Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,704 members, 7,809,676 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:56 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (152) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980372 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by follyzee: 11:13am On Dec 08, 2017
Hi

Pls are you saying u still went to ur University to get transcript and also got WES to send to them?

Is there an extra cost from wes?

If yes, how much?

I'm in the process that's why I'm asking,

Thanks

rainazoe:
I wish I knew this earlier. Going thru Ontario means I have to start the process of transcripts or Wes over again.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Macjazzy: 11:57am On Dec 08, 2017
Dear @maziude i am still waiting on your response sir. i want to make some enquires about the department and research. thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:17pm On Dec 08, 2017
TEECANN:
@Blackbuddy,

Bro, I sent an email to you based on the last correspondence.

I dont know whether you 've got it cos I have not seen your reply.

Regards.

It's surely all ending in praise IJN!

Hi, I just checked my email inbox but there's no current email from you. Perhaps it's in your outbox? Please reconfirm.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:19pm On Dec 08, 2017
Ambidextrause:

Hello bros @Blackbuddy, I sent you a PM.
Please it's urgent.

Hi, I just responded. Please follow up on that plan immediately.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 2:38pm On Dec 08, 2017
Ayoboy1:
WES accepts Statement of Result. I have not seen my Bachelors Certificate since I left school just my statement of result.

hey guys, my wife only has a statement of result from her school NAU, Awka. she recently called the school to confirm if her certificate i ready and after the school official asked her the year she graduated(2009) her course of study, faculty and a bunch of other questions, the lady simply said,"are you sure the cerificate is even ready yet?" .This is the school's official who doesnt think that a BSC cert since 2009 is ready.anyway, that is a story for another day. I will just like to know if my wife can use her statement of result to work in Canada. We are due to arrive in April and i'm asking so i know whether to save the money it will cost to send my wife to Awka to personaaly hunt down the certificate.

All the seniors in the house...what's your experience with this issue? I look forward to your responses

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 2:52pm On Dec 08, 2017
Macjazzy:
Dear @maziude i am still waiting on your response sir. i want to make some enquires about the department and research. thanks

Sorry boss.
We are tied down with exams as such I might not be giving you the response you require.

I would suggest you post your questions here, so others can help out or learn from the answers.

If you already have your TRV, then you must have been admitted. Just get yourself here and face the dance.

One quick note: The book and research no be beans...Ready yourself.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 3:02pm On Dec 08, 2017
kay2011:

Hi,
Sorry it's coming late. Could you kindly add me to the WhatsApp group.

Thank you.

hi folks...please add me too to the whatsapp group.i'm landing in april,
. thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 3:04pm On Dec 08, 2017
staronthemoon:
Hello Everyone.

I recently just found this thread. I have lived in BC, Manitoba and Ontario so if you have any questions relating to those provinces, I may be able to answer them.

Hi Staronthemoon.
Do you currently reside in Ontario? i.e toronto?

thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 3:07pm On Dec 08, 2017
Mire222:

I was having the same challenge (see in my posts) until I decided to look at airbnb .didn't look there previously because my better half is adamant that we get our place before we land for convinience sake. Guess what, lots of beautiful options to choose from , it's furnished too and for a fair price . With what I have seen so far, Im confident there will be lots of wonderful places to choose from to rent . I guess the real estate websites are not just enough.

Hi Mire222.

Are you planning on renting fromAirbnb? i mean for long term...cos i thot they mostly do short term...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:25pm On Dec 08, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:
^^^ I don't even know why I'm reeling with laughter at your narrative. cheesy

I'm sorry dude. No advice from me. cheesy
it shows the pain some of us in regulated professions have to go through. Crossing from one province to another to work is even wahala, and to think that the population of the country is just over 36million. If my wife was to move to the next neigbouring province to practice, the next province would also demand a yearly $2k fee.

@accountant op, welcome to Canada in advance grin
My advice would be that whatever you do either sask or ontario, do it fast...regulatory exams are becoming harder and getting more expensive...
If you get your qualifications in Sask, you would be sble to use it to work in a different province in the future once you pay the annual practice fee to whatever province you move to. You might also want to check if you would need to log practice hours in your initial province before you can move to another.

TEECANN:

Though I am still on the PR process. Around July, I initiated and got approval from CPA Ontario for the Internationally Trained Accountant (ITA) route after about some 8 weeks using my ICAN- ACA status.

