama derangement syndrome.

1 Like

Re: Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by bonechamberlain(m): 7:27am On Feb 10, 2017
Lucasbalo:
Jobless charlatan, go and sleep to get ready for work morrow. You are suffering from Obama derangement syndrome.
. U should learn how to criticize without being emotional or using abusive words. Three times u quoted the guy olaadegbu he displayed maturity and civility by refraining from replying you with insults, but u still didn't figure it out. I thought you have gone past this

2 Likes

Re: Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by Lucasbalo(m): 7:44am On Feb 10, 2017
bonechamberlain:
. U should learn how to criticize without being emotional or using abusive words. Three times u quoted the guy olaadegbu he displayed maturity and civility by refraining from replying you with insults, but u still didn't figure it out. I thought you have gone past this
When a guy who profess to be a Christian is full of hate against a very successful black man he deserves whatever comes towards him. You and your ilks that hates Obama with every cell in your body but worship gutless racists that skin people like you alive. Tell me where in the bible hate is a virtue. Do Jesus Christ preaches hate ?. You guys foam in the mouth about a country you know nothing about. You and your friends that denigrate Obama all the time will flare up when people calls you out. Google all you want and tell me where you can find Obama being a Muslim. Lying is not Christ like and that's why I call him a charlatan. His hatred of Obama is pathological.
Re: Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by bonechamberlain(m): 7:52am On Feb 10, 2017
Lucasbalo:
When a guy who profess to be a Christian is full of hate against a very successful black man he deserves whatever comes towards him. You and your ilks that hates Obama with every cell in your body but worship gutless racists that skin people like you alive. Tell me where in the bible hate is a virtue. Do Jesus Christ preaches hate ?. You guys foam in the mouth about a country you know nothing about. You and your friends that denigrate Obama all the time will flare up when people calls you out. Google all you want and tell me where you can find Obama being a Muslim. Lying is not Christ like and that's why I call him a charlatan. His hatred of Obama is pathological.

I didn't see anywhere in his post where he preached hate, and what is you and ur ilks, you guys foam in the mouth. U still have a long way in achieving civility. Criticize what ever one says with decorum not attaching unnecessary emotions, speaking irresponsibly.

2 Likes

Re: Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by Lucasbalo(m): 8:09am On Feb 10, 2017
bonechamberlain:

I didn't see anywhere in his post where he preached hate, and what is you and ur ilks, you guys foam in the mouth. U still have a long way in achieving civility. Criticize what ever one says with decorum not attaching unnecessary emotions, speaking irresponsibly.
You can't see his hatred of Obama because both of you come from the same school of thought. Constantly lying about Obama being a Muslim while supporting Trump who is a three time married father of five who cheated on his first two wives. What's so admirable about a con man scamming people with his fake and unaccredited Tramp University which he had to pay Tens of millions of $ to settle the case. Will Jesus make fun of handicap like your mini God Trump?. Go and sit down buddy.
Re: Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by bonechamberlain(m): 8:37am On Feb 10, 2017
Lucasbalo:
You can't see his hatred of Obama because both of you come from the same school of thought. Constantly lying about Obama being a Muslim while supporting Trump who is a three time married father of five who cheated on his first two wives. What's so admirable about a con man scamming people with his fake and unaccredited Tramp University which he had to pay Tens of millions of $ to settle the case. Will Jesus make fun of handicap like your mini God Trump?. Go and sit down buddy.
they way u quote Jesus as if u have any regard for him, Jesus would be ashamed of u, u are the one spewing hate. U just sit down and formulate one fiction where was it stated by anyone that Obama ur god is a Muslim. I don't quote people unless I am quoted the only reason I quoted u was to educate u on how to address an issue without being emotional and insultive just like the guy u quoted did, since u claim to reside in a place that is highly civilized and ur love for Jesus who would be ashamed of you after reading your post. Like I have said learn to state your opinions without resulting to insults only weak minds and uncivilized folks does that. Trump is now the president I have no business with him or Obama ur Messiah. What he does is non of my business if it's not good for America it should be taken to court just like the E.O order has been taken to court which he lost.
Re: Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by Lucasbalo(m): 8:42am On Feb 10, 2017
bonechamberlain:
they way u quote Jesus as if u have any regard for him, Jesus would be ashamed of u, u are the one spewing hate. U just sit down and formulate one fiction where was it stated by anyone that Obama ur god is a Muslim. I don't quote people unless I am quoted the only reason I quoted u was to educate u on how to address an issue without being emotional and insultive just like the guy u quoted did, since u claim to reside in a place that is highly civilized and ur love for Jesus who would be ashamed of you after reading your post. Like I have said learn to state your opinions without resulting to insults only weak minds and uncivilized folks does that. Trump is now the president I have no business with him or Obama ur Messiah. What he does is non of my business if it's not good for America it should be taken to court just like the E.O order has been taken to court which he lost.
All that tripe you and your ilk write about Obama makes no sense. All of a sudden now you don't care about America. Tell me when Jesus appointed you and your hate filled friends his Spokesman on Earth.
Re: Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by bonechamberlain(m): 9:06am On Feb 10, 2017
Lucasbalo:
All that tripe you and your ilk write about Obama makes no sense. All of a sudden now you don't care about America. Tell me when Jesus appointed you and your hate filled friends his Spokesman on Earth.
Obama is gone deal with that, focus on Trump. I should be asking u that question since u are the one who has been mentioning his name. Your love for Jesus is unimaginable.

1 Like

Re: Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:02am On Mar 22, 2017
SIRmanjar:

Evrybody blow ur trumpet...PARARAMPARA tongue

If he doesn't is it the fake media that will blow it? undecided
Re: Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:05am On Mar 22, 2017
bonechamberlain:

U should learn how to criticize without being emotional or using abusive words. Three times u quoted the guy olaadegbu he displayed maturity and civility by refraining from replying you with insults, but u still didn't figure it out. I thought you have gone past this

That is the spoilt liberal left for you. They preach tolerance but cannot tolerate a person exercising his right to free speech.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:28am On Mar 22, 2017
bonechamberlain:

God bless you my brother for talking some sense into him but does he have a heart for it? They for some reasons only understand free speech to be hate speech. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Trump Vows To 'Totally Destroy' 60yr Old 'Amendment' That Divides Church & State by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:32am On Mar 22, 2017
bonechamberlain:

Obama and his cronies here often claim to be Christians but their speech and characters betray them for who they really are.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Putin To Impose Martial Law In Russia On March 4 / Reinforcement Arrives Niger As Nigerian Army Build Up Around Border (video) / Ottawa Gunman Is Convert To Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.