Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,633 members, 7,813,091 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:53 AM

4 Mistakes 99% Of Students Make That’ll Slow Their Progress After Graduation - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 4 Mistakes 99% Of Students Make That’ll Slow Their Progress After Graduation (30329 Views)

Indian University Creates Cartoon Characters Of Students For Virtual Graduation / 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year / 6 Common Mistakes Students Make During Examination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Mistakes 99% Of Students Make That’ll Slow Their Progress After Graduation by Nobody: 3:31pm On Feb 07, 2017
Sezua:

Well, having a first class doesnt stop u from pursuing your entrepreneurial dreams, it even gives a head start in some instance. Quit the hating, first-class is cool
And wat meks u think I'm hatin?

the day they start thinking of being employers instead of b employed........Nigeria will bcom beta than wat it is nw.

#Bitter truth.

1 Like

Re: 4 Mistakes 99% Of Students Make That’ll Slow Their Progress After Graduation by Sezua(m): 3:36pm On Feb 07, 2017
pesinfada:

the day they start thinking of being employers instead of b employed........Nigeria will bcom beta than wat it is nw.

#Bitter truth.
you are a hater. If not you would realize having a good grade doesn't stop one from being an enterpreneur.
Re: 4 Mistakes 99% Of Students Make That’ll Slow Their Progress After Graduation by Phunkyposh(f): 3:42pm On Feb 07, 2017
mubarak89:

I love to think so grin. But more seriously, YES. Plus it's a passion too; I believe that if we push ourselves, transition from school to life-after-school can come with less troubles and I try to 'teach' that in the simplest way possible. tongue

Nice,, you are doing well bro.
Re: 4 Mistakes 99% Of Students Make That’ll Slow Their Progress After Graduation by Nobody: 3:43pm On Feb 07, 2017
Pascalin90:
Pls Op what practical skill/learning can you recommend for an English undergraduate? Thanks for your post.
....MC,motivation speaker,script editor e.t.c.
Re: 4 Mistakes 99% Of Students Make That’ll Slow Their Progress After Graduation by mubarak89(m): 4:04pm On Feb 07, 2017
Phunkyposh:

Nice,, you are doing well bro.
Thank you! I am elated cheesy

1 Like

Re: 4 Mistakes 99% Of Students Make That’ll Slow Their Progress After Graduation by czarr(m): 4:29pm On Feb 07, 2017
laudate:

Another shallow epistle from a person who has not thought outside the box. sad You think simply leaving this country is the key to success? Go abroad and see how many Nigerians are still living from hand to mouth with nothing to show for it, because they have mortgaged their future to the system over there. cry Many of them cannot even come home, because after many years abroad they have nothing to show for it. Do you know the number of Nigerian graduates with Masters' degrees driving taxi cabs, in New York? Others have taken to crime and illegal means to make money, out of desperation. While quite a good number have had to marry foreigners of low repute, just to obtain a residence permit. At the end of the day, those foreigners show them pepper and they can't do jack, because they lack the means to move. angry

Oga, think deeply before you fall into the trap of thinking 'going abroad' is a trip to paradise, and you end up making such mistakes. undecided For you to say NYSC is a waste of time, shows that you do not even understand what NYSC is all about. A number of my colleagues made use of their NYSC period to engage in small-scale businesses or learn new skills at their place of primary assignment, which ended up fetching them good money. I had a friend who finished from UNILAG and was posted to Warri. The guy got curious about kerosense business, made friends who taught him all he needed to know and got connected to people at the depot. At the end of his NYSC year, he made enough money to buy a small car. wink

Only fools think that education is over-rated. undecided Ask Buhari about the insults he received during elections and till date, because of his lack of an education. Education is a stepping stone, a periscope that broadens your horizon, and a tool that enables you to move from where you are, to where you want to be. At the very least, it gives you a professional identity, so that the public does not see you as a nonentity. It validates the little you have learnt. But it is not the final prize that puts food on your table. You still have to do more after getting an education, in order to become successful. sad And this is where people miss it. They think an educational certificate will automatically get them a job, without realising it is just one of the tools that shows them how to acquire skills that help them get ahead, or create a job.

There are so many little things you can do to keep body and soul together, pending when you get a good job. Think outside the box, study hard and network. Learn from entrepreneurs and visit small-scale industries for ideas. Above all, pray to God to send you divine help and inspiration. With God on your side, you will surely make a difference. undecided
he said in Nigeria bros
Re: 4 Mistakes 99% Of Students Make That’ll Slow Their Progress After Graduation by laudate: 4:45pm On Feb 07, 2017
czarr:
he said in Nigeria bros

Is that supposed to make a difference?
Re: 4 Mistakes 99% Of Students Make That’ll Slow Their Progress After Graduation by Nobody: 4:46pm On Feb 07, 2017
Sezua:

you are a hater. If not you would realize having a good grade doesn't stop one from being an enterpreneur.

