Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,448 members, 7,812,370 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:22 PM

Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University (24827 Views)

Covenant University Ranks 91st Best University Amongst Emerging Economies / Top 10 Best University Campuses In Nigeria / The Easiest And The Best University To Study Medicine In Nigeria (modified) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by MrAwePresident: 7:20am On Feb 04, 2017
1.Academic Calendar
OAU is constantly changing it's calendar, due to unforeseen circumstances. Fresh students that are admitted into the school today will have to wait for another whole year before they are matriculated. No student can predict their date of graduation nor matriculation in OAU unlike private universities.

2.Strikes Strikes and more strikes
OAU is the renowned king of strikes.
Everybody strikes,
ASUU AKA LECTURERS STRIKES
NASU AKA NON ACADEMICS STAFF STRIKES(, lab attendants, secretaries etc meaning no practicals , no clearances to be attended to. )
SUG AKA STUDENTS STRIKE

At the slightest provocation in this university, the next thing they resort to is strike indefinitely.

If you are looking forward to learning something part time, then this school will always create time for you to learn it in form of strikes.
Note that the average graduate will spend 5-10 years in this university irrespective if you are doing a 4 years course.

To be continued soon...

8 Likes

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by MrAwePresident: 7:27am On Feb 04, 2017
3.Size of The University
Everyone is blinded by the so called beauty of the school that they don't see the size of the school as a challenge.
The distance one has to travel from hostel to the lecture theatres is unbelievable. No university in Nigeria is as big as this one. By the time you are done trekking and finally got to the lecture theatre, in between the lecture you will begin to doze off no matter how hard you try to fight it you most doze.

If you choose to bike up and down it won't be long your finances will run out.

OAU needs to learn how to settle their issues creatively and innovatively without having to resort to strikes.

3b. With all land they have and a whole faculty of agriculture

You would expect that they will be on the frontier of farming, but that's not the case.
The administration just waits and depends strongly on government allocation.

Some one will say that a university is not meant to meddle in business, but that's false OAU has a pure water factory and a bakery.

Why can't they invest in agriculture and export their produce to other states and outside the country thereby employing a significant amount of their graduates but they are used to easy money all they need to do is extort parents or strike and hold the students at ransom.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by MrAwePresident: 7:42am On Feb 04, 2017
4. Violence

Jungle justice OAU
Jungle justice OAU
Jungle justice OAU

This where it is taught and mastered
If you see when they catch a thief... My goodness
They beat them up like wild animals... Even some law students will join in the beating of someones child.

They forget about how the legal system works

The SUG is very guilty of this.
The worst thing is that doesn't deter others from stealing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by MrAwePresident: 7:45am On Feb 04, 2017
adonbilivit:
chai! op, OAU must have denied you admission 7 times before you finally got admitted in National open university
the first time I applied to OAU
I got admitted
The University lives on and prides itself on past glory
Now lemme finish my points
So that those who have ear will hear

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by decatalyst(m): 7:51am On Feb 04, 2017
You must be a pained bro!

I don't understand why the hatred cuts so deep into you like this...guaee its some kind of complex

Move on bro, there is always success around the corner for everyone regardless of whether you attend school or not.

Take heart tongue tongue

6 Likes

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by segzy17: 7:55am On Feb 04, 2017
ur list is nt complete now.
Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by MrAwePresident: 8:09am On Feb 04, 2017
5.OAU is a Cheap University is an illusion

5.a School fees is cheap but admission fee and housing are extremely expensive
Cost of housing is averagely about 5 times the cost of school fees

Sometimes cheap things can be bad things

5.b They will employ one lecture to take 500- 1000 students in a lecture theatre that's meant to sit only 50 -100 students

5.c You get into your lab ready for practical and they tell you one thing or two have finished and thus no practicals or you raise money amongst yourselves to get the reageant.

