Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,470 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

Private Universities Vs Public Universities - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Private Universities Vs Public Universities (23936 Views)

Parents, Students Lament High ‘Acceptance Fee’ In Public Universities / George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia / ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by geedot: 4:12pm On Feb 05, 2017
shedybaba44:
am a graduate of a public university Computer Science, I rather do my masters in CU than all this public university in Nigeria that their lecturer don't no common Html
And what makes you think the Lecturers in private are better off?
Is it not the same Lecturers that had lectured or still lecturing in Public universities that now teach in this Private Unis?
it's your decision to have your Masters in a University of your choice but making such decision based on the point you mentioned kinda pointless.
The last time I checked Public universities especially Federal boast of the best Lecturers in the country and these private Unis even pay them as a per time Lecturer. Going to private varsity is just like changing of water bottle, so to say, na still the same water dey inside.

3 Likes

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by SonOfEl(m): 4:29pm On Feb 05, 2017
DMeanMan:
First of, I wouldn't categories and compare all Federal Institutions against Private institutions.

I'd talk about the ones I've been to.

Federal Universities: UNAB, UI, OAU

Private University: Covenant

I'd say it here and now that Covenant University is far better than all the federal universities up there when it comes to Engineering. Quote me anywhere.

Theoretically they are more sound. Better in pratical is good and the kind of connections you build mehn, state of the art shiit.

I'm not saying UI, OAU engineering guys are not good, cos the truth is those guys too rock, but when it comes to learning and getting the competencies that matter in the job market, CU beats them all hands down.

My two cents

I beg to refuse your 2 cents. FUTO FUTA and UNN and even YABATECH (a polytechnic) are very strong engineering schools. You are only stating yours because its the one you know.

You can't beat them when it comes to practicals. How I wish NUC reconsiders assessing schools on faculty basis. The following schools are usually known mainly for the following:
1. Medicals - UI, UNEC, UNIJOS (Boko Haram relegated UNIMAID)
2. Info Technology (IT) and Mass Comm. - UNILAG unrivaled
3. Creative Arts - OAU, UNN, UNILAG, UNIBEN, UI
4. Engineering - UNN, OAU, FUTA, FUTO, ABU, FUTMINNA
5. Law - LASU, OAU, UNEC, UI, UNIBEN, UNILAG
6. Education - UNN, UI
7. Agriculture - UI, ABU, FUNAAB, UNN, MOUAU
8. Physical/Biological Sciences - Almost all schools

I can't recall all.... But these are the ones I could remember back when we were under guidance and counselling in FGC Odogbolu in the late 90s/ early 00s
Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by Iyalodeofcanada: 4:33pm On Feb 05, 2017
Anytime I see topics like this, I just shake my head in amazement at how funny people can be. In my opinion and with my experience studying abroad, I will enlighten you abit. The goal is neither to seek personal aggrandizement of any sort or make anyone feel better on any part of the divide. I currently study in Canada and I have to tell you that I have seen first class international students from Nigeria in my field (computer science, computer engineering, mathematics) being expelled from time to time. While some are from the so called federal universities, other are from private universities. It's a general thing most of us find it so hard to cope because of the mode of instruction in Nigeria. Most importantly the quality of the professors(no exceptions). It may interest you to know that I attended a private university before comming here and most of my professors are products of these so called federal universities who knew next to nothing when it comes to applied focused teaching. Some of them can not even write one single line of code. All they know is theoretical and not application. They possibly were taught the same way and it all goes in circles. In my own opinion it's all the same rat race. Those who stand tall are those who have invested their time and resources in personal development by learning the real stuffs needed to thrive and stand competing outside the rotten walls of our institution. What an undergraduate student knows here interms of coding, algorithms and data structures(application wise), a good number of masters students in the Nigerian context knows(only by definitions of terms). The bottom line is go beyond the trash most of them teach, develop yourself and fly high no matter the continent you find yourself now or in the future. At the end of the day, it's not about the name of the school it's about what you have made of yourself.I rest my case.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by sonyvaio(f): 4:39pm On Feb 05, 2017
There is no competition here, your university gives you a qualification which is an entry requirement. Real education begins after graduation, within every graduate is a seed to succeed. The key to success is to be fruitful, multiply and replenish..... sounds familiar? Fruitful = produce value, multiply = expand, replenish = innovate.