Oga.....95% of 1st class Nigerian graduates prefers been employed than being employer......hahahahaha.

Take time and access dem u will see.
Re: 4 Mistakes 99% Of Students Make That’ll Slow Their Progress After Graduation by ifenes(m): 5:21pm On Feb 07, 2017
laudate:

Another shallow epistle from a person who has not thought outside the box. sad You think simply leaving this country is the key to success? Go abroad and see how many Nigerians are still living from hand to mouth with nothing to show for it, because they have mortgaged their future to the system over there. cry Many of them cannot even come home, because after many years abroad they have nothing to show for it. Do you know the number of Nigerian graduates with Masters' degrees driving taxi cabs, in New York? Others have taken to crime and illegal means to make money, out of desperation. While quite a good number have had to marry foreigners of low repute, just to obtain a residence permit. At the end of the day, those foreigners show them pepper and they can't do jack, because they lack the means to move. angry

Oga, think deeply before you fall into the trap of thinking 'going abroad' is a trip to paradise, and you end up making such mistakes. undecided For you to say NYSC is a waste of time, shows that you do not even understand what NYSC is all about. A number of my colleagues made use of their NYSC period to engage in small-scale businesses or learn new skills at their place of primary assignment, which ended up fetching them good money. I had a friend who finished from UNILAG and was posted to Warri. The guy got curious about kerosene business, made friends who taught him all he needed to know and got connected to people at the depot. At the end of his NYSC year, he made enough money to buy a small car. wink

Only fools think that education is over-rated. undecided Ask Buhari about the insults he received during elections and till date, because of his lack of an education. Education is a stepping stone, a periscope that broadens your horizon, and a tool that enables you to move from where you are, to where you want to be. At the very least, it gives you a professional identity, so that the public does not see you as a nonentity. It validates the little you have learnt. But it is not the final prize that puts food on your table. You still have to do more after getting an education, in order to become successful. sad And this is where people miss it. They think an educational certificate will automatically get them a job, without realising it is just one of the tools that shows them how to acquire skills that help them get ahead, or create a job.

There are so many little things you can do to keep body and soul together, pending when you get a good job. Think outside the box, study hard and network. Learn from entrepreneurs and visit small-scale industries for ideas. Above all, pray to God to send you divine help and inspiration. With God on your side, you will surely make a difference. undecided

University education is good but not necessary. But when you say education, I'm sure you only think of going to Uni and getting a degree certificate. Unfortunately that's not the only form of education. For example many people don't have a drivers license in the UK because they failed the theory test and they pulled out after many attempts . It means they are not prepared to drive. I drive the HGV trucks and it took me 3 months to practice my theory and practical. Trust me I feel well equipped to not only drive but know the rules and regulations, heights of whichever truck I drive and what type of bridge I can pass through. I am also well skilled to know hazards and road signs. That is education that took 4 months.

You mentioned people driving cabs in Europe, trust me they more money than many graduates in Europe....provided they are licensed. Do not look down on other skills and think going to uni is the only solution to life. I think a carpenter can be more successful than a bank manager in Nigeria if he knows his trade and is good at sales. Take a look at what the society consumes and you can easily produce lots of financial success by serving them. University certicate in Chemistry is of no importance in Nigeria, so why do people still go for it? Just to be called a graduate? Crazy!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Mistakes 99% Of Students Make That’ll Slow Their Progress After Graduation by laudate: 5:44pm On Feb 07, 2017
ifenes:
University education is good but not necessary. But when you say education, I'm sure you only think of going to Uni and getting a degree certificate. Unfortunately that's not the only form of education. For example many people don't have a drivers license in the UK because they failed the theory test and they pulled out after many attempts . It means they are not prepared to drive. I drive the HGV trucks and it took me 3 months to practice my theory and practical. Trust me I feel well equipped to not only drive but know the rules and regulations, heights of whichever truck I drive and what type of bridge I can pass through. I am also well skilled to know hazards and road signs. That is education that took 4 months.

You mentioned people driving cabs in Europe, trust me they more money than many graduates in Europe....provided they are licensed. Do not look down on other skills and think going to uni is the only solution to life. I think a carpenter can be more successful than a bank manager in Nigeria if he knows his trade and is good at sales. Take a look at what the society consumes and you can easily produce lots of financial success by serving them. University certicate in Chemistry is of no importance in Nigeria, so why do people still go for it? Just to be called a graduate? Crazy!

