Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,446 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:36 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (290) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1983651 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by verygoodones1: 2:39pm On May 17, 2018
bump

verygoodones1:
Hello seniors

Oliver twist has come again smiley

Pls which is generally easier, changing money to usd here in naija and carrying to canada

Or transferring via the bank when one opens an a/c over there

Thanks for all the help
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bankylan: 4:33pm On May 17, 2018
Hello everyone.....are there people that live in [MANITOBA AND SASKACHEWAN] Winnipeg, Saskatoon or Regina here? Seems many live in Ontario and Alberta.

I want to ask if the weather in Winnipeg is really bad as being portrayed.......

Also, is there anyone who got provisional nominee and has left the province after a reasonable time. What is the implication of moving out of the province that nominated you after say 6 months or 1 year?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by capsule(m): 4:48pm On May 17, 2018
please which province(s) accepts 'deed gift ' as proof of fund?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 4:54pm On May 17, 2018
rainazoe:
I don't know about CPA Alberta but Ontario and BC are currently processing.

The first step is to mail either office. I favor Ontario because most people have testified they are quite responsive unlike BC. I would write from the BC perspective cos I used them.

Your friend has to either have his transcript ready or do a course by course evaluation WES or any evaluation body. I used my transcript because it was cheaper. The CPA body will send a form to fill and also request ACCA letter of good standing. This can be gotten via email to ACCA.

He will also have to pass an online exam on the overview of CA law and tax which is easy peasy but expensive (CAD537 tax incl).

Once they are satisfied, he send over notarised copied of two IDs and wait for finance dept to tell him the cost of membership. Mine is$965 (excluding tax) because I am still in Nigeria.

Vcole I advise you to use cpa Ontario. Cpa BC is the slowest corporate body I've ever encountered. They respond to emails after 2-4 weeks. Considering that there will be several correspondences, their response time could add 3-4 months to the process time.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 5:08pm On May 17, 2018
bankylan:
Hello everyone.....are there people that live in [MANITOBA AND SASKACHEWAN] Winnipeg, Saskatoon or Regina here? Seems many live in Ontario and Alberta.

I want to ask if the weather in Winnipeg is really bad as being portrayed.......

Also, is there anyone who got provisional nominee and has left the province after a reasonable time. What is the implication of moving out of the province that nominated you after say 6 months or 1 year?

Your nomination can be revoked but any final decision rests in the hands of IRCC.
If a terrible person handles your case, the person can say your misrepresented in your application which can lead to more problems. On the other hand, if a "nice" person handles your case, he can say you are covered under the constitution which guarantees free movements.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Muchaio(m): 5:31pm On May 17, 2018
vascey:

Vcole I advise you to use cpa Ontario. Cpa BC is the slowest corporate body I've ever encountered. They respond to emails after 2-4 weeks. Considering that there will be several correspondences, their response time could add 3-4 months to the process time.

I think it's the whole CPA jare. Ontario too has changed. Now it takes over 1 month to even acknowledge your email. Submitted last document required January 3rd, it wasn't acknowledged until February 6th. Since then, silence. They actually said the process takes at least 12 weeks now due to increased workload. I'm just hoping they free me this month.

This whole waka is a test of patience.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 8:38pm On May 17, 2018
If you are not relocating to CA immediately, allow them to take their time o because once the processing is done, your fees become payable and it is not small money. Mine is $965 and I had to plead for an extension from April to May.

Please did any one leave their fees payable hanging until they were ready? CPA BC said if I don't pay up, I would start all over again.

Muchaio:

I think it's the whole CPA jare. Ontario too has changed. Now it takes over 1 month to even acknowledge your email. Submitted last document required January 3rd, it wasn't acknowledged until February 6th. Since then, silence. They actually said the process takes at least 12 weeks now due to increased workload. I'm just hoping they free me this month.

This whole waka is a test of patience.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by solos007: 11:05pm On May 17, 2018
Please seniors help us to answer oooh...dalu!

verygoodones1:
Hello seniors

Oliver twist has come again smiley

Pls which is generally easier, changing money to usd here in naija and carrying to canada

Or transferring via the bank when one opens an a/c over there

Thanks for all the help
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by solos007: 11:21pm On May 17, 2018
Please Seniors,

How will one move money from a USD domiciliary account opened in Nigeria to Canadian account?