I got ICAN to give me my ATS and ACA transcripts, Letter of Good Standing, I packaged my MBA transcript, filled the relevant CPA forms and the painful part grin, I had to part with 480 CAD processing fee and DHL courier fees (man eye don see enuf in this PR hustle grin grin). I spent almost 250k all in all (including ICAN fees and outstanding ICAN-ATS dues)

The sorry part now is that when my approval came from CPA Ontario, they said, quoting their mail:

"Your application to register as a student under Accounting Body Outside Canada has been approved. You will be receiving a student confirmation letter once available, however below lists your admission to membership requirements:

- Challenge the examinations of Core 1 and Core 2 Modules;

- Challenge the examinations of two Elective Modules;

- Capstone 1 module;

- Capstone 2 module;

- Common Final Exam (CFE);

- Prescribed Practical Experience (PPE)

Can you imagine, cry cry after almost 10 years of ACA status and finance work, I will have to write THAT MUCH as above.

(But from what I have been reading here, it seems something is not right about the number of papers I was approved to take (as an Internationally Trained Accountant); It is quite much as if I'm starting from the scratch! grin

To even think I may not been landing in Ontario as I had earlier planned as a FSW is now throwing another curve ball into an already complex matter (I feel like knocking myself, the whole fees and costs)

I'm currently going through as a Sask PNP and I thought of transferring my CPA Ontario application file to CPA Saskatchewan but CPA Sask said I will have to pay all the fees with them all over too. grin grin I don seeee weeenn!

I'm about to withdraw my studentship now as I cant keep paying 600 CAD annual studentship dues when I have not even landed. They ve even sent me a mail (of course bulk mail) whether I want to avail myself of an "early bird" subscription payment for 2018 grin grin 600 CAD for 2018!

@all my brodas and sistas, abeg, see me see matter needing multiple analysis here o! kindly weigh in! grin

- Should I withdraw my studentship? (i may still come to work in Ontario years later)
- Are the papers approved for me to write in order as an ACA?
-Can I write CPA Ontario to pause my studentship pending when I land as PR to Canada and start earning CAD?

It will surely all end in praise IJN!!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CAstruggle(m): 4:20pm On Dec 08, 2017
kachikapor:

hey guys, my wife only has a statement of result from her school NAU, Awka. she recently called the school to confirm if her certificate i ready and after the school official asked her the year she graduated(2009) her course of study, faculty and a bunch of other questions, the lady simply said,"are you sure the cerificate is even ready yet?" .This is the school's official who doesnt think that a BSC cert since 2009 is ready.anyway, that is a story for another day. I will just like to know if my wife can use her statement of result to work in Canada. We are due to arrive in April and i'm asking so i know whether to save the money it will cost to send my wife to Awka to personaaly hunt down the certificate.

All the seniors in the house...what's your experience with this issue? I look forward to your responses

Thanks

Bro, if you want your certificate simply apply. Your wife's certificate would never be ready. I finished from UNIZIK in 2014 and i collected my certificate earlier this year. It took me only a week to get mine, i had to pressure them. If you have someone in Awka the person can help you initiate the process while you travel to just pick it up.

Cheers
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 4:46pm On Dec 08, 2017
czaratwork:
I got Airbnb short stay for one week and before the one week expired i signed up residency contract with the landlady so i didnt need to look for accomodation.

Hi czaratwork...

You just cleared my doubts. i had been wondering if it was possible to take out a lease on the same airbnb apartment we land in for a longer stay. Thanks for clearing that up. If you dont mind...please what part of Canada's the airbnb?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by nkigirl: 5:58pm On Dec 08, 2017
Hello everyone. For those who have kids, how did they adapt to the school system? It's a different curriculum, friends, way of teaching etc. My kids are 7 and 4 and I am a little worried. I feel I need to prep them somehow.

I would also like to know about private schools/catholic schools and public schools. I know the canadian school system is generally good. But considering the Nigerian system we come from, are the private or catholic schools better than public in terms of education, morality, discipline etc?

Also, if you live in Calgary, what are the good elementary schools either private, public or catholic that you can recommend. I looked at the Simon Fraser ranking but it's not very clear.

If you have anything else to add, I would appreciate.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 6:29pm On Dec 08, 2017
kachikapor:

Thanks

You can use her statement of result for the EE process, however, this is the wrong thread, ask further questions here

https://www.nairaland.com/4212543/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled/31#63099719
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 6:52pm On Dec 08, 2017
I came across your profile in our database, and was wondering if you or anyone in your network would be interested in the following role. Referrals would be greatly appreciated.

Our client in Mississauga in the Transportation Industry is looking for an HR Generalist. The successful candidate must have a minimum of 3 years’ experience in a Human Resources role and must have or be nearly completed their CHRP Designation. The salary for this role is $45,000-$50,000.

Requirements:

• Minimum of 3 year's full-cycle Human Resources experience
• Must have a Bachelor Degree in Human Resources Management
• Must have or be almost completed CHRP Designation
• Must be detailed oriented and have exceptional organizational skills
• Exceptional communication skills and interpersonal skills
• Expert Excel skills
• Ability to effectively handle pressure and work well in a fast paced environment
• Answer telephone in professional manner and good problem solving skills

Eligible candidates please send your resume to brittany@wysdomconsulting.com and quote “HR Generalist-Mississauga” in the subject line.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 6:55pm On Dec 08, 2017
kachikapor:

Hi czaratwork...

