Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:51 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (140) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980562 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Noviolence: 7:49pm On Nov 16, 2017
Yea!It's another party time to a fellow Londoner!
Congratulations!
Ajujuju2:
Oya oooo!!!!!!!!!
Gather round, come follow me praise God.
Jehova unchanging...Awimayeun...Okwerenkwa me ya! Alagbada ina...Chineke ana-agbanweghi agbanwe! Chai his praise is all i have.

Express Entry Awareness Oct 2014
IELTS Sept 2015
ITA1 Jan 2017 (rejected for FBI PCC)
ITA2 Mar 2017
AOR June 16
MP Jul 11
NA2 Jul 25
FTD Aug 25
IP2/ADR Nov 8
PPR Nov 15

This journey has taken three years in planning and execution. In all Baba God was in charge.

@yokus @deeore @Mrsbee oya oo. Share your testimonies #TeamLondon
@onlineise, @mummyjaygirls @slowlybutsurely @merrymum ...i'm right behind you o!
Forgive me if i left anyone out.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 9:53pm On Nov 16, 2017
dfanz:

I am trying to make this same decision, Calgary vs GTA. Landed seniors please assist with pros and cons of both locations.

What's your goal and objective in Canada.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 10:00pm On Nov 16, 2017
You should be able to raise a draft (an international one, issued by Diamond Bank's correspondence banki.e citibank). You will be able to deposit the draft in a bank in Canada. quote author=amyames post=62296334]Hi everyone!

Great thread, very informative. I have a few questions regarding proof of funds.

1. I know they sometimes ask for this at the port of entry, but do they actually check the amount, that it meets their minimum? For instance, I had to dip into my savings and it's now about 9,500 CAD, whereas the minimum amount for a single person is 12,300 CAD. Could this be a problem for me? I have heard that you can be denied entry right there due to proof of funds issues. Will they actually check if it's up to 12,300 CAD?

2. How to transport these funds? I've looked into opening a Canadian account from here, but the process is tedious and involves getting a lawyer to verify my documents. I want something simpler like using a bank draft in my name - has this worked for anyone? Diamondbank is really giving me hell these days and I'm nervous about trusting their services, especially since I won't be here to deal directly if it there's a glitch.

Please share your experience on this. I'll be much obliged. Thanks.[/quote]

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dfanz: 10:54pm On Nov 16, 2017
maternal:

What's your goal and objective in Canada.

My work experience has been in financial services but I plan on changing careers kinda like go with the flow of things.
My immediate goal is to get a job to support myself (without bias to my previous experience) while I work on additional qualifications.
My main considerations are cost of living and ease of settlement.
From my research it appears GTA has more immigrant serving organizations and job opportunities than Calgary but somehow Calgary just keeps calling my name. I'm so undecided. I plan to land in January.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 11:13pm On Nov 16, 2017
yokus:
Yes o. Amazing God. AMEN O.

Now i have to finally decide Calgary V Mississauga. Whew!

Calgary, Calgary, Calgary or even better is Edmonton grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 2:34am On Nov 17, 2017
Canadianfly:

In Manitoba, if you present a Nigerian license, you also have to present a Letter of Authenticity from the Nigerian Embassy in Ottawa stating that that license is authentic. Atleast as of 2015 I know of.
If you have the new license you don't need a letter. I did mine in 2014.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amyames: 8:09am On Nov 17, 2017
Owols:
You should be able to raise a draft (an international one, issued by Diamond Bank's correspondence banki.e citibank). You will be able to deposit the draft in a bank in Canada. quote author=amyames post=62296334]Hi everyone!

Great thread, very informative. I have a few questions regarding proof of funds.

1. I know they sometimes ask for this at the port of entry, but do they actually check the amount, that it meets their minimum? For instance, I had to dip into my savings and it's now about 9,500 CAD, whereas the minimum amount for a single person is 12,300 CAD. Could this be a problem for me? I have heard that you can be denied entry right there due to proof of funds issues. Will they actually check if it's up to 12,300 CAD?