Please Epp oh!

Thank you all!
grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 1:05am On May 18, 2018
Thanks @rainazoe @vascey @muchiao Very useful info.
How long did it take you in total? Is an estimated 4-6mths realistic? Also if you have cpa ontario or bc membership, is it possible to transfer it to anothet province?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 1:29am On May 18, 2018
As regards the question asked about moving funds from account or cash. I recently had to help out with apartment search for new PRs landing soon and I found that quite a number of landlords are asking to see the declaration of cash made at immigration on arrival as proof that you can afford to pay the rent. Also, I found that a lot of landlords, on finding out that I was looking for an apartment for migrants from Nigeria, quickly asked to be sure they were not refugees. This is in stark contrast to my experience last year.
It appears landlords are becoming more stringent on my end, no thanks to the recent publicity about Nigerians on the news.

So anyway, you may need to factor these changes when deciding how much funds you want to travel with or transfer via your bank account.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 5:32am On May 18, 2018
I'd say 6 months is more realistic. Movement between provinces is still unclear to me. I mailed both Ontario and BC and their response confused me really.

vcole:
Thanks @rainazoe @vascey @muchiao Very useful info.
How long did it take you in total? Is an estimated 4-6mths realistic? Also if you have cpa ontario or bc membership, is it possible to transfer it to anothet province?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 5:33am On May 18, 2018
Please do I have to do a list of accompanying and goods to follow for a short landing?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by verygoodones1: 6:57am On May 18, 2018
Merci beaucoup
vcole:
As regards the question asked about moving funds from account or cash. I recently had to help out with apartment search for new PRs landing soon and I found that quite a number of landlords are asking to see the declaration of cash made at immigration on arrival as proof that you can afford to pay the rent. Also, I found that a lot of landlords, on finding out that I was looking for an apartment for migrants from Nigeria, quickly asked to be sure they were not refugees. This is in stark contrast to my experience last year.
It appears landlords are becoming more stringent on my end, no thanks to the recent publicity about Nigerians on the news.

So anyway, you may need to factor these changes when deciding how much funds you want to travel with or transfer via your bank account.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 9:05am On May 18, 2018
Somebody answer pleaee

rainazoe:
Please do I have to do a list of accompanying and goods to follow for a short landing?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:30pm On May 18, 2018
rainazoe:

Well, you're required to provide a list of all goods accompanying you on your landing trip especially if they have appreciable value to avoid getting taxed on them. Any goods you bring on subsequent trips could be taxed, operative word being 'could'. What people do is to get a list of goods coming later, that is, 'goods to follow' and present during short landing so that when you are finally set to come fully, those goods will escape the tax hammer. Hope this clarifies your question.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:52pm On May 18, 2018
solos007:
Please Seniors,

How will one move money from a USD domiciliary account opened in Nigeria to Canadian account?

Please Epp oh!

Thank you all!
grin grin grin

Hi, get the Swift code for your Canadian bank together with the bank code and your account number and give to your Nigerian bank to use and effect an FX wire/funds transfer for you from your Nigerian dom account to your Canadian account.

21 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 3:16pm On May 18, 2018
Thank you Sir. I am clear now.

Blackbuddy:

Well, you're required to provide a list of all goods accompanying you on your landing trip especially if they have appreciable value to avoid getting taxed on them. Any goods you bring on subsequent trips could be taxed, operative word being 'could'. What people do is to get a list of goods coming later, that is, 'goods to follow' and present during short landing so that when you are finally set to come fully, those goods will escape the tax hammer. Hope this clarifies your question.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 4:14pm On May 18, 2018
Hi Canadian family, wishing everyone a great long weekend as we're set to celebrate Victoria Day on Monday.

For those in the GTA, you could check out Nathan Philips Square in Toronto this weekend where they are hosting Urbani_T, a free outdoor event celebrating fashion shows, design workshops, music and art installations with pop up shops and food trucks. I got these few pics this morning as they were setting up for it.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by solos007: 4:56pm On May 18, 2018
Elder Blackbuddy,

Ese
Naghode
Daalụ
Merci beaucoup
Thank you so much for your wonderful response as usual...

