Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,079 members, 7,814,743 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (138) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1983159 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:03pm On Nov 09, 2017
duntano:
Hello everyone. I would like to know if there is anyone in Nova Scotia here. We have not gotten our PPR yet but by Gods grace before the end of November. We are PNP and as I would like to know how the life is over at Nova Scotia. I haven’t seen any one talk of Nova Scotia here.
Any help will be appreciated

Please respond to this guyz. I'm also interested based on my NSPNP ongoing move.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ayodeji2017: 7:14pm On Nov 09, 2017
bigbroda:

Please respond to this guyz. I'm also interested based on my NSPNP ongoing move.
@duntano @ bigbroda.
Pls I will appreciate if you can put us through this PNP route.
Probably open a thread for the PNP so that we don't derail the objective of this thread
Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:58pm On Nov 09, 2017
ayodeji2017:

@duntano @ bigbroda.
Pls I will appreciate if you can put us through this PNP route.
Probably open a thread for the PNP so that we don't derail the objective of this thread
Thanks.

As a matter of fact I don't think there is much to it requiring d opening of a thread. I also understand d importance of not derailing here. I think such can be discussed on d EE thread. However, since I'm making dis post, lemme just say d major things there. U can ask further question on d EE thread and I will respond to d best of my knowledge. Also a learner though. Meanwhile, provinces have different requirements and modes of operation so it's advisable to check their various websites to know how they work. The ultimate is having a nomination from any of them to get an additional 600 points in your EE profile which guarantees ITA.
For Nova Scotia(category B), they have nocs in demand and applicants with d NOCs can apply when the website is opened for application. U also have to score a minimum of 67/100 to be eligible to apply. Watch out for d next opening day, ensure u meet up with their requirements and apply for free. They would review your application and nominate you if qualified. With dat u are good to go!

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by revlane: 9:18pm On Nov 09, 2017
XX01:

Not yet. On the portal, my application has been approved but no PUM yet. Sent them series of mails but no response. So, just waiting.

Please what is your Accra timeline, how long since your profile changed to approved.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 9:31pm On Nov 09, 2017
revlane:

Please what is your Accra timeline, how long since your profile changed to approved.

It took 4 weeks before it changed to approved. 28days exact. Then took another week to get the PUM. I think they sent it out in batches.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by revlane: 10:35pm On Nov 09, 2017
XX01:

It took 4 weeks before it changed to approved. 28days exact. Then took another week to get the PUM. I think they sent it out in batches.

Wow, that's pretty long. I estimated a month for the process. Will have to delay booking till Accra green light. Thanks a lot.
Best Wishes
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by koonlay5: 10:58pm On Nov 09, 2017
Please send me a pm.

yimiton:
Hello guys,

Please those that have successfully received response from FRSC in Abuja by email, was there anything in particular that you did?

I have sent a mail to NDLverification@frsc.gov.ng since September 25 and till date, no acknowledgement or response from them. I sent a reminder yesterday but I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get a response.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sunnx(f): 10:56am On Nov 10, 2017
Did Canada recognize Nigeria academy Degree or one's will forfeit it'a degree and purse another when migrating to Canada to fine greener pasture?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sunnx(f): 11:00am On Nov 10, 2017
Did Canada recognize Nigeria academy Degree or one's will forfeit it'a degree and purse another when migrating to Canada to fine greener pasture?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tribeD: 1:29pm On Nov 10, 2017
Hello yimiton,

Forward the email to info@frsc.gov.ng and copy helpdesk@frsc.gov.ng and you'll get a prompt response.

yimiton:
Hello guys,

Please those that have successfully received response from FRSC in Abuja by email, was there anything in particular that you did?

I have sent a mail to NDLverification@frsc.gov.ng since September 25 and till date, no acknowledgement or response from them. I sent a reminder yesterday but I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get a response.

9 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 2:04pm On Nov 10, 2017
sunnx:

The governement will in regards to your application to get you into the country. But employers won't, especially coming from Nigeria. Depending on your age, objective, etc I'd just do a bridging program and try to gain work experience through co op.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olajide21: 4:45pm On Nov 10, 2017
maternal:

The governement will in regards to your application to get you into the country. But employers won't, especially coming from Nigeria. Depending on your age, objective, etc I'd just do a bridging program and try to gain work experience through co op.

Whats the fastest way you would recommend for.an Architect? I've years of experience in Nigeria and also a registered Architect. A bridging course, masters again or going through registration as Architect for a particular province?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 6:10pm On Nov 10, 2017
Thanks, God bless you.