2. How to transport these funds? I've looked into opening a Canadian account from here, but the process is tedious and involves getting a lawyer to verify my documents. I want something simpler like using a bank draft in my name - has this worked for anyone? Diamondbank is really giving me hell these days and I'm nervous about trusting their services, especially since I won't be here to deal directly if it there's a glitch.

Please share your experience on this. I'll be much obliged. Thanks.

Thanks Owols. But I actually just confirmed from Diamondbank and they said they don’t issue bank drafts outside the country. They don’t do travelers cheques either, which is similar.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:36am On Nov 17, 2017
I have sent you a pm. I will do some research on it and get back to you.
amyames:

Thanks Owols. But I actually just confirmed from Diamondbank and they said they don’t issue bank drafts outside the country. They don’t do travelers cheques either, which is similar.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by val4o: 9:07am On Nov 17, 2017
Blackbuddy:

If you are applying for skilled worker PR, you can only use your own account, that of your spouse or a joint account with your spouse. You can not use the account statement of any other family member to complete a skilled worker application for PR.

If you are applying for a student visa, then that is another ball game where you may need to show a sponsor's account statement accordingly. I can't help with this as you will need guidance from someone who understands how the student visa application process works. Please clarify your position so the house can assist you appropriately.

Am not going as a skilled worker am applying for student TRV. That's where my focus is on
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Feygbe: 9:37am On Nov 17, 2017
dfanz:

My work experience has been in financial services but I plan on changing careers kinda like go with the flow of things.
My immediate goal is to get a job to support myself (without bias to my previous experience) while I work on additional qualifications.
From my research it appears GTA has more immigrant serving organizations and job opportunities than Calgary but somehow Calgary just keeps calling my name. I'm so undecided. I plan to land in January.
So many cities are calling my name too grin It is truly a dilemma.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 10:02am On Nov 17, 2017
val4o:

Am not going as a skilled worker am applying for student TRV. That's where my focus is on
You should join the canadian study thread, use the search option.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ItsYourFriend: 11:27am On Nov 17, 2017
Where are our landed seniors? I so much love coming to Living in Canada thread to read and draw experience from our landed immigrants but it seems they are now faced with reality. Please I'd like to understand what's taking your time and making it almost impossible for you guys to come on here and drive your discussions as usual. Could getting a job be the issue, or accommodation, are commodities and other life necessities expensive in Canada which most certainly would take a toll on your proof of fund or are things not just working out as expected? Please get on here and share your experience.

19 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yokus(f): 11:48am On Nov 17, 2017
Huge one oooo!
@MummyJaygirls lol- my minds telling me No(Calgary) but my body is telling me Yes (Mississauga)
In R. Kellys's voice. Just want somewhere that is Cool, not to loud, not to busy, where there are great opportunities and where my girls n I will easily adapt.
I don't know if i would want to continue with Law or start over by getting a Diploma in something

Feygbe:

So many cities are calling my name too grin It is truly a dilemma.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 1:11pm On Nov 17, 2017
Ajujuju2:
Oya oooo!!!!!!!!!
Gather round, come follow me praise God.
Jehova unchanging...Awimayeun...Okwerenkwa me ya! Alagbada ina...Chineke ana-agbanweghi agbanwe! Chai his praise is all i have.

Express Entry Awareness Oct 2014
IELTS Sept 2015
ITA1 Jan 2017 (rejected for FBI PCC)
ITA2 Mar 2017
AOR June 16
MP Jul 11
NA2 Jul 25
FTD Aug 25
IP2/ADR Nov 8
PPR Nov 15

This journey has taken three years in planning and execution. In all Baba God was in charge.

@yokus @deeore @Mrsbee oya oo. Share your testimonies #TeamLondon.
@onlineise, @mummyjaygirls @slowlybutsurely @merrymum ...i'm right behind you o!
Forgive me if i left anyone out.