Blackbuddy:

Hi, get the Swift code for your Canadian bank together with the bank code and your account number and give to your Nigerian bank to use and effect an FX wire/funds transfer for you from your Nigerian dom account to your Canadian account.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 5:13pm On May 18, 2018
Blackbuddy:
Hi Canadian family, wishing everyone a great long weekend as we're set to celebrate Victoria Day on Monday.

For those in the GTA, you could check out Nathan Philips Square in Toronto this weekend where they are hosting Urbani_T, a free outdoor event celebrating fashion shows, design workshops, music and art installations with pop up shops and food trucks. I got these few pics this morning as they were setting up for it.

For those in Ottawa, we should visit Gatineau park or if anyone knows any other fun place.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 9:07pm On May 18, 2018
AZeD1:

For those in Ottawa, we should visit Gatineau park or if anyone knows any other fun place.

Boss,

I no know how ya plan be this night, I wan go charge phone for theater this night. Then go El furniture warehouse for byward market go reason small.

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 9:19pm On May 18, 2018
maziude:

Boss,

I no know how ya plan be this night, I wan go charge phone for theater this night. Then go El furniture warehouse for byward market go reason small.

grin grin

Buzz me when you get to El furniture. I'll try and hook up with you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 10:12pm On May 18, 2018
AZeD1:

Buzz me when you get to El furniture. I'll try and hook up with you.

Okay boss
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by loudlumi: 12:36am On May 19, 2018
Hello everybody,
Got passport request less than 24hours ago, i can finally take an official space on this thread. I have registered for about 5 pre arrival services today.

I am going to try and enjoy the remaining few months before i and my family move.

Still so excited and grateful for this opportunity.

Please landed seniors i would be asking questions on accommodation, jobs et al.

Please be kind to this Canadian JJC.

32 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Eichie123(m): 7:10am On May 19, 2018
Pls senior in really want to know about this , i applied for a TRV and i want to know do i go about it in finiding a job in canada and how can i get a work permit with that pls need a respond on this pls guys
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rukayatd: 9:15am On May 19, 2018
Pls I have 2 questions.
1. is it advisable to buy tickets for next two months now when I've not gotten pum mail. I submitted passport 2weeks ago. The ticket prices are going up.

2.I don't have a domicilliary account, but my hubby does. I was the primary applicant but I want to send the money back to his account to be put in disciplinary account to make it easy to transfer to Canadian bank and I would show his account if asked for pof

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:14pm On May 19, 2018
bankylan:

Regina here!!! Winters are generally harsh in the cities you named but even though Winnipeg has earned itself the alias "Winterpeg" for being one of the coldest Canadian cities, I can say to you that Regina has been far colder than Winnipeg these last two winters. Saskatoon is just as cold.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 12:25pm On May 19, 2018
Ekaabo. Make I shift for you.

loudlumi:
Hello everybody,
Got passport request less than 24hours ago, i can finally take an official space on this thread. I have registered for about 5 pre arrival services today.

I am going to try and enjoy the remaining few months before i and my family move.

Still so excited and grateful for this opportunity.

Please landed seniors i would be asking questions on accommodation, jobs et al.

Please be kind to this Canadian JJC.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 19, 2018
Affordablerent:

A tenant paid N250K for a two bedroom flat in Lagos, somewhere around Ojo for a year, that's less than the amount many pay for a self contain per month in Canada. Cost of living is different, earning N250K here is living comfortably, some people earning this in Nigeria can afford to pay for a driver, nanny for the kids etc to live the same way in Canada you have to earn about $3000K per month

Contact me for affordable rent
Made x3 of that in Nigeria monthly as a family and we still moved. No regrets whatsoever.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 1:33pm On May 19, 2018
pepe1:

Ok Boss.

Thanks for the clarification.

It is safe to say that the FRSC driving experience letter may not worth the hassles.

It’s useful in Manitoba. After my husband submitted his he now pay $60 less on car insurance monthly and his driving merits went up.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by fnor: 6:07pm On May 19, 2018
redocean:
Guys,

Please has anyone who sent passports to Accra around May 3, 2018 received any feedback on his/her CIC account or PUM from VFS?

I am getting impatient with them. After a long delay at London VO, now Accra seems to be taking their own time.
Hi. I sent our passports on the 2nd of May and my CIC account changed to Approved on the 17th of May. Tracking my application thru vfs my status currently shows the passports are on its way back to Naija from Ghana. Hope this helps

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.