Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (293) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1985285 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cutezain(f): 10:30am On May 24, 2018
Flaj:

You'd have to apply to the NCA for evaluation (You are paying 450 CAD for this). They will ask for your LLB and BL transcripts, and a letter of good standing from your bar association, you may want to start getting these available before leaving Nigeria. After evaluation, you will be given a number of courses to write, You are paying for exams too. When you pass, you'd get a certificate of qualification from them which you will then take to the law society of the province you choose to settle in. Other steps / hurdles will be set by the law society.

Your journey starts here https://flsc.ca/national-committee-on-accreditation-nca/

Thank you very much. Can I pm you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by shadetwins: 10:41am On May 24, 2018
vcole:
yes. The bank can get you one or any mail that they send to your postal address. If you have not decided to stay in Ontario, then you may wanna delay applying for a health card seeing as it would only kick in by d 3rd month.

Hi vcole and other people with info.
please do have an idea where one can get affordable baby clothes/items. Landing in Calgary soon as a pregnant PR. maybe websites or shopping mall.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:03am On May 24, 2018
Abby2017:
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Check your mail please..
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by simiolu1(m): 11:50am On May 24, 2018
TheCongo2, this is for you:

The online education industry can be likened to the car manufacturing industry: there are the Toyotas, Hondas, Benzes, Audis, Porsches and the Rolls Royces. All these cars are made for people but with different target markets and of course different price points. Why buy a $500,000 Rolls Royce to move from point A - B when a $30,000 Toyota Camry would do the same thing?

That is why you should know that Lynda, Udacity, Pluralsight, Treehouse (would henceforth be called the Big 4 for the sake of this discussion) and co cannot be compared to Udemy.

Udemy is a marketplace; it brings learners and teachers together on its platform. Therefore, I can also package a course and put it on Udemy for sale; you can too. So Udemy as a company does not handle the production of its courses; that is left for the teacher. All Udemy wants is that you bring your course, market it yourself and they take a cut from every purchase. This model is entirely different from that of the Big 4 who in most (if not all) cases manage the production of their courses, market them and somehow pay the teachers a percentage of whatever comes in.

This seemingly small difference matters a lot when you think about it.

1. Visit the websites of any of the Big 4, preview any course and compare side-by-side with an Udemy equivalent course teaching the same topic or concept and 9 out of 10 times, the production quality of the courses of the Big 4 would beat that of the Udemy course.

2. The Big 4 usually follow specific guidelines in their courses that beginners most times are not aware of. This is why they all have learning tracks or nanodegrees that aim to take anyone without prior knowledge of a topic to at least junior developer level. A learning track by definition is a combination of courses centred around a particular topic. Though each course can be taken independently, they usually build on knowledge gained in previous courses. Udemy does not have learning tracks or nanodegrees.

Let's consider the case of someone who wants to become an android developer. The Android developer track on Lynda contains a total of 19 courses. Udacity have an Android developer nanodegree that costs ~ $1,000. Without any prior knowledge of programming, enrolling in any of these tracks/nanodegree would take you from zero knowledge to at least Junior developer level. If you want to become at least a Junior Android developer following Udemy route, you will have to handpick the courses you're going to take on the platform from the numerous courses they have available. Believe me, this process is cumbersome especially for a beginner who has not carried out extensive research and does not know what a Junior Android developer should know. In case you are curious, a junior android developer should know be proficient in all the skills that Google outlines here https://developers.google.com/training/certification/associate-android-developer/.

Now, you may be wondering why Udacity/Treehouse would offer nanodegrees for ~ $1,000 when you can handpick 20 courses on Udemy that cost between $15 - $20 and still save a lot! Well, Udemy teachers give assignments but don't ask you to submit; Udacity and Treehouse do. In fact, real people mark your assignments and give you feedback on your coding style, how to improve your code etc. These guys also have Q&A forums where learners ask questions and get answers. The certificate of completion from these guys are also industry recognized. Sometimes, they even help with job search. And last but not the least, they force you to use version control for your assignments which is a skill that you as a beginner didn't even knew you were going to need.

To cut the long story short; you are not just paying for a course or set of courses. Now think about the Rolls Royce vs Toyota comparison and you should get what I mean.