I'm trying it right away.

tribeD:
Hello yimiton,

Forward the email to info@frsc.gov.ng and copy helpdesk@frsc.gov.ng and you'll get a prompt response.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rocorleone: 9:39pm On Nov 10, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:

No procedure, really. Just walk into any NIPOST office and tell them you want to send a package to Canada. It's pretty straightforward.
Thanks.. Do you know how long it takes to get to Canada?
Because I'm thinking of how the drive test will be now it is snowing even after I've given them proof of driving records
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 7:30am On Nov 11, 2017
olayinkamentor:
ello am olayinka please I want to know what to do now I apply for Canada visitors visa since 28th of August and I got a response from vfs on the 4th of November I went there for collection to my surprise I only meet a letter and my passport saying that am not satisfied that I have sufficient funds. including income or assets. to carry out my stated purpose in coming to Canada or to maintain my self while in Canada and to effect my departure (2) am not satisfied that I will leave Canada at the end of my stay as a temporary resident as stipulated in paragraph 179 (b) of the IRPR based on your travel history. you are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can demonstrate that you situation meets the requirements please advise me of what to do in a case like this

Wrong thread. You have already posted in the right thread. Wait for answers there.

https://www.nairaland.com/2103860/canada-visit-tourist-visa-discussion

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 6:44pm On Nov 11, 2017
Getting a sublease is also a good way to get temporary accommodation. Instead of signing a one year lease.
advertising for a friend in case anyone is coming to Ottawa soon.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1312282345&requestSource=b

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 10:24pm On Nov 11, 2017
yimiton:
Hello guys,

Good day bro.

Can you please enlighten me on what you want to achieve with FRSC?

I'm curious because a friend in Canada told me that if I can get Letter of Good Conduct from FRSC before coming over to Canny, it may help me to get some elementary parts of Canadian drivers license process waived...

Kindly respond. Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amyames: 12:58am On Nov 12, 2017
Hi everyone!

Great thread, very informative. I have a few questions regarding proof of funds.

1. I know they sometimes ask for this at the port of entry, but do they actually check the amount, that it meets their minimum? For instance, I had to dip into my savings and it's now about 9,500 CAD, whereas the minimum amount for a single person is 12,300 CAD. Could this be a problem for me? I have heard that you can be denied entry right there due to proof of funds issues. Will they actually check if it's up to 12,300 CAD?

2. How to transport these funds? I've looked into opening a Canadian account from here, but the process is tedious and involves getting a lawyer to verify my documents. I want something simpler like using a bank draft in my name - has this worked for anyone? Diamondbank is really giving me hell these days and I'm nervous about trusting their services, especially since I won't be here to deal directly if it there's a glitch.

Please share your experience on this. I'll be much obliged. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 2:40am On Nov 12, 2017
amyames:
Hi everyone!

Great thread, very informative. I have a few questions regarding proof of funds.

1. I know they sometimes ask for this at the port of entry, but do they actually check the amount, that it meets their minimum? For instance, I had to dip into my savings and it's now about 9,500 CAD, whereas the minimum amount for a single person is 12,300 CAD. Could this be a problem for me? I have heard that you can be denied entry right there due to proof of funds issues. Will they actually check if it's up to 12,300 CAD?

I don't think they expect anyone to have that much cash on hand. I was asked how much i had and i said what i put on my form. I wasn't asked for proof.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 8:16am On Nov 12, 2017
TEECANN:

Good day bro.

I'm curious because a friend in Canada told me that if I can get Letter of Good Conduct from FRSC before coming over to Canny, it may help me to get some elementary parts of Canadian drivers license process waived...

Go through Ballerz posts and get how it can be helpful. Can't remember the exact one. Once I get it, I will paste the link.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:39am On Nov 12, 2017
TEECANN:

Good day bro.

Read the following posts:

https://www.nairaland.com/3617393/living-canada-life-canadian-immigrant/41#58999917

https://www.nairaland.com/3617393/living-canada-life-canadian-immigrant/42#59017961

https://www.nairaland.com/3617393/living-canada-life-canadian-immigrant/42#59029056

https://www.nairaland.com/3617393/living-canada-life-canadian-immigrant/42#59029137

https://www.nairaland.com/3617393/living-canada-life-canadian-immigrant/42#59029181

16 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amyames: 10:27am On Nov 12, 2017
AZeD1:

I don't think they expect anyone to have that much cash on hand. I was asked how much i had and i said what i put on my form. I wasn't asked for proof.