Having said that, If you are a private university student who will like to be paid to write about your university news/gossip/gist on an online magazine, contact me - oluisrel@yahoo.co.uk

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by SonOfEl(m): 4:40pm On Feb 05, 2017
Iyalodeofcanada:
Anytime I see topics like this, I just shake my head in amazement at how funny people can be. In my opinion and with my experience studying abroad, I will enlighten you abit. The goal is neither to seek personal aggrandizement of any sort or make anyone feel better on any part of the divide. I currently study in Canada and I have to tell you that I have seen first class international students from Nigeria in my field (computer science, computer engineering, mathematics) being expelled from time to time. While some are from the so called federal universities, other are from private universities. It's a general thing most of us find it so hard to cope because of the mode of instruction in Nigeria. Most importantly the quality of the professors(no exceptions). It may interest you to know that I attended a private university before comming here and most of my professors are products of these so called federal universities who knew next to nothing when it comes to applied focused teaching. Some of them can not even write one single line of code. All they know is theoretical and not application. They possibly were taught the same way and it all goes in circles. In my own opinion it's all the same rat race. Those who stand tall are those who have invested their time and resources in personal development by learning the real stuffs needed to thrive and stand competing outside the rotten walls of our institution. What an undergraduate student knows here interms of coding, algorithms and data structures(application wise), a good number of masters students in the Nigerian context knows(only by definitions of terms). The bottom line is go beyond the trash most of them teach, develop yourself and fly high no matter the continent you find yourself now or in the future. At the end of the day, it's not about the name of the school it's about what you have made of yourself.I rest my case.

I disagree with your analogy. A professor from a university like UI, UNN, OAU, ABU, UNILAG, or UNIBEN knows his or her onions both home and abroad. Don't generalize your observations They even attend symposia, align with foreign colleagues for research, etc.

you are making these remarks because you are a product of a private university. So far, its CU that I have respect for.

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by dsocioemmy(m): 4:51pm On Feb 05, 2017
Arguements that leads to nowhere.....
Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by adewumiopeyemi(m): 4:58pm On Feb 05, 2017
U are il not me
EAZY2422:
wait! Are u ill?
Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by emmacares4u(m): 5:00pm On Feb 05, 2017
ednut1:
Una don start again o, although i attended a public uni, private uni guys are more than a match. Go to KPMG, PWC, Access bank, Stanbic, Diamond bank, Sclum etc na Babcock and convenant guys dey rain there. they mostly have better packaging than public uni guys. the same thing that happened to public secondary school will soon happen to Public unis.

You are right.

May God bless your wisdom
Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by Nobody: 5:05pm On Feb 05, 2017
geedot:
Is it not the same Lecturers that had lectured or still lecturing in Public universities that now teach in this Private Unis?
it's your decision to have your Masters in a University of your choice but making such decision based on the point you mentioned kinda pointless.
The last time I checked Public universities especially Federal boast of the best Lecturers in the country and these private Unis even pay them as a per time Lecturer. Going to private varsity is just like changing of water bottle, so to say, na still the same water dey inside.
I schooled in CU and I was never taught by a per time lecturer
Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by sneak3(m): 5:09pm On Feb 05, 2017
Ejo lo Fe ro.. We Don go, we Don learn, we comot on time, we collect certificate, we Don de work, and we mingle with Federal school products and to shock u @op those guys ain't any better.

Idleness and quest for relevance prompted this topic.

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by SonOfEl(m): 5:11pm On Feb 05, 2017
sneak3:
Ejo lo Fe ro.. We Don go, we Don learn, we comot on time, we collect certificate, we Don de work, and we mingle with Federal school products and to shock u @op those guys ain't any better.

Idleness and quest for relevance prompted this topic.

As you sneaked in, pls sneak out.... You are obviously a product of an unknown and perhaps unlicensed private uni....
Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by Iyalodeofcanada: 5:14pm On Feb 05, 2017
SonOfEl:

I disagree with your analogy. A professor from a university like UI, UNN, OAU, ABU, UNILAG, or UNIBEN knows his or her onions both home and abroad. Don't generalize your observations They even attend symposia, align with foreign colleagues for research, etc.