Congratulations!
P.S. please if you've sent me a dm kindly ask your questions here and mention me. I'm on the Mediterranean sea and I'm offline half of the time.

xx
Congratulations to my dear sis! @yokus

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 4:02pm On Nov 17, 2017
dfanz:

I was going to say Toronto, but since you don't care about being in the financial services, then yes Alberta would be better. While I like Calgary, I would go further North to the city of Edmonton. I feel there are more jobs, especially gov't jobs, and it's just a few hours north to the oilfields in case you want to work in that industry. Rent and cost of living is very cheap in Edmonton. Alberta is now the fastest growing province in the country. A lot of immigrants (Nigerians) are now coming to the province. I've ran into a lot of Nigerian Ontario ex pats. Basically Naija people who settled in Toronto and had to leave because they couldn't make ends meet. I was one of them lol. But now I'm back east as I've secure a federal gov't job. That was the only way I was going to return. They're investing billions in downtown Edmonton on a revitalization project, so a lot of construction jobs are available. Also public safety jobs are plenty, such as the Edmonton police and correction Alberta are recruiting heavily. As a police in 3 years you'd be making 92k dollars per year easily, or as a correctional worker 70k dollars easily. Never seen a naija person regret coming out west. Check the links below.

www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-recent-immigrants-2016-census-data-1.4370779

https://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/occupations-in-alberta/occupation-profiles/correctional-peace-officer/

http://www.joineps.ca/WhyEPS/Salary.aspx

32 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 6:18pm On Nov 17, 2017

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yokus(f): 6:54pm On Nov 17, 2017
How easy is it to get a govt job and do u have to be a citizen to get it? Can you tell us more about it.
maternal:

But now I'm back east as I've secure a federal gov't job. That was the only way I was going to return. They're investing billions in downtown Edmonton on a revitalization project, so a lot of construction jobs are available. Also public safety jobs are plenty, such as the Edmonton police and correction Alberta are recruiting heavily. As a police in 3 years you'd be making 92k dollars per year easily, or as a correctional worker 70k dollars easily. Never seen a naija person regret coming out west. Check the links below.

www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-recent-immigrants-2016-census-data-1.4370779

https://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/occupations-in-alberta/occupation-profiles/correctional-peace-officer/

http://www.joineps.ca/WhyEPS/Salary.aspx

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 7:16pm On Nov 17, 2017
yokus:
How easy is it to get a govt job and do u have to be a citizen to get it? Can you tell us more about it.

The RCMP (federal police) are now hiring PR's. Though you'd have to be living in Canada for at least 10 years or more. I know people who got hired by the Ottawa police and they were only PR. Certain high security jobs are only for citizens and a citizen would get preference over a PR, which is understandable. But there are a lot of gov't jobs which just requires the applicant to be a PR. Don't be discouraged if you're just a PR. If you're eligible to apply, apply.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Topboyz5: 7:18pm On Nov 17, 2017
freeradical:
Does anyone know any good contact from the Nigerian high commission in Ottawa, I need help with passports urgently

Can't you just walk in and get passport? Must you need to know contact again?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 8:20pm On Nov 17, 2017
Topboyz5:

Can't you just walk in and get passport? Must you need to know contact again?

You're right, you don't really need a contact to get a passport/renewal at Ottawa smiley

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 8:53pm On Nov 17, 2017
DatechMan:

I believed such jobs are for citizens.

InOtherNews
Got approval today, still waiting for PUM.
I think Barrie, ON is the destination.

Bless you all
I have seen more Nigerian graduates of Canadian unis and colleges i.e (work permit holders), than Nigerian PR holders working in highly sought after government jobs. The edge I believe is the Canadian education.

If they employ people without PR in gov positions, then nothing will stop them from employing a PR if you have the desired qualifications.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ajujuju2: 11:11pm On Nov 17, 2017
Noviolence:
Yea!It's another party time to a fellow Londoner!
Congratulations!