5.d As A social entrepreneur it can be depressing
The students here have a mentality of either cheap or free ,that's why the social life is dead.
If an enterprising student wishes to bring an entertainer like Olamide, he must be wise about the timing. Many times have come when organizers clash with students because of price, the students organise themselves to forcefully enter your shows without paying a dime samething happens when you organise parties.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by MrAwePresident: 8:09am On Feb 04, 2017
segzy17:
ur list is nt complete now.
keep calm it's been updated
Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by MrAwePresident: 8:18am On Feb 04, 2017
6.OAU is not so beautiful

The living quarters for students is unliviable
A whole university of about 30,000 students admitting around 5,000 per year can't afford to maintain their hostels.
No one should be blinded by external beauty alone.
The rooms decided for only 2 people are now accommodating 12 - 20 people. Thats not an exaggeration, visit the rooms at night and you will clearly see for yourself, this is party due to the extreme high cost of living outside campus.

The toilets is nothing to write about it's just unbelievable how humans live like that and don't do anything about it

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by MrAwePresident: 8:26am On Feb 04, 2017
7. OAU have poor employment network

I have worked in two reputable Oil companies as a contract staff. These two companies didn't employ a single fresh OAU graduate. The employees were mainly made up of fresh convenant, uniben, UI and Unilag graduates. When I finally met an OAU graduate in the company he had graduated about 20 years ago.

When I say fresh someone that graduated at most 5 Years ago from their university

21 Likes

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by segzy17: 8:35am On Feb 04, 2017
4loing
Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by MrAwePresident: 8:37am On Feb 04, 2017
8.OAU is for labelling and culture.

How many patents can OAU boast of...? Especially in recent years?

That should be the true yard stick for measuring a Great University

The curriculum is not designed to teach you anything except labels like 2.1,2.2 etc
Upon graduation from this school you will discover that you are in no way equipt with the skills that fit in the work place.
The school only focuses on grading papers and type of grade.

Lemme tell you a true story
A particular year while I was an undergraduate
11 students of the department of elect elect as at PART 4 / 400L
Where on the path of first class
Do you know what the lectures did?
Instead of them too congratulate them, the department sabotaged their IT results

IT takes 9 - 15 units. Imagine someone scoring D or E in internship

At last only 2 graduated with a first class

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by MrAwePresident: 8:49am On Feb 04, 2017
9a Grading system
Because of the importance of this point I will break it down into 3 parts

OAU as at first year in the University, especially if you are a tech student will give you 5 unit courses.
Most first year students won't understand the importance of the units of a course until it's too late.
Most first year students will spend more time preparing for a 1 unit course than they will spend on a 5 unit course because they don't fully understand the concept of units.
Once they fail or score low in a 5 unit course there GP will need extra effort to recover.
Unlike Unilag that have 3 units as the highest number of units for a first year.

9b.
When a student fails a course.
The F will be calculated in the GP, Even if they retake the course and score an A. The effect of the A will be like the effect of a C on their CGPA.

U. I doesn't calculate F in your GP

9c
Nobody has any idea how scripts are marked or even marked at all.
You can read and write all the answers you believe are the right answers but low and behold they will provide one with a surprising score and you dare not complain

My number 10 point is Corruption
OAU is one of the most corrupt schools in Nigeria
Unless you are ignorant about the struggle of power concerning the vice chancellors office..that's going on now
Even EFCC has intervened

Then you will disagree with me.

Several Vice chancellors having been spending the money meant from lectures and none academic staff given to them by the federal government on their own privately.

9 Likes

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by HIScraziness(m): 9:35am On Feb 04, 2017
Nigerians sha!!

Some peeps bin saying the op didn't attend the university, what's so special about having a degree anyways tongue tongue

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by MrAwePresident: 9:37am On Feb 04, 2017
HIScraziness:
Nigerians sha!!

