Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,579 members, 7,823,516 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:11 AM

How To Identify A Nigerian Tailor That Is Not Possessed! - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How To Identify A Nigerian Tailor That Is Not Possessed! (1237 Views)

Nigerian Tailor Ruins Lady’s Graduation Dress. See What She Got (Photos) / Lady Calls Out Her Nigerian Tailor After Sewing This For Her (photos) / Nigerian Tailor Disappoints Client With Inferior Outfit After Paying N10,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Identify A Nigerian Tailor That Is Not Possessed! by Politicalidiot: 2:35am On Feb 05, 2017
Hello beautiful people,

Today’s post is on a very controversial topic and a question I get regularly as a fabric vendor from clients. Getting a good tailor or fashion designer seems like hardwork especially in Lagos and when you get a good tailor,so many times they are not so affordable especially at this time in Nigeria.

And I get so skeptical referring my clients to tailors especially clients that are not within lagos because you just cant be too sure…..

So personally, I put some factors in consideration before I choose my tailors ( yes I have more than One) which I will like to share with you our awesome readers and followers:

1. Type/cost of fabric : For some reasons, I have different tailors for differnt kind of fabrics.

For instance if I want to sew ankara fabric or a silk fabric that costs less than 5000 Naira, I will take it to low budget tailors around me but one thing I will always check is the finishing of clothes he/ she has sewn before. I will not pay so much for a cheap or low quality fabric but I will ensure I get a neat job. You will be surprised at how good some ‘local’ tailors are when it comes to sewing. But if the fabric in question is expensive , I will not take the risk of giving it to just anyone.

2. Intending style: Another factor I consider is the style I want to make.

Most times if I see a nice design on a person or on someone’s ( with my kind of body structure) social media page , I could approach the person and ask for details of the tailor that made it and patronise such tailors instead of disturbing my head trying to get a new tailor to replicate the design. But if I need to make a simple boubou or regular iro and buba, any regular tailor can make that and I always give them one of my best buba as sample so as to avoid mistakes

3. Creativity: I also check how creative some tailors are by asking them to sketch a design that will suit my body type. If the tailor can sketch something nice right in presence , I can trust him/her to make nice outfits.

4. Time frame: Another major problems with tailors is their ability to deliver on time. So I have learnt to always give them ample time by sending my fabric to them on time.

When you know your tailor is good at what he/she does which also means he/she will always be busy, you need to send fabrics like 2weeks before use.

Another tip is to update your native wear wardrobe with basic colors from time to time (check my post on native wardrobe staples HERE), so you always have something to wear when there’s an ’emergency’ party or event.

5. Test run: This is another tip I use when I see nice designs displayed by a tailor online or offline, I will first of all do a test run by giving him/her a cheap fabric to ‘test ‘ his/her handiwork .The outcome of the ‘test’ will determine my final decision.

Do you have any tip you will like to share on this topic or will you like to share your experience with different tailors? Please share in the comments section

Do have a great week ahead.

NB: So you want to sew? Get the best 2017 Fashion and Style inspirations all for free on - http://Needleplus.com

1 Like

Re: How To Identify A Nigerian Tailor That Is Not Possessed! by Politicalidiot: 3:30pm On Feb 05, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Amazing Hair Care Tips For Summer To Get Rid Of Dull, Damaged And Frizzy Hair / See The Giant Christmas Tree A Young Nigerian Lady Made With Tyres (photo) / Latest Ankara Styles Ideas For African Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.