Guy, you claim that "I'm sure you only think of going to Uni and getting a degree certificate." That is untrue. If you read my post carefully, with an open mind, you would see that I stated clearly that education is a stepping stone and a tool. I never claimed that it was an end in itself. undecided

The requirements to acquire a degree certificate in a university varies from one department to the other, and from one course to the other. Even when you are studying for a degree, the process of study, research, analysis, evaluation, verification etc., demands some kind of discipline that comes in handy, at some stage in life. There is something called applied skills and application of knowledge, where skills learnt in one discipline can be applied to another, in order to get a better result.

In case you haven't noticed, the best furniture salesmen today, are university graduates. Ask the likes of Ibukun Awosika the owner of Chair Centre and Sokoa who is also the current Chairman of First Bank. She owns one of the largest furniture factories in Nigeria. Or talk to Tony Ezekiel of Itex Furniture Company in Abuja, about how he has made millions from his furniture sales. They employ lots of carpenters, but who hears about them? It is probably because those carpenters are uneducated or lack exposure. sad

I am sure that when it comes to medical care or legal defence, you would not say that "university education is good, but not necessary."

Your priority would be to get access to the most qualified doctor available to treat your health concerns, or to get an expert lawyer to handle your defence, if you ever find yourself on the wrong side of the law. sad The same scenario would occur, if you needed to build a house. You would seek for the best engineer, architect or project manager to assist you with the construction. I doubt if you would leave any major construction project solely in the hands of a bricklayer or a plumber, even though they would still come in useful at a certain point in the life of the project.

There are vocational skills that can be learnt on their own, but if you do have an education, I believe it makes it easier for such learning to be grasped more easily, by the recipient. There are other areas such as conducting research, critical thinking etc., that are taught in most classes in the university which end up coming in handy, when you eventually apply for a role that requires such skills. NASA scientists for example, would definitely not agree that university education is overrated. Chemistry graduates can always put their skills to use by synthesising compounds, healthcare products etc., from different substances, if they are able to do so. There are over 10 different branches of Chemistry such as Analytical Chemistry and others. Their degree is not useless. sad

Driving a cab or a HVG truck is not for everybody. I would never feel fulfilled in such a career. I need to use my mind and my intellect to create something that has value. Professional success is not all about money. The worker should also derive an intrinsic value or inner satisfaction from whatever role or task he engages in. I am not looking down on those with skills in driving and other such areas, but the truth is that university education still has a lot going for it, and should not be discarded or looked down upon. undecided
Re: 4 Mistakes 99% Of Students Make That’ll Slow Their Progress After Graduation by ifenes(m): 8:47pm On Feb 07, 2017
laudate:

Guy, you claim that "I'm sure you only think of going to Uni and getting a degree certificate." That is untrue. If you read my post carefully, with an open mind, you would see that I stated clearly that education is a stepping stone and a tool. I never claimed that it was an end in itself. undecided

The requirements to acquire a degree certificate in a university varies from one department to the other, and from one course to the other. Even when you are studying for a degree, the process of study, research, analysis, evaluation, verification etc., demands some kind of discipline that comes in handy, at some stage in life. There is something called applied skills and application of knowledge, where skills learnt in one discipline can be applied to another, in order to get a better result.

In case you haven't noticed the best furniture salesmen are university graduates. Ask the likes of Ibukun Awosika the owner of Chair Centre and Sokoa who is also the current Chairman of First Bank. She owns one of the largest furniture factories in Nigeria. Or talk to Tony Ezekiel of Itex Furniture Company in Abuja, about how he has made millions from his furniture sales. They employ lots of carpenters but who hears about them? It is probably because those carpenters are uneducated or lack exposure. sad

I am sure that when it comes to medical care or legal defence, you would not say that "university education is good, but not necessary."

Your priority would be to get access to the most qualified doctor available to treat your health concerns, or to get an expert lawyer to handle your defence, if you ever find yourself on the wrong side of the law. sad The same scenario would occur, if you needed to build a house. You would seek for the best engineer, architect or project manager to assist you with the construction. I doubt if you would leave any major construction project solely in the hands of a bricklayer or a plumber, even though they would still come in useful at a certain point in the life of the project.

There are vocational skills that can be learnt on their own, but if you do have an education I believe it makes it easier for such learning to be grasped more easily, by the recipient. There are other areas such as conducting research, critical thinking etc., that are taught in most classes in the university which end up coming in handy, when you eventually apply for a role that requires such skills. NASA scientists for example, would definitely not agree that university education is overrated. Chemistry graduates can always put their skills to use by synthesising compounds, healthcare products etc., from different substances, if they are able to do so. There are over 10 different branches of Chemistry such as Analytical Chemistry and others. Their degree is not useless. sad

Driving a cab or a HVAC truck is not for everybody. I would never feel fulfilled in such a career. I need to use my mind and my intellect to create something that has value. Professional success is not all about money. The worker should also derive an intrinsic value or inner satisfaction from whatever role or task he engages in. I am not looking down on those with skills in driving and other such areas, but the truth is that university education still has a lot going for it, and should not be discarded or looked down upon. undecided

So basically working in an office for someone else makes you fulfilled? I don't think earning £750 a week as a truck contractor ( your own truck) is without value. Tell me how many jobs will earn you that.