3. If you don't want the learning track/nanodegree option, the Big 4 are subscription based. Pluralsight and Lynda cost $30 per month; I'm not sure the price of Treehouse and Udacity. And there is a difference between buying one course and subscribing to the whole course library. The former gives you access to just one course on the platform; the latter gives you access to all courses on that platform.

So you want to be a web developer? You buy one web development course on Udemy that says it's going to teach you HTML, CSS and JS. Then you download it for offline access. Clap for yourself grin grin. On the other hand, I use $30 to subscribe for one month access to the Lynda library. I will download 2 HTML courses, 3 CSS courses and 5 JS courses all in the same one month! Now compare and contrast, who got the better deal?

Well just so you know, using my LinkedIn premium free trial option, I used Internet Download Manager to download the Become a Google associate developer learning track which contains 19 courses on Lynda/LinkedIn learning. Then I also downloaded 16 Php courses and loads of other courses. Free trial o!

czaratwork one thing developers know is that there is no single source of truth for learning. Over time, we usually know where to go for the best in a particular topic. Lynda, Treehouse, Udemy etc are great places to learn Php! But to learn Laravel (a Php framework) and generally be a better Php developer (mastering text editors, IDEs, asking questions and getting replies), everyone knows that laracasts.com is the place to go. There is a free plan but its subscription is $15/month. Even though Jefferey Way (the owner of Laracasts) is an extremely good teacher, if you ever want to set up authentication for multiple users in a Laravel project (say your project is going to have users, admins, super admins etc like Nairaland), the multi-auth tutorial by devmarketer on youtube is what you should be watching. We know these things because subconsciously, we have learnt how to learn. This in itself is a skill everyone should master. So as a person, do you learn well with videos? What kind of videos keep you engaged? Or do you learn best with books? These are questions you need to answer.

AZeD1 YouTube is great only if you know what you are searching for. There are people who know their onions, teach well, pay attention to their production and also best practices in programming but there are those don't. There is a high chance that you will fall into the hands of the latter at least once when using YouTube. For an experienced person, this is not an issue but for a beginner, you will not know when you are being taught rubbish. In fact, I can forgive someone whose tutorial production is bad; I won't forgive anyone that teaches me to use mysql instead of mysqli for Php database access in 2018 (this is an example of best practice in Php). I will downvote the video too and leave comments to warn others not to take the person serious.

And that is how I ended up typing an epistle cool cool cool

42 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 11:57am On May 24, 2018
TheCongo2 please help me with this response. I have answered your questions. I am supposed to get this feedback to someone today.
Thanks in anticipation.

czaratwork:
sorry just seeing.

Its for stopover abi na layover dem dey call am. I dont know if that will require changing airport though. Wetin i know self.

I am a PR and i am travelling with both my PR card and my Nigerian passport.

I learnt if i am passing through US, I will need their transit visa so i am asking for these other countries.

Thanks all for the response so far. Anticipating detailed response.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wisdom77: 11:59am On May 24, 2018
Hello Seniors,
Pls has anyone here relocated with a niece or nephew, I will like to relocate with my 9yr old niece. How do I go about it?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 12:24pm On May 24, 2018
[quote author=simiolu1 post=678356

czaratwork one thing developers know is that there is no single source of truth for learning. Over time, we usually know where to go for the best in a particular topic. Lynda, Treehouse, Udemy etc are great places to learn Php! But to learn Laravel (a Php framework) and generally be a better Php developer (mastering text editors, IDEs, asking questions and getting replies), everyone knows that laracasts.com is the place to go. There is a free plan but its subscription is $15/month. Even though Jefferey Way (the owner of Laracasts) is an extremely good teacher, if you ever want to set up authentication for multiple users in a Laravel project (say your project is going to have users, admins, super admins etc like Nairaland), the multi-auth tutorial by devmarketer on youtube is what you should be watching. We know these things because subconsciously, we have learnt how to learn. This in itself is a skill everyone should master. So as a person, do you learn well with videos? What kind of videos keep you engaged? Or do you learn best with books? These are questions you need to answer

And that is how I ended up typing an epistle cool cool cool[/quote]

Simiolu 1:

My dear, programming is not fun for me no matter where i go to learn it. I just dont have interest in programming. I can do with scripting, structured query language but not to sit down and write a program to solve a problem. Learning the syntax and semantics of those languages, having to develope the algorithm and all that is not just my calling. Probably if i had gone into IT after i left school, i may have developed interest.