Hi. Thanks for your response. But i don’t mean cash per se. Just what money you’re bringing in, whether in form of bank draft, cash, or in a bank statement.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by alt3r3g0: 11:39am On Nov 12, 2017
amyames:

Hi. Thanks for your response. But i don’t mean cash per se. Just what money you’re bringing in, whether in form of bank draft, cash, or in a bank statement.

We were not asked and i'm yet to see anyone that has been asked for proof of funds. Only question they ask which is the same everywhere is how much cash you have on you. If its over 10,000 you may be asked to show it.

Some are told to print bank statement and declare all your life savings to show you are as capable as Banky W. I was told same but after i read the form, collected a second one and limited amount to only cash.

We only declared cash on hand which was about 7 times less than proof of funds submitted to IRCC and did not print any bank statement as back up (was like worst case scenerio, will show them internet banking but that never happened).

Anyone who was asked can shed more light.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olajide21: 12:35pm On Nov 12, 2017
We would love to listen to more landing experiences..... SoD and SoA experiences including immigrations and customs...!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amyames: 1:35pm On Nov 12, 2017
alt3r3g0:

We were not asked and i'm yet to see anyone that has been asked for proof of funds. Only question they ask which is the same everywhere is how much cash you have on you. If its over 10,000 you may be asked to show it.

Some are told to print bank statement and declare all your live savings to show you are as capable as Banky W. I was told same but after i read the form, collected a second one and limited amount to only cash.

We only declared cash on hand which was about 7 times less than proof of funds submitted to IRCC and did not print any bank statement as back up (was like worst case scenerio, will show them internet banking but that never happened).

Anyone who was asked can shed more light.

Thanks alterego.

Lol at Banky W! I pray i also get a lax agent to screen me. Most people seem to have your experience too. I’ve only read about this issue in a couple of forums. Hopefully I don’t have to go borrowing to make it up.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 3:27pm On Nov 12, 2017
What should I do to get the "Canadian experience" after becoming a PR?
Answered Sep 26 by Connel Valentine, lives in Canada (2015-present)

There are a couple of opportunities for you to gain Canadian experience. I’m going to highlight the top three below:

Regulated Industries

Firstly, let’s discuss the most important point of Canadian experience - regulated industries. If the industry you are seeking to work in is Accounting, Teaching, Medical, Engineering, Architecture and whole list of others you can see from the link, you need to obtain the qualifications required to practice these industries in Canada.

Canada has several [url="http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/working/OI_HOW_WORK_PROF_PROFS.html"]bridging programs[/url] hosted by educational institutes all over Canada. It’s best you get bridged as soon as possible. Completing any local education courses is also viewed as Canadian experience in the eyes of the hiring manager, according to the survey conducted by OHRC.

To be blunt, it doesn’t matter if you’ve practiced in your industry for several years or decades. Your experience will not overwrite the law. These regulations are in place for a reason. Malpractice in these highly sensitive industries can lead to lawsuits, and hiring managers are aware of this.

So hop on board these programs as soon as you can.

Internships from local services

My cousin is an accountant. As a new immigrant she did not start working straight away as she had to care for her child for two years. Once she was ready to go back, she was facing the “Canadian Experience” problem.

She did the smart thing. She signed up for a free bridging program at [url="http://www.costi.org/"]COSTI[/url], where they taught her about Canadian workplace culture, local accounting principals and technical knowledge on the most commonly used accounting software in Canada.

At the end of her course, she was placed on an internship program with a reputed logistics company in Canada. She worked hard, even though she was not getting paid. At the end of her 3 month internship, they asked her to stay back and offered her a full time job.

There are many other government services like COSTI. Another well-known one is [url="https://www.careeredge.ca/"]CareerEdge[/url] and [url="http://www.npower.org/our-locations/toronto.aspx"]NPower[/url].

Don’t assume that just because these places are free it does not have quality. In Canada, I believe tax dollars are spent well and the quality of these free institutes is a merit towards that statement.

They have tie ups with extremely well reputed companies all over Canada, and they want to maintain a professional image by creating good quality candidates from their programs. Gain Canadian experience from these places.

Volunteering

Volunteering is practiced by almost every Canadian I know. People are willing to give their services for free and that’s part of culture and the reason this makes Canada a great place to live.

Volunteering, in the job search industry, is one of the most underestimated components of your professional experience. In Canada, volunteering is seen in a professional light.