You just cleared my doubts. i had been wondering if it was possible to take out a lease on the same airbnb apartment we land in for a longer stay. Thanks for clearing that up. If you dont mind...please what part of Canada's the airbnb?

Airbnb is nationwide. Depending on where you want to settle. They are online.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by nkigirl: 7:14pm On Dec 08, 2017
czaratwork:
I came across your profile in our database, and was wondering if you or anyone in your network would be interested in the following role. Referrals would be greatly appreciated.

Our client in Mississauga in the Transportation Industry is looking for an HR Generalist. The successful candidate must have a minimum of 3 years’ experience in a Human Resources role and must have .

This has my name written all over it.
These people should give me PPR ooo

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Gereal: 8:43pm On Dec 08, 2017
steffanym:
Hi Gereal Please how did you get your wife's transcript from uniben? How much did it cost and how long did it take. I would really appreciate if you respond. Thanks.

Just seeing this. First am a lady. Took about 3 months. That's because I used Etx and they delayed for 6 weeks without doing anything. Had to pursue the transcript my self. Pm me so I send you a contacts number in UNIBEN
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by henryhemon(m): 9:35pm On Dec 08, 2017
salford1:

it shows the pain some of us in regulated professions have to go through. Crossing from one province to another to work is even wahala, and to think that the population of the country is just over 36million. If my wife was to move to the next neigbouring province to practice, the next province would also demand a yearly $2k fee.

@accountant op, welcome to Canada in advance grin
My advice would be that whatever you do either sask or ontario, do it fast...regulatory exams are becoming harder and getting more expensive...
If you get your qualifications in Sask, you would be sble to use it to work in a different province in the future once you pay the annual practice fee to whatever province you move to. You might also want to check if you would need to log practice hours in your initial province before you can move to another.

My eye don clear,So na scam David Cohen dey scam me if after all these hussle you went through you can't still get PR,my level never reach this your own. Guy man just d collect money d tell me say I go get PR.

Guys which province will be easiest to get a provincial nominee from?? What can one do to get a PR??
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by henryhemon(m): 9:36pm On Dec 08, 2017
nkigirl:

This has my name written all over it.
These people should give me PPR ooo

That experience from Nigeria doesn't count over there.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by henryhemon(m): 9:44pm On Dec 08, 2017
Blackbuddy:

There are some stay at/work from home job opportunities through Sykes Recruiting for roles that have to do with customer care/online support. Register and find out more here, https://alpineaccessjobs.ca/recruiting/reg/login/

Hi buddy,

You have an email I can get through to you with??

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 10:36pm On Dec 08, 2017
henryhemon:

That experience from Nigeria doesn't count over there.

I wonder where you got this info from?

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 12:03am On Dec 09, 2017
Hi y'all. Please I need to renew my Nigerian passport. I know I'll have to fill the app online and then go to Ottawa but does anyone know the turn around time? Would I get it the same day or would they send it to me? Would I need an agent to expedite the process? Cc: @blackbuddy, maternal et al
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 12:19am On Dec 09, 2017
DrOBD:

This your response was why I dropped my email address earlier.

I am a newbie here (on this thread), a complete novice. I just started thinking of Canada a few weeks ago. I have a great job here, I work with an international NGO and earn well. My wife is also a doctor and works with an NGO as well. My interest is in public health and would love to continue my public health career wherever I relocate to. I have two kids(B3y and G1y), both of them are American citizens (thanks to Nairaland)
Sorry for the epistle, just wanted to introduce myself.
I have the following concerns:
1. For IMGs, are there public health opportunities for IMGs without a Canadian masters. Did my postgraduate here in Naija. [font=Lucida Sans Unic[b]ode]Without a Canadian public health qualification, I am unaware of any opportunities you can access. So you'll work towards a msc pub health or mph or try to match a pub health residency[/b][/font]
2. Is it advisable to evaluate Both my postgraduate and undergraduate degree For docs we MUST evaluate our mbbs with mcc. No need to evaluate your post grad[/font]
3. Is there any advantage for IMGs with fellowship from their home country [font=Lucida Sans Unicode]Well, from Nigeria, with a family medicine fellowship or a fellowship from a residency or at least 2 yrs of a residency with 24 months rotation in internal medicine, family medicine, surgery, paeds, obsgyn, psychiatry and pub health it may be advantageous for a PRA. Fellowship from the Uk, US, Ireland, Australia, new zealand and I think SA get their license to practice here without hassle. Google practice readiness assessment in Canada for more accurate details.