Then for my best learning method, anyone that can impact on me is good. I remember using videos to learn some ACCA courses but now it's difficult for me to sit down behind the screen and learn. Even to learn advanced excel online is a problem. I had to sign up with a church member who volunteered to teach me alongside his students. I have not been able to study the one he drops on my webex account.

I think because a lot is going on around me, i loose concentration easily. Lets see how it goes because i am beginning to deal with those issues. My IT SECURITY dream must not die.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 12:32pm On May 24, 2018
bbaby84:

It depends on if it's just one stop in those countries then an onward journey. Then you don't need. However if you're changing airports e.g YYZ to LHR then LGW to LOS, you'll need a visa. Same thing for the Schengen countries.

Thanks dear but i dont even have all that details. I am just hearing about changing airports for the first time.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 12:33pm On May 24, 2018
AZeD1:

Cybrary is for IT security. Since its free, its a good start.

Okay thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:37pm On May 24, 2018
Good day seniors in the house.

I've been reading this thread from page 1 and I can say that you are one big family here. Thank you.

Please I'd like to know if someone with a Canadian work visa (5years) can relocate his family to Canada.

Thank you as I await your prompt response.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by simiolu1(m): 12:45pm On May 24, 2018
czaratwork

I never expected you to answer my questions. I asked them in order for you to introspect and make decisions. I don't force interests on people; because I believe everyone should be able to pick what suits them. Programming is not for everybody; the way football is not for all. If it's not working for you, then find something else. That's nothing to be ashamed of.

A lot of things motivate us and keep us in the mood to learn. At a time, I was spending 1k naira everyday to go to the Unilag post graduate library to go and watch video tutorials and code. I found out that the environment encouraged me and kept me from sleeping.

A friend of mine is currently on a Cisco scholarship course. He does overnight at work anytime he wants to watch the videos and practice partly because his job does not have strict opening and closing time (he can waltz in at 10am and close by 8pm if he so chooses).

I also find it hard to learn or concentrate when I'm broke. The thing no go just enter head. So you have to minimize the noise or find ways to escape it so that you can achieve your goal.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 2:20pm On May 24, 2018
czaratwork:

Simiolu 1:

My dear, programming is not fun for me no matter where i go to learn it. I just dont have interest in programming. I can do with scripting, structured query language but not to sit down and write a program to solve a problem. Learning the syntax and semantics of those languages, having to develope the algorithm and all that is not just my calling. Probably if i had gone into IT after i left school, i may have developed interest.

You are correct. I took C++ in school as part of my course completion requirement. I scored above 85% in the course but I just didn't enjoy programming. I can't see myself building a career in that field. Programming is not easy or fun for many people.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 2:24pm On May 24, 2018
simiolu1:
czaratwork

I never expected you to answer my questions. I asked them in order for you to introspect and make decisions. I don't force interests on people; because I believe everyone should be able to pick what suits them. Programming is not for everybody; the way football is not for all. If it's not working for you, then find something else. That's nothing to be ashamed of.

A lot of things motivate us and keep us in the mood to learn. At a time, I was spending 1k naira everyday to go to the Unilag post graduate library to go and watch video tutorials and code. I found out that the environment encouraged me and kept me from sleeping.

A friend of mine is currently on a Cisco scholarship course. He does overnight at work anytime he wants to watch the videos and practice partly because his job does not have strict opening and closing time (he can waltz in at 10am and close by 8pm if he so chooses).

I also find it hard to learn or concentrate when I'm broke. The thing no go just enter head. So you have to minimize the noise or find ways to escape it so that you can achieve your goal.

lol @ the embolded.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 2:31pm On May 24, 2018
salford1:

You are correct. I took C++ in school as part of my course completion requirement. I scored above 85% in the course but I just didn't enjoy programming. I can't see myself building a career in that field. Programming is not easy or fun for many people.