And the best part is that it’s easily available. No one should refuse your services as long as the opportunity is available. Volunteering is seen as Canadian experience because you are interacting with other Canadians, working with volunteer organizers in a professional manner.

It also provides you a means of filling any time gaps in your resume if you’re going to be out of work for a while as you pursue local education.

My uncle recently moved to Canada and he’s close to retirement age. He started volunteering for his church and eventually, they offered him a job as the Church’s administrator.

Volunteering also gives you an opportunity to meet other people and form professional relationships with them. If they have a job opportunity in time, they will think of you.

Check out opportunities for volunteering [url="https://volunteer.ca/"]here[/url] or just Google volunteering opportunities around your community.

….and many more

The Canadian experience barrier has certainly been a problem for many people, and I have taken on and researched this topic in detail. I have given several options on how you can get more Canadian experience on my blog [url="http://www.zero2hired.com/blog/5-easy-tips-on-how-to-get-canadian-experience"]here.[/url]

What do hiring managers mean when they ask for “Canadian Experience”? What can you do to get it? You can check out the answers on my [url="http://www.zero2hired.com/blog/5-easy-tips-on-how-to-get-canadian-experience"]blog[/url].

If you’d like to know how to network with people you meet in Canada at volunteering events for example you can check out this blog [url="http://www.zero2hired.com/blog/how-to-land-a-job-offer-before-you-land-on-the-ground"]here[/url]

src: https://www.quora.com/What-should-I-do-to-get-the-Canadian-experience-after-becoming-a-PR

45 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 3:53pm On Nov 12, 2017
Thanks GlitteringStar. Can always count on you.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by themaestro212: 11:52am On Nov 13, 2017
Virt:
Hi All,

Please how does past visa refusal from any country affect the timeline of processing one's PR application. A survey was done on some applicants that are delayed at the NA2 stage and most of them had one visa refusal or the other and indicated same in their application. Some of them have been on the same stage for 2 to 4 weeks and counting while their counterparts and those who applied after them have long received PPR. Their applications are still at CIO, Sydney and not yet assigned to any local visa office.

Please any experience of those who successfully got PPR with a visa refusal which they indicated in their application and what was their timeline like?

I appreciate your responses.

This question should be at the FSW/EE Thread but anyways...

I don't think this should significantly affect the speed of processing times. Understanding what goes on at the Central Intake Office and the CPCs, from what I have read, they can decide to gather more information about your visa refusal if they feel it raises any questions as regards criminality, inadmissibility or security concerns. This may lengthen the processing time of your application. Also people from certain countries (Afghanistan, Pakistan etc) may undergo more scrutiny than others.

A visa refusal from another country because you did not have sufficient funds or did not submit all required documentation etc will probably not call for many more additional checks and may therefore not increase the processing time. These guys have a databases where they can pull up visa approvals or refusals from other close countries like the UK and US and verify reasons for the refusal.

I think what gets people stuck at NA2 is the transfer of files from the CIO to the Visa Offices. After NA2, your files are transferred to a visa office where the visa officer reviews the agent's (CIO) recommendations. Sometimes, the work load at the visa offices is heavy and it takes a while to treat.

I hope this answers your question.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Virt: 12:42pm On Nov 13, 2017
Thanks a lot for your response.

I posted it here because I believe most members here would have successfully gone through the process and therefore have the relevant experience.

Your explanation is very informative. God bless.

themaestro212:

This question should be at the FSW/EE Thread but anyways...

I don't think this should significantly affect the speed of processing times. Understanding what goes on at the Central Intake Office and the CPCs, from what I have read, they can decide to gather more information about your visa refusal if they feel it raises any questions as regards criminality, inadmissibility or security concerns. This may lengthen the processing time of your application. Also people from certain countries (Afghanistan, Pakistan etc) may undergo more scrutiny than others.

A visa refusal from another country because you did not have sufficient funds or did not submit all required documentation etc will probably not call for many more additional checks and may therefore not increase the processing time. These guys have a databases where they can pull up visa approvals or refusals from other close countries like the UK and US and verify reasons for the refusal.

I think what gets people stuck at NA2 is the transfer of files from the CIO to the Visa Offices. After NA2, your files are transferred to a visa office where the visa officer reviews the agent's (CIO) recommendations. Sometimes, the work load at the visa offices is heavy and it takes a while to treat.

I hope this answers your question.

(1) (2) (3) ... (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.