Some peeps bin saying the op didn't attend the university, what's so special about having a degree anyways tongue tongue
I tire o... Some will even be pursuing Msc in this country... They are busy celebrating mediocrity

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by mat2d6boi(m): 10:19am On Feb 04, 2017
MrAwePresident:
the first time I applied to OAU
I got admitted
The University lives on and prides itself on past glory
Now lemme finish my points
So that those that have ear will hear
stop telling lies bro, if u were admitted into OAU b4 then u must av graduated from there and be an alumni and be proud of ur uni anywhere on earth. look at u defaming OAU, you talk like someone dat has been rusticated due to low performance, that is even if you are telling the truth about your admission into OAU.

25 Likes

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by mat2d6boi(m): 10:32am On Feb 04, 2017
o ma shey oooooo.... OAU is it good like dis? ah! I wonder the numerous number of years this guy would have used to process OAU admission but end up disappointed that made him make a write up like dis to do all he can to defame OAU as a result of the frustration and hatred. sorry ooo, Mr awe president , ar u now coping in the national open university am sure u are due to all the rejection of your admission by OAU

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by Eleniyan15: 11:11am On Feb 04, 2017
every strike was a hit back 2 back... Bleep that shit

5 Likes

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by Nobody: 11:24am On Feb 04, 2017
Jarushub, nairaland, just to mention but a few..This looks like past glory.. Okay, Imperial Barel Award(2016) Africa, microsoft imagine cup, and a host of others.. Those are indeed past glories... Well u can say that again.. Though we go on strike cos we are not just some bunch of zombies going to school, we are sensitive and always concious of the need that brought up this ivory tower into place originally.. We love our school just the way it is.. We love to trek from faj hall and Akintola to Yellow house only to go and doze off there, it brings delight to us.. I bet a bunch of Oau trained lecturers must have had a hand in ur life successes today.. Oh, we are in d next phase, we aint looking to multinational coys to employ us, we are into startups now and our entrepreneural drive is on a surge you cant even comprehend.. My school stands for something, and that thing is unique in its blue and gold.. OF THE GREATEST IFE!!!

70 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by MrAwePresident: 12:06pm On Feb 04, 2017
mat2d6boi:
stop telling lies bro, if u were admitted into OAU b4 then u must av graduated from there and be an alumni and be proud of ur uni anywhere on earth. look at u defaming OAU, you talk like someone dat has been rusticated due to low performance, that is even if you are telling the truth about your admission into OAU.

All I speak is the truth
Because I'm an Alumnus doesn't mean I should deceive people
There's too much hype about OAU than there's fact here on Nairaland

28 Likes

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by MrAwePresident: 12:10pm On Feb 04, 2017
mat2d6boi:
o ma shey oooooo.... OAU is it good like dis? ah! I wonder the numerous number of years this guy would have used to process OAU admission but end up disappointed that made him make a write up like dis to do all he can to defame OAU as a result of the frustration and hatred. sorry ooo, Mr awe president , ar u now coping in the national open university am sure u are due to all the rejection of your admission by OAU

Calm down, the only reason I took time to write this is because early this morning I saw a thread on FP hyping OAU. Only the pros were written nothing about the cons

9 Likes

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by MrAwePresident: 12:13pm On Feb 04, 2017
Peterjosh:
Jarushub, nairaland, just to mention but a few..This looks like past glory.. Okay, Imperial Barel Award(2016) Africa, microsoft imagine cup, and a host of others.. Those are indeed past glories... Well u can say that again.. Though we go on strike cos we are not just some bunch of zombies going to school, we are sensitive and always concious of the need that brought up this ivory tower into place originally.. We love our school just the way it is.. We love to trek from faj hall and Akintola to Yellow house only to go and doze off there, it brings delight to us.. I bet a bunch of Oau trained lecturers must have had a hand in ur life successes today.. Oh, we are in d next phase, we aint looking to multinational coys to employ us, we are into startups now and our entrepreneural drive is on a surge you cant even comprehend.. My school stands for something, and that thing is unique in its blue and gold.. OF THE GREATEST IFE!!!