4. What is the total cost like for IMGs from start to finish i don't think anyone can give you this. It all depends on what exactly you are applying for.
5. Does the number of years post medical school count, does it matter. What are the chances of IMGs with over 7 years post graduation. it doesn't really matter. If you intend to apply for a PRA they'll want your recency of practice ( i.e. you shouldn't have been out of clinical practice for more than 3yrs prior to your application and acceptance into the PRA prog) to be 3yrs or less. Some people have had to go back to Nigeria to practice for about 6 months-1yr prior to applying or being accepted into a PRA just to meet this requirement
6. My wife (and maybe me) would love to take the qualifying exams. Is it advisable to take the exams from here or wait till after one relocates. [font=Lucida Sans Unicode[b]]I wouldn't advice anyone to take the mcc exams outside Canada if possible.pass rates are higherif you take them while in Canada because you can join an img study group snd access more info snd materials. Also the rules changed recently so the mccee exam which y'all may have been eligible to take outside Canada prior to landing is now being phased away within the next few months and exam requirements for matching and pra are changing. Google mccevolution.c[/b]a[/font]
7. Heard Canada is trying to restructure the healthcare system to favor IMGs, do you have any information. Well they appear to be making changes. Read answer to No. 6 above.
8. Which state do you consider the best for IMGs. [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][b]If you wanna get into a PRA, BC and Sask and Manitoba seem to be more favourable however they are competitive. Alberta is favourable for IMG matching because they match IMGs separately from canadian/us med grads. However it is still highly competitive. This doesn't mean that imgs fron other provinces haven't matched but as you know img matching is highly competitive.[/fo[/b]nt]

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks.
Answers embedded above

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 12:34am On Dec 09, 2017
vcole:
Hi y'all. Please I need to renew my Nigerian passport. I know I'll have to fill the app online and then go to Ottawa but does anyone know the turn around time? Would I get it the same day or would they send it to me? Would I need an agent to expedite the process? Cc: @blackbuddy, maternal et al

You should get it the same day IF you do EVERYTHING correctly. I saw people come from Alberta and their passport was rejected because they didn't follow proper instructions. I got mine the same day. Also I wouldn't trust the Nigerian gov to mail such an important document. Try come in the morning. The earlier the better.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 2:47am On Dec 09, 2017
maternal:

You should get it the same day IF you do EVERYTHING correctly. I saw people come from Alberta and their passport was rejected because they didn't follow proper instructions. I got mine the same day. Also I wouldn't trust the Nigerian gov to mail such an important document. Try come in the morning. The earlier the better.
Thanks. Any pointers as to the common "incorrect things" that may cause a rejection? Will plan to spend 2-3 days though as I'll be coming from Calgary.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by henryhemon(m): 3:48am On Dec 09, 2017
bbaby84:

I wonder where you got this info from?

I was on Quora and have read countless people who went CA and it is about having Canadian experience,I may be wrong.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 10:06am On Dec 09, 2017
Chaii.

So yesterday I went to the Fido office at Sheridan Center to get a voucher for the Prepaid SIM I bought earlier.
Base plan = $15.75
Data Addon = $20
Sim Card = $10
Tax = $5 or thereabout.

After I called IRCC for 16 minutes, I was cut-off. Credit exhausted. I don't think I can even receive calls.
Strange enough, it seems you need credit to even receive calls. grin. Note that IRCC number is supposed to be toll free

This Canada hustle no be joke o

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by threadstone(m): 10:19am On Dec 09, 2017
*walks in*

Errr Goo Moreen Ladies an Gentumen.

Finally Reporting to duty from the other side wink wink smiley..

Presently page 151, Strolling back to page 0, this should be an interesting read cool cool

I shall be back afterwards cheesy cheesy

Salut!

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 10:25am On Dec 09, 2017
DatechMan:
Chaii.

So yesterday I went to the Fido office at Sheridan Center to get a voucher for the Prepaid SIM I bought earlier.
Base plan = $15.75
Data Addon = $20
Sim Card = $10
Tax = $5 or thereabout.

After I called IRCC for 16 minutes, I was cut-off. Credit exhausted. I don't think I can even receive calls.
Strange enough, it seems you need credit to even receive calls. grin. Note that IRCC number is supposed to be toll free

This Canada hustle no be joke o
Solution is to get an unlimited nationwide call and text plan. Plans with mins count both incoming and outgoing calls. When we just landed I went on a BYOP and only virginmobile sim could work with my phone. I got the 500mins monthly plan and for the 3 months I was with them my bill always exceeded the plan. I got tired and changed to freedom

9 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DrOBD(m): 11:38am On Dec 09, 2017
vcole:

Answers embedded above

Thank you vcole.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 1:09pm On Dec 09, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Hi, I just checked my email inbox but there's no current email from you. Perhaps it's in your outbox? Please reconfirm.

Hello, it actually went (saw it in "sent" folder)

However, I have copied the mail and resent it to you afresh, outside of the initial mail trail.

God bless.

(1) (2) (3) ... (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.