Thnxxx
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 5:15am On Nov 18, 2017
Hello house,
On the issue of driver's license. My license was issued in 02/2016. That means my driving experience would be less 2 years.
Prior to getting this new license, I used to have the old license. It has since been trashed because it expired long before I got the new one.
I need a way out because many job ads in my field require Driving License. How can I sort this so as to avoid License wait period?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by freeradical(m): 7:24am On Nov 18, 2017
Blackbuddy:

You're right, you don't really need a contact to get a passport/renewal at Ottawa smiley
Means I have to go to Ottawa right? Do they have any arrangements where they come down to the provinces for biometrics. I really want to avoid having to travel
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Saintp(m): 9:29am On Nov 18, 2017
DatechMan:
Hello house,
On the issue of driver's license. My license was issued in 02/2016. That means my driving experience would be less 2 years.
Prior to getting this new license, I used to have the old license. It has since been trashed because it expired long before I got the new one.
I need a way out because many job ads in my field require Driving License. How can I sort this so as to avoid License wait period?

I thought all drivers license will have date of first issue. Check the new license well, they date of first issue should be written on it.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sleekchic(f): 9:52am On Nov 18, 2017
That's correct, I just checked mine, the date of first issue is there. I hadn't noticed.

Saintp:

I thought all drivers license will have date of first issue. Check the new license well, they date of first issue should be written on it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Morbolar: 10:43am On Nov 18, 2017
amyames:

Hi. Pls go to GTBank at Oyin Jolayemi or any branch and tell them you need Canadian Dollar Draft. You are however expected to have a USD account from which the CAD draft wud be raised. Cheers

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jonababa: 12:01pm On Nov 18, 2017
Blackbuddy:

This was after numerous earlier disappointments at other places but you have to approach this like applying for a job or going for interview. Some won't work out but one surely will so don't take it personal but keep moving. I agree wholeheartedly, you can make it!

Pls how long did this search take? We dont a place for long stay in Canada when we land.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Igbouwanile(m): 3:06pm On Nov 18, 2017
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 3:28pm On Nov 18, 2017
Igbouwanile:
Good day Friends

Pls I will be flying soon, I want to ask, for one using say Maroc/Egypt/Ethiopian Air how is luggage checking in process like in 9ja airport, what qty of garri & beans can I carry, after checking the luggages at the airport here in 9ja is there a place the will get to & transload, Or is it that same plane that conveys everything to Canada.. Pls any1 with luggage process info shud help explain to me. Thanks

For Maroc, you will get your load at Montreal and board another plane to your final destination. If Ottawa is your destination, i would suggest you book Maroc to Montreal and take a bus from the Airport to Ottawa. There's a bus from 00:20 to Ottawa and it cost about 32CAD.

As for the food stuff, you can pack as much as you want as long as your load is over weight. My bag wasn't opened at any point on my journey.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Igbouwanile(m): 4:21pm On Nov 18, 2017
AZeD1:

For Maroc, you will get your load at Montreal and board another plane to your final destination. If Ottawa is your destination, i would suggest you book Maroc to Montreal and take a bus from the Airport to Ottawa. There's a bus from 00:20 to Ottawa and it cost about 32CAD.

As for the food stuff, you can pack as much as you want as long as your load is over weight. My bag wasn't opened at any point on my journey.
Okay, I will be heading to NB, what can u say about that?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 4:25pm On Nov 18, 2017
Igbouwanile:

Okay, I will be heading to Fredericton, what can u say about that & hw is check in like here in Nigerian airport.. pls explain what u mean by the bolded?
wow! would be glad if my own bag isn't opened.

Thanks.

I meant to say NOT over weight. The Nigerian airport was normal. Maroc lives by 6- 6:30 am so you'll have to be at the airport by 4am and the airport is not really busy at that time.

I don't think they still do manual checking at Nigerian airports again.

I have no idea about Fredericton.

(1) (2) (3) ... (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.