you are making these remarks because you are a product of a private university. So far, its CU that I have respect for.
you have to be open minded to understand my post. As an undergrad in Nigeria, apart from having products of some of this universities as my professor, we at many point had the so called erudite professors come to my school on sabatical and I can categorically tell you that they teach nothing different or new. It's all the same. I had friends as an undergrad in these schools. Majority of them always complain about outdated concepts and teachings just like I do as well. Also, I currently have friends who after graduation went for a masters degree in some of these schools in my own field(I have been making reference to this point). I have heard them complain about the lack of technical teachings. In my opinion it's still the same old wine in refurbished bottle. (at least for my own field). Now about your remark about being a product of a private university;well yes I am a product of a private university a proud one at that. By the special grace of God, I have been on a funded degree right from Nigeria and I have won couple of more. In less than two years I have published two articles in reknown journals and I am a product of private university. Dear friend, I still maintain that if it's any University in Nigeria at all private or public, personal development is the key. They are almost all the same. Good day!

2 Likes

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by amokeme(f): 5:32pm On Feb 05, 2017
I just wonder when this private uni and federal uni headache will end! Can't we all be proud of our schools and just let ourselves be?
Private or public university doesn't really matter, you can call it a glorified secondary school, it won't stop people from going there.. you only have the power to stop yourself and not take your children there. You see how simple it is?
Public university are living on past glory? well, it won't stop students from applying there, you only have he power to stop yourself and your children... you see how easy that is? Good!
What is important at the end of the day is we all become useful tools to our family and the society at large irrespective of where you went to school,

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by Iphe56: 5:34pm On Feb 05, 2017
Whether private or not
There is only one major focus which is to achieve success
I don't know why you created dis topic but it's something obvious that private university is less superior to public but come to think of it.... it's not easy to create one and besides it's owned by private individuals or organization Not the Government!

#PROUD BOWENITE
#privatate #uni #no #dey #strike
4 years is 4 years
5 years is 5 years

3 Likes

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by crowther15(m): 5:40pm On Feb 05, 2017
ednut1:
Una don start again o, although i attended a public uni, private uni guys are more than a match. Go to KPMG, PWC, Access bank, Stanbic, Diamond bank, Sclum etc na Babcock and convenant guys dey rain there. they mostly have better packaging than public uni guys. the same thing that happened to public secondary school will soon happen to Public unis.
Oga wetin na. It cant work that way because Public secondary schools are just too much when compare to Unis of at least two in a state
Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by amokeme(f): 5:46pm On Feb 05, 2017
geedot:
True but they tend to behave themselves more in private universities unlike they do in the federal schools(their comfort zone),
You have no reason to miss a class, no reason what so ever. Amd you have to be readily available wheh a student needs you. So you see the little but pronounced difference?

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by Nobody: 6:35pm On Feb 05, 2017
Lol...
Public school vs foreign universities.
Idiots
Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by geedot: 6:44pm On Feb 05, 2017
amokeme:

True but they tend to behave themselves more in private universities unlike they do in the federal schools(their comfort zone),
You have no reason to miss a class, no reason what so ever. Amd you have to be readily available wheh a student needs you. So you see the little but pronounced difference?
Yeah, you've got a point!
I know Private Universities are well managed compared to the Public ones but that doesn't mean the former is better.
I attend UI by the way and each course is being taken by at least 3 different Lecturers just to complement for those that would not be around at a particular point in time during the semester, so you see we hardly have missed classes unless in few cases.

2 Likes

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by geedot: 6:48pm On Feb 05, 2017
Statsocial:

I schooled in CU and I was never taught by a per time lecturer
May be, May be not. But I know of at least 4-5 Lecturers in my Faculty that lectures in CU in particular till this very moment.

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by Hallams(m): 6:57pm On Feb 05, 2017
State universities are also public universities ,all I know is that most state universities are no match for private universities. We keep on comparing the ui and oau with cu and the rest these unis are older than these private universities it is a matter of time before private universities beat their standards. Finally,we have bad eggs in private universities as well as in public universities. Our educational system in Nigeria is screwed up. Employers do not care about your school but what you have up there

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by Themandator: 7:03pm On Feb 05, 2017
SonOfEl:
First of all, I have no personal beef or ish with private universities in Nigeria. Kudos to them. However I feel they are no match for the public universities.

Asides Covenant University which has been pursuing academic excellence rigorously, all other private universities are mere profit companies.

But even if you tell me to pick between covenant university and any first or second generation public university, I would still go for the public universities. Why?