Then in school, because the curriculum would only allow them teach you COBOL, BASIC, FORTRAN IV AND FORTRAN 77, you would have to find a way to learn the modern languages. We (my class) had to pay a lecturer to take us on C++. We ended up borrowing courses from other departments because they didn't have core computer courses to teach us. I think it is better now.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by doppler06: 2:41pm On May 24, 2018
I would please like to get the input of CPA members on this.

While waiting for PPR, I started researching the process of obtaining the CPA designation. I am an ACCA member currently. I intend to land in Calgary so I was on the CPA Alberta's site. According to their site, I need to be a citizen or have legal right to work and stuff before I apply and when I do have the rights to work, I'd be needing a basic transcript assessment. I have decided to start with the assessment first.

I don't want the verification wahala of Nigerian degrees (I only evaluated my uk masters with WES for ECA)... so I have opted for IQAS. As IQAS is 13 weeks processing time, by the time they are done, I should have my PPR and be ready to apply for the CPA.

Thankfully, IQAS website is saying that I can send down my transcripts myself and so I don't need to be chasing my school around for transcript as I have a copy already(so its a case of gather and post once).

My concern now is the part where the site says I need to send my original certificates as well and that they'd return those back. Has anyone here sent their originals to IQAS before??..... Cuz I'm not very comfortable with that option at all.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 3:02pm On May 24, 2018
@ Simiolu1

Didn't want to quote your long post. I truly appreciate the fact that you took your time to give me more insight into the online courses industry.

Many thanks bro

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 3:07pm On May 24, 2018
wisdom77:
Hello Seniors,
Pls has anyone here relocated with a niece or nephew, I will like to relocate with my 9yr old niece. How do I go about it?

Please be more specific.
Did you legally adopt your niece? If yes, then you can bring her to Canada as she is your daughter.
If you never legally adopt her then you can't bring her to Canada as she isn't your child.
Under the Canadian immigration laws, you can sponsor a niece only if both of her parents are dead.

Now the tricky part about adoption. If you are trying to adopt your niece after landing in Canada, the adoption process will take much longer given you will have to fullfill the adoption requirement of your province of residence first, and your province will have to approve the adoption before you can go on to adopt and sponsor her to come to Canada.

Have you received your Canadian visa already?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by prideandjoy: 3:23pm On May 24, 2018
Me too, landing in Calgary in July and I'm expecting a baby.
Pls help
shadetwins:

Hi vcole and other people with info.
please do have an idea where one can get affordable baby clothes/items. Landing in Calgary soon as a pregnant PR. maybe websites or shopping mall.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by JKJ6: 5:13pm On May 24, 2018
My people already living in Canny, i hail una o! Please, any idea of the certification that will be best for someone looking for opportunities in Transport and Logistics sector? My family and I will be in Canada in summer for about 3 weeks and return to Nigeria. We plan to relocate by the end of 2019 but before that time, i would like to have a certification in Transport and Logistics that will increase my chances of getting a good job very easily when we finally enter Canada.

Suggestions on the most sought after Canadian certification for Transport and Logistics will be most appreciated.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by walexlo78: 6:44pm On May 24, 2018
Quick question pls my fellow efam. How have you been paying for your ethiopian airlines ticket? I have tried severally to pay with my card but to no avail. Any other reliable option? Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 7:55pm On May 24, 2018
walexlo78:
Quick question pls my fellow efam. How have you been paying for your ethiopian airlines ticket? I have tried severally to pay with my card but to no avail. Any other reliable option? Thanks

Boss, abeg no vex oh... Shey dem no get office ni abi bank account?

Alternatively, you can contact them for quick resolution of your matter.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wisdom77: 7:58pm On May 24, 2018
TheCongo2:

Please be more specific.
Did you legally adopt your niece? If yes, then you can bring her to Canada as she is your daughter.
If you never legally adopt her then you can't bring her to Canada as she isn't your child.
Under the Canadian immigration laws, you can sponsor a niece only if both of her parents are dead.