Bruh... If OAU is such a beautiful thing... Why did the founder of Nairaland drop out... Abi you don't know that seun is a dropout of OAU... Stop fooling younger generations please that's all I ask.
You can hype the school in your offices and places of work but don't deceive kids

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by Lanre90(m): 12:37pm On Feb 04, 2017
mat2d6boi:
what makes him a liar... If somebody father is a drunkard doesn't he fool himself by Saying that he's father is not one. Op is only saying the truth and not pretending like the rest of you OAU zombies

24 Likes

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by Nobody: 2:31pm On Feb 04, 2017
MrAwePresident:

Bruh... If OAU is such a beautiful thing... Why did the founder of Nairaland drop out... Abi you don't know that seun is a dropout of OAU... Stop fooling younger generations please that's all I ask.
You can hype the school in your offices and places of work but don't deceive kids
Hype OAU, that's sickening... There ain't no need for that.. And to say the least, Bill Gate is dropout likewise.. So dont justify the quality of a school by the number of dropouts that took a leave.. I know OAU is not where it should be in the league of Universities but it is not as sore as u are painting it to d kids...

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by mat2d6boi(m): 2:32pm On Feb 04, 2017
hello my fellas in the room, pls don't be misinformed by a fellow who is judging this university(OAU) on sentiment, it may be that he has some complicated issues during his time in the university caused by himself or the management. Dis is because I can't even figure out how a person proudly graduated from the uni then finally come out to blacklist, defame and tarnish the image of his university. then what should he be proud of if he can sit down to make a 'itchy' write up like this about his alma mater to the world; I don't think that is sensible or realistic. please my fellas, room members let's all judge with clarity and lucidity and steer clear of unnecessary .......
for me , to be sincere , I know that currently OAU is not the best uni in 9ja due to some challenges faced by her but I want you to know that OAU have been rated the best university so many times. Also, it's normal for things to fluctuate and I see the little fall of OAU as due to the competition of other universities which OAU hasn't realised. but....am very sure dat dis OAU I know will get back to its first position, i believe.
#notsentimental
#greatestIFE

23 Likes

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by mat2d6boi(m): 2:38pm On Feb 04, 2017
Peterjosh:
I know OAU is not where it should be in the league of Universities but it is not as sore as u are painting it to d kids...
hey guy, I don't understand what you mean by dat "OAU is not where it should be in the league of universities" please, may u clarify ur point.
Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by Nobody: 2:42pm On Feb 04, 2017
mat2d6boi:
hey guy, I don't understand what you mean by dat "OAU is not where it should be in the league of universities" please, may u clarify ur point.
Not among the best 1000 in the world.. Are u understanding?
Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by mat2d6boi(m): 3:04pm On Feb 04, 2017
Peterjosh:
Not among the best 1000 in the world.. Are u understanding?
gat u, everyone knows that
Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by simplymat: 3:40pm On Feb 04, 2017
from the op write up, I deduce that he must have been frustrated by OAU. buh you don't have to go that far - misguiding people by spoiling the reputation of the university. just "keep your head up high, everything is gonna be alright" mah guy. you've done your best sha, by retaliating

8 Likes

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by mozihla: 4:24pm On Feb 04, 2017
cry why has it always been oau?? huh? its always oau this or that.... can't you just leave the school alone the way people create threads about this school make me feel its really a good school............ people usually "beef" good things..

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oau : 10 Reasons Why Its Not The Best University by MrAwePresident: 6:03pm On Feb 04, 2017
mozihla:
cry why has it always been oau?? huh? its always oau this or that.... can't you just leave the school alone the way people create threads about this school make me feel its really a good school............ people usually "beef" good things..
Bros I dare you to go there... Nairalanders are mostly team OAU, team Chelsea and team antimmm. So don't get misguided you are in there land

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned / 7 Benefits Of Attending A Public University / Funaab Sug President Was Beaten And Harrased By The Nigerian Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.