1. They have a well established alumni of global reckoning.
2. They are not driven or motivated by profit as observed in private schools which are owned by private individuals or groups. They are driven by innate academic excellence.
3. Unlike private universities, they expose one to the real world of obstacles, manoeuverings, economy, and independence, all together laced with academic pursuit.

I know Covenant (and others) aims to be like Harvard university. But harvard, though private in ownership, is public in setting. The US government is a serious stakeholder in the university, so the university is not entirely private so to say.

Just my take. Don't crucify me abeg o....

You mentioned profit making severally in your article but I can tell you that anyone who has invested in a private university is driven by humanity........there is no private university in Nigeria that can claimed to have recoup the proprietors initial investment not to talk of profit.

The billions that they sink into these universities can be kept in the stock market and it will make them board members of those profitable companies.....they can use same for dollar round tripping and cash out over and over again.

Even the shantytown called Madonna cost money
Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by Nobody: 7:42pm On Feb 05, 2017
geedot:
you make me laugh in French have seen CU student doing crazy things in IT and I have met their lecturers better off,than federal some of them schooled outside and they have certification before you are taken to lecture not like the jaggons in federal my supervisor number 1

2 Likes

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by geedot: 8:11pm On Feb 05, 2017
shedybaba44:
you make me laugh in French have seen CU student doing crazy things in IT and I have met their lecturers better off,than federal some of them schooled outside and they have certification before you are taken to lecture not like the jaggons in federal my supervisor number 1
And who told you none of the Public Universities Lecturers schooled abroad?
I don't know the school you attend but saying the Lecturers in Private are better off compared to Public is fallacy! Most(if not all) of their Lecturers are product of these Public Universities, so what really are we arguing about?
Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by Nobody: 9:57pm On Feb 05, 2017
geedot:
And who told you none of the Public Universities Lecturers schooled abroad?
I don't know the school you attend but saying the Lecturers in Private are better off compared to Public is fallacy! Most(if not all) of their Lecturers are product of these Public Universities, so what really are we arguing about?
My point is Nigeria university is a flop,nigeria lecturers are flop,poverty makes one school in this Pathetic system of education I regret ever schooling in Nigeria. and if God blesses me non of my kids will school here Covenant university is the only manageable university in Nigeria not all this public schools that bribe their way to be name best in Nigeria,best my ass

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by teekrackz(m): 10:01pm On Feb 05, 2017
Success is not a function of a place but of a person. I'm a student of Joseph Ayo Babalola University and I can tell you, this place is no joke.
Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by teekrackz(m): 10:01pm On Feb 05, 2017
Success is not a function of a place but of a person. I'm a student of Joseph Ayo Babalola University and I can tell you, this place is no joke.
Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by geedot: 10:54pm On Feb 05, 2017
shedybaba44:
My point is Nigeria university is a flop,nigeria lecturers are flop,poverty makes one school in this Pathetic system of education I regret ever schooling in Nigeria. and if God blesses me non of my kids will school here Covenant university is the only manageable university in Nigeria not all this public schools that bribe their way to be name best in Nigeria,best my ass
May the Lord be with you bro. This is frustration at it peak. I feel your pain bro. And a capital AMEN to your prayer.
Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by JayJustus(m): 11:16pm On Feb 05, 2017
forget it...i didn't school in Nigeria but I can conveniently say Covenant university is the best in Nigeria...a good university is driven by research...most public universities in Nigeria started in the 60s and covenant started in 2002 and they're top 3 in Nigeria all these public universities should keep quiet...look at the graduates they breed...one was giving testimony in Church that day and what I was hearing a UNILAG graduate speak hian...
Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by TheRealAdonye(m): 11:43pm On Feb 05, 2017
grin grin You guys need a total re-orientation.

InyinyaAgbaOku:

The reason they are reigning in top companies is the fact that their parents have been rich and influential from day one.
Don't ever think it's cos of what they know

crowther15:
Oga wetin na. It cant work that way because Public secondary schools are just too much when compare to Unis of at least two in a state
Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by Akachukwu42(m): 1:45am On Feb 06, 2017
Private university will always be wack
Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by Nobody: 11:09am On Feb 06, 2017
Akachukwu42:
Private university will always be wack

You've not been to all of them.
Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by ledgelessons(m): 1:08pm On Feb 06, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PHOTO: Public Schools In Kano Flooded Days After First Heavy Downpour / 6 Embarrassing Things That Can Happen To You In Class. / Deji Akinwande To Receive Presidential Award In The U.S

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.