Doctors are necessary just as a plumber is necessary or a Builder. But when the country focus on becoming doctors, lawyers, zoologist chemist etc in a society that has no high demand then it is a waste. You do it for the money right but how much does a average banker earn in Nigeria ? Why waste so much years in school learning something that has 5% of happening. So many university graduates roaming the streets but less farmers when food is largely imported.

You can't look down on other skills but can only look up to them.

1 Like

Re: 4 Mistakes 99% Of Students Make That’ll Slow Their Progress After Graduation by laudate: 10:45pm On Feb 07, 2017
ifenes:
So basically working in an office for someone else makes you fulfilled? I don't think earning £750 a week as a truck contractor ( your own truck) is without value. Tell me how many jobs will earn you that.

Doctors are necessary just as a plumber is necessary or a Builder. But when the country focus on becoming doctors, lawyers, zoologist chemist etc in a society that has no high demand then it is a waste. You do it for the money right but how much does a average banker earn in Nigeria ? Why waste so much years in school learning something that has 5% of happening. So many university graduates roaming the streets but less farmers when food is largely imported.

You can't look down on other skills but can only look up to them.

What makes you think I work in an office? shocked There was nothing in my post to suggest that I do so. What I said was that I need to use my intellect to create something of value and that is what makes me fulfilled. I can do that in any setting. I do not have to work in an office to do so. cheesy

Secondly, money is not everything to everybody. It may be a prime motivator to some people, but for others it may not be. I have seen people in high-end professional careers, earning far more than what you quoted here. Yet they were depressed, because they were not following their passion, or doing something in a field where they could use their talents, and get intrinsic fulfilment.

I had a friend who I felt had a very successful career as an investment banker, in a high-flying multinational financial institution. But he was always very miserable. He had all the good trappings of life, anyone could wish for. But one day, he suddenly resigned and left everything to take up a role in the creative industry that paid less than a third of what he earned, and today he is far happier than he used to be.

Doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc. are essential in any society. wink So are other vocational skilled workers like plumbers, bricklayers etc. But in Nigeria, can you compare what the vocational workers earn on a monthly basis, with those in the professional fields?

Unlike in foreign countries where they are paid by the hour, in Nigeria many of these vocational workers lack basic education and are paid stipends per day. Very few of them have managed to break through the cycle of poverty, and build up their business using a proper structure.

These days you find automobile engineers or mechanical engineers opening up mechanical garages, and employing mechanics or technicians to work on vehicles.

Those mechanics probably know more than they do, but because of their exposure the graduate engineers have been able to build up a successful business on the backs of such mechanics, or by harnessing the skills of these technicians. undecided

I am not looking down on any profession. You asked: "Why waste so much years in school learning something that has 5% of happening." But my own point is simple.

Even if you do not end up not practising what you have studied at uni, the skills, rigour and discipline you put into acquiring your degree, will always come in useful as an applied skill, in any other field you choose to go into. So university education is not overrated.sad

I mentioned Ibukun Awosika earlier, who is the Chairman of First Bank. She actually studied Chemistry in university, as well as an MBA. I doubt if she has ever used her degree to get a job. But the skills she picked up at school, were applied in the business world, and today she is one of the highly-rated business women in the country. wink

Finally, you mentioned Zoology. It may interest you to know that there are over 27 different branches of Zoology from Aquaculture, Oceanography, Virology, Parasitology to Environmental Management and Toxicology etc. You can always specialise in any field.

The sad thing is that because people have such a poor perspective of such courses, they do not even bother to find out what they can do with it.

And each year, our private sector firms end up contracting jobs in such areas to foreigners, because our own people can't be bothered to undergo specialisation in these fields. undecided
Re: 4 Mistakes 99% Of Students Make That’ll Slow Their Progress After Graduation by sekem: 11:53am On Feb 09, 2017
pesinfada:

#Bitter truth.

You're right.

It is indeed the bitter truth.

What so many Nigerian youths need right now is a change or shift in mindset from becoming employees to becoming employers of labour.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chideraa Njoku Graduates From Indian University, Bags First Class, Gets A Gold / TASUED Closes School Over Clash Between Cultists And Host Community / Where Is The Ball Placed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.