Now the tricky part about adoption. If you are trying to adopt your niece after landing in Canada, the adoption process will take much longer given you will have to fullfill the adoption requirement of your province of residence first, and your province will have to approve the adoption before you can go on to adopt and sponsor her to come to Canada.

Have you received your Canadian visa already?

Both parents are alive but she presently live with me and I intend to file the adoption papers for her but I want to know if I go through with all the paper work that I can take her with me to Canada. I don't have my visa yet.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 8:08pm On May 24, 2018
wisdom77:

Both parents are alive but she presently live with me and I intend to file the adoption papers for her but I want to know if I go through with all the paper work that I can take her with me to Canada. I don't have my visa yet.

Its possible to bring her along but note that she would never be able to sponsor her parents or other siblings.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 8:09pm On May 24, 2018
wisdom77:

If the adoption is final then yes you can take her with you to Canada. I am just wondering if in Nigeria a person can legally adopt a child whose parents are still alive.

In any case, I will strongly advise you to finish the adoption process first before applying for the visa. This was you can include her on your visa application as your daughter.

I have seen cases where people include non-biological children on permanent visa application with fake birth certificate. If you do this, you may loose your visa in case a DNA test is required.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 8:32pm On May 24, 2018
wisdom77:

Check this page:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/other-relatives/who-you-can-sponsor.html

Depending on your circumstances, there are two options for who you can sponsor.

Option 1: orphaned close relatives
You can sponsor close relatives only if they meet all conditions. This means they must be:

orphaned
under 18
without a:
- spouse
-conjugal partner
-common-law partner
related to you by blood or adoption, such as:
-brothers or sisters
-nephews or nieces
-grandchildren

Option 2: other relative
You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age if you meet all of the conditions, including:

you don't have a living relative you could sponsor instead, such as a:
-spouse
-common-law partner
-conjugal partner
-son or daughter
-parent
-grandparent
-brother or sister
-uncle or aunt
-nephew or niece

you don’t have any of the above-named relatives who is:
-a Canadian citizen
-a permanent resident
-registered Indian under the Indian Act

If the relative you want to sponsor has a spouse, partner, or dependent children who will come with them to Canada you must include them on the same sponsorship application.

Other options: Express Entry
If your relative doesn’t qualify for sponsorship they may still be able to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant through Express Entry. This program:

manages applications for certain economic immigration programs
selects applicants for their:
skills
experience
ability to contribute to Canada’s economy
awards points to some candidates who have family living in Canada

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by walexlo78: 8:37pm On May 24, 2018
Thanks, sure will call them. Just wanted to bounce this off quickly from those that have bought from them.

maziude:

Boss, abeg no vex oh... Shey dem no get office ni abi bank account?

Alternatively, you can contact them for quick resolution of your matter.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 9:49pm On May 24, 2018
wisdom77:
Hello Seniors,

Hi, further to TheCongo2's response above, you will have to formally adopt the child in Nigeria and receive 'leave to remove' the minor from the country (this is evidenced through the adoption papers). Even where you have the express consent of the child's parents to take the child, in the absence of the formal adoption papers and inclusion of the child in your immigration application, Canada will not process the application unless the needful is done. If you're serious, initiate the adoption process now as you plan to process/submit your immigration application.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Eichie123(m): 10:05pm On May 24, 2018
Hello senior pls i would love to get information about TRV. I really want to know how some one with aTRV can get a job and accommodation in canada what are the procees
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 10:24pm On May 24, 2018
Eichie123:
Hello senior pls i would love to get information about TRV. I really want to know how some one with aTRV can get a job and accommodation in canada what are the procees

What do you mean by getting accommodation?
You can't work in Canada as a visitor.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Eichie123(m): 10:28pm On May 24, 2018
Ok, so whst do i do in other to get a redience permit with my TRV, is there no way on how to go about it
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Eichie123(m): 10:29pm On May 24, 2018
TheCongo2:

What do you mean by getting accommodation?
You can't work in Canada as a visitor.
so what do i do how do i go about getting a work permit
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 10:31pm On May 24, 2018
Eichie123:
so what do i do how do i go about getting a work permit

Can you try the Federal Skilled Workers Program ?

https://www.nairaland.com/4472519/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

(1) (2) (